Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-19, 11:30 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Pitchers and catchers report today!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-19, 12:06 PM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
80 to 82 wins. Iíd put them right on the boarder of 500.
I would think that they can contend for a wild card. However playing the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals 18 times each is going to be tough.
Old 02-12-19, 12:14 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebass13 View Post
I would think that they can contend for a wild card. However playing the Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals 18 times each is going to be tough.
Thatís why they probably only get 80 wins. However, you canít be too upset with that when thereís a lot of high level talent still coming through the Farm System.
Old 02-12-19, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I think getting to 500 will be a big accomplishment for this group in this division. If they contend for a wild card, that would be amazing. Realistically, they are a year or two away from making a post season run of any kind.
Old 02-12-19, 02:29 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
I applaud the offseason moves. What is a realistic win total for this team?
80+ is realistic.
Old 02-12-19, 09:19 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
National holiday
Old 02-13-19, 09:36 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
So Manfred will be the Grand Marshall at the parade. Thought for sure Marty would get the call. Probably next year.
Old 02-13-19, 11:08 AM
All World

I can understand why fans would curb their enthusiasm some, but it's baseball, and teams can come together quickly. Last year, the Brewers, A's and Rockies all won over 90 games, and I'm pretty sure no one expected that.
Now alot of things would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs, but I really do feel that they've poised themself to do so.
Old 02-13-19, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
All 3 of those teams had a record improvement trend going into last season and the Brewers and Rockies won 86 and 87 games respectively the previous year. The Reds should be much improved, but have been stagnant in the win column 64 to 68 over the last 4 years.
Old 02-13-19, 12:31 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All 3 of those teams had a record improvement trend going into last season and the Brewers and Rockies won 86 and 87 games respectively the previous year. The Reds should be much improved, but have been stagnant in the win column 64 to 68 over the last 4 years.
I donít understand why ppl buy into this worst to first myth. Itís always about incremental improvement. It doesnít happen to often where teams donít make the playoffs then win the WS the following Yr.
Old 02-13-19, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
14red talking out of his azz again about the brewers and rockies
Old 02-13-19, 02:58 PM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
It still seems like they have too many OF's on the roster.

Although, judging by the amount of free agents still available, I am guessing moves are still going to happen throughout the entire league.
Old 02-18-19, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Some funny news on two of the Reds big contract signings from a few years back:
- Homer Bailey signed a minor league contract with KC and was invited to spring training camp.
- Devin Mesoraco signed a minor league contract with the Mets and was invited to spring training camp.

Yikes. Here's hoping our team's recent decisions / signings work out better...
Old 02-18-19, 10:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Some funny news on two of the Reds big contract signings from a few years back:
- Homer Bailey signed a minor league contract with KC and was invited to spring training camp.
- Devin Mesoraco signed a minor league contract with the Mets and was invited to spring training camp.

Yikes. Here's hoping our team's recent decisions / signings work out better...
Low risk for the team, I hope it works out for both of them. Injuries are career killers.
Old 02-18-19, 02:55 PM
All Ohio

^
I really could care less about those two and their current teams. While it is a sometimes true statement that "injuries are career killers", many great players have injuries and pick up where they left off after recuperating. Not surprisingly, you missed my point.

These were average players that the Reds chose to overpay, was kind of my
point. And I hope our current player decisions are better decisions.
Old 02-19-19, 01:38 PM
All Yappi

Padres spending some donero
Old 02-19-19, 01:42 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Machado to the Padres for 10/300M.

Wil Myers gets bumped off 3rd presumably.
Old 02-19-19, 02:27 PM
All Ohio

Will Myers had transitioned to the OF anyway. i posted this on the free agent thread:

Machado signs 10 years $300 Million with the Padres. This proves:
-- he never did care about winning
-- he doesn't care about his power stats - huge ballpark
-- he just wanted money

My guess is in 4 years he weighs almost 300 pounds and the Padres have deep regret about this contract.
Old 02-20-19, 04:59 PM
All World

It may just be posturing on his part, but I guess Scooter is bent about the Reds not offering him a extension. I'm pretty sure it's because they don't have him in the long range plans. You sign him to an extention, and it makes him more difficult to trade. I'm pretty sure you'll see him dealt mid season and Senzel will be our everyday 2nd baseman of the future.
Old 02-20-19, 06:07 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It may just be posturing on his part, but I guess Scooter is bent about the Reds not offering him a extension. I'm pretty sure it's because they don't have him in the long range plans. You sign him to an extention, and it makes him more difficult to trade. I'm pretty sure you'll see him dealt mid season and Senzel will be our everyday 2nd baseman of the future.
A Scooter extension is far more dependent on Senzel's CF play than anything else. The Reds will need a 2B in 2020. If Senzel takes to CF as well as what some in the organization think he will then he'll be the CF in 2020 and beyond. I suspect the Reds are holding off on extending Scooter until they know what they have in Senzel.

An extension doesn't hurt Scooter's trade stock unless the Reds offer ridiculous money and years. Something along the lines of 3 years/$35M would be a good value for any team looking to pick up a power hitting 2B in his prime years. It would also be a good deal for Scooter as he would complete the deal at age 31. Plenty of opportunity to get another lucrative contract.
Old 02-21-19, 06:24 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
A Scooter extension is far more dependent on Senzel's CF play than anything else. The Reds will need a 2B in 2020. If Senzel takes to CF as well as what some in the organization think he will then he'll be the CF in 2020 and beyond. I suspect the Reds are holding off on extending Scooter until they know what they have in Senzel.

