Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-02-18, 08:13 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
LaSalle new T&F coach named

https://www.lasallehs.net/news-story...coach-20180801
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-18, 05:52 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
The La Salle Athletic Department announced today that Eric Vehr '70 has been named the next Varsity Lancer Track & Field Coach
Old 08-03-18, 10:35 AM
All District

honorsports is on a distinguished road
Isn't 66 a little old to be named a head coach?

How can someone who has only been a volunteer coach qualify as a head coach since he has no paid coaching experience?

This whole process seems strange to me.
Old 08-03-18, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Isn't 66 a little old to be named a head coach?

If the coach is willing to do the work, age doesn't matter. There are plenty of older track coaches out there who are very good at what they do. The better question might be: Who else is on this coach's staff?

How can someone who has only been a volunteer coach qualify as a head coach since he has no paid coaching experience?

Whether or not a coach was previously paid is not indicative of the coach's ability or qualifications. There may be other circumstances that determine whether or not a coach is paid or unpaid.

This whole process seems strange to me.

Perhaps others can speak to whether or not LaSalle did its due diligence for this hire.
Old 08-03-18, 03:22 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Maybe this guy is a 66 yr old Volunteer Head Coach��
Old 08-03-18, 10:14 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Age doesn’t matter, I’m 64....my mind is still sharp..I love track and field and student athletes .and I still put in 90 minute runs. I, would say I have had some success. If, you don’t like the hire say so. But not because of his age.
Old 08-04-18, 01:51 PM
All District

starcatcher8 is on a distinguished road
Here is an example of age doesn't matter: Dr. Joe Vigil (USA men's distance coach at the 88 and 08 Olympics, long-time Adams State cross country and track coach) is 88 years old and still has a mind that is sharp. In the 2016 Olympics he had two of his eight elite athletes made the Olympic team for the USA. I heard him speak this past weekend. He talked for 90 minutes with no notes and had the audience laughing when it was appropriate and silent when he was serious. At the end of his speech over 300 people gave him a standing ovation.
Old 08-04-18, 06:05 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
I know the coach well. If he can keep the coaching staff together that Russo assembled, all will be well with La Salle track and field. Retired UC coach Bill Schnier coached the hurdlers, NCAA finalist in the pole vault Mike Albrinck coached the vaulters, NCAA finals placer in their discus Mike Berwanger coached the throwers. Vehr himself coached the jumpers.
Old 08-04-18, 09:36 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Is Vehr related to Nick Vehr, of mid-70's St. Xavier 6' 7" high jump fame?
Old 08-04-18, 11:19 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Nick is his brother. Don't forget that Nick tried to bring the Olympic Games to Cincinnati.
Old 08-04-18, 11:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Nick is his brother. Don't forget that Nick tried to bring the Olympic Games to Cincinnati.
I figured they were related, but one going to LaSalle and the other to St. Xavier...interesting. Yep, I do remember the whole Nick Vehr push back in the late 90's in trying to get the 2012 Games to Cincinnati. I always thought that was totally outrageous as I had already come to understand by then that the IOC will only look at MAJOR cities. The starting population is 2.5 million people for a host city, and even now, the IOC is finding it difficult to get bidders for the Games given that the costs have gone north of 15-20 BILLION dollars. No way, no how, were the Games EVER going to come to Cincinnati. Totally unrealistic.
Old 08-05-18, 07:05 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Highly unlikely but I'll never blame someone for trying.

On side note I think your going to see more team bids like north American bid that won the world cup. Individual cities are struggling to justify the expense associated with running the games.
Old 08-05-18, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
Highly unlikely but I'll never blame someone for trying.

On side note I think your going to see more team bids like north American bid that won the world cup. Individual cities are struggling to justify the expense associated with running the games.
That might happen, but I think there's a developing push to make a permanent home for the Olympic Games...IF they survive. The Summer Games are set for 2020 (Tokyo), 2024 (Paris - 100th anniversary of their last one), and 2028 (Los Angeles). All three cities are HUGE populaces with long-standing underlying infrastructures. Even then, the costs of hosting the games according to IOC standards are outrageous. Personally, unless there is a severe whittling back on the number of Olympic sports per games, then I honestly think they won't continue at some point. The main sport of the summer games, athletics (track & field), is already struggling in many ways. The "professionalism" that officially began in the early 1980's has turned into a sport of millionaires (Carl Lewis, Sergey Bubka, etc.) and of also-rans that place in the top ten, but not Gold. It could accurately be called an amateur sport with a few professionals mixed in. Most world class athletes struggle financially year-to-year. Just look at the tweets of multiple gold medalist, Ohio's own Tianna Bartoletta (Madison). The system is a joke. And that is all without bringing up what the whole airing of dirty laundry (constant publication of PED violators and constant re-awarding of medals) is doing to the sport. The average joe can never be sure if the "winners" he/she is watching will be overturned a day, or even 10 years, later. I could rant on about that, but that's for another thread.
Old 08-05-18, 05:47 PM
All American

Wow, almost 1200 views already. LaSalle really is a high-profile position! Congrats to Lancer & company.