Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-16-18, 03:40 PM
Varsity

bkk631987 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Ted View Post
Wow, bbk1234678905478 even your screen name rambles. Your post are torture! I couldn't get through more than a couple lines but I sure smelled disgruntled parent who's baby didn't get something! Of course, blame the coach! I went to several GO games last year and I saw a bad team that played hard for 48 every game through a brutal schedule. I spent many years in the game as a player and coach so I think I know a little. I thought they were a well coached team.
Well Ted what you have the isn't my screen name so I'm sorry the standard form for DOB is difficult for you. If you are having trouble with succinct arguments that are more than a few lines it's probably best you don't comment advice you don't have all the information. Sometimes depth is provided to give clarity to one's argument. But in your half century of "coaching" tell us what you found to be "bad" about last year's team?
Of course parents must be wrong bc the only other option would be the coach is wrong and God forbid that could ever be the case 🤯 That's the default setting especially for the old timers blame the parents. Listen coaches are not beyond reproach and if a coaching staff teaches the players how to be good people on top of how to play the game of football then there's no problem. But year after year it's been proven that this is not the case at GlenOak. You guys aren't in some secret fraternity oh, you don't have to rush to one another's defense against the big bad person who points out when they're not doing their job. And just because someone gives you a whistle and you're the coach doesn't always mean that you know a little something. That being said here's a shocker I'm a coach! I coached both in a school system and outside of school system in multiple Sports and have for years. I've also been around GlenOak Athletics and have seen the things that have gone on so I'm glad that you went to a couple of games last year but I've gone to all the games for the last 10 years it's a little bit bigger of a sample size don't you think? Nevermind I know I won't get an answer to any of those questions because you stopped after the first couple lines😏
Old 08-16-18, 03:59 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
with Hudl - kids can make their own highlight film

with Hudl - college coaches can get film with a phone call, text, or email.

I don't believe it is the job of the coach to get kids recruited and have been told as much from college and pro coaches. A student's academic performance and on field performance will get them recruited. D1 college coaches will spend 5 minutes of film watch on a kid to decide if they put them on their board.

College coach after college coach that I have talked with say they would rather recruit the student and not deal with high school coaches pushing kids. The initial questionaire kids receive from colleges is the first step to getting recruited. fill it out and send it in to those schools and respond to the calls and emails when they are sent.

Having a good academic record will advance recruiting faster than anything other than being a total superb athlete, which those guys get noticed quickly on film. Stark County and moreso Glenoak haven't had that many Blue Chip 5 star recruits that just get slobbered over by D1 coaches. Truth.

So where and how do kids find the other colleges. Well there is nothing in the rules that states a student can't contact a college admission or advisory office at any time.

Too many in the Stark Area schools are looking for it to be handed to them - which when it doesn't happen, then its the coach's fault.

As far as what Garcia does or doesn't do, I am sure he is at the college recruit night held after the season at Central Catholic which invites over 200 D2 and D3 college recruiters with each high school represented passing out information on students to those college recruiters that are looking to find a gem.

I KNOW Garcia has attended these. Not defending the man's record or defending how he runs his program. That will speak for itself. I am saying he has represented Glen Oak at these nights. If a kid didn't get recruited my first question is this - what was his ACT score? Next question is What is his GPA? These are the first two questions asked by college recruiters. Like it, don't like it, but deal with it - cuz it is the truth.

Competition for free money to go to school has risen. D2-D3 gets to use certain types of money. It gets used quickly and they try to stretch it as far as they can.

