Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-06-18, 09:10 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Southwest Ohio Records, Champions, and Rankings

If you click on the below file, you will see all the files that have been updated after the 2018 season. There are various links and what is contained in each file. Corrections, additions are requested. Thanks in advance to anyone who supplies and information. There are three pages of infomation, so you have to scroll down to see them. http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ra...20updates2.pdf For anyone who doesn't have an account on yappi, send a message to this email. bobby.heim2@gmail.com

Last edited by Lancermania; 08-07-18 at 07:52 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-18, 05:45 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Nice compilation, Bob. I see you've been busy
Old 08-07-18, 07:27 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Thank you again for all the work you put into these list.
Old 08-07-18, 08:17 AM
Lancers lead the way!

skins99, don't ever forget that you were the one who created the monster this has become. You started a post asking if anyone would be interested in doing a top ten for the Cincinnati area. I jumped on board and a five man committee was created called SLIMS composed of you, me, impartial oberver, moemancc, and Seek up. It took off from there. JAVMAN83 spend years of his life researching the district results at the main library downtown to get what we have today in the champions file. A huge impetus occurred in 2012 when Frank Russo was elected president of the coaches association and started their web site. This whole thing started in 2005 thanks to your suggestion which snowballed into what it is today. Here is the historic date and time it all began thanks to skins99 06-16-05, 08:07 AM
Old 08-07-18, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
skins99, don't ever forget that you were the one who created the monster this has become. You started a post asking if anyone would be interested in doing a top ten for the Cincinnati area. I jumped on board and a five man committee was created called SLIMS composed of you, me, impartial oberver, moemancc, and Seek up. It took off from there. JAVMAN83 spend years of his life researching the district results at the main library downtown to get what we have today in the champions file. A huge impetus occurred in 2012 when Frank Russo was elected president of the coaches association and started their web site. This whole thing started in 2005 thanks to your suggestion which snowballed into what it is today. Here is the historic date and time it all began thanks to skins99 06-16-05, 08:07 AM
Anyone who has contributed is to be congratulated. No one can do it all, but the collective effort is quite something to behold!

As for the specifics of the district meets, that effort for me started out of one of frustration. I was tired of reading the same mistakes in district records, year-after-year, across various district meet programs. So, in 2009-2010, I set out to document what really were the district records. I had no intention when I started in compiling what you now see in the files, but those files were the result. After spending a few months of research, I determined that it was impossible to properly identify the district records without actually documenting each year's worth of district meet results. I thought my research would only take me back to 1971, which was the start of the now 3-classification system (then AAA, AA, and A). However, as I completed those years, I learned that some of the district records (boys) had come from before 1971 and had been adopted as the district records 1971-hence. So, I ended up going back to the old two-class system, AA & A, for years before 1971. Well, that was a whole new set of data that ended up taking me back to the very 1st district meet in Southwest Ohio first held in 1923 at Oxford. To date, I know I've spent over 4000 hours on the research and compiling of these documents, and that effort is continuing still. The research, as Lancermania alluded to, has taken me to libraries big and small across the following counties: Hamilton, Butler, Warren, Clermont, Brown, Clinton, Montgomery, Greene, Preble, Clark, Darke, Miami, and Shelby counties. Lancermania and I have looked through many hundreds (if not thousands) of microfilm rolls, reviewed the same amount, if not more, of various school yearbooks, and have reviewed other supporting documentation in putting together the research. I know others have done similar efforts, but I can't speak for their amounts. I'm currently working on some upgrades to the existing documents while I work towards a future release of not only the district winners, but all qualifiers from the district meet to the next level of competition. Prior to 1965, the district meet qualifiers went directly to state. Since 1965, they've gone to the regional meets.

I've enjoyed putting all these files together as it combines two passions of mine: track & field and history. It has been a lot of fun and enlightening to learn a lot about the history of the sport locally, and I'm glad to that I could play a small role in bringing that lost history to light. I hope everyone enjoys.
Old 08-07-18, 12:33 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Now with a complete turnover in officers at the Coaches Association, there is no guarantee they will continue the web site. I have heard grumblings about the cost and the fact the site generates very little traffic. Here is what I found out by contacting the web master.

This year (January 1st - August 5th) the site has had 758 users (740 of those were new users) and the site has generated 1,022 different sessions. This comes out to 2,654 total pages viewed. The web site is hosted by GoDaddy. GoDaddy Inc. is an American publicly traded Internet domain registrar and web hosting company. GoDaddy has approximately 17 million customers and over 6,000 employees worldwide. The company is known for its advertising on TV and in the newspapers. It has been involved in several controversies related to censorship. GoDaddy charges the Association $65 per month to host the web site.
Old 08-07-18, 01:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Now with a complete turnover in officers at the Coaches Association, there is no guarantee they will continue the web site. I have heard grumblings about the cost and the fact the site generates very little traffic. Here is what I found out by contacting the web master.

This year (January 1st - August 5th) the site has had 758 users (740 of those were new users) and the site has generated 1,022 different sessions. This comes out to 2,654 total pages viewed. The web site is hosted by GoDaddy. GoDaddy Inc. is an American publicly traded Internet domain registrar and web hosting company. GoDaddy has approximately 17 million customers and over 6,000 employees worldwide. The company is known for its advertising on TV and in the newspapers. It has been involved in several controversies related to censorship. GoDaddy charges the Association $65 per month to host the web site.

Nice homework. I had no idea they were hosted by GoDaddy. While they're a good service, they're not the only ones. $65/month is a lot of money for that kind of traffic. Maybe there's another solution that is far less costly?
Old 08-07-18, 01:37 PM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Your work is much appreciated guys.
Old 08-07-18, 01:59 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Nice homework. I had no idea they were hosted by GoDaddy. While they're a good service, they're not the only ones. $65/month is a lot of money for that kind of traffic. Maybe there's another solution that is far less costly?
At the time the Association started the web site, there were two proposals: one by the current web master and another from an employee of Mt. Healthy City Schools. The Mt. Healthy guy said he could set up the web site but we would have to keep it going. Members voted on the GoDaddy proposal. Oh, how I wish they had taken the other proposal and we wouldn't be at the point we are now. If only I could find the other guy who made the proposal.
Old 08-07-18, 06:36 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
First off kudos to those of you involved in this effort. With the level of traffic you show, you ought to be able to find a significantly cheaper (or free) alternative for web hosting.
Old 08-08-18, 10:27 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Yes and then life changed for me and I had little time to contribute. I think of myself as an idea guy, not so much on execution
Old 08-09-18, 07:53 AM
Lancers lead the way!

There was a glaring error in the javelin city records. I had the right meet down but never changed his throw. Ryan Smith of Moeller should have been listed at 176'00" in the javelin not 160'00". The error has been corrected. http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ci...s%20Boys34.pdf. If this is correct Ohio milepslit has this down as the all time Ohio best: 198-5, GREG FISHER, Chaminade Julienne, 2008 USATF Junior Outdoor T & F Champs 7th.

Last edited by Lancermania; 08-09-18 at 08:05 AM..
Old 08-09-18, 03:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
First off kudos to those of you involved in this effort. With the level of traffic you show, you ought to be able to find a significantly cheaper (or free) alternative for web hosting.
Thank you for the input.

Yes, indeed, there are FREE solutions that offer considerable storage of files and webhosting. I don't and won't speak for SWOTCCCA or their needs, but I've got desires to create my own site featuring not only files I've forwarded to SWOTCCCA, but other research projects I'm working on. I've started the process of evaluating free offers, and will make things known when I've got things started. If I come up with something that satisfies what I think it'll take to do what I want, I'll let you all know.
Old 08-11-18, 01:23 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Does anyone use the term archivist for the person who maintains the Track and Field historical data for their school? Someone who calls himself the Moeller archivist found two errors in their relays that were district champions. He was correct and the changes have been made. Here is updated Mason district champions file. http://www.swotccca.com/Documents/Ch...018%20(11).pdf
Old 08-11-18, 08:31 AM
All American

Archivist is a perfectly good term. In fact, I consider it admirable terminology. Very good use of the English language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivist
Old 08-12-18, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
I like the records and the overall idea of this project.

From the outside the confusing portion:

1. Southwest Ohio Records
2. Southwest Ohio Coaches Association

All of these use the term 'southwest.'

When an outsider reads this they believe it is the Southwest Regional teams and encompassing all of Southwest Ohio. In reality it truly is just Cincinnati teams that participate in Cincinnati Leagues/conferences. From the outside perspective I would change the name to truly embody the organization. Unsure how you would do this but I would stick to the Cincinnati district teams. And call it Cincinnati records.

Middletown is included due to their league but they are a good 30 minutes from Cincinnati. Leagues have changed over the years many times and in the future Cincinnati leagues could increase or decrease under school admin or AD's. I believe (from the football thread) that Lebanon is leaving their league for a Cincinnati league.

Will Lebanon be included? Just the current marks or include the old marks too? What about the GCL and the GGCL? They include catholic teams far north of Cincinnati over an hour away why aren't they included?
Old 08-12-18, 10:54 AM
Lancers lead the way!

You may see Middletown included in District champions files because we had to include them since they went to district track meets for years at Fairfield with other GMC teams. Where Middletown is not included is in the rankings like the top 25 for both meters and yards. Right now the criterion is solely if you go to Cincinnati area district meet which now are Mason, Winton Woods, and New Richmond in track and VOA in cross country. The league that Lebanon is in wouldn't matter since the only criterion is which district meet does Lebanon go to. To answer about the GCL,GGCL, the answer is the same school like Badin are not included but they don't go to a district meet at one of the above mentioned sites (i.e. New Richmond)
Old 08-12-18, 12:08 PM
All American

EuclidandViren:

I can certainly understand your perspective.

A little bit of background, separate from Lancermania's input. I don't know the origin of how SWOTCCCA came to be or in what year, but with regard to the district meet files, the origins of those meets came from the original Southwest District Championships for both Class A & Class B schools held originally at Oxford (Miami U.) from 1923-1933 that encompassed the then existing schools in primarily Southwest Ohio, but also extended upward as far as Sidney and over to Bellefontaine. Prior to that, there had been maybe a handful of schools that had participated in the State meet from this area of the state. However, with the creation of the Southwest district meet in 1923, participation from this are into the state meet grew rapidly. By 1934, growth was enough so that the original meet was split into two: one in Oxford, and one in Dayton. That occurred in 1934, and after that, both sets of meets grew on their own in various ways. The Oxford meet went to Cincinnati in 1935, toggling between UC, Western Hills, Walnut Hills, Withrow, then finally settling into Trechter Stadium (campus of the old Central HS, not Cincinnati State U.) near Clifton. In 1959, the large school meet (AA) split into the old Cincinnati AA & Oxford AA meets. The Class A (small school) stayed together until 1971, when the 3 class system was introduced. Today's Mason I & Winton Woods I, along with both the New Richmond II & III district meets all have their roots traced back to the original meet in 1923 at Oxford. So do today's Dayton district meets.

With regard to the compilation of Dayton-area (and outlying areas) that you mentioned, that is whole other set of projects, but one of which is slowly being compiled. I know i spent over 4000 hours doing the research and compilation of the Cincinnati-area district meet stuff, but I've also picked up a lot of info on outlying areas along with Dayton-area stuff along the way. I'm thinking of releasing some preliminary listings some time next year, but something on the order of what I did with the Cincinnati stuff would be at least 3-5 years away. They are huge undertakings.

I hope that gives some additional perspective.