Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-18, 08:54 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
CW is what every school should be modeling their program after.
What keep firing coaches till a school finds a good one. I suppose you are right, it worked for Coldwater and it worked for Marion Local.
Old 02-23-18, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLWarrior View Post
Well, when you are the worst team in the league nearly every year, it is not a very attractive job. If Wellman resigned after the end of the season, there would be more attractive candidates in November and December than now. About every Parkway coach who quit has waited several months or the beginning of summer to announce their resignation. They need a coach who will stay for the long haul to develop a program.
The only thing going for Parkway is the MAC. If some young up and coming coach wanted to prove his worth by completing with some of the states best, this is a possibility. I am surprised none of the assistant coaches from successful area schools would strike out on their own to show what they could do. Even a head coach from a smaller school in a weak league could want the challenge. I guess if you are all ready successful, why bust your a** to start from scratch when you can stay where you are at and not have to work as hard.
In other words, if his was Coldwater, Marion Local, Minister or even Ft. Recovery, there would be hundreds of candidates. With Parkway, they end up scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Very few HS coaches are in it for the advancement and most are content in their successful asst roles. I'd say many have kids in the system, soon to have kids in the system, or had kids play at the school and they are coaching out of fun. It isn't like college or nfl where many assts are looking to advance and hs coaches aren't in it for the money.

Cold water got lucky bsck in the mid 90s. I forget how Goodwin ended in msml.

It's going to be tough for parkway..no doubt. I think if they start winning a coach may stay. Their past few that quit this late do a team a disservice
Old 03-03-18, 08:16 AM
All District

thereckoning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Very few HS coaches are in it for the advancement and most are content in their successful asst roles. I'd say many have kids in the system, soon to have kids in the system, or had kids play at the school and they are coaching out of fun. It isn't like college or nfl where many assts are looking to advance and hs coaches aren't in it for the money.

Cold water got lucky bsck in the mid 90s. I forget how Goodwin ended in msml.

It's going to be tough for parkway..no doubt. I think if they start winning a coach may stay. Their past few that quit this late do a team a disservice
In order for parkway to be successful, they need to model their youth program after their youth baseball program. So much time and effort being poured into baseball and even basketball (weekly youth paid open gym games), that much of the football intrigue isn’t there. It starts with community support. They will get a coach. And once they find some youth coaches to keep kids from playing “fall ball baseball” and getting them in the weight room and practice field, they will be fine. It’s just not sexy to play parkway football because of their non-success in many years.
Old 03-03-18, 11:21 AM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereckoning View Post
In order for parkway to be successful, they need to model their youth program after their youth baseball program. So much time and effort being poured into baseball and even basketball (weekly youth paid open gym games), that much of the football intrigue isn’t there. It starts with community support. They will get a coach. And once they find some youth coaches to keep kids from playing “fall ball baseball” and getting them in the weight room and practice field, they will be fine. It’s just not sexy to play parkway football because of their non-success in many years.
Why do they have youth football in the first place? Hopefully they can find a good coach.

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 03-04-18 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 10:13 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Why do they have youth football in the first place? Hopefully they can find a good coach.
Most Ohio schools have youth football in some fashion. Many of the MAC schools are the last ones holding out. I would say it has worked very well for the MAC. However, in the day and age we live in with kids not willing to put in the work and would rather play video games, it is a matter of time before MAC schools won't have seniors holding daily summer practices and a multitude of other factors such as systematic junior high coaches etc. that contribute to success will fall by the wayside. Not saying the MAC is going anywhere or going to be bad. They are still the premier league in Ohio football. But, youth sports contribute to success in nearly every sport imaginable.
Old 03-05-18, 06:46 PM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most Ohio schools have youth football in some fashion. Many of the MAC schools are the last ones holding out. I would say it has worked very well for the MAC. However, in the day and age we live in with kids not willing to put in the work and would rather play video games, it is a matter of time before MAC schools won't have seniors holding daily summer practices and a multitude of other factors such as systematic junior high coaches etc. that contribute to success will fall by the wayside. Not saying the MAC is going anywhere or going to be bad. They are still the premier league in Ohio football. But, youth sports contribute to success in nearly every sport imaginable.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 90% of those players that help with youth camps still play video games on the regular.
Old 03-06-18, 09:35 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 90% of those players that help with youth camps still play video games on the regular.
You may be correct. Not starting an argument at all. The dedicated players that I know, are not video game fanatics, though. However, i was talking about the players holding actual daily practices during the summer and Jr High coaches buying into a systematic coaching style. It will eventually come to an end in the world we live in. Kids and adults alike will eventually become less dedicated.

As far as youth football goes, I will point to google. Google search Ohio youth football and you will find leagues in every nook and cranny in Ohio. Most of your Buckeyes/Falcons/Bobcats/Rockets etc. played some sort of youth football. It starts young. The five or six MAC schools that are still without youth football are in the minority. Probably 90% of Ohio has youth programs. But, as stated, its working for the MAC right now. A great system is in place. A monster conference.

The original point was that Parkway has youth football. Would love to see the community rally around football, just as they do with basketball and baseball/softball. That's all!
Old 03-06-18, 10:39 AM
All District

Weiskittle is on a distinguished road
Youth football runs kids off. It's a simple game that comes down to who blocks and tackle better.

I wish more programs would cancel youth football. 7th grade is soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-18, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble but it isn't like pw baseball and hoops have been tearing it up.
They need a strong hs coach who builds a good JH football staff.
2 of the most successful teams, just miles from pw, don't have it so don't think pw football needs youth.
Wonder why coldwater gets huge numbers in 7th? 2 fold.....1 the varsity wins and 2....kids are chomping at the bit to play a new sport and aren't burned out on the game yet.

As for youth sports.....baseball I'll say. If all these travel and select and premier etc teams are so great then why arearen't I seeing an increase in HS baseball talent? I'm not seeing HS baseball as any better. Kidsare stronger and bigger may times but the skill of baseball has not followed suit.
Old 03-06-18, 01:21 PM
Junior Varsity

OCLWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble but it isn't like pw baseball and hoops have been tearing it up.
2 of the most successful teams, just miles from pw, don't have it so don't think pw football needs youth.
Wonder why coldwater gets huge numbers in 7th? 2 fold.....1 the varsity wins and 2....kids are chomping at the bit to play a new sport and aren't burned out on the game yet.

As for youth sports.....baseball I'll say. If all these travel and select and premier etc teams are so great then why arearen't I seeing an increase in HS baseball talent? I'm not seeing HS baseball as any better. Kidsare stronger and bigger may times but the skill of baseball has not followed suit.
Tell the Coldwater head basketball and baseball coaches to dismantle all the elementary sports programs and have all the kids start playing their sports in the 7th grade. If this is such a great idea, they will buy into it right away. Most likely they will look at you like you are the worlds biggest fool.
Old 03-06-18, 02:17 PM
All American

Quote:
You may be correct. Not starting an argument at all. The dedicated players that I know, are not video game fanatics, though. However, i was talking about the players holding actual daily practices during the summer and Jr High coaches buying into a systematic coaching style. It will eventually come to an end in the world we live in. Kids and adults alike will eventually become less dedicated.

As far as youth football goes, I will point to google. Google search Ohio youth football and you will find leagues in every nook and cranny in Ohio. Most of your Buckeyes/Falcons/Bobcats/Rockets etc. played some sort of youth football. It starts young. The five or six MAC schools that are still without youth football are in the minority. Probably 90% of Ohio has youth programs. But, as stated, its working for the MAC right now. A great system is in place. A monster conference.

The original point was that Parkway has youth football. Would love to see the community rally around football, just as they do with basketball and baseball/softball. That's all!
Youth football is not important at all, at the H.S. school level it is all about coaching, coaching, and coaching and a little bit of talent.
Old 03-06-18, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiskittle View Post
It's a simple game that comes down to who blocks and tackle better.

Agreed.
Old 03-06-18, 02:33 PM
All American

DSJ and PW are the only 2 MAC schools that have pee-wee football. Yet I read from other posters how fundamentally sound MAC teams are, so why would their be any need for pee-wee football.
Old 03-06-18, 02:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Agreed.
I agree that those are the basic essentials for football, but it will not make a winning team unless you have kids who can run, catch and hang onto the ball or a quarterback who can throw to his intended target.
Old 03-06-18, 03:05 PM
All District

Weiskittle is on a distinguished road
All youth football teaches you is physicality in the kids that grew fast, and which kid is the big fast one that nobody can touch and whole is probably close to being done growing.

Also how many time do youth teams pass? Maybe a screen or fade to the big fast kid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-18, 03:26 PM
All District

Quote:

Last time I checked, PW has had teams on the boys and girls side going undefeated in the 7th - Freshman ranks in basketball. Tearing it up. A few "down years" on the varsity level doesn't negate the fact that they have started a strong tradition of Sunday youth basketball in their gyms the past five years and have now built up a fantastic parks facility for their baseball and softball clubs who have traditionally been very very stout.

As for youth football....it is no more on the decline than national averages of HS football being on the decline. You are correct that culture is a major part of what makes the Coldwaters so great. However, back to the main point....pw needs to build up its youth program in football just as it has in basketball and base(soft)ball. Whether you agree that youth football is good for kids is besides the point. It has proven effective in many communities and with most major college athletes that are playing football at the next level. But what has proven effective for PW is the community support of its youth programs.
Old 03-06-18, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tell the Coldwater head basketball and baseball coaches to dismantle all the elementary sports programs and have all the kids start playing their sports in the 7th grade. If this is such a great idea, they will buy into it right away. Most likely they will look at you like you are the worlds biggest fool.
The horse has left the barn.
One major difference between those sports is that in baseball and basketball the skill sets are more interchangeable from position to position so when kids grow and mature into their bodies and skill sets they easily move spots.
Plus......everyone gets to do the "cool and fun" stuff in those two sports. I've known regular sides kids get stuck on the lines and hate it in youth football as only a select few get to touch the ball.

Plus I'm not sure kids bodies are ready for the physical nature of football at such a young age
Old 03-06-18, 04:55 PM
All American

Quote:
I agree that those are the basic essentials for football, but it will not make a winning team unless you have kids who can run, catch and hang onto the ball or a quarterback who can throw to his intended target.
In the play - offs a big difference between the MAC schools and other teams is the ability to throw the football. MAC teams have an actual passing game and these schools that the MAC play in the play - offs ( that have pee - wee football ) usually have a very poor passing attack and have no clue how to defend the pass.
Old 03-06-18, 05:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Last time I checked, PW has had teams on the boys and girls side going undefeated in the 7th - Freshman ranks in basketball. Tearing it up. A few "down years" on the varsity level doesn't negate the fact that they have started a strong tradition of Sunday youth basketball in their gyms the past five years and have now built up a fantastic parks facility for their baseball and softball clubs who have traditionally been very very stout.

As for youth football....it is no more on the decline than national averages of HS football being on the decline. You are correct that culture is a major part of what makes the Coldwaters so great. However, back to the main point....pw needs to build up its youth program in football just as it has in basketball and base(soft)ball. Whether you agree that youth football is good for kids is besides the point. It has proven effective in many communities and with most major college athletes that are playing football at the next level. But what has proven effective for PW is the community support of its youth programs.
The Rockford Rec. Assn. also sponsors flag football in the fall so not all the boys who want to play football play pee wee. There are 9 baseball/softball fields in Rockford, 4 in Willshire and at least 2 in Mendon. The school has five potential basketball courts. The community has built the facilities to support youth sports. There are p!ans to add more fields at the park. Like you, I am mystified on the success at the youth level does not translate at the high school level.
Old 03-06-18, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In the play - offs a big difference between the MAC schools and other teams is the ability to throw the football. MAC teams have an actual passing game and these schools that the MAC play in the play - offs ( that have pee - wee football ) usually have a very poor passing attack and have no clue how to defend the pass.
I agree with that......it's amazing how poor many teams throw the football come playoff time for the most part. It always sets them apart it seems
Old 03-06-18, 06:23 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Delphos has had midget (youth) football for 40+ years. Despite having this huge disadvantage and burned out kids and kids run off, DSJ has done OK.

Most of the MAC teams key to success in any sport is good coaches and a consistent supply of tremendous athletes.
Old 03-06-18, 06:44 PM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to see the % of high school boys playing football per each school in the MAC and see if there is any noticeable difference between the midget playing schools and the rest.
Old 03-06-18, 07:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Delphos has had midget (youth) football for 40+ years. Despite having this huge disadvantage and burned out kids and kids run off, DSJ has done OK.

Most of the MAC teams key to success in any sport is good coaches and a consistent supply of tremendous athletes.
I don' t think it is an advantage or disadvantage just do not need it to be successful. My biggest " complaint " about pee - wee football is that parents make such a big deal about it. I work in Lima and parents talk more about pee - wee football than they do H.S. football. Unfortunately like most youth sports the coaches worry more about winning than playing players at multiple positions and coaching fundamentals.
Old 03-06-18, 09:47 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don' t think it is an advantage or disadvantage just do not need it to be successful. My biggest " complaint " about pee - wee football is that parents make such a big deal about it. I work in Lima and parents talk more about pee - wee football than they do H.S. football. Unfortunately like most youth sports the coaches worry more about winning than playing players at multiple positions and coaching fundamentals.
In the past few years Delphos had a midget coach retire after coaching 30+ years. We've been blessed with coaches who teach fundamentals and teach football. Midget football might not be an advantage but it also is not a disadvantage.