The Garcia Glenoak team I watched last year wasn't the same I watch a couple years ago where they were much bigger and powerful up front, plus it didn't hurt that Dunn walked through the door after shopping several schools.
101 you have some valid points... let me retort.
Some local schools don't let their players have editing access to HUDL bc they want to control the narrative. GO isn't 1 so it's moot for this specific school but worth noting.
Anybody within a school system should consider it "part of their job" to help the youth under their guidance. But is it possible that your interpretation of the conversation with higher-level coach is not so much it's not the High School coaches job but in fact it's not solely their job? Meaning it's the athletes job to do right by their grades, to get a high score on the ACT, to stay out of trouble, to be involved in a multitude of extracurricular activities so that they are all well-rounded candidate if they choose to go on to college, Etc. Let me tell you what is a coaches job and specifically the AD'S job... when coaches send recruitment information such as letters to the school that are to be given to the athletes the expectation is they will actually make it to the athletes. This doesn't occur very often at GlenOak. And it's not because their athletes aren't getting recruited so explain that?
You are pretty much right on when you say that a D1 coach will spend little time on a highlight reel but in actuality there aren't a lot of blow you out of the water D1 athletes but there are mid-majors and other levels of College athletics that have to weed through to see where the athletes that they want are hiding. If it's not part of the High School coaches job to assist his players in getting recruited then explain to me why Massillon and McKinley and numerous other high schools put together bus trips and take their kids to the college camps every summer? Garcia finally got called out and embarrassed at how little he was doing so that is why this was the first year ever that he promoted and put together an opportunity like that for the players. Because there was a large group of parents the last couple years who took the recruiting process into their own hands because of tireless amounts of parents from previous years who would warn them that he didn't do anything to help in the recruitment process and by the time parents figure that out it was usually too late.
I can tell you that none of the seniors who are playing at the next level from last year's team expected anything to be handed to them which is why their families took it upon themselves to do the recruiting process. As I pointed out in an earlier post Garcia and his staff would yell at the kids and tell them only their senior film matters well I know from talking to numerous college coaches that that is a fallacy and again it creates a narrative where he can say what we didn't have many athletes going to the next level so we did the best we could with what little Talent we had. That's a cop-out and an excuse all day everyday year after year. I to know for a fact that Garcia has gone to the recruiting night at Canton Central Catholic but can you imagine how much Flack he would get if parents found out that he didn't go? There's a difference between being somewhere and being active and participating. Students can be in a classroom but it doesn't mean that they're learning. If I'm in the waiting room at a hospital does that mean that I was participating in helping deliver the babies? Just because someone is present doesn't mean they're present. Certainly you can't think that it's not a high school coaching staff's job to help keep their athletes on the right path academically? Well only ensuring that they have a GPA that will keep them on the field for high school and not really checking in with them and following up with them during the offseason to make sure that they are doing what needs to be done if they want to go to college isn't acceptable would you agree?

Finally there was plenty of size speed quickness and an abundance of football intelligence to do better than 3 and 7 last year schedule be damned. Maybe just maybe the coaching was not up to par is there anybody that can stand on their own and actually come to that conclusion or are all coaches 100% right 100% of the time and to never be questioned?
Old 08-16-18, 04:00 PM
All District

Ohio Proud 64 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
with Hudl - kids can make their own highlight film

with Hudl - college coaches can get film with a phone call, text, or email.

I don't believe it is the job of the coach to get kids recruited and have been told as much from college and pro coaches. A student's academic performance and on field performance will get them recruited. D1 college coaches will spend 5 minutes of film watch on a kid to decide if they put them on their board.

College coach after college coach that I have talked with say they would rather recruit the student and not deal with high school coaches pushing kids. The initial questionaire kids receive from colleges is the first step to getting recruited. fill it out and send it in to those schools and respond to the calls and emails when they are sent.

Having a good academic record will advance recruiting faster than anything other than being a total superb athlete, which those guys get noticed quickly on film. Stark County and moreso Glenoak haven't had that many Blue Chip 5 star recruits that just get slobbered over by D1 coaches. Truth.

So where and how do kids find the other colleges. Well there is nothing in the rules that states a student can't contact a college admission or advisory office at any time.

Too many in the Stark Area schools are looking for it to be handed to them - which when it doesn't happen, then its the coach's fault.

As far as what Garcia does or doesn't do, I am sure he is at the college recruit night held after the season at Central Catholic which invites over 200 D2 and D3 college recruiters with each high school represented passing out information on students to those college recruiters that are looking to find a gem.

I KNOW Garcia has attended these. Not defending the man's record or defending how he runs his program. That will speak for itself. I am saying he has represented Glen Oak at these nights. If a kid didn't get recruited my first question is this - what was his ACT score? Next question is What is his GPA? These are the first two questions asked by college recruiters. Like it, don't like it, but deal with it - cuz it is the truth.

Competition for free money to go to school has risen. D2-D3 gets to use certain types of money. It gets used quickly and they try to stretch it as far as they can.

The Garcia Glenoak team I watched last year wasn't the same I watch a couple years ago where they were much bigger and powerful up front, plus it didn't hurt that Dunn walked through the door after shopping several schools.
A Head Coach's input goes a long away and I respectfully disagree, it is a coach's responsibility to help kids get recruited. Good coaches realize this. Attending a recruiting event and actively participating in the recruiting process are entirely two different things. GlenOak's history in this area is abysmal at best. The changes are due to parental pressure.
Old 08-16-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Coach Garcia was on the WHBC Coaches show this afternoon talking about the upcoming season.

https://soundcloud.com/user-192569656/scott-garcia-3
Old 08-16-18, 08:48 PM
Building Tradition

Eagle_62 is on a distinguished road
Tonight's scrimmage was very encouraging. In the 10 play segment, we moved the ball on the ground and air. We also scored a defensive TD. The defense looked very good. In the game-like scrimmage, we won 14-8. I was happy to see a lot of juniors and sophomores starting, including Derek Fox's sophomore son. The quarterback looks quick and shifty. After the Harding scrimmage, the coaching staff realized that we didn't have the horses to play our normal defense so they put in a completely new one. The new defense looks like a 3-3 stack with a lot of stunting. The Eagles will be sporting new helmets this year. There will be an eagle on one side with a stripe down the middle and the players number on the other side. We have about 55 kids, (which is way down) but one of our coaches told me Perry doesn't even have enough kids for a JV team, so I guess that is a trending thing. I still think we will be up against it, but it will be very interesting watching a young team get better. GO EAGLES!!!!!
Old 08-17-18, 11:13 AM
Varsity

cinco is on a distinguished road
How bad was Ursuline? I would have thought the Eagles would have dominated more than the score you posted.
Old 08-17-18, 12:37 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
How bad was Ursuline? I would have thought the Eagles would have dominated more than the score you posted.
We were the better team but not by a mile. Ursuline always has at least a couple of stand outs and I didn't see any at the scrimmage. They may be in for a long year or maybe we're a little better than I think.
Old 08-17-18, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
How did GlenOak look in the Warren Harding scrimmage? A Warren fan said they looked great against GlenOak.

Thank You
Old 08-17-18, 12:43 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
How did GlenOak look in the Warren Harding scrimmage? A Warren fan said they looked great against GlenOak.

Thank You
The score was only 2-1 but one of the coaches told me they pushed our line around . We scrapped our defense after that scrimmage.
Old 08-17-18, 12:49 PM
All World

murphy13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_62 View Post
The score was only 2-1 but one of the coaches told me they pushed our line around . We scrapped our defense after that scrimmage.
Could you elaborate more on what you mean by scrapping the defense?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-18, 01:27 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy13 View Post
Could you elaborate more on what you mean by scrapping the defense?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The defense is 2 weeks old,it's like a 3-3 stack.
Old 08-17-18, 04:09 PM
Varsity

Quote:
The defense is 2 weeks old,it's like a 3-3 stack.
Trying to replace Reskstis, Oaks & Binius @LBs, White on D-line (sparingly) & Gliatta @DB who were all 3yr lettermen on top of Stokes, Curiale, and Conteucci would be a difficult task for any team. Hope to see a lot more creativity now that Kovacs is gone.
Old 08-17-18, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk631987 View Post
Trying to replace Reskstis, Oaks & Binius @LBs, White on D-line (sparingly) & Gliatta @DB who were all 3yr lettermen on top of Stokes, Curiale, and Conteucci would be a difficult task for any team. Hope to see a lot more creativity now that Kovacs is gone.
Did Kovacs retire or move on?
Old 08-17-18, 11:10 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Did Kovacs retire or move on?
I didn't ask.
Old 08-18-18, 08:20 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Ohio Proud 64, in saying that it is not the coaches job to get a kid recruited is not saying the coach shouldn't have to do anything or assist in the process.

I have no knowledge of what Glenoak does or does not do for their athletes.
Certainly making film and highlights available to recruiters, meeting recruiters at the school setting up the meeting with athletes, maintaining communication with the recruiters assigned to this area, providing insight when asked for about a student athlete behavior and work ethic are all part of it. Grades and academic performance are the main reasons a student gets recruited not because a high school coach says so.

I think we are on the same side of the argument - I am speaking overall while some of the posters are speaking specifically to things in Plain Twp.

Yes coaches should assist in the process, but the driving kids to college campuses is a dog and pony show and doesn't get kids recruited per se. Spring practices are open to all and any on most campuses that doesn't require a student to only go with their coach.

I for one would look to the smaller colleges if my son wasn't a blue chip recruit and I for one would want to meet the coach to see who will be guiding my son through college. I would look for the right fit and relationship - instead of the biggest stage, but thats just me.
Old 08-18-18, 08:39 AM
Varsity

