Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Old 07-10-19, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Good article from Toledo Blade on State of the Sport of Baseball

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/a...es/20190629018

The absolute best quote is from former college player and longtime college coach Rich Pivoriunas..."We have coaches [dads] identifying 9 year olds as travel baseball players, and taking away the ability for kids to develop talent on their own."
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-19, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/a...es/20190629018

The absolute best quote is from former college player and longtime college coach Rich Pivoriunas..."We have coaches [dads] identifying 9 year olds as travel baseball players, and taking away the ability for kids to develop talent on their own."
I have seen them even younger than 9.
Old 07-10-19, 11:55 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get how one immediately leads to the other.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-19, 01:40 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get how one immediately leads to the other.
The death of the local rec leagues is likely a dead end for some really good athletes who don't have any other avenue to play the sport (or to fall in love with it).

Too many parents are happy about this. If keeping a more talented athlete out of a sport means their child has a better chance for success, they are all for it.
Old 07-10-19, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
The death of the local rec leagues is likely a dead end for some really good athletes who don't have any other avenue to play the sport (or to fall in love with it).

Too many parents are happy about this. If keeping a more talented athlete out of a sport means their child has a better chance for success, they are all for it.
Bingo.

Baseball has become very much like hockey. No matter how talented you are once you fall behind in the skill category it I tough to catch up. So, essentially the only kids playing baseball anymore are the ones whose dads push them into it and agree to pay big $ and fundraise and give up every weekend April through July travelling. You just bottlenecked your talent pool at 8U/9U to a select group of kids who may or may not be the best.

Disclaimer: I understand things are still different in communities outside of Urban/Suburban centers. Defiance and Bryan come to mind.
Old 07-10-19, 02:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

Honestly I was just looking for clarity on what we were actually talking about. Because in my opinion that quote could be taken a few different ways. I don't completely agree with your opinion or completely disagree either. I have a very nuanced opinion on this subject. I just don't have the time at the moment to get it all out. I will try at a later time though. I do like the article though.

Old 07-10-19, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
There is way too much that is going on in baseball to say that the travel ball is pricing kids out of baseball. Way, way too much. There are many levels of ball out there where it does not cost that much. The reality is that the rec leagues do not play a very good brand of baseball in general. The games are boring and do not resemble what the kids are watching on TV. They get bored and move on. Also, the rec leagues get very "organized" with dominant authorities that make some rules that cause people to scratch their heads. Is 8, 9, 10 too early. Yes. But the kids in any league need to be taught the correct techniques so that they play the game with a good flow. Baseball is not a game where athleticism only is the dominant way to win the game.
Old 07-10-19, 09:57 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
There might be alot of travel ball but the path to find a team is much harder than it was 30 years ago. Back then, you just went down to the community league, signed up, and paid a few bucks. All your friends were signing up too.

Now you have to actively be looking to play baseball. For the parents that love the sport, there are plenty of opportunities. The passive players of the past are the ones that are being left out today. Too many kids today never even think about baseball because they don't know where to start looking for it.

Personally, I experienced this with soccer. My kids had a mild interest in the sport and it was very difficult to find a league. Too many of their friends were already playing on "select" teams that had tryouts months ago or the team had no openings. The community league was in shambles and impossible to find info. Maybe my kids would have turned into soccer superstars, I'll never know.

As a baseball/softball person, that was never an issue. I always knew when the tryouts/signups were and tried to spread the info. Always felt bad when a kid showed interest months too late.
Old 07-11-19, 03:35 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, it's like any other sport....it's not fun to play for or against bad teams. Summer baseball is no different than HS baseball, watching a 24-1 game is awful...as it is awful for both teams. You get that a lot in Rec games because 1) a couple kids can dominate a game and 2) some rec teams just don't care, while others do. This leads to blowouts and unhappy players on both sides. The better players generally want to play against better competition, so they look to travel. Unfortunately for many, they see "travel" and just assume it will be a good team playing good competition, which is far from the case. I have seen 13U travel teams that would be 80% of the HS teams in Ohio....and I've seen 16U teams that wouldn't beat some local Little Leagues. You really have to research who/where you're playing if you're going to put your kid on a team....at any level. You also need to have a realistic idea of where your kid fits. Taking a kid with little talent to a tryout for an upper level travel team just makes the kid feel bad. Putting a really talented kid on a travel team that's filled with a bunch of kids whose dads are the coaches isn't a good fit either. He'll play RF, while the coach's kids pitch, play SS and bat in the top 5 spots in the order.
Old 07-11-19, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
There is way too much that is going on in baseball to say that the travel ball is pricing kids out of baseball. Way, way too much. There are many levels of ball out there where it does not cost that much. The reality is that the rec leagues do not play a very good brand of baseball in general. The games are boring and do not resemble what the kids are watching on TV. They get bored and move on. Also, the rec leagues get very "organized" with dominant authorities that make some rules that cause people to scratch their heads. Is 8, 9, 10 too early. Yes. But the kids in any league need to be taught the correct techniques so that they play the game with a good flow. Baseball is not a game where athleticism only is the dominant way to win the game.
My son just finished high school. Our districted little league did not have a coach pitch division. You went from T-Ball to kid pitch. Crazy strike zones and getting hit the head type stuff. So my son played on a travel coach pitch team and has played select every year since. I am embarrassed that I had to do it. It is what it is. I don't see any other option. So, I agree. Many factors as to why.
Old 07-14-19, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
When my boys are done with college ball, I'll likely go back to coaching rec ball for the first age group of kid pitch. Put me with the first time coach that's willing to deal with all the parents, even the whiny ones, and doesn't really know baseball.

I'm proud to say that I won't be treating any one any differently than I did when I had kids of my own playing. I am looking forward to it.
Old 07-15-19, 06:04 PM
All Ohio

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I am going back to umpiring after my kid finishes up next year. I am going to try to bring back a little presence and authority (without attitude) back on the field. Too many times umps get in trouble for not being loud enough and project some presence when they make a call.
Old 07-15-19, 07:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Putting a really talented kid on a travel team that's filled with a bunch of kids whose dads are the coaches isn't a good fit either. He'll play RF, while the coach's kids pitch, play SS and bat in the top 5 spots in the order.
90% if not more of ALL youth baseball is coached by parents, usually dads. Those people are the backbone that keeps the entire sport going. Are you suggesting people need to find a team without a dad coaching? Good luck with that. Are you suggesting dads shouldn't coach? Good luck sustaining the sport with that model. You think it costs a lot now....

That is not me saying that parents as coaches doesn't present challenges. It does. But there are more good parent coaches out there than bad, otherwise the youth sports model would have never been able to work in any sport for all these years. But as you already stated, it's up to the parents to do their homework prior and pay attention to what is actually going on with teams they are currently a part of.