Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-15, 06:21 AM
All Region

FlipFlop44 is on a distinguished road
Salem D-III

Here are the teams:

Canton Central Catholic
Columbiana
Crestview
East Palestine
Jackson-Milton
Lisbon
Manchester
Memorial (Campbell)
South Range
Southern
Springfield (New Middletown)
United
Waterloo

I'm guessing the top 2 seeds will be Springfield then Canton Central.
Those 2 seem to be head and shoulders above the rest and should meet for the District Championship.

Thoughts.....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 11:28 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop44 View Post
Here are the teams:
I'm guessing the top 2 seeds will be Springfield then Canton Central.
Those 2 seem to be head and shoulders above the rest and should meet for the District Championship.

Thoughts.....
I have thought we were well primed to make a run at the district title several times since dropping to Division III but last year was the first title that went our way. However, Central's below average tournament history aside, I think that you are right. I would be disappointed to not at least compete for the district title this year and at that point, anything can happen.

Aside from Springfield and Central, I would think Lisbon could make some noise and Campbell is always a threat regardless of their record.

When is the draw?
Old 02-03-15, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Great stuff, Slip!
Old 02-05-15, 02:58 PM
All American

krs1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Updated thoughts after Tuesday:

1. Springfield, 16-0, 11-0, W16. Won at South Range on Tuesday.
2. Canton Central Catholic, 10-4, 0-0, L1. Lost at Alliance on Tuesday
3. Lisbon, 12-5, 9-2, W3. Won at Jackson-Milton on Tuesday.
4. South Range, 10-6, 8-3, L1. Lost to Springfield on Tuesday.
5. Waterloo, 10-4, 6-2, W3. Tuesday's result unknown.
6. Columbiana, 10-7, 6-5, W1. Won at Crestview on Tuesday.
7. Rootstown 8-8, 4-3, L1. Lost at Akron Springfield on Tuesday.
8. Campbell Memorial, 6-10, 3-7, W3. Beat Champion on Tuesday.
9. Crestview 5-11, 4-7, L1. Lost to Columbiana on Tuesday.
10. East Palestine, 4-13, 3-8, W1. Won at United on Tuesday.
11. United, 3-13, 3-8, L2. Lost to East Palestine on Tuesday.
12. Manchester, 1-16, 0-12, L16. Lost to Triway on Tuesday.
13. Jackson-Milton, 2-15, 0-11, L9. Lost to Lisbon on Tuesday.
Waterloo's game on Tuesday at Conotton Valley was ppd
Old 02-05-15, 11:29 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs1 View Post
Waterloo's game on Tuesday at Conotton Valley was ppd
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 02-06-15, 12:10 PM
Junior Varsity

ClayAllDay is on a distinguished road
Springfield deserves the 1 seed, and will get it. CCC is probably as good or better than Springfield just on the basis of strength of schedule. Outside of those two, Campbell is the strongest team. Regardless of record, Campbell will bring it in Salem. ITCL schools get disillusioned sometimes inside their little bubble of bad basketball. I cant see any ITCL team outside of Springfield competing with either CCC or Campbell. I think Lisbon is the fourth best squad in that tournament, but they could get pushed by a number of teams including Columbiana, Range, Waterloo, or EP. I don't think Waterloo is as good as their record, having played tight with Crestview and losing by 20 to Rootstown and Reserve.
Old 02-06-15, 01:00 PM
Freshman

FloorGeneral91 is on a distinguished road
I agree that Springfield probably deserves the #1 Seed assuming they run the table, which appears likely as they have already played Lisbon and South Range in League play a second time (I believe). Canton Central Catholic in my eyes has to be the front runner to win the tournament if they are healthy considering they won it last year and return the majority of their players. I haven't seen Campbell play the last two years so I can't comment on them, but I will say they normally compete in the Salem District no matter what their record ends up.

I think Lisbon certainly could be upset (as they won some close ones last year in the tournament), but I could also see them making another run. They have the pieces to make a run back to the District Final depending on the seeding. Springfield has handled them in both matchups this year, but it can be difficult to beat a team three times in the same year. So I think Lisbon would give them a good game in the tournament.

Ultimately, the most likely scenario is Springfield and CCC. Mincher (spelling?) from Springfield has really impressed me this year. He is one of the best true guards I have seen in the ITCL in the last ten years, very impressed with his play this year.
Old 02-06-15, 01:11 PM
Junior Varsity

ClayAllDay is on a distinguished road
Couldn't agree more about Mincher.
Old 02-06-15, 02:56 PM
All American

hoophi55
Springfield still has Girard & McDonald to play that should be very competitive. Mincher is a jr, right. He is a player!
Old 02-12-15, 11:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcitysoldier View Post
Memorial is not the 7th best team in this district.
I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The "true seeds" become known when the teams select their spot on the bracket.
Old 02-12-15, 11:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral91 View Post
Ultimately, the most likely scenario is Springfield and CCC. Mincher (spelling?) from Springfield has really impressed me this year. He is one of the best true guards I have seen in the ITCL in the last ten years, very impressed with his play this year.
Despite what some people think both on this thread and from other area schools, I think the district level of this tournament is going to be very competitive and feature some very good teams. If Campbell has righted the ship and Springfield and Central stay healthy, I think you have three quality basketball teams right there. Pick your fourth and it should be a pretty good doubleheader at Salem.

As for who is the favorite, I followed the district long enough to know that when Springfield Local is good, they are good. I will not dismiss an unblemished record.

Lisbon is a year older and were a quality team last year. I will assume that they are certainly a step below Campbell and Central Catholic but capable of upsetting either. While I would be surprised if they won the district as that would require back-to-back upsets, that is not out of the question.

Campbell is a good team and they gave Central a helluva game in last year's semis (which was aided by the fact that Central went scoreless for nearly 7 minutes).

Central is also good but, like most D-III teams, when the 3s are not falling, they are very susceptible to an upset (see Alliance).

In the end if someone other than one of these 4 teams win the district, I will be completely surprised. I would also be very surprised in Lisbon took the crown. That said, I think a strong case and a very tight (for all you gamblers) money line would be offered on the chances of any of those three to win the district. It will likely come down to who is healthy and who avoids the in-game let downs that can plague any team.
Old 02-12-15, 05:49 PM
All District

bulldogcountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Memorial made its bed at the beginning of the year so whatever happens happens, but I would be disappointed to see a South Range or Columbiana seeded above Campbell considering schedule.
It's Campbell's own fault if they get seeded behind teams with winning records. Don't start off 3-10 or whatever and expect to get a higher seeding handed to you just because you play better teams. If they are that good then it won't matter where they are seeded, especially if they play ITCL schools who are not great this year except Lisbon who is ok and Springfield who is good. Stop crying about it and deal with it.
Old 02-12-15, 07:22 PM
All American

hoophi55
If Springfield goes undefeated & wins the Salem District, their opponent very likely will be Ursuline from the Warren District. Just having fun looking ahead hopefully. Anyway you cut it, I'm sure that Ursuline will be playing for a trip to Columbus vs Cleve VASJ in the regional final. Tourney time is great!!
Old 02-12-15, 07:51 PM
All District

bulldogcountry is on a distinguished road
The whole point of putting something in quotation marks is to repeat what that person actually says. So if you are going to quote me then quote what I actually say.

Once again since you didn't comprehend it the first time: WIN MORE GAMES AND THE SEEDING WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF. It may suck for Campbell fans to accept that they are in a district that is saturated with ITCL schools that run up their records by playing each other, and then have a better chance to get the higher seeds, but it is what it is. You can either deal with it or continue to look like a crybaby about it.
Old 02-13-15, 07:07 AM
Junior Varsity

BlueDevil1970 is on a distinguished road
It's getting very close to shutting your mouth and go out on the floor and prove it time. Where you are seeded is what it is. Go out and prove that your team is better. Stop whining and let's get it on! I am excited to see different schools, leagues and individual players and what they can do. Salem may not be a great district, but it's close and a lot of the teams I follow will be there. Good Luck to them all.
Old 02-14-15, 12:26 AM
All Yappi

Here's where we sit with just 1 day remaining before Sunday's draw:

Springfield, 19-0, 14-0, W19. Won at Crestview 80-52. Out of league wins: @ LaBrae, (Berlin Center) Western Reserve, West Branch, @ Mineral Ridge, Brookfield. Out of league losses: None.

Canton Central Catholic, 12-4, 0-0, W2. At Zanesville on Saturday didn't happen due to inclement weather. Out of league wins: Steubenville (@ Malone U.), Rocky River (@ Walsh U.), @ Canton South, @ Louisville, @ Bishop Hartley, West Holmes, @ Massillon, @ Chippewa, @ New Philadelphia, Cardinal Mooney, Gilmour Academy, Waynedale. Out of league losses: St. Thomas (@ Walsh U.), @ Ursuline, (Uniontown) Lake, @ Alliance

Lisbon, 15-5, 12-2, W6. Beat East Palestine 93-56. 0-2 against Springfield, 12-0 against the other 6 ITCL Uppers. Out of league wins: Leetonia, @ Youngstown Christian, @ Beaver Local. Out of league losses: Rootstown, @ West Branch, Neshannock (PA) (@ Covelli Centre).

South Range, 12-7, 10-4, W1. 10-0 against the bottom 5 of the Upper, 0-4 against the top 2 of the Upper. Won at United 78-50. Out of league wins: @ Newton Falls, Hubbard. Out of league losses: Salem, @ (Berlin Center) Western Reserve, McDonald.

Waterloo, 11-6, 7-3, L2. Lost at Woodridge 55-51. Out of league wins: Cardinal, Conotton Valley, Crestwood, @ Crestview, Out of league losses, (Berlin Center) Western Reserve (@ Crestview), (Akron) Springfield, Lake Center Christian.

Columbiana, 12-8, 8-6, W2. Won at Jackson-Milton 97-49, vs. Youngstown Christian on Saturday - I'm guessing it was postponed. 8-0 against the bottom 4 of the ITCL Upper, 0-6 against the top 3 of the ITCL Upper. Out of league wins: Sebring, Heartland Christian, @ Younsgtown Christian, @ Heartland Christian. Out of league losses: @ Leetonia, Leetonia.

Campbell Memorial, 9-10, 5-7, W6. Beat Heartland Christian 62-51. Out of league wins: @ (Ashtabula) Edgewood, Heartland Christian, @ Niles McKinley, @ Heartland Christian. Out of league losses: Struthers, @ Jefferson Area, @ Poland Seminary.

Southern Local, 10-10, 7-7, W1. Beat Mineral Ridge 52-27. Out of league wins: Crestview, @ (Richmond) Edison, Heartland Christian. Out of league losses: Carrollton, Oak Glen (WV), Beaver Local.

Crestview 6-13, 5-9, L1. Lost to Springfield 80-52. Out of league wins: Heartland Christian. Out of league losses: @ Southern, Beaver Local, Waterloo, @ McDonald

East Palestine, 5-15, 4-10, L2. Lost at Lisbon 93-56. Out of league wins: Heartland Christian. Out of league losses: Youngstown Christian, Salem, @ Leetonia, @ Carrollton, @ Ursuline

United, 3-16, 3-11, L5. Lost to South Range 78-50. Out of league wins: None. Out of league losses: @ West Branch, Leetonia, @ Sebring, Heartland Christian, @ Beaver Local

Manchester, 1-18, 0-14, L18. Lost at Timken 101-71. Out of league wins: Brookside (@ Vermilion). Out of league losses: @ Vermilion, @ Marlington, @ Waynedale, Lake Center Christian.

Jackson-Milton, 2-18, 0-14, L12. Lost to Columbiana 97-49. Out of league wins: Heritage Christian. Out of league losses: @ Lordstown, @ Sebring, @ Mathews. The Blue Jays also went 1-1 at a holiday tournament in Pennsylvania, but I don't know who they played.

Here's a nice district capsule from the folks who get paid to follow this stuff:

http://wytv.com/2015/02/12/selection...view-d3-salem/

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-15-15 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 03:59 PM
All American

krs1 is on a distinguished road
Seeds per NE District Website
1 Springfield
2 Canton CC
3 Lisbon
4 South Range
5 Waterloo
6 Campbell Memorial
7 Columbiana
8 Southern
9 Crestview
10 East Palestine
11 United
12 Jackson-Milton
13 Manchester

Bracket Placement Tomorrow
Old 02-14-15, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs1 View Post
Seeds per NE District Website
1 Springfield
2 Canton CC
3 Lisbon
4 South Range
5 Waterloo
6 Campbell Memorial
7 Columbiana
8 Southern
9 Crestview
10 East Palestine
11 United
12 Jackson-Milton
13 Manchester

Bracket Placement Tomorrow
Alrighty then!

Let's throw them on the bracket and get together in a couple weeks to play some games.
Old 02-15-15, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
So how does the bracket placement work? Can you pass your turn?
Top 2 seeds must go to opposite halves of the bracket.

Only the top 2 seeds may pass. All others must go on the bracket when it is their turn.

When its turn comes up, a team has 3 minutes to place itself on the bracket. If a top 2 seed is not on the bracket yet, that top 2 seed has the opportunity to place itself before the lower seeded teams or pass.

In the case of a school not being represented, a top 2 seeded team would be placed on the last available line in its half of the bracket, a 3 seed or lower would be placed on the last available line, and if 2 or more schools are not represented, they get placed on the available lines in alphabetical order.

With 13 teams in the Salem draw, there should be 3 first round byes available.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-15-15 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-15-15, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Campbell on Springfield's side. Will head to Waterloo and if they win to Lisbon.
Interesting choice by Lisbon...That is a tough sectional for them.
Old 02-15-15, 03:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Lisbon chose to go to Springfield's side like they did last year. They'll get Manchester first. Campbell being ranked 6th by the ITCL didn't leave them a ton of choices where to go lol.
The full bracket is up now:

http://brackets.myohsaa.org/bracket....s=12771&not=13

Campbell could've gone into South Range's sectional and had a 1st round home game before heading to South Range for the sectional final.

Canton CC got a great draw, IMHO.
Old 02-15-15, 04:10 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Interesting choice by Lisbon...That is a tough sectional for them.

Might be a tougher sectional, but the odds of making it to the District final increase.. Springfield is a great team, but Lisbon would much rather see a Springfield team that they know they can compete with instead of jumping on a CCC team that is a much tougher matchup for them.

CCC definitely got a great draw this year. They will only have to go through either Lisbon or Springfield for a District crown, assuming the stars align as expected..
Old 02-15-15, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Might be a tougher sectional, but the odds of making it to the District final increase.. Springfield is a great team, but Lisbon would much rather see a Springfield team that they know they can compete with instead of jumping on a CCC team that is a much tougher matchup for them.

CCC definitely got a great draw this year. They will only have to go through either Lisbon or Springfield for a District crown, assuming the stars align as expected..
That was a poor choice of words on my part. As a 3 seed, they picked the side of the top seed that they felt better about having to play. No surprise there although they must really feel Canton CC is out of their league since Springfield beat them twice in the regular season.

I meant to imply that what happened after Lisbon made its selection probably didn't go how they envisioned. I doubt they expected both Waterloo and Campbell to pick their sectional.
Old 02-15-15, 04:36 PM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Lisbon is one game and out...............
Old 02-15-15, 04:41 PM
Freshman

Quote:
That was a poor choice of words on my part. As a 3 seed, they picked the side of the top seed that they felt better about having to play. No surprise there although they must really feel Canton CC is out of their league since Springfield beat them twice in the regular season.

I meant to imply that what happened after Lisbon made its selection probably didn't go how they envisioned. I doubt they expected both Waterloo and Campbell to pick their sectional.
I kind of thought you might have meant to word it that way.. I definitely think Lisbon had an idea Campbell would jump into their bracket though, as Campbell most likely thinks they can beat any of the ITCL teams. They jumped on CCC last year I believe and that didn't go well, so seeing them jump down into the bottom bracket wasn't a major shock. Should be a very interesting tournament, can't wait!
Old 02-15-15, 04:44 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Lisbon is one game and out...............
Don't forget that second game is at Lisbon.. You can never guarantee wins at this level, but I would be extremely surprised to see them not win a Sectional on their home floor..
Old 02-15-15, 04:55 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Campbell was no. 1 seed last year. Lost by three to Ccc. We didn't jump to them last year. Lisbon jumped away from us.
Apologies soupcitysoldier, I wasn't sure what the seeding was last year but I knew the two had played and CCC had ended up winning.. As someone posted earlier, every team in the district wanted to stay away from CCC this year for obvious reasons..
Old 02-15-15, 05:19 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Don't forget that second game is at Lisbon.. You can never guarantee wins at this level, but I would be extremely surprised to see them not win a Sectional on their home floor..
Yes, let's not forget......It was at Lisbon..
My comment was Lisbon is one game and out at Salem.
You guys are good, but not that good.
Remember, many ITCL upper teams took the Devils to task, including the Dogs.
The ITCL upper is very weak compared to 4 years ago. 4 years ago with the same team, you'd been at the bottom...
Old 02-15-15, 05:30 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Will Manchester give Lisbon a game?
Yes and most likely win. JMO.
Old 02-15-15, 06:01 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
CCC over South Range