Huge Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk631987 View Post
Well Ted what you have the isn't my screen name so I'm sorry the standard form for DOB is difficult for you. If you are having trouble with succinct arguments that are more than a few lines it's probably best you don't comment advice you don't have all the information. Sometimes depth is provided to give clarity to one's argument. But in your half century of "coaching" tell us what you found to be "bad" about last year's team?
Of course parents must be wrong bc the only other option would be the coach is wrong and God forbid that could ever be the case 🤯 That's the default setting especially for the old timers blame the parents. Listen coaches are not beyond reproach and if a coaching staff teaches the players how to be good people on top of how to play the game of football then there's no problem. But year after year it's been proven that this is not the case at GlenOak. You guys aren't in some secret fraternity oh, you don't have to rush to one another's defense against the big bad person who points out when they're not doing their job. And just because someone gives you a whistle and you're the coach doesn't always mean that you know a little something. That being said here's a shocker I'm a coach! I coached both in a school system and outside of school system in multiple Sports and have for years. I've also been around GlenOak Athletics and have seen the things that have gone on so I'm glad that you went to a couple of games last year but I've gone to all the games for the last 10 years it's a little bit bigger of a sample size don't you think? Nevermind I know I won't get an answer to any of those questions because you stopped after the first couple lines😏
By bad I meant that they didn't have the talent level of their opponents. They had tough kids who played hard and were well coached which kept them in games where they were clearly outmanned..
Old 08-18-18, 08:46 AM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Ted View Post
By bad I meant that they didn't have the talent level of their opponents. They had tough kids who played hard and were well coached which kept them in games where they were clearly outmanned..
Well said!!!
Old 08-20-18, 01:21 PM
Cooling Off

the green fog is an unknown quantity at this point
GlenOak gets Mck at a good time : prediction : GO 21 Mck 10
Old 08-20-18, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Why do people try to predict the scores of ball games,really stupid.
Old 08-20-18, 01:50 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by the green fog View Post
GlenOak gets Mck at a good time : prediction : GO 21 Mck 10
A couple weeks ago everyone acted like the Bulldogs were going to be unbeatable and now several folks are changing a bit. Has anything changed ?
Old 08-20-18, 01:55 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
A couple weeks ago everyone acted like the Bulldogs were going to be unbeatable and now several folks are changing a bit. Has anything changed ?
I have seen Mck and I have seen GO in scrimmages . As long as GO stays sound on defense.Stays home , and doesn't let QB run wild , they beat Mck easily . 28-10 . BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 08-20-18, 02:27 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
I have seen Mck and I have seen GO in scrimmages . As long as GO stays sound on defense.Stays home , and doesn't let QB run wild , they beat Mck easily . 28-10 . BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
That sounds encouraging Mr green frog
Old 08-20-18, 02:29 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Why do people try to predict the scores of ball games,really stupid.
You made the green frog mad Raymo we just scored another TD.
Old 08-20-18, 02:42 PM
Junior Varsity

JenksWins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The former big poster from the McKinley forum is now the king of predicting scores. How is ST.Thomas with all 17 football players.
The fog is not to dense. BAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-18, 12:07 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksWins View Post
The former big poster from the McKinley forum is now the king of predicting scores. How is ST.Thomas with all 17 football players.
The fog is not to dense. BAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Well,once again an uninformed Kinley High School city sewer dwellar with no clue . STA has about 40 players this yr and took some kids from Canton City to give them a chance to succeed . Stinks for McKinley but the winds of change are blowing in . Double A ,the head man in charge at McKinley has BIG BIG problemos . Can he solve them ??? No . Not until he proves otherwise . Ask the teachers . Its a war zone down there . Ask Mr .Grimsley . Ask the head of CCS Security .
Old 08-21-18, 12:08 PM
Cooling Off

GlenOak is due to top Whitmer . Its TIIIIIIIMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prediction : Eagles 24 Panthers 20
Old 08-21-18, 12:19 PM
Building Tradition

Quote:
GlenOak is due to top Whitmer . Its TIIIIIIIMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prediction : Eagles 24 Panthers 20
IT'S TIME what a catchy slogan
Old 08-21-18, 01:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Well,once again an uninformed Kinley High School city sewer dwellar with no clue . STA has about 40 players this yr and took some kids from Canton City to give them a chance to succeed . Stinks for McKinley but the winds of change are blowing in . Double A ,the head man in charge at McKinley has BIG BIG problemos . Can he solve them ??? No . Not until he proves otherwise . Ask the teachers . Its a war zone down there . Ask Mr .Grimsley . Ask the head of CCS Security .
I thought you were a Hoban fan. No you used to be one on the Mckinley bread wagon tailgaters. You need to back off I know to much about you.
Old 08-21-18, 01:47 PM
Junior Varsity

I think the Eagles will go 6-4. I hope they do better. Go Eagles!
Old 08-21-18, 02:07 PM
All Region

JJBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You made the green frog mad Raymo we just scored another TD.
That guy lives in a fog alright! Go Eagles! I can't stand Whitmer.