An extension doesn't hurt Scooter's trade stock unless the Reds offer ridiculous money and years. Something along the lines of 3 years/$35M would be a good value for any team looking to pick up a power hitting 2B in his prime years. It would also be a good deal for Scooter as he would complete the deal at age 31. Plenty of opportunity to get another lucrative contract.
A perfect answer, Indiandad.
How do I know that? Well, because those are also my thoughts exactly.

I can understand Scooter's thoughts, because everything he says is true -- not to mention that he REALLY wants to stay a Red. Deals, though, are made for business reasons and not based on emotions. I hope things work out for both him to stay in Cincy. We'll see.
Old 02-21-19, 09:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
A perfect answer, Indiandad.
How do I know that? Well, because those are also my thoughts exactly.

I can understand Scooter's thoughts, because everything he says is true -- not to mention that he REALLY wants to stay a Red. Deals, though, are made for business reasons and not based on emotions. I hope things work out for both him to stay in Cincy. We'll see.
And the Reds are under no obligation to offer him an extension until they offer him an extension. Players want to control all the narratives. Plan A may be that if Senzel is a major league caliber centerfielder, then in 3 months you extend Scooter and go with that. If Senzel doesn't appear he can cut it out there, and Taylor Trammell is your centerfielder in waiting, or someone else, then you trade Scooter and move Sensel into 2nd base.
I'm pretty sure the Reds dangled Scooter out there before the trade deadline last year, no one bit.
Old 02-21-19, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And the Reds are under no obligation to offer him an extension until they offer him an extension. Players want to control all the narratives. Plan A may be that if Senzel is a major league caliber centerfielder, then in 3 months you extend Scooter and go with that. If Senzel doesn't appear he can cut it out there, and Taylor Trammell is your centerfielder in waiting, or someone else, then you trade Scooter and move Sensel into 2nd base.
I'm pretty sure the Reds dangled Scooter out there before the trade deadline last year, no one bit.
Players just want the best deal they can get. Whatís wrong with that?
Old 02-22-19, 10:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Players just want the best deal they can get. Whatís wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that at all. But don't get snippy if the team isn't offering to extend a contract. Look this is simply a negotiating ploy by Gennett, probably at the prodding of his agent to make his unhappiness public.
That's a dangerous game to play, because while we love our sports and athletes, about 99.9 our of 100 of us feel the players are way, way overpaid for playing a game.

BTW, Gennett will make $9.7 mill this year, regardless if he's with the Reds, another team, gets hurt in spring training and never has an at bat. That's guaranteed, money in his bank account at season's end. You add up his contract his first 5 years in pro baseball and it's under that number. He's far from being in the poor house.
Old 02-22-19, 10:32 AM
All World

Um...not to go postal just yet, but in the "here we go again" category. Reds acquisition Sonny Gray, slated to start in tomorrow's spring opener, has been scratched due to right elbow stiffness???
Old 02-22-19, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Um...not to go postal just yet, but in the "here we go again" category. Reds acquisition Sonny Gray, slated to start in tomorrow's spring opener, has been scratched due to right elbow stiffness???
Part of the reason why my expectations aren't as lofty as some on here. Pitching is not only questionable, but health is also a major concern for the Reds. Good thing it's Feb though and not March or April yet. Time to heal.
Old 02-22-19, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that at all. But don't get snippy if the team isn't offering to extend a contract. Look this is simply a negotiating ploy by Gennett, probably at the prodding of his agent to make his unhappiness public.
That's a dangerous game to play, because while we love our sports and athletes, about 99.9 our of 100 of us feel the players are way, way overpaid for playing a game.

BTW, Gennett will make $9.7 mill this year, regardless if he's with the Reds, another team, gets hurt in spring training and never has an at bat. That's guaranteed, money in his bank account at season's end. You add up his contract his first 5 years in pro baseball and it's under that number. He's far from being in the poor house.
Just bc their profession is a game doesnt mean they arent worth the money. Some may be over paid like Homer but that is on the Reds. I think you could argue a lot are under paid, like LeBron and the value he brings to a franchise
Old 02-22-19, 11:52 AM
All Ohio

The posts on here had been pretty good, and today not so much. Examples...

Quote:
You think your opinion is 99.9% ? Nope. Those of us that aren't jealous nits realize that in a free market people generally get paid what they are worth.
Pro athletes generate big bucks in a huge $$$ industry. If the owners writing the checks think they are worth it, then they generally are worth it.

Quote:
LOL. In spring training the established players sit out if last night's taco salad gave them gas. But go ahead and panic if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
...but health is also a major concern for the Reds.
Can you name one team in any sport where health is not a concern?
Old 02-22-19, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
The posts on here had been pretty good, and today not so much. Examples...

You think your opinion is 99.9% ? Nope. Those of us that aren't jealous nits realize that in a free market people generally get paid what they are worth.
Pro athletes generate big bucks in a huge $$$ industry. If the owners writing the checks think they are worth it, then they generally are worth it.

LOL. In spring training the established players sit out if last night's taco salad gave them gas. But go ahead and panic if you want.

Can you name one team in any sport where health is not a concern?
That kind of arrogant response and attitude may work for guys like 14Red but I aint gonna let you talk down to me, guy. Health is a concern for all teams, but my point being the Reds have MULTIPLE players, both pitchers and position players who have a long history of health issues. Having a track record of issues and also having a historically bad pitching staff over the last few years is where im going with it.
Old 02-22-19, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
That kind of arrogant response and attitude may work for guys like 14Red but I aint gonna let you talk down to me, guy. Health is a concern for all teams, but my point being the Reds have MULTIPLE players, both pitchers and position players who have a long history of health issues. Having a track record of issues and also having a historically bad pitching staff over the last few years is where im going with it.
I think the health of this team is a very valid issue. Sometimes wolf can be a snot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: