Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 4 22.22%
Barberton 1 5.56%
Copley 1 5.56%
Highland 2 11.11%
Kent Roosevelt 1 5.56%
Revere 1 5.56%
Tallmadge 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-17, 11:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Suburban League American 2017

What are your expectations for the 2017 season? Can Copley repeat? What team is most likely to overtake them?

Last Season's Standings Through 5/20/16:
Code:
Team			SL	Overall	RS	(Avg)	RA	(Avg)
Copley (Copley)		(10-2)	(16-6)	133	(6.0)	62	(2.8)
Highland (Medina)	(8-4)	(18-9)	144	(5.3)	108	(4.0)
Tallmadge (Tallmadge)	(8-4)	(14-13)	124	(4.6)	138	(5.1)
Aurora (Aurora)		(7-5)	(14-11)	160	(6.4)	118	(4.7)
Roosevelt (Kent)	(5-7)	(13-13)	142	(5.5)	123	(4.7)
Barberton (Barberton)	(2-10)	(8-13)	102	(4.9)	145	(6.9)
Revere (Richfield)	(2-10)	(6-23)	92	(3.2)	176	(6.1)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-17, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
What are your expectations for the 2017 season? Can Copley repeat? What team is most likely to overtake them?

Last Season's Standings Through 5/20/16:
Code:
Team			SL	Overall	RS	(Avg)	RA	(Avg)
Copley (Copley)		(10-2)	(16-6)	133	(6.0)	62	(2.8)
Highland (Medina)	(8-4)	(18-9)	144	(5.3)	108	(4.0)
Tallmadge (Tallmadge)	(8-4)	(14-13)	124	(4.6)	138	(5.1)
Aurora (Aurora)		(7-5)	(14-11)	160	(6.4)	118	(4.7)
Roosevelt (Kent)	(5-7)	(13-13)	142	(5.5)	123	(4.7)
Barberton (Barberton)	(2-10)	(8-13)	102	(4.9)	145	(6.9)
Revere (Richfield)	(2-10)	(6-23)	92	(3.2)	176	(6.1)
IMO, I do not see Copley duplicating last year's season. They lost quite a few seniors, so will be interested to see how they backfill some of those key players lost to graduation. They should be competitive.

Also look to see Highland, Tallmadge, and Aurora all compete for the top spot in the SL American this year. Each of these teams have quite a few starters returning, so it will be tough for Copley to duplicate a repeat.

I'd be curious as to numbers each program has attending tryouts this season?
Old 02-21-17, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Should be a more competitive season than last year. I believe Tallmadge has a solid core returning, with some experienced starting pitching, and a nice lineup. Last year they had a hole to fill behind the plate after Noel graduated, and unless they shore up that piece of their infield this season, that could be a big weakness. Highland will be very talented, yet young. Big spots to fill behind the plate and on the mound, plus Highland always seems hesitant to play talented underclassmen for some reason, which may keep a few of these young kids from contributing early. Copley graduated about 7-8 seniors from last year, but only 3 of them were everyday starters. They will be replaced by a strong junior class group. Copley only returns 2 seniors, one being a two time captain and 4 year starter. What Copley does have is the best pitcher in the league, Tyler Hayes. Solid D1 recruit since sophomore year, who can and dominate any one team on any given day. Aurora will be a year older, with a stud behind the plate, and some pitching returning. Consistency was a big problem for Aurora last season, as they had some bad stretches with multiple error games. Not having that one dominate pitcher will also be a challenge. Other than that, Barberton will be challenged to play close to 500 baseball. New coach, little pitching, tough schedule. Revere made some strides last year, and should be improved. Kent should be interesting also. They do return some experience pitching, plus they no doubt could score some runs last year, and return a good nucleus of those bats this season. Whether they have the everyday lineup to compete for the league title, especially behind the plate, will be the big question.
Old 02-21-17, 01:17 PM
All District

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Not the strongest league top to bottom but I like Tallmadge to win it this year. I think Copley will finish a close second.
Old 02-22-17, 07:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Should be a more competitive season than last year. I believe Tallmadge has a solid core returning, with some experienced starting pitching, and a nice lineup. Last year they had a hole to fill behind the plate after Noel graduated, and unless they shore up that piece of their infield this season, that could be a big weakness. Highland will be very talented, yet young. Big spots to fill behind the plate and on the mound, plus Highland always seems hesitant to play talented underclassmen for some reason, which may keep a few of these young kids from contributing early. Copley graduated about 7-8 seniors from last year, but only 3 of them were everyday starters. They will be replaced by a strong junior class group. Copley only returns 2 seniors, one being a two time captain and 4 year starter. What Copley does have is the best pitcher in the league, Tyler Hayes. Solid D1 recruit since sophomore year, who can and dominate any one team on any given day. Aurora will be a year older, with a stud behind the plate, and some pitching returning. Consistency was a big problem for Aurora last season, as they had some bad stretches with multiple error games. Not having that one dominate pitcher will also be a challenge. Other than that, Barberton will be challenged to play close to 500 baseball. New coach, little pitching, tough schedule. Revere made some strides last year, and should be improved. Kent should be interesting also. They do return some experience pitching, plus they no doubt could score some runs last year, and return a good nucleus of those bats this season. Whether they have the everyday lineup to compete for the league title, especially behind the plate, will be the big question.
Will be interesting to see with the new pitch rules in high school this year, how Copley uses Hayes. I know on a few times last year former Copley coach was criticized on his use of Hayes on short days rest with the number of pitches he had thrown a few days before. Also, Copley has a new coach this year, so will be curious to see how the team responds.

Agree Aurora showed some inconsistency last year, but they have some talent in their junior class and are led by a few good seniors. Rumor has it, former coach that stepped away last year from helping will be back this year, which may provide some stability.

Tallmadge shored up the catcher position last year toward end of the season with an underclassmen securing the position and he did a great job defensively. Hard to replace the defense, bat, and leadership of a Matt Noel. But the kid did a very good job for an underclassmen. As he matures and gets bigger/stronger he will be one of top catchers in SL in year's to come. They return a number of 2 year starters since freshmen year, so they have the experience, talent, and the arm depth on the mound. Could be a break out year for this team.

Highland will be interesting this year. You hit the nail on the head that the coach is notorious for not giving underclassmen to many chances as he is committed to his upperclassmen. But this year, Highland has a talented junior class. While you mention Hayes as being top pitcher in league, don't be surprised if two of Highland's juniors challenge him for that title. They both have been throwing mid to upper 80's early this year, with good offspeed stuff. I think this team will be much better than some might expect this year.

As for Barberton, Kent, Revere.....not really sure what to expect from them this year. I would assume much the same as we have seen the last few years.
Old 02-27-17, 12:00 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
I missed that Copley coach isn't there any more. Did I hear he's AD? And did he then step down as baseball coach? So, who's the new baseball coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-17, 09:25 AM
All Ohio

Yes, he is AD and believed he stepped down because of it. Assistant Coach from last year is now HC I have heard.
Old 02-27-17, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Ray Fantozzi new Copley head coach. Interesting, he was former coach (Chupa) head coach in high school. Chupa hired him as his top assistant after he got Copley job 7 years ago. Apparently school rules wouldn't allow Chupa to have both AD and baseball head coach. Fantozzi has many years of experience as high school head coach, plus he's coach with Diamond Boys travel organization. So far transition has been pretty smooth with a predominately junior/senior roster.
Old 03-07-17, 04:19 PM
Go Buckeyes

Any updates on rosters this year? Anyone not playing that was expected. New move-ins?

How many schools are fielding a Freshmen team this year? Seems to be a downward trend for Freshmen teams across the state.
Old 03-07-17, 05:07 PM
All Ohio

Copley varsity roster consists of 2 seniors, 12 juniors, one sophomore. Return 6 starters, plus 9 or 10 with varsity experience. Big freshman turnout. Enough to field a freshman team, plus more than a few freshman will play jv. But I'm sure varsity roster could change somewhat as season progresses, just like most squads.
Old 03-07-17, 05:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Copley varsity roster consists of 2 seniors
Tallmadge has one. Are there any teams in the league with a large Senior class?
Old 03-08-17, 09:21 AM
All Ohio

Interesting situation with seemingly so few seniors now coming out to play their last year of high school baseball. Certainly could be multiple reasons, but in Copley, the majority of the seniors who apparently elected not to return for their last year, have received college opportunities in other sports, mainly soccer and football. Their priority obviously has changed to train for their college sport, rather than play high school baseball.
Old 03-08-17, 12:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Interesting situation with seemingly so few seniors now coming out to play their last year of high school baseball. Certainly could be multiple reasons, but in Copley, the majority of the seniors who apparently elected not to return for their last year, have received college opportunities in other sports, mainly soccer and football. Their priority obviously has changed to train for their college sport, rather than play high school baseball.
Hit,
This is becoming an ever increasing trend in high school sports. I am seeing fewer and fewer multi sport athletes quit other sports to focus on one sport that they intend to pursue at the next level. Sadly enough the day of the multi sport athlete is becoming obsolete. I wish it weren't the case because many schools are suffering from lack of participation numbers and the ability to compete because of it. The larger public open enrollment schools seem to be fine but the smaller non open enrollment schools that have little to choose from really get hit hard with talent when this happens across multiple sports.
Old 03-08-17, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

Excellent observation BlueDevil Backer. The seniors who elected not to return at Copley would have been contributors for sure. Just lucky that the junior class is so deep and talented, that I doubt the seniors will really be missed. But I can see where another school in a similar situation might not be so fortunate to remain competitive without all the returning seniors. Understand Tallmadge only has one returning senior. But again, I know you have a deep and talented group of Juniors also. Either way, hard to imagine the day has come when a baseball program steeped in great baseball tradition as Tallmadge, only will have one senior in the program. Couldn't see that happening in the days of Dave Young, lol.
Old 03-08-17, 03:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Couldn't see that happening in the days of Dave Young, lol.
I'm not sure it's going to get any better in the years to come. Baseball participation in Tallmadge youth baseball is way down. The days of having 40-60 boys in a grade playing Little League baseball are in the past.
Old 03-09-17, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm not sure it's going to get any better in the years to come. Baseball participation in Tallmadge youth baseball is way down. The days of having 40-60 boys in a grade playing Little League baseball are in the past.
Yappi,

I think many local community little league programs and rec programs for baseball have been declining for a number of reasons; from the playing rules and regulations becoming stale, lack of quality volunteers providing instruction, all star or tournament team selections, etc. But the #1 factor in my mind is travel baseball becoming more prevalent at younger ages. I'm seeing travel programs start as early as 8-9 years old. Parents have become enamored with the concept of travel baseball thinking that if my kid does not start early he will fall behind or they feel some excitement by saying my kid plays for a travel organization. Or because they start at such a young age in travel baseball they are assured to get a college scholarship.

I feel a lot of parents are not educated fully. Travel baseball before the age of 13, is really not very good baseball. Kids 8-12 are still learning the game and developing their skills. Bottom line, if a kid is athletic and has the baseball knowledge and skills he or she will be seen, he or she will become a good player irrelevant if they play travel baseball or in their local community league. I have seen many bad travel baseball players that get cut from a high school team.....so what you grow up playing and where does not give you the desired outcome all the time. It's about the player and how they develop through the years.

My advice......don't spend your $$$ playing for just any travel team in their younger years because it's watered down at those ages. Stay in your local league and if you desire spend your $$$ on seeking a good coach/instructor for private lessons to help your kid work on proper techniques with hitting, pitching, throwing, fielding, running etc. He can apply those in his local league. Keep in mind all kids are not created equal and they develop at different times of their life.

Plenty of time at ages 13+ to find travel teams and test your skills to see athletically where you stack up.
Old 03-09-17, 05:14 PM
Freshman

Lefty Baseball Mom is on a distinguished road
Travel before 13u

While I agree with Blue Devil in theory; unfortunately most of the rec options available today are sorely lacking in proper instruction, full of community politics and in some situations; put the physical well being of young pitchers at risk.

Do I agree there are so many travel options available today that teams are watered down? Absolutely. But being an informed consumer is a powerful thing. Qualified clubs for young players do exist.

In my experience with my 8u, 10u and 12u players; I see a lot of their friends dropping a sport due to old fashioned burnout.

Everything is year round anymore. Baseball starts in October and ends in July. Basketball starts in April and ends in March. Now add football, soccer or hockey and these kids are playing year round; 2 sports at a time and trying to juggle friends and school.

It's not surprising by the time a player gets to high school and their senior year -- they have had enough. Unfortunately, I also don't see the easy way to fix what is a societal problem.

I wish my kids could play in town and save me $$ on travel ball. As a matter of fact; we "subbed" a few times last season on our community travel team in hopes of just that. I learned that things like pitch count and rest days have no relevance when Dad Coaches are trying to win a tournament. I guess I would rather spend my money on travel ball today than Tommy Johns surgery tomorrow.
Old 03-10-17, 11:38 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Baseball Mom View Post
While I agree with Blue Devil in theory; unfortunately most of the rec options available today are sorely lacking in proper instruction, full of community politics and in some situations; put the physical well being of young pitchers at risk.
There was a time in the past where travel baseball didn't exist until the teenage years. Everyone that played baseball up to the age of 12 was playing in their rec league. The leagues were strong, competitive, and reasonably well-coached.

We've entered a period where too many kids have left these rec leagues which has devastated those programs. Some are shutting down and others are barely hanging on. The kids that left are playing a new brand of travel ball that is the equivalent of old rec leagues from 25 years ago. It is an unfortunate situation because it is hurting the participation levels of baseball while not improving the overall product.
Old 03-10-17, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Baseball Mom View Post

Do I agree there are so many travel options available today that teams are watered down? Absolutely. But being an informed consumer is a powerful thing. Qualified clubs for young players do exist.

In my experience with my 8u, 10u and 12u players; I see a lot of their friends dropping a sport due to old fashioned burnout.

Everything is year round anymore. Baseball starts in October and ends in July. Basketball starts in April and ends in March. Now add football, soccer or hockey and these kids are playing year round; 2 sports at a time and trying to juggle friends and school.

It's not surprising by the time a player gets to high school and their senior year -- they have had enough. Unfortunately, I also don't see the easy way to fix what is a societal problem.

I wish my kids could play in town and save me $$ on travel ball. As a matter of fact; we "subbed" a few times last season on our community travel team in hopes of just that. I learned that things like pitch count and rest days have no relevance when Dad Coaches are trying to win a tournament. I guess I would rather spend my money on travel ball today than Tommy Johns surgery tomorrow.
I agree with this. When I was in high school, I played 3 sports, but it was so much different then. When football was over, basketball began. I didn't think about football again until the next year. Then, when basketball was over, baseball began. Again, I didn't pick up a basketball until the next season. Baseball ended, I started training for football. Now, sports are so specialized that if you aren't training year round for a sport, you are falling behind. It's so hard to excel now in 3 sports. By the time these kids are seniors, if they are planning on playing at the next level, they generally concentrate on that sport year round.
Old 03-10-17, 03:21 PM
All Region

RAP
H2 what is really sad is in regards to your last comment. Many plan on playing at the next level but very few do. I would like to hear from some of those athletes, that graduated in the last 5-10 years, and hear how they feel now about dropping other sports to specialize. I know you are familiar with the Tallmadge athletes like I am and what I find interesting is the one kid who played 3 sports for Tallmadge is the one who went on to play D1. I give Rensel credit for continuing to play football. basketball and baseball.
Old 03-10-17, 03:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

The worst part about it is that baseball scholarships only make a dent in the total tuition. Unlike other sports, baseball usually splits up their scholarships so even those that are on scholarship are still paying a significant chunk of money to play at a school.

Unfortunately for NCAA DI baseball, they carry 35 players on a team and only have 11.7 scholarships to divvy up to the top players.
Old 03-10-17, 05:56 PM
All Ohio

That's why the academic achievements, and subsequent monies available for academic success, far outweigh the relative pittance of baseball scholarship money available from most colleges. Lesson learned, do the research, find the schools that have the most academic monies, plus a healthy endowement fund, and a quality baseball program. In our case, my son was able to garner 4 times as much academic money than the relative small amount of baseball scholarship money the college offered him. Bottom line, keep those grades up, and the final benefit will be well worth it.
Old 03-10-17, 05:58 PM
All Ohio

See I have to disagree at the high school level that most kids pick 1 sport to specialize. While I believe that is the popular reason to use, it is nothing more than a cover for the real reasons. IMO kids quit playing sports in high school for other interests that become more important to them than the sport they chose to quit, quit because of lack of playing time, quit because of a coach, or the sport is no longer fun for them (or burnout).

I think RAP makes a great observation, a large portion of kids who talk about playing at next level and get the chance, exit that sport after a year at the next level.
Old 03-11-17, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
See I have to disagree at the high school level that most kids pick 1 sport to specialize. While I believe that is the popular reason to use, it is nothing more than a cover for the real reasons. IMO kids quit playing sports in high school for other interests that become more important to them than the sport they chose to quit, quit because of lack of playing time, quit because of a coach, or the sport is no longer fun for them (or burnout).

I think RAP makes a great observation, a large portion of kids who talk about playing at next level and get the chance, exit that sport after a year at the next level.
Some truth here too. I know of several seniors a couple years ago, that quit baseball their senior year for those very reasons. 4 of them in all. Ranging from playing time to coach issues. Only one of them played another sport (football). The other 3 did not play a sport at all their senior year (correct me if I'm wrong). I do think other interests (girls) and burnout do play a major role too.
Old 03-12-17, 01:31 PM
Go Buckeyes

Just added a poll to this thread for who will be the SLA Champion this season...
Old 03-15-17, 10:35 AM
All Ohio

Any Aurora backers out there have any updates on the injury to Bubba Arslanian during the state wrestling championships? Understand he possibly injured a knee, resulting in him defaulting the remaining matches in Columbus. If or how that may effect his baseball playing status could be a huge issue for Aurora baseball. Hers's hoping the injury, if true, isn't serious enough to keep him off the diamond for any extended period of time.

Last edited by Hitnrun; 03-15-17 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 04:49 PM
Go Buckeyes

That would be a tough loss for Aurora. Hopefully it's not too serious and he can be back on the diamond before the regular season starts.
Old 03-25-17, 09:15 PM
Go Buckeyes

Games today:

Tallmadge 6, Lake 5
Tallmadge 6, Ellet 2

Any other SLA games?
Old 03-25-17, 09:22 PM
Go Buckeyes

Revere 14, Cuyahoga Falls 3
Old 03-25-17, 09:35 PM