Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-19, 10:34 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I Just like to through out the obtuse comment when possible. Maybe it was seeing the Shawshank billboards a few times on the way to Akron, but I digress.

Here is the thing about traveling to AKron/Canton area....once you get North and East of Columbus it just gets to become what it seems like a never ending drive. It is a pain in the . Also, people do like to extend their stay and do things in the host city. Akron/Canton/Massillon? Most dont want to spend one more second than they have to in those places.

As for the teams, yeah, the state pays for them to stay so that is no big deal. PLayers/coaches will always be taken care of. We are talking about the attendance and as long as the finals in baseball are in NEO the attendance will be lacking unless they get lucky and an abundance of teams are from the immediate area.
Agreed about the never ending drive, just flipped around. When we came down for the semifinals, we ate at a local restaurant a block or two from the stadium. Other than that, we were in and out every other time down there.

From what I understand, attendance was up this year. Might have had to do with St Ignatius/Mentor but in my experience, the lower division teams seem to bring more hometown fans.

That is kind of the point I was making. While Columbus is in the central part of the state, there are times where it is not convenient for some or most of the teams participating. A two hour trip isn't fun, especially when you are going home the same night, which is what I do almost everytime I come to Columbus.
Old 06-13-19, 11:18 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Me too. 3 hours both ways is too much. Did not have any interest going this year because I did not know anyone from Springboro. But if East, West, Badin, Mason, Moeller or Elder had made it, I might have just run up to catch the game. Not possible for Akron for me. Looks like Huntington is out for the future. maybe they will have it in Dayton some time. The Dragons stadium is nice and in the city.
Old 06-14-19, 06:37 AM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
Great to debate

I agree with Yappi, the OHSAA should come up with a rotation. I do agree that Columbus is central to all but why not move it around and give schools a chance to possibly stay close to home. Akron was awesome. Yes there was construction but thatís temporary. Itís going to be great once its finished. Stadium was warm and inviting and had a great atmosphere. Personally Iíd love to see Prasco Park one year, that place does an amazing job and worth the drive even from up north. Akron, You could even add places like Sprenger Stadium in Avon, Lake County Captains stadium, Not sure what could be used in Toledo area, maybe BG or Mercy Filed, but Iím all for moving this around and having different venues. Huntington was great and Columbus is central and awesome city but its just not possible now, so lets move it around and see how it goes
Old 06-14-19, 07:00 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Tallmadge (Akron area).

For the fans that I saw at the state championship two years ago for Tallmadge, almost all of them would have made the trip to Cincinnati to see the game.

Really wish the games were at Canal Park the previous two years as a 15 minute drive would have increased the attendance by 300-600.

A simple drive of 15 minutes will get alot more casual fans. Anything over an hour is likely to get the hardcore fans only. Baseball just isn't that big of a spectator sport at the HS level. The record attendance for the state tournament is less than 1500 fans per game for all 12 games. Football and Basketball can get 18,000 for one game.
Tallmadge had a heckva team that year...but I really don't think the same amount of fans would have made the drive to Cincy....nothing to base it on, just the distance...
Old 06-14-19, 07:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Sounds like an uninformed teenager wanting to vent. When a facility is unavailable, that means it can't be played there. Simple as that.

When the OHSAA chooses Canal Park over Huntington Park, he may have a valid point but that is simply not the case. Unavailable should have been the end of the debate.
maybe the Baseball coaches should NOT have voted to to move the season BACK a week... Huntington was available for play the week before...the Clippers were in Durham......it would be interesting to know if the OHSSA/Snodgrass knew that before the coaches voted to move the season back a week.
Old 06-14-19, 07:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderlookingin View Post
I agree with Yappi, the OHSAA should come up with a rotation. I do agree that Columbus is central to all but why not move it around and give schools a chance to possibly stay close to home. Akron was awesome. Yes there was construction but thatís temporary. Itís going to be great once its finished. Stadium was warm and inviting and had a great atmosphere. Personally Iíd love to see Prasco Park one year, that place does an amazing job and worth the drive even from up north. Akron, You could even add places like Sprenger Stadium in Avon, Lake County Captains stadium, Not sure what could be used in Toledo area, maybe BG or Mercy Filed, but Iím all for moving this around and having different venues. Huntington was great and Columbus is central and awesome city but its just not possible now, so lets move it around and see how it goes
again maybe Huntington was NOT available because the Coaches voted to move the season back a week...and the OHSSA didn't check the schedule of the clippers...before they did the vote...
Old 06-14-19, 08:01 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
Tallmadge had a heckva team that year...but I really don't think the same amount of fans would have made the drive to Cincy....nothing to base it on, just the distance...
I concur.

Everyone would love to believe their fans would travel any distance for a State game, but if Tallmadge had played in Dayton or Cincy I highly doubt the same amount of fans would have shown up. Just not likely.

As for a rotating basis, I am not opposed to it I guess but you have to keep it out of the corners of the state so Toledo, Cincy, Cleveland would have to be out of the equation. That would further alienate many fans so that leaves Columbus, Dayton, Akron.

Now, they could strike it lucky in any given year with having a few local teams make it but as a whole that would likely hurt attendance.

Speaking of the construction up in the Akron area, who is their right mind thought it was a good idea to have those massive "bumps" on the highway where you need to be going like 30MPH max to travel over? My God that was dangerous as can be and also damaging to the vehicles. There was a massive wreck on the way home in the lanes coming into the area. That is very irresponsible.

With that said though, I would gladly complain about the drive each year if my local teams are in the finals. It is a good problem to have but geesh, Columbus just makes sense if they can at all possible do it.

BIgkat,
I think the vote passed to extend the season without really looking at the ramifications. They all clamored at an extra week, but if you aren't going to allow any more games I am not so sure it is a great idea. Yeah, early spring sucks in Ohia but teams who genuinely consider themselves legit baseball programs find ways to get their games in even before the extended week.
Old 06-14-19, 09:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I concur.

Everyone would love to believe their fans would travel any distance for a State game, but if Tallmadge had played in Dayton or Cincy I highly doubt the same amount of fans would have shown up. Just not likely.

As for a rotating basis, I am not opposed to it I guess but you have to keep it out of the corners of the state so Toledo, Cincy, Cleveland would have to be out of the equation. That would further alienate many fans so that leaves Columbus, Dayton, Akron.

Now, they could strike it lucky in any given year with having a few local teams make it but as a whole that would likely hurt attendance.

Speaking of the construction up in the Akron area, who is their right mind thought it was a good idea to have those massive "bumps" on the highway where you need to be going like 30MPH max to travel over? My God that was dangerous as can be and also damaging to the vehicles. There was a massive wreck on the way home in the lanes coming into the area. That is very irresponsible.

With that said though, I would gladly complain about the drive each year if my local teams are in the finals. It is a good problem to have but geesh, Columbus just makes sense if they can at all possible do it.

BIgkat,
I think the vote passed to extend the season without really looking at the ramifications. They all clamored at an extra week, but if you aren't going to allow any more games I am not so sure it is a great idea. Yeah, early spring sucks in Ohia but teams who genuinely consider themselves legit baseball programs find ways to get their games in even before the extended week.
there was a reason that the regional was switched to Coldwater from Springfield, they tried various locations..but it seemed that those locations were scheduled for SUMMER ball tournaments.... put the HS baseball season back to where it was...
Old 06-14-19, 09:53 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I know that it will never happen but I would love to see all Summer Tournaments cancelled for the state tournament weekend. Baseball is the one sport that competes directly with youth tournaments for its state championship. Thousands of potential fans that might come to the game are playing in their own tournaments that weekend.

Or maybe an alternative would be to host a Summer Tournament in conjunction with the HS state tournament. Schedule the teams to play nearby and include state tournament tickets for championship games for participating youth teams.
Old 06-14-19, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I know that it will never happen but I would love to see all Summer Tournaments cancelled for the state tournament weekend. Baseball is the one sport that competes directly with youth tournaments for its state championship. Thousands of potential fans that might come to the game are playing in their own tournaments that weekend.

Or maybe an alternative would be to host a Summer Tournament in conjunction with the HS state tournament. Schedule the teams to play nearby and include state tournament tickets for championship games for participating youth teams.
Never happen.

Those tournaments are money grabs to the umpteenth degree. The youth tournament I was at the state tourney weekend was nearly a $1,000 fee per team, and $20/person entrance fee for the tournament plus the kickbacks they get from the local hotels upcharging for the tournament.

I agree, locally they should have a youth tourney and give tickets to the teams, but even at that I am not sure many would even go.

Plus, not many not school fans show up for those state games. Ideally it would be great for the kids to go and see what the ultimate prize they will be playing for in HS but most parents don't care enough.
I know for our school they had a couple of youth teams playing in tournaments, and even hosting one, that weekend and those kids/families couldn't come

Great idea, but it wouldn't happen.
Old 06-14-19, 12:57 PM
All Region

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
No location has been announced for Girls Basketball 2020 State Championships....

