Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-03-18, 07:22 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Colin Kaepernick featured in Nike's 30th anniversary 'Just Do It' campaign

Quote:
Colin Kaepernick will be one of the athletes featured by Nike as the athletic apparel company marks its 30th anniversary of the famous "Just Do It" ad campaign.

The former 49ers quarterback on Monday tweeted an image from the campaign, saying: "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything."

The message is certainly fitting to Kaepernick's story. During a preseason game in 2016, he decided not to stand for the national anthem to protest racial injustice. Other athletes later joined in his protest, sparking a controversy that has been linked to declining television ratings for National Football League games.
Read more:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/03/coli...-campaign.html
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-18, 07:30 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Not a great thing to do for most. Give up everything?
Old 09-03-18, 08:55 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Yes, but the giving up everything has to be done publicly if one plans to cash in on it.

Call it, oh, something somewhat less than a magnificent obsession.
Old 09-03-18, 09:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Just curious about Nike doing this. Their major opposition for social issues seems to be for using sweatshops. Now this advertisement seems to be targeting a similar liberal customer base that supports Kaepernick.

Not sure how this plays out but it will be interesting to watch. With the way politics are anymore, you never know what each side is willing to accept from the people that they identify with. I wonder if Kaepernick will "risk it all" to take a stand against Nike's labor history?
Old 09-03-18, 11:29 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the Nike sweatshop thing still an issue? I know it was a thing in the 90's, but I don't know that it still is.

I'm sure they still use comparatively cheaper labor overseas, but that isn't the same as a "sweatshop."
Old 09-04-18, 12:07 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Just curious about Nike doing this. Their major opposition for social issues seems to be for using sweatshops. Now this advertisement seems to be targeting a similar liberal customer base that supports Kaepernick.

Not sure how this plays out but it will be interesting to watch. With the way politics are anymore, you never know what each side is willing to accept from the people that they identify with. I wonder if Kaepernick will "risk it all" to take a stand against Nike's labor history?
I don’t know. It’s pretty funny to watch Republicans cut up Nike stuff they paid for pretending to be outraged by Nike’s politics..but not care about their labor history
Old 09-04-18, 03:55 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Of course they don't care about that. Labor costs and getting rid of any regulations is about profit which is the most important thing to them.

Republicans and Trump being al about keeping jobs here in America is as big a lie as any other. Trump corp. loved getting Russian cash and having their mediocre crap made in Chiiiiinaaaaaaa. Trump properties of course have used Mexican seasonal workers but now wants the Farms in California to have to do without them causing massive labor shortages.

Con man gas always been an apt term for this guy. Mitt Romney nailed that one
Old 09-04-18, 06:09 AM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Guys like CHS wear one pair of crocs for 5 years so a boycott will have little impact on sales. They figure they can position the brand on the right side of history and give it some street cred.
Old 09-04-18, 06:12 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Happy to see CK finally get a job that he'll be good at.
Old 09-04-18, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Had Nike as a customer for a while, visited their campus in Oregon and got to shop in the employee store as a perk about 25 years ago. That was the last time I bought Nike stuff. I prefer Rockports.
Old 09-04-18, 07:49 AM
All Region

Killer Joe is on a distinguished road
Well it just got the approval of the ex-Iranian President. Seems to be a hit with the anti-US crowd.
Old 09-04-18, 07:56 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I will not find it hard to protest Nike by not buying their products. The problem is I have not and don't buy Nike so my not buying will have no effect on their bottom line. The only thing is if they were hoping I would be a customer in the future they will no doubt be disappointed. They have been add to the list along with Target and a few others
Old 09-04-18, 07:59 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I suspect that this will be a hit with the Nike crowd and is probably a good business move on their part.

On the one hand they can recapture some of that edginess that can be used to distract consumers from grossly overpaying for their footwear. As an added bonus siding with Kap takes the spot light off the working conditions in some of Nike's overseas manufacturing hot spots.

Spencer's gifts should consider signing Kap. it might revitalize America's dying malls.
Old 09-04-18, 08:13 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
If you were a poor kid would you rather eat and have a crappy sweaty job or have political sanctions placed on the company you work for and not have to work the job but not eat as well?

As for Nike and signing up an anti American spokesman, guess they are not looking to expand the brand my direction. Honoring the kneelers is far more egregious than kneeling in the first place.
Old 09-04-18, 08:43 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
What exactly did CK give up? He was out of work?
Old 09-04-18, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
What exactly did CK give up? He was out of work?
He is out of work because he chose to take a stand to protest what he felt was instance of police brutality impacting the black community.

So yes he gave up millions that he would otherwise be making as a QB (starter or backup) in the NFL.

You can disagree with his stances, and the actions he took, but it is silly to act as if he has not made sacrifices.
Old 09-04-18, 09:44 AM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
He is out of work because he chose to take a stand to protest what he felt was instance of police brutality impacting the black community.

So yes he gave up millions that he would otherwise be making as a QB (starter or backup) in the NFL.

You can disagree with his stances, and the actions he took, but it is silly to act as if he has not made sacrifices.
It also didn't help when the Ravens wanted to look at him, his girlfriend compared Ray Lewis and Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti to characters played by Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained.
Old 09-04-18, 10:13 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I have one pair of Nike shoes. They will have to go to the back of the closet for awhile.
Old 09-04-18, 10:27 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Guys like CHS wear one pair of crocs for 5 years so a boycott will have little impact on sales.
I have seven pairs of sandals. One is a pair of Crocs flip-flops, in DRT camouflage. They are very comfortable.

I wear the Teva and Merrill the most, the Rockport and Keen not so much. The Cabela's flip-flops hardly ever, and the Under Armor slides in the locker room or campground shower.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by chs1971; 09-04-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 10:42 AM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I have seven pairs of sandals. One is a pair of Crocs flip-flops, in DRT camouflage. They are very comfortable.

I wear the Teva and Merrill the most, the Rockport and Keen not so much. The Cabela's flip-flops hardly ever, and the Under Armor slides in the locker room or campground shower.

I hope this helps.
HaHa - good stuff. Well done!
Old 09-04-18, 11:01 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Where the hell is vamps? Once again, in the wrong thread.
Old 09-04-18, 11:16 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I've been buying New Balance model 623 or 624 for the past several years. Yesterday I just kicked it up a notch by scoring their 860v8 model. The arch and heel sport in this one is incredible, and I'm hoping I don't have to burn them until they wear out in 2 or 3 years.
Old 09-04-18, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Nike seems to be taking a financial hit over this, and they seem to think it's worth it. I guess that's where we are today, corporations fearing the social justice mob more than financial losses.
Old 09-04-18, 11:29 AM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Not sure what Nike was thinking with this ad, but they're stock has already dropped a few points this morning. Plenty of conservative folks in this country who don't want this crammed down their throat, and will simply buy other shoes for themselves and their kids.
Old 09-04-18, 11:44 AM
All Region

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
I'm a 62 year old registered Republican who has never bought a Nike product.

I think (and have always thought) they are a scum company with extremely overpriced products.

A company with no integrity or morals using a jerk with no integrity or morals - seems a perfect fit.
Old 09-04-18, 12:52 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone that is swearing off Nike and looking to cut up or burn their clothes, can you please donate them to a shelter that helps vets in need? The least you could do it make it look like you actually care about the people you are crying over. That’s all I ask...to do some good for people that need it.
Old 09-04-18, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
He seems to be performing better as a sports personality then as an NFL quarterback. Maybe he has found his niche ?

You know, Harbaugh is stinking it up at Michigan. Kaepernick is now a goof character. Neither one has really had much success since they parted. Maybe they need to get together again ?
Old 09-04-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Let's be honest here, compared to Pat Tillman, CK hasn't even been mildly inconvenienced by his stance.
Old 09-04-18, 01:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

BTW I saw a great meme on this, showing some Vietnamese women making Nike shoes for 20 cents an hour so Nike can pay CK millions to lecture people about "social justice"......
Old 09-04-18, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Of course they don't care about that. Labor costs and getting rid of any regulations is about profit which is the most important thing to them.

Republicans and Trump being al about keeping jobs here in America is as big a lie as any other. Trump corp. loved getting Russian cash and having their mediocre crap made in Chiiiiinaaaaaaa. Trump properties of course have used Mexican seasonal workers but now wants the Farms in California to have to do without them causing massive labor shortages.

Con man gas always been an apt term for this guy. Mitt Romney nailed that one
Bill Clinton gladly signed GHWBush’s NAFTA, and granted Communist China Most Favored Nation trading status, after decades of the US refusing to do business with them. Do you think that had anything to do with Hugh Rodham’s little girl being Walmart’s former attorney ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: