Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Old 07-04-19, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Where you getting fleeced this weekend? (tourny action)

WHere is everyone headed to get fleeced this weekend for their youth tournaments?

At least this time the team paid the $350 penalty for not staying in the overpriced "recommended" lodging for the Cedar Point tournament.

Found out it will cost us nearly $60 for the three of us to even get into the games at the sports complex even though the team paid over $1k to get into this tournament.

Fleecing of America through our youth to play our national pastime.

Isnt America great?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-19, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Another reason I don't miss hiking across the Ohio landscape following my son play "elite" summer baseball tournaments.
Old 07-04-19, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Another reason I don't miss hiking across the Ohio landscape following my son play "elite" summer baseball tournaments.
Learned my lesson earlier this summer. The hotel the tournament recommended to get a special rate with their code and fulfills the team obligation was $90 a night more than what I paid when I booked a week out and directly at the hotel and these tournaments want to charge even 6-7 yr old kids $15 admission and adults $20.

They also dont release the schedule until days before so everyone believes they have to prepare for an 8 or 9am game and go the night before. With waiting I am saving nearly $300-$400 as most of our games are later and dont need to stay
Old 07-04-19, 03:05 PM
All Ohio

I honestly don't think we ever stayed in one of the recommended hotels the night prior to the typical Thursday tournament start. In fact, we rarely stayed in a recommended hotel during most tournaments I can recall. I mean, what are they going to do, charge a family an upgrade fee for not staying where the organization made the reservations?
Old 07-04-19, 11:23 PM
All Ohio

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Baseball isnít the only sport. JO volleyball also has the pay-to-play tournament where you ďhaveĒ to stay at the required hotel.

Regardless of the sport, a total crock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-19, 08:59 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
WHere is everyone headed to get fleeced this weekend for their youth tournaments?

At least this time the team paid the $350 penalty for not staying in the overpriced "recommended" lodging for the Cedar Point tournament.

Found out it will cost us nearly $60 for the three of us to even get into the games at the sports complex even though the team paid over $1k to get into this tournament.

Fleecing of America through our youth to play our national pastime.

Isnt America great?
My son played travel baseball all over the country for 8+ years....and my daughter played JO volleyball. Funny thing is I'm fairly certain we NEVER had someone come up to us and hold a gun to our heads and force my kids to play on those team....or force us to allow it. They liked the sport....we enjoyed the time with them and their teammates and parents so we did it. I thought it was ridiculous for my friends to pay $1000+ /summer to hit a little white ball around. I had friends who had $40,000+ convertibles they could only drive 5 months out of the year....or $150,000 lake houses that were usuable from May thru September. What's the difference? We enjoyed what we were doing....my friends enjoyed what they were doing. The thing is, you know UP FRONT how much it's going to cost.....so once you sign up, I don't understand why everyone continues to complain about the $$$
Old 07-05-19, 03:47 PM
All Ohio

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I try to stay with family and friends. I was in the service so I have people everywhere but I need to find a friend in Ga.
Old 07-06-19, 02:59 AM
All Ohio

sig4969 is on a distinguished road
Thanks soccer for this, soccer found out what parents would paid for their kids and this moved over to other sports. I was luck to find a team only playing out of town once a year.....
Old 07-06-19, 11:19 AM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
My son played travel baseball all over the country for 8+ years....and my daughter played JO volleyball. Funny thing is I'm fairly certain we NEVER had someone come up to us and hold a gun to our heads and force my kids to play on those team....or force us to allow it. They liked the sport....we enjoyed the time with them and their teammates and parents so we did it. I thought it was ridiculous for my friends to pay $1000+ /summer to hit a little white ball around. I had friends who had $40,000+ convertibles they could only drive 5 months out of the year....or $150,000 lake houses that were usuable from May thru September. What's the difference? We enjoyed what we were doing....my friends enjoyed what they were doing. The thing is, you know UP FRONT how much it's going to cost.....so once you sign up, I don't understand why everyone continues to complain about the $$$
They tell you when you sign your kid up for these teams what the hotels and game admissions will cost?
Old 07-06-19, 05:01 PM
All Ohio

Think the experienced families have already been thru the drill. It starts out where most new families feel that the hotels are chosen with their best interests, ie: price, quality, closeness to the sports venues, restaurants, etc. When in reality, the organization usually receives discounted or free rooms for some, % back in hotel costs, etc. The more teams certain organizations have in certain hotels, the larger the payback. Now, if fairness, not every organization runs their program that way, but way too many do. That's why teams may literally find themselves booked into dumps in rough neighborhoods, when much better deals at better hotels are available. After awhile, parents wise up and make their own hotel reservations. It's just one of the games certain organizations play to increase revenue.
Old 07-08-19, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

fortfan is on a distinguished road
ACME tournament in Coldwater.

$3 per game.

I could even bring a lawn chair and sit behind the fence in right field for free.....
Old 07-08-19, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Think the experienced families have already been thru the drill. It starts out where most new families feel that the hotels are chosen with their best interests, ie: price, quality, closeness to the sports venues, restaurants, etc. When in reality, the organization usually receives discounted or free rooms for some, % back in hotel costs, etc. The more teams certain organizations have in certain hotels, the larger the payback. Now, if fairness, not every organization runs their program that way, but way too many do. That's why teams may literally find themselves booked into dumps in rough neighborhoods, when much better deals at better hotels are available. After awhile, parents wise up and make their own hotel reservations. It's just one of the games certain organizations play to increase revenue.
Interesting.
Do you think the teams get some kickback on those rooms as well? I know the one tournament the room was 90 more per night than when I booked by myself.

This weekend though the team paid the $350 "penalty" for not booking through the recommended program.

With that said, the Sports Force park in Sandusky was pretty nice. It had a lot of things for the kids (brothers and sisters and I guess the players too) to do while they were there to pass the time and they did a much better job than Grand Park in Indy to make it a place you would want to stay between games. Grand Park was so wide open and spacious but didn't have any trees planted or anything really for people to get out of the sun but I digress.

I wouldn't recommend Grand Park at all in Indy but a thumbs up to Sports complex in Sandusky.

One thing I thought was odd was that they sold alcohol at the tournament....
Old 07-08-19, 10:07 AM
All Ohio

First of all, anybody trying to book any room themselves w/out utilizing one of the countless apps available to search the best hotel rates, deserves to pay $90.00 more per night, especially in a city like Sandusky, where there are countless hotels within a few miles of one another and the ball park. If a team got docked $350 per team, at say 20 kids average per roster, plus 2-3 coaches, that comes to about $15.00 per person. Considering the savings one would get on a hotel room, that's a pretty insignificant penalty to pay. I just assume the organization would pick up the "fine", because I know of zero families who bypassed the recommended team hotels, who have ever paid a dime extra for doing so. People just become sheep like, following the the flock to same hotel, paying the same rate. Who benefits? The hotel, and the those within the organization who get the free rooms. Not every tournament has the extras the Sandusky Sports Force Park has. These type of venues are few and far between for most travel tournaments. Most are played on various local high school fields, some quality college venues, and even some high school jv fields. Teams literally can jump around multiple times per day, city to city miles apart, ending up not anywhere close to the hotel they booked. These tournaments are the norm, not the exception, so why be restricted to one or two centrally located hotels? Lastly, how many teams, who are fortunate to progress to the final Sunday competition of said tournament, check out of their recommended hotel, and find a cheaper venue for Saturday night? That's a pretty common practice also. Bottom line, if you want to stay in the recommended hotels, go for it. Personally, any bit of $ I could save every summer from an endless schedule of travel baseball tournaments was appreciated.
Old 07-08-19, 05:38 PM
All Ohio

Teams don't get a kickback. The orgs that put on the tourneys do.
Old 07-08-19, 09:50 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Yep. Thatís how it was for the events we went to.
Old 07-09-19, 08:14 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
The complex is nice, no doubt, but the tournaments are so overpriced, daily entry fees and hotels mandates are ridiculous and changes to their Cedar Point "free" tickets are crap. SO many other tournaments in the Great State of Ohio to enter!
Old 07-09-19, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That's^ how it works - or where it starts, anyway. But the teams can sometimes influence hotel selection, and they will further shorten the hotel list to keep most families of each team in one main hotel. It's easy to do because the kids prefer that when they are little, especially. Hotel tag, wiffle ball home run derby, swimming pool shenanigans.....

Some hotels choose to comp the coaches' rooms if they get a certain number of bookings. If a club program head is controling room selection, and he can get coach rooms free for 6 teams he has in tournaments one weekend, that can be a thousand dollars he keeps in his pocket.
Old 07-09-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
The complex is nice, no doubt, but the tournaments are so overpriced, daily entry fees and hotels mandates are ridiculous and changes to their Cedar Point "free" tickets are crap. SO many other tournaments in the Great State of Ohio to enter!
Yeah, it was nearly $1100 per team so that is steep, but a better value than at Grand Park in Indianapolis. Better than the Ripken tournament last year that was nearly $600 PER PLAYER!

They had a tourney there this summer that if you didn't make the tournament after pool play they had a one game consolation game on that Sunday to force teams to stay yet another day and to make matters worse many of those one game consolation matchups were at like 2pm and later!

I realize they know they have the fans, well families because there really aren't any fans, by the balls but to charge that much for tournaments and then another 17-20 to get into the tournament per person is adding insult to injury. I felt bad for some families who had 3-4 kids they brought and had to pay for them to get in.

Learning a lot about the do's and dont's with this stuff.
Old 07-09-19, 09:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Yeah, it was nearly $1100 per team so that is steep, but a better value than at Grand Park in Indianapolis. Better than the Ripken tournament last year that was nearly $600 PER PLAYER!

They had a tourney there this summer that if you didn't make the tournament after pool play they had a one game consolation game on that Sunday to force teams to stay yet another day and to make matters worse many of those one game consolation matchups were at like 2pm and later!

I realize they know they have the fans, well families because there really aren't any fans, by the balls but to charge that much for tournaments and then another 17-20 to get into the tournament per person is adding insult to injury. I felt bad for some families who had 3-4 kids they brought and had to pay for them to get in.

Learning a lot about the do's and dont's with this stuff.
Berliner Park in Columbus now has 32 turf fields and tournaments are $200-$500 with a daily parking fee of $5 per car. We have played teams from OH, WV, PA, MI, KY, IN over the years. Plenty of activities and hotels in Columbus...no brainer!
Old 07-09-19, 05:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
That's^ how it works - or where it starts, anyway. But the teams can sometimes influence hotel selection, and they will further shorten the hotel list to keep most families of each team in one main hotel. It's easy to do because the kids prefer that when they are little, especially. Hotel tag, wiffle ball home run derby, swimming pool shenanigans.....

Some hotels choose to comp the coaches' rooms if they get a certain number of bookings. If a club program head is controling room selection, and he can get coach rooms free for 6 teams he has in tournaments one weekend, that can be a thousand dollars he keeps in his pocket.
Have not had that experience no have I heard anyone else but I don't doubt you. Now I have helped paid for our paid coach to fly to GA. Did not like that at all.
Old 07-09-19, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Berliner Park in Columbus now has 32 turf fields and tournaments are $200-$500 with a daily parking fee of $5 per car. We have played teams from OH, WV, PA, MI, KY, IN over the years. Plenty of activities and hotels in Columbus...no brainer!
We play there very often and I know the place well. Not too bad, just would like to see some batting cages and yes, lots to do around the city. Some teams from the Cleveland area went downtown a few weeks ago during the pride weekend and were, uh, well no comment!

However, they typically have the worst selection of umpires, likely because of the tremendous amount of games that are going on!
Old 07-10-19, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

Umpires typically prefer to do softball now. Same money, shorter games. Baseball tends to get the balance of umps in many of these tournaments due to competeting softball tournaments, both girls & mens .
Old 07-10-19, 02:03 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
A Baseball Tournament company in Cincinnati offers “Free” Tournaments! Plus assigned hotels where teams must stay and a Gate Fee at all the parks. They been doing this for a few yrs and this yr the complaints are really starting to pile up. Anybody on here have kids that play in these Tournaments? If so, how was your families experience?
Old 07-10-19, 05:42 PM
All Ohio

There is a baseball club in Cincy that has the USSSA franchise in Cincy that hosts tournaments all summer long for all ages. The high school age tournaments are very expensive, the hotel situation is fairly rigorously enforced and fees are very pricey (like 30.00 a weekend). The tournaments are very well managed and very competitive. The games are played on good college fields and some great high school fields. Communication is good and except on Sunday, one does not play more than two games a day. I thought that this club did this so that the players on the oldest two teams did not have to pay fees. But I was told that this was not the case anymore. I guess you could say that you pay a lot but you do get a lot of value for you money.
Old 07-10-19, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
So, itís Jayís job now ?
Old 07-10-19, 08:48 PM
All American

Quote:
There is a baseball club in Cincy that has the USSSA franchise in Cincy that hosts tournaments all summer long for all ages. The high school age tournaments are very expensive, the hotel situation is fairly rigorously enforced and fees are very pricey (like 30.00 a weekend). The tournaments are very well managed and very competitive. The games are played on good college fields and some great high school fields. Communication is good and except on Sunday, one does not play more than two games a day. I thought that this club did this so that the players on the oldest two teams did not have to pay fees. But I was told that this was not the case anymore. I guess you could say that you pay a lot but you do get a lot of value for you money.
Correct but another Cincinnati Company is offering Free Tournaments and the Games are played at old dirt field softball parks. Sometimes apparently they advertise as a USSSA Event also. I never heard of any Free USSSA Tournaments for Any sport. I have heard a lot of complaints about this other company but donít know anything about them really so was just curious if others had played in them or experienced them. Donít want to defend the original you are talking about but 30$ Weekend Pass is usually for 4 or 5 days in those and they are played at pretty nice facilities.
Old 07-10-19, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Correct but another Cincinnati Company is offering Free Tournaments and the Games are played at old dirt field softball parks. Sometimes apparently they advertise as a USSSA Event also. I never heard of any Free USSSA Tournaments for Any sport. I have heard a lot of complaints about this other company but don’t know anything about them really so was just curious if others had played in them or experienced them. Don’t want to defend the original you are talking about but 30$ Weekend Pass is usually for 4 or 5 days in those and they are played at pretty nice facilities.
Very true about the tourneys lasting 4 or 5 days. It is just that the tourneys themselves are very expensive. Don't know about any FREE tourneys. I will keep my ears open. There is another company that has tournaments in the area that play in old softball parks. (like Rumpke and Kolping) and they just charge a nominal fee to get in the park. Usually for younger kid tourneys. But the tourneys are not normally free. However, if they are short teams they will call local coaches at the last minute to see if a team is available. They use artificial small mounds in these tourneys. We stopped going at 14u because the boys could hit them out pretty easily.
Old 07-10-19, 11:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
So, itís Jayís job now ?
I think so. Some dad's on the high school team claim that there are six figure salaries involved. They use to be part of that club. They are not anymore. By the way, that club model is not unusual down south. Youth baseball clubs are big business down south.
Old 07-11-19, 07:35 AM
All District

Quote:
I think so. Some dad's on the high school team claim that there are six figure salaries involved. They use to be part of that club. They are not anymore. By the way, that club model is not unusual down south. Youth baseball clubs are big business down south.
Don't ever get into any of the Cincy Flames tourneys..Jay and the previous USSSA State Director Ken Hill almost ruined USSSA the last two years. Thankfully they kicked him out!
Old 07-11-19, 12:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Don't ever get into any of the Cincy Flames tourneys..Jay and the previous USSSA State Director Ken Hill almost ruined USSSA the last two years. Thankfully they kicked him out!
Who is the Ohio USSSA Baseball State Director now?