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...-issues-again/

So why does anyone think any of the issues with baseball or football will be solved anytime soon...
Old 06-15-19, 08:27 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderlookingin View Post
BG isn't as nice as a lot of HS fields and seats maybe 300. Mercy seats more....but not nearly enough to host a state tournament
Old 06-16-19, 07:03 PM
Junior Varsity

dhsdog06 is on a distinguished road
A rotation is a great idea, and I don't really see why the IL not letting Columbus/Toledo block off weekends in advance is a big deal. Do we HAVE to know who's hosting that early? Toledo's 2019 schedule was announced in mid August of 2018. That's plenty of time to figure it out year to year, and I highly doubt every minor/indy league stadium in the state is going to be booked that weekend in any season.

So that opens up Toledo, Columbus, Akron, Niles, Eastlake, Avon, Dayton. Should be able to move it around and keep everyone as happy as possible. Personally, I don't care. There's not many schools in the state that will consistently travel to see their baseball team at state no matter where it's played (sadly), but Defiance is one of them. Play it on the moon for all we care. We'll show up if we make it.
Old 06-16-19, 10:17 PM
All Yappi

Rotate Coluimbus, Dayton and Akron. Heading to Chilicothe soon heard they have a nice place.

Heard from the 'horses mouth' today who played at Huntington and in Akron and said that Huntington was by far the better venue in every single way. AKron was good, but Huntington just blew it out of the water.

I recall going to a finals as a kid in 83 and how it shaped my baseball future. I think that schools need to find every way possible to get as many little league/pony league aged kids to these games to foster the future.
Old 06-17-19, 10:33 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsdog06 View Post
A rotation is a great idea, and I don't really see why the IL not letting Columbus/Toledo block off weekends in advance is a big deal. Do we HAVE to know who's hosting that early? Toledo's 2019 schedule was announced in mid August of 2018. That's plenty of time to figure it out year to year, and I highly doubt every minor/indy league stadium in the state is going to be booked that weekend in any season.

So that opens up Toledo, Columbus, Akron, Niles, Eastlake, Avon, Dayton. Should be able to move it around and keep everyone as happy as possible. Personally, I don't care. There's not many schools in the state that will consistently travel to see their baseball team at state no matter where it's played (sadly), but Defiance is one of them. Play it on the moon for all we care. We'll show up if we make it.
Niles and Eastlake? C'mon....Akron is already far enough from the teams in SE and Western Ohio. Those two cannot be in any rotation if that ends up happening. They are never going to wait until the IL schedules come out in September (they were the 9th this year) to schedule the State tourney. That's unrealistic with hotels, fields, umpires, etc. If the IL keeps this policy, Toledo and Huntington likely aren't options. With Ohio State likely out also due to potential NCAA games, that leaves Akron and Dayton. Going back and forth from those two wouldn't be awful if they could make it work.
Old 06-21-19, 06:57 AM
All Region

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
There are 6 affiliated Minor League Baseball teams/venues in Ohio. If I had to rank them in terms of best place for the OHSAA tournament, this is what I'd say:

1. Huntington Park (Columbus Clippers, AAA) - Mostly centralized location, relatively new ballpark, many things to do near/around the stadium. It's by far the best option, but it appears the International League is creating some big hurdles to bringing it back.

2. Fifth Third Field (Dayton Dragons, A) - It is between Dayton & Akron for the #2 spot in my opinion. I would lean towards Dayton, as it's an overall better stadium. Both are similar in terms of location, being right off of major highways, but both cities don't have a lot around the stadiums like Columbus. Dayton, however, has an impeccable history of drawing fans to Dragons games, so I would think more people would attend.

3. Canal Park (Akron RubberDucks, AA) - Similar to Dayton in terms of stadium/location, but I give Dayton the edge based on what I stated above.

4. Fifth Third Field (Toledo MudHens, AAA) - Just as good of a stadium as any of the others mentioned before it, but it's in Toledo, so not an ideal location. Also being in the International League presents the same problem as Columbus

5. Classic Park (Lake County Captains, A) - Better ballpark & slightly better location than #6 on the list, but far behind #4. It's near Cleveland, but outside of that, it's still in the corner of the state.

6. Eastwood Field (Mahoning Valley Scrappers, A/SS) - Not a bad ballpark, but a clear #6 on this list. Not as accessible by major highways, and also in a less populated area in the state. The only thing this park has on all the others is that it is home to a short season single-A team, so there would be no conflicts at all scheduling OHSAA games here, as their season doesn't start until mid June.

Other Non-Aflliated/College facilities that could also be considered:
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Sprenger Stadium (Lake Erie Crushers/Frontier League)
Old 06-23-19, 08:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Zepman44 is on a distinguished road
My biggest issue wasnít the venue, but the fact that it was Friday-Sunday. If it was Thursday-Saturday it wouldíve helped a lot with attendance and travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk