Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #2371  
Old 07-17-17, 02:00 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,899
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I'm hoping Disco and Finnigan can return and throw an inning or two of BP in some games this year too. ERA is unimportant to me.
Finnigan is on the 60 day DL, had labrum surgery on his right shoulder a few weeks ago and won't pitch anymore this year. Disco is slated to return in August.

I want Disco to come back and be able to make 7-8 starts pain free, and build up some strength.

My wish for 2018 is that Bailey/ Disco are ready for spring training, with Castillo, Reed, Davis, Stephenson, Mahle, Hernandez, Adelman, Garrett all able to compete for spots in the rotation. What's your plan EP? Just go get Arrieta, Kershaw and David Price and start winning??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2372  
Old 07-17-17, 02:13 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
My plan is to acquire a couple Snydergaard-type pitchers by dealing Suarez and Cozart and tank the rest of this year and next for a couple top-3 draft picks.
Reply With Quote
  #2373  
Old 07-17-17, 04:24 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,838
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with your synopsis on Homer needs to pitch. They are paying him number 1 money to do just that. Anyone that expected him to improve his career numbers at this point after injury is fooling themselves. I thinks it more just razzing you a bit.
According to 14Red we are paying him to be a #4 starter.

Quote:
I'm tired of explaining Homer's situation to you guys who simply don't understand the big picture.
I'm not sure I need to explain the irony of that phrase coming from you. You were definitely in the camp that didn't realize when the window had closed and the rebuild needed to start.
Reply With Quote
  #2374  
Old 07-17-17, 04:56 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
According to 14Red we are paying him to be a #4 starter.



I'm not sure I need to explain the irony of that phrase coming from you. You were definitely in the camp that didn't realize when the window had closed and the rebuild needed to start.
he wanted to keep and start Phillips this year.
Reply With Quote
  #2375  
Old 07-17-17, 05:39 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
he wanted to keep and start Phillips this year.
Phillips is batting .291 with an OPS of .780

Peraza is batting .253 with an OPS of .607


I'm sure glad the Reds saved that million dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #2376  
Old 07-17-17, 05:41 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
My plan is to acquire a couple Snydergaard-type pitchers by dealing Suarez and Cozart and tank the rest of this year and next for a couple top-3 draft picks.
Who is this Snydergaard guy you keep referencing? I'm disappointed in Taco that he didn't call you out on that screw up yet. He's slipping.
Reply With Quote
  #2377  
Old 07-17-17, 06:19 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,838
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Phillips is batting .291 with an OPS of .780

Peraza is batting .253 with an OPS of .607


I'm sure glad the Reds saved that million dollars.
Are you serious?
Reply With Quote
  #2378  
Old 07-17-17, 06:24 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Are you serious?
Yes, he's a certifiable moron.
Reply With Quote
  #2379  
Old 07-17-17, 06:27 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Who is this Snydergaard guy you keep referencing? I'm disappointed in Taco that he didn't call you out on that screw up yet. He's slipping.
Oh that's right, because he corrected you and you have a case of the aśś over it.
Reply With Quote
  #2380  
Old 07-17-17, 07:14 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Are you serious?
Yep. Those stats are correct and the Reds saved a million dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #2381  
Old 07-17-17, 07:15 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yes, he's a certifiable moron.
Says the buffoon who keeps misspelling Noah Syndergaard....
Reply With Quote
  #2382  
Old 07-17-17, 07:25 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Says the buffoon who keeps misspelling Noah Syndergaard....
I don't even care, it's not like I'm going to keep crying about it and bring it up over and over again like a huge vag.
Reply With Quote
  #2383  
Old 07-17-17, 10:27 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,838
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Yep. Those stats are correct and the Reds saved a million dollars.
It's hilarious that you think keeping a 36 year old batting 0.38 points higher is more valuable than the million dollars saved plus major league experience of an up and coming player who is 13 years younger. Especially during a rebuild phase for a small market team.
Reply With Quote
  #2384  
Old 07-17-17, 10:42 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
It's hilarious that you think keeping a 36 year old batting 0.38 points higher is more valuable than the million dollars saved plus major league experience of an up and coming player who is 13 years younger. Especially during a rebuild phase for a small market team.
It's hilarious that you think that is what I said.
Reply With Quote
  #2385  
Old 07-18-17, 06:41 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Not sure why Indiandad is comparing Peraza and Phillips, indiandad wanted to keep Phillips and force him to the bench. Apparently he thought having Phillips moping on the bench all year would be a good idea. Even funnier.
Reply With Quote
  #2386  
Old 07-18-17, 06:42 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,752
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Who is this Snydergaard guy you keep referencing? I'm disappointed in Taco that he didn't call you out on that screw up yet. He's slipping.
Butthurt baby so petty he brings it up a month later
Reply With Quote
  #2387  
Old 07-18-17, 06:44 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,752
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Not sure why Indiandad is comparing Peraza and Phillips, indiandad wanted to keep Phillips and force him to the bench. Apparently he thought having Phillips moping on the bench all year would be a good idea. Even funnier.
And it's on Price to figure out how to deal with a sh*tty Phillips on the bench. He's a grown azz man, you can't force him to accept a role. If he doesn't (unlikely to happen) you recommend dealing him. Which Price did. That was a whole level of dumb that was highly entertaining.
Reply With Quote
  #2388  
Old 07-18-17, 08:19 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
And it's on Price to figure out how to deal with a sh*tty Phillips on the bench. He's a grown azz man, you can't force him to accept a role. If he doesn't (unlikely to happen) you recommend dealing him. Which Price did. That was a whole level of dumb that was highly entertaining.
Or...... cut him. He wanted to play. Another team would have made him a respectable offer which he would have accepted and in turn nullified his contract with the Reds.

Savings of $13M.

Trading him under the conditions that it happened was a bad trade.

Saving $13M could have been the difference in signing Robert Louis.
Reply With Quote
  #2389  
Old 07-18-17, 08:21 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Butthurt baby so petty he brings it up a month later
Just praising you on your efforts as the resident grammar police.
Reply With Quote
  #2390  
Old 07-18-17, 08:22 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 1,899
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
he wanted to keep and start Phillips this year.
EP, once again, you are wrong. I completely understand the Reds in why they wanted to move Phillips. Completely understand, I just was saying that it didn't necessarily have to be that way. You could have moved Cozart, who was much cheaper than Phillips, and started the season with Peraza at short, where he will ultimately end up.
My main point was that in pro sports, fans are very willing to spend the owners money. The Reds are paying their own 2nd basemen this year, Peraza and Scooter, and also basically paying for Atlanta's 2nd baseman as well. Now these pro team seem to have plenty of money and in some cases it's just not an issue.
Personally, I would have loved to see BP finish his contract here, then either look for another team to play for or retire a Red. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #2391  
Old 07-18-17, 08:34 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,752
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Just praising you on your efforts as the resident grammar police.
One correction = efforts. Well it's better than being the village idiot, a title you and 14Red seem to proudly sport.
Reply With Quote
  #2392  
Old 07-18-17, 08:49 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,752
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Or...... cut him. He wanted to play. Another team would have made him a respectable offer which he would have accepted and in turn nullified his contract with the Reds.

Savings of $13M.

Trading him under the conditions that it happened was a bad trade.

Saving $13M could have been the difference in signing Robert Louis.
I might be mixing this up with the other major sports but I thought that if the Reds cut him and Atlanta signs him for, say, $6 million, the Reds would still have to pay $8 million? Either way, I'm guessing there were more complications to it than that. I doubt Castellini would sign off on paying millions he didn't have to.

Are you talking about Luis Robert?
Reply With Quote
  #2393  
Old 07-18-17, 09:07 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
You're correct. The Reds would have to make up the difference in Phillips guaranteed $13m, which likely would have been $12.5m as no team would have paid Phillips much more than the league minimum. Indiandad is a moron.
Reply With Quote
  #2394  
Old 07-18-17, 09:20 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
EP, once again, you are wrong. I completely understand the Reds in why they wanted to move Phillips. Completely understand, I just was saying that it didn't necessarily have to be that way. You could have moved Cozart, who was much cheaper than Phillips, and started the season with Peraza at short, where he will ultimately end up.
My main point was that in pro sports, fans are very willing to spend the owners money. The Reds are paying their own 2nd basemen this year, Peraza and Scooter, and also basically paying for Atlanta's 2nd baseman as well. Now these pro team seem to have plenty of money and in some cases it's just not an issue.
Personally, I would have loved to see BP finish his contract here, then either look for another team to play for or retire a Red. But that's just me.
Of course I'm 100% correct, you wanted the Reds to keep and start Phillips, this post above even says so.
Reply With Quote
  #2395  
Old 07-18-17, 10:02 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post

Are you talking about Luis Robert?
Way to go Taco! I knew I could get you back on that horse
Reply With Quote
  #2396  
Old 07-18-17, 10:09 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You're correct. The Reds would have to make up the difference in Phillips guaranteed $13m, which likely would have been $12.5m as no team would have paid Phillips much more than the league minimum. Indiandad is a moron.
Incorrect. Article XIX (I believe) States that a 5/10 player that gets waived can refuse waivers and get paid what is left on his contract however if another team offers said player a contract and the player accepts then the original contract is void.

How badly did Phillips want to keep playing? Considering he said multiple times that he wants another contract after this season, I'd bet he would have taken the deal. If not you're only out a million dollars or slightly over 1% of your payroll with the chance to save 15%. The risk certainly would have been worth the reward imo.
Reply With Quote
  #2397  
Old 07-18-17, 10:31 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
Fake coolin' off
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 66,739
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Incorrect. Article XIX (I believe) States that a 5/10 player that gets waived can refuse waivers and get paid what is left on his contract however if another team offers said player a contract and the player accepts then the original contract is void.

How badly did Phillips want to keep playing? Considering he said multiple times that he wants another contract after this season, I'd bet he would have taken the deal. If not you're only out a million dollars or slightly over 1% of your payroll with the chance to save 15%. The risk certainly would have been worth the reward imo.
Point me to this provision.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/4923509.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #2398  
Old 07-18-17, 10:42 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 1,752
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Way to go Taco! I knew I could get you back on that horse
Robert Louis and Luis Robert are two entirely different people. So uh..congrats on "getting" me by asking clarification on a player? Man, how pathetic is your life you're still this butthurt about being stupid and using "except" instead of "accept?"
Reply With Quote
  #2399  
Old 07-18-17, 11:10 AM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 2,838
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Incorrect. Article XIX (I believe) States that a 5/10 player that gets waived can refuse waivers and get paid what is left on his contract however if another team offers said player a contract and the player accepts then the original contract is void.

How badly did Phillips want to keep playing? Considering he said multiple times that he wants another contract after this season, I'd bet he would have taken the deal. If not you're only out a million dollars or slightly over 1% of your payroll with the chance to save 15%. The risk certainly would have been worth the reward imo.
Some team would have had to pay Phillips more than he was guaranteed on the remainder of his Cincinnati contract for the to be even in the realm of a good decision. As EP mentioned, I doubt anyone would have paid him much over the league minimum. Pretty hard to walk away from millions all for the love of the game.

Trading him was the only realistic way to get out of paying some of the contract. There is absolutely no guarantee that Phillips gets another competitive contract if the Reds cut him and they would be paying even more money than they are now.
Reply With Quote
  #2400  
Old 07-18-17, 12:02 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 897
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Robert Louis and Luis Robert are two entirely different people. So uh..congrats on "getting" me by asking clarification on a player? Man, how pathetic is your life you're still this butthurt about being stupid and using "except" instead of "accept?"
So is Syndergaard and Snydergaard....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boys State Championships (1976-2016) Yappi Boys Soccer 1 03-20-17 01:02 AM
Ohio Week 7 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:13 PM
Ohio Week 6 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:10 PM
Ohio Week 5 Schedule EagleFan St Edward Eagles 1 07-26-16 02:06 PM
2015 Football Conferences Yappi Football 34 08-03-15 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz