Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-12-16, 08:51 AM
Varsity

CONCERNED PARENT is on a distinguished road
Help us learn about players transfer rules

How does the new player transfer rules work??? It seems some players get to play and others have to sit out games... also seems that certain schools always have players transfer in and start playing day 1 and other schools have players that have to sit out. I'm not trying to call out certain schools but every year Wayne somehow has new players that move in and start playing day1... I get why players want to go there because it's one of the best football programs around, but I just don't see why if it's good for some its not good for all schools. Do they know something the rest of us don't or do the rules have a gray area in them. Like I said, I'm not trying to call out Wayne by no mean... but their program always seem to come up when talking about this. Please someone explain it to us!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-16, 09:35 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
www.ohsaa.com
Old 08-12-16, 09:54 AM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
It's OHSAA.org

Actually move into the district you play right away

Open enroll your sitting out 1/2 the year.

Thats the quick version. If you want to read up more, hit the website.
Old 08-12-16, 10:01 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
This link will take you to a pdf of the OHSAA bylaws. The section on transfers begins on page 51. As you read through it there are very specific rules regarding transfers and their eligibility as well as opportunities to position OHSAA for a waiver.

http://ohsaa.org/general/about/Bylaws.pdf

It is very easy to look at a school like Wayne and assume they are getting away with something others are not. However with as much scrutiny as they get, I am sure that they would have been turned in if they are violating a rule.

If they have found a loophole then other schools need to learn it and use it if they feel they are at a disadvantage.
Old 08-12-16, 10:03 AM
All Universe

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONCERNED PARENT View Post
How does the new player transfer rules work??? It seems some players get to play and others have to sit out games... also seems that certain schools always have players transfer in and start playing day 1 and other schools have players that have to sit out. I'm not trying to call out certain schools but every year Wayne somehow has new players that move in and start playing day1... I get why players want to go there because it's one of the best football programs around, but I just don't see why if it's good for some its not good for all schools. Do they know something the rest of us don't or do the rules have a gray area in them. Like I said, I'm not trying to call out Wayne by no mean... but their program always seem to come up when talking about this. Please someone explain it to us!!!
myob
Old 08-12-16, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Rule Number 1- Any parent with half a brain and/or a little money with a talented kid can figure out how to transfer their kid with no penalty.
Old 08-12-16, 10:57 AM
Varsity

SAM6482 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Rule Number 1- Any parent with half a brain and/or a little money with a talented kid can figure out how to transfer their kid with no penalty.
^^^That^^^
Old 08-12-16, 04:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
myob
Really... that's the best you can come up with??
Old 08-12-16, 04:13 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Rule #2: As soon as you think your kid might be a sporto, sell your house, start renting, and know all your options. Don't accumulate a lot of heavy crap that you need to haul in / out / up / down.
Old 08-12-16, 04:13 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Sounds like loopholes to me... if true there's a big problem with the system.
Old 08-12-16, 06:16 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In ten years, these will be the good old days when kids played for fun and good old Podunk High had a fighting chance against BFE Local. OHSAA football is a product, and its customers want quality. They are marketing Thursday night games. ESPN carried a game last year. Eventually, they'll have Friday Night Ticket packages. The high school athletic industrial complex wants more Waynes, not less. Last year's final was perfect. It's obvious that as time goes by the rules are getting looser and their enforcement is getting laxer.

Honesty is harsh, but, if you feel slighted, it's probably just because your kid isn't that good.
Old 08-12-16, 07:02 PM
All American

Calif_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The system reflects the values of society at large or in general. Your values (and mine, for that matter) might be the kids living in the District of Old Siwash High grow up and play for them against other schools that have a similar and traditional neighborhood only makeup.

But money talks and everything else walks. And the traditional community made up of the same families generation after generation is something of the past in todays ever more mobile society. People keep moving, from the City to the inner ring 'burbs, to the outer ring 'burbs, to the exurbs, to the countryside etc.

Or they follow the work completely out of the area or even the State. I personally followed the work and the Sun to California. My family left Euclid for Lake County once it was apparent urban decline was setting in. Loads of people I know graduated from Cleveland area schools and left the State as I did, for work and or for sunshine. (Less or no snow.)

I'd like to see the traditional way of things stay in place too. But I didn't participate in maintaining the status quo and neither did anyone around me. So there it is. When I go home to the two or three East Side cities I mainly grew up in, almost everyone I knew is gone, no longer lives there. All across Northeast Ohio people are fleeing the cities and even the inner ring suburbs. Those that move to a new District, their kids can play right away with no penalty.

I don't agree with the 1/2 season penalty either, Parents should be able to do what is right and or best for their children without suffering some sort of penalty. Things are always going to change & that's all there is to it. There are much larger social & economic forces at work against the idea of tradition & are far stronger than us merely wanting to see our neighborhood HS play someone elses neighborhood school.

Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 08-12-16 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-12-16, 07:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
From the OHSAA website:

Section 7. Transfers
4-7-1 The transfer bylaws apply to all students enrolled in grades 9-12 who are transferring high schools whether the schools are public or non-public, member or non-member or whether the high schools are within the same school system or district.
4-7-2 A student is considered to have transferred whenever a.) enrollment is changed from one school to another school, or b.) the student participates in a practice, scrimmage or contest with a school-sponsored squad of a school in which the student has not been enrolled unless the non- enrolled studentís participation is pursuant to O.R.C. ßß 3313.5311 (Ohio non-public school students), or 3313.537 (Ohio community/STEM school students.) If a student transfers at any time after the fifth day of the studentís ninth grade year or after having established eligibility prior to the start of school by playing in a contest (scrimmage, preview/jamboree, Foundation game or regular season/tournament contest), until the one-year anniversary of the date of enrollment in the school to which the student transferred, the student shall be ineligible for all contests (in- cluding all scrimmages, preview/jamboree/Foundation games) until after the first 50 percent of the maximum allowable regular season contests in those sports in which the student participated (participation being defined as playing in a contest) during the 12 months immediately preceding this transfer have been competed. Once eligibility is restored, the student shall be eligible for no more than 50% of the maximum allowable contests, quarters, halves or points, which are permit- ted, in any recognized sport. Maximum allowable DOES NOT MEAN what you have on your regular season schedule if the number of such contests is less than the ďmaximum allowableĒ permitted by Sport Regulation.
Note 1: For purposes of this bylaw, a student is considered to have participated in a sport if he/ she has entered, if for only one play, a scrimmage or contests at any level of competition/contests (e.g. freshman, junior varsity and varsity).
Note 2: If a student transfers during the season of a sport in which he or she has participated, and Bylaw 4-7-3 requires that the student is ineligible for participation in the remainder of the contests in that sports season, at the commencement of that sport during the next school year, the student remains ineligible for the pre-season contests (scrimmages, preview/jamboree, Founda- tion games) and up to 50 percent of the regular season contests in that sport. The total number of regular season contests for which the student will be ineligible is a function of the number of regular season contests in which he or she was ineligible in accordance with 4-7-3.
Note 3: ORC 3313.5312 (Ohio home educated students) has been intentionally left out of the exclusions of subpart (b) addressing students participating in programs where they are not en- rolled. Once a home-educated student participates with a school sponsored squad of a school in which the student is not enrolled, the studentís eligibility is established at that school. Participat- ing on any other schoolsí sponsored squad will be considered a transfer for which the balance of this bylaw and its exception would be applicable.

With respect to inter-district transfers, one or more of the following exceptions may apply:
EXCEPTION 1: If, as a result of a bona fide legal change of residence made by BOTH PARENTS (biological, adoptive or stepparents) from one public school district into another school district whether from outside the state of Ohio or within Ohio, the student is compelled to transfer to another high school, the Commissionerís Office may waive all or part of the 50 percent period of ineligibility for one or more sport/sport seasons. The requirement that ďboth parentsĒ make the move may be waived by the Commissionerís Office if the marriage of the parents has been or is in the process of being legally terminated or if the parents were never married. In addition, the Commissionerís Office, in its sole discretion, may extend conditional eligibility for up to 90 days in cases where parents are making a bona fide move into a residence that is more than 100 miles from their former residence, and there are extenuating circumstances that are presented which prevent one of the parents from making the move immediately. This 90-day conditional provision may be extended for up to 90 more days ONLY in the case of medical or military obligations that prevent one of the parents from making the move at the same time as the other parent.
If the person(s) making the bona fide move is not the biological or adoptive parent or stepparent of the student, the school administrator must disclose the custodial relationship, provide the court ordered documents and advise as to the whereabouts of the studentís biological or adoptive parents.
An Affidavit of Bona Fide Residence in the form requested by the Commissionerís Office, must be submitted along with any request for the application of this exception.
Note: Please refer to Bylaw 4-6-1 for a definition of bona fide residence. Also, the student and the studentís parents must reside in this new residence for a period of one year from the date on which this exception was applied to a given student. The school district will have a continuing duty to monitor compliance with the residency requirements during this one year period. Exception one permits the choice of the public high school in the parentsí new public district of residence or any non-public high school. If, however, the new residence into which the family has moved is more than 100 miles from the residence from which the family moved as determined by mapquest.com or such other navigational system as adopted by the Board of

Directors at its August meeting (using the most direct route), the student shall have the option to enroll contemporaneously with this move into any public high school.
EXCEPTION 2: If, as a result of a legal change of custody or guardianship as between a studentís parents, who live in two different school districts, the student is compelled to transfer from one school district to another school district, the Commissionerís Office may waive all or part of the 50 percent period of ineligibility for one or more sport/sport seasons. If custody of a student is changed to a non-parent, who lives in a different school district than the previous cus- todian, as a result of allegations of abuse, neglect or delinquency/unruliness which allegations result in an adjudication of one or more of those allegations, the Commissionerís Office may waive all or part of the 50 percent period of ineligibility for one or more sport/sport seasons. The granting of a change of guardianship to a non-parent will not comply with this exception.
The Commissionerís Office, in its sole discretion, may waive the requirement of a court-ordered legal change of custody/guardianship for a student who is 18, when circumstances are presented that the student was compelled to transfer schools and reside with a parent who is a bona fide resident of the state of Ohio.
Note: By operation of statute, there cannot be a legal change of custody so long as a Shared Par- enting Plan as defined in ORC ß3109.04 is in effect. In order for there to be a change in custody, the Shared Parenting Plan must be terminated. Exception two permits the choice of a public high school in the legal custodianís public school district of residence or any non-public high school.
EXCEPTION 3: If the high school, which is either a chartered high school in a single high school public school district or a chartered non-public high school, in which the student is en- rolled closes or discontinues its entire high school educational program after grade nine, the student may enroll in any school and be immediately eligible at that high school insofar as transfer is concerned. Likewise, if the bona fide residence of the studentís parents is annexed to a different school district or consolidated within a school district, the student may be ruled eligible upon transfer to a school in the annexed or consolidated district subject to modification by for- mal action by the Boards of Education concerned. A copy of such action by Boards of Education must be on file in the Association office before the Commissionerís office can rule the student eligible. Note: This exception shall be available to any student whose high school has closed as long as that high school was an OHSAA member school prior to the 2012-13 school year.
Note 1: For school closings in a multiple high school district, see Bylaw 4-7-4 regarding intra- district transfers.
Note 2: This exception has no application to the closing of any ďnon-traditional schoolĒ such as a community school or a non-chartered non-public high school.
EXCEPTION 4: A student who does not live in the same school district as parents or legal guardian and who is financially self-supporting may be ruled eligible upon approval of the Com- missioner at a school in the district where the student resides. The Commissioner is empowered to establish requirements for the student to be determined to be self-supporting. These requirements shall be established for each school year by May 15th of the preceding year. Self-support documentation must be submitted for approval every 30 days. The student is ineligible until ruled eligible by the Commissioner. Note: Living with and/or being employed by a relative does not qualify for self-support under this exception.
EXCEPTION 5: A student transferred to the State School for the Blind or State School for the Deaf shall be eligible upon enrollment.
EXCEPTION 6: The Commissioner shall have the discretionary power to waive the residence requirements for a student who has been enrolled in the district in accordance with ORC ßß 3313.64 (F)(6) or 3313.64 (F)(7). The student is ineligible until ruled eligible by the Commissionerís Office.
EXCEPTION 7: If a student is a victim of harassment, intimidation or bullying as those terms are defined at ORC ß3313.666 (A)(2) which harassment, intimidation or bullying has been docu- mented to the school district in accordance with the ORC, and as a result of this documented harassment, intimidation or bullying the student is compelled to transfer, the Commissionerís

Office, in its sole discretion, may waive all or part of the 50 percent period of ineligibility for one or more sport/sports seasons provided:
1) The Districtís Anti-Harassment, Anti-Intimidation, Anti-Bullying policies and procedures ad- opted in accordance with ORC ß3313.666 have been strictly followed and complied with; and
2) The District provides the Commissionerís Office with a copy of the duly adopted policies and procedures; and
3) The District secures the appropriate releases from the student/studentís parents authorizing the District to provide a complete record of the events and circumstances on which the policies and procedures were initiated including:
a) A specific, detailed report of the prohibited incident(s);
b) An outline of the procedures used to respond to and investigate the reported incident(s);
c) A copy of the findings that were a result of the complaint process and investigation;
d) A specific, detailed disciplinary procedure for any individual found guilty of harassment, intimidation or bullying;
e) All reports of notification to parents or guardians of any student involvement in the incident(s);
f) A report of the intervention strategies and remedial action the school has undertaken to assist the student and redress the complaint.
4) The District provides the Commissionerís Office with all of the above-referenced records.
EXCEPTION 8: A student who has transferred to another high school to take advantage of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program may be ruled eligible upon approval of the Commis- sionerís Office. Such a student who transfers under this provision and who subsequently drops out of the Program shall be declared immediately ineligible and may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Bylaw 11-Penalties.
EXCEPTION 9: A student shall be entitled to one transfer to the public high school located in the public school district within which the studentís parent residence is located regardless of whether the student is transferring from a public or nonpublic school.
Note 1: Use of this exception requires the submission of the Exception 9 Form to document the transfer as set forth in the exception. The form can be found at www.ohsaa.org.
Note 2: Exception 9 does not apply to transfers to and from high schools within a multiple high school district/system. Please see Bylaws 4-7-4, 4-7-6 and 4-7-7 for the transfer rules which ap- ply to intra-district or system transfers.
Note 3: Exception 9 cannot be used to transfer from the public high school of the district in which one parent resides to the public high school of the district in which the other parent resides in a split-family situation. Likewise, a non-public student whose parents live in two different public school districts may have the option under this bylaw to transfer to either public school district in which the studentís parents reside provided: a.) the student has never been enrolled in a public high school or b.) the student has been enrolled in the non-public school for a minimum of one semester.
EXCEPTION 10: A student who has been enrolled in and attending a member school in a school district that, through formal action by the school districtís Board of Education, has elected to effectively cease with its sponsorship of its entire interscholastic athletic programs, may transfer to any other school district/system and have his/her eligibility restored upon application to the Commissionerís Office. Furthermore, if the school district formally elects, through Board of Education action, to resume its sponsorship of its interscholastic athletic programs, a student who transferred under the provisions of this Exception may transfer back to the member school from which she/he transferred under this provision provided this transfer back occurs prior to the start of the next school year following the school year in which resumption of the sponsorship of interscholastic athletic programs occurred.

In consideration of all applications for the restoration of eligibility pursuant to this Exception, the Commissionerís Office shall give due consideration to all factors relating to the transfer and particularly the timing of the transfer in relation to the formal actions taken by the Board of Education in either the cessation and/or resumption of its sponsorship of these programs. For purposes of this Exception, ďformal actionĒ shall mean more than the mere threat of cessation of sponsorship, and resolutions that are contingent upon a future event or happening will not be regarded as ďformal actionĒ until such contingency has been met.
No student transferring under this provision shall be eligible until declared eligible by the Com- missionerís Office.
Old 08-13-16, 01:17 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
In ten years, these will be the good old days when kids played for fun and good old Podunk High had a fighting chance against BFE Local. OHSAA football is a product, and its customers want quality. They are marketing Thursday night games. ESPN carried a game last year. Eventually, they'll have Friday Night Ticket packages. The high school athletic industrial complex wants more Waynes, not less. Last year's final was perfect. It's obvious that as time goes yby the rules are getting looser and their enforcement is getting laxer.

Honesty is harsh, but, if you feel slighted, it's probably just because your kid isn't that good.
The kids are good enough but you can't compete against an unfair advantage... fair is fair ... the rules have to be equal
Old 08-13-16, 06:05 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Didn't alt id get the answer in third post? Was the "concern" to know the rule or is it a thread to troll a school? Show some f-in guts and be honest or close thread, right?
Old 08-13-16, 06:58 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Didn't alt id get the answer in third post? Was the "concern" to know the rule or is it a thread to troll a school? Show some f-in guts and be honest or close thread, right?
It was to know the rules... nothing more then that. If you don't like the thread then get off it. The system is not right and needs to be fixed. If it's good for one then it should be good for others. Does that help you and your rude self ... I'm not hiding from anything
Old 08-13-16, 07:31 AM
Cooling Off

M2M can only hope to improve
Clearly a player can not transfer to play for coach that has moved on to another school, no matter how much the coach pressures him to do so.

http://www.indeonline.com/news/20160...-for-massillon
Old 08-13-16, 08:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
It was to know the rules... nothing more then that. If you don't like the thread then get off it. The system is not right and needs to be fixed. If it's good for one then it should be good for others. Does that help you and your rude self ... I'm not hiding from anything

Apparently you are. Is the thread to "know the rules," well, now you know them. Q.E.D end of thread.

It was meant to troll a school. Of all the schools in the state, you decide there was one that was going to help you "know the rules" better than others? just admit want it is you really wanted with the thread and stop hiding it behind some alt id attempt of innocent inquiry. Hiding agendas behind pretense of innocence is "rude." It deserves to be called out.
Old 08-13-16, 09:23 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Whatever you do, do NOT let the coaches give your son a sandwich!
Old 08-13-16, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Some of the attempts to keep things on the "fair and square" do boggle on the surface but then it's earned by those that see a rule, not an intent, and do what they can to twist it to personal gain. Like alt id (or is it one of these new wannabe "journalists" that so populated the puddle?) here, using one thing to appear innocent in order to bring his/her righteous indignation to another when a little honesty would have put the whole thing on topic and on high road.
Old 08-15-16, 07:53 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you don't know the specifics of each players move then it is ridiculous to assume someone is getting preferential treatment.
Old 08-15-16, 09:18 AM
All Region

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yappi laid it out for you. A rule with 10 exceptions. There are no problems with the system....it IS the system. We all live with it, so fair is fair.
Old 08-15-16, 09:20 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
myob
In the interest of a fair competition, it's everyone's business. If you don't like it, advocate that your school leave the OHSAA.
Old 08-15-16, 09:20 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Apparently you are. Is the thread to "know the rules," well, now you know them. Q.E.D end of thread.

It was meant to troll a school. Of all the schools in the state, you decide there was one that was going to help you "know the rules" better than others? just admit want it is you really wanted with the thread and stop hiding it behind some alt id attempt of innocent inquiry. Hiding agendas behind pretense of innocence is "rude." It deserves to be called out.
It really was not meant to trash any school... but if you want to ride on the Wayne Train then jump on... they have the transfer thing figured out and it looks like the rest of the schools need to figure it out... it's just a shame that a kid has to sit out half of his senior year and others don't... something just doesn't smell right
Old 08-15-16, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Rule #2: As soon as you think your kid might be a sporto, sell your house, start renting, and know all your options. Don't accumulate a lot of heavy crap that you need to haul in / out / up / down.
Sounds like you're envious of those with little means ?
Old 08-15-16, 09:41 AM
All Region

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it's just a shame that a kid has to sit out half of his senior year
If someone is transferring and sitting out and can't fit one of the nine exceptions (we will ignore the Schools for the Blind and Deaf for the sake of this argument) then why is that kid transferring?? Rather than blasting people that effectively transfer schools, maybe you could provide an example of someone that doesn't get it.
Old 08-15-16, 10:43 AM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It really was not meant to trash any school... but if you want to ride on the Wayne Train then jump on... they have the transfer thing figured out and it looks like the rest of the schools need to figure it out... it's just a shame that a kid has to sit out half of his senior year and others don't... something just doesn't smell right
It appears that you are saying that somehow Wayne is not adbiding by the rules. I am curious how you think they are getting away with this? If you are that concerned have you contacted OHSAA with evidence of this?
Old 08-15-16, 01:16 PM
All Region

lightspeed84 is on a distinguished road
I've said this before, situation 1 (really happened)- 6'4 220 t.e/wr had decent junior year under wing-t coach had 15 receptions for 600 yards or so, coach leaves, school hires veer option coach and moves kid to tackle.- Should that kid had the ability to transfer without sitting? Yes, that new coach ruined that boys senior year and hinder his college path severely. Kids famiy didnt have the money to move, etc, etc,. Or what if your boy is a 220# rb runs fairly well (4.8) and coach starts running new offense goes 5 wide empty and coach sticks him at OL because they don't have any, should that kid be able to transfer?

Last edited by lightspeed84; 08-15-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
It appears that you are saying that somehow Wayne is not adbiding by the rules. I am curious how you think they are getting away with this? If you are that concerned have you contacted OHSAA with evidence of this?
This thread is an obvious attack on Wayne despite what the author states. He could simply stated how does the transfer rules work and why do some kids have to sit while others do not.

Wayne has had kids that had not have to sit out and they have had some who have so their is no special treatment but the haters want to spin it. I would be curious who the school is that the author follows as I bet they also have move-ins....
Old 08-15-16, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Rule #3- a really good player living in the coach's basement is likely to draw attention.