Young parents with young kids experiencing their first sporting inclusion all tend to talk a lot about their kid and their team. It settles down as the kid moves into higher levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
It would be interesting to see the % of high school boys playing football per each school in the MAC and see if there is any noticeable difference between the midget playing schools and the rest.
That will tell you nothing. There are only two teams, one very successful and one not. Winning has more to do with numbers playing than anything else.
Old 03-07-18, 08:02 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Winning has more to do with numbers playing than anything else.
I would argue the numbers playing has more to do with recent winning.
Old 03-07-18, 08:51 AM
All District

Quote:
In the past few years Delphos had a midget coach retire after coaching 30+ years. We've been blessed with coaches who teach fundamentals and teach football. Midget football might not be an advantage but it also is not a disadvantage.

Young parents with young kids experiencing their first sporting inclusion all tend to talk a lot about their kid and their team. It settles down as the kid moves into higher levels.

That will tell you nothing. There are only two teams, one very successful and one not. Winning has more to do with numbers playing than anything else.
Couldn't agree more. It depends on the midget coaches, but in my experience, kids are learning, on average, two positions (one offense and one defense) and sometimes multiple positions on each side of the ball. However, I find it an advantage (with the proper coach) to have midget because they are learning plays. By the time you hit the Jr. High level, you know what an "A gap" is or a swim technique or a read option, etc. The value of learning anything at a young age is tremendous.

That said, many are posting about numbers. Let's face it. The numbers at MAC schools are tremendous. Being able to rotate fresh and capable bodies wears opponents out. MAC schools have great success in making football a way of life and making most any kid an asset to the team. A credit to the coaching systems and a credit to the kids putting in effort all summer long without coaching.

BUT, here is to hoping PW is going to find a coach to put that system in place and help his program from the youth level up.
Old 03-07-18, 09:33 AM
All American

Quote:
A credit to the coaching systems and a credit to the kids putting in effort all summer long without coaching..

Don't know how it is at other MAC schools but @ Marion Local many of the football players are in basketball camps or playing ACME in the summer, very few doing anything with football other than maybe weightlifting. That is my whole point football is a sport other than QB or Kicking if you have a good coach you show up for 2 a days and that is about it except maybe for any conditioning kids do on their own but kids do that for all sports. Pee -wee football is totally unnecessary, MAC schools have proven that.
Old 03-07-18, 10:03 AM
All District

Quote:
Don't know how it is at other MAC schools but @ Marion Local many of the football players are in basketball camps or playing ACME in the summer, very few doing anything with football other than maybe weightlifting. That is my whole point football is a sport other than QB or Kicking if you have a good coach you show up for 2 a days and that is about it except maybe for any conditioning kids do on their own but kids do that for all sports. Pee -wee football is totally unnecessary, MAC schools have proven that.
I can agree to disagree. Coldwater seniors are out leading practice every morning on the practice fields in the summer from 6ish to 9ish. Its putting in work.

I believe DSJ has proven that pee-wee can be successful and carried the MAC for awhile in titles. So has Trotwood, Mentor, and every other traditional powerhouse outside of the MAC. I believe MAC schools are the exception to the rule if we are looking at the big picture. This is truly due to hard work and great coaching.

However....I will throw this out. How many kids go to Celina to play youth or play in flag football leagues? Its still there. Just a different level.
Old 03-07-18, 10:45 AM
All American

Quote:
I can agree to disagree. Coldwater seniors are out leading practice every morning on the practice fields in the summer from 6ish to 9ish. Its putting in work.

I believe DSJ has proven that pee-wee can be successful and carried the MAC for awhile in titles. So has Trotwood, Mentor, and every other traditional powerhouse outside of the MAC. I believe MAC schools are the exception to the rule if we are looking at the big picture. This is truly due to hard work and great coaching.

However....I will throw this out. How many kids go to Celina to play youth or play in flag football leagues? Its still there. Just a different level.
I would say those schools would be successful whether they had pee-wee football or not. It is not that difficult to learn how to block and tackle it is all about being coached correctly. It is all about the H.S. coach.
Old 03-07-18, 11:16 AM
All District

Quote:
I would say those schools would be successful whether they had pee-wee football or not. It is not that difficult to learn how to block and tackle it is all about being coached correctly. It is all about the H.S. coach.
No problem with this opinion. If the coaches and system is in place, you have a valid point. But, again, the MAC is the exception to the rule. Pee-wee football and the knowledge kids gain from it is something I believe is also invaluable. My opinion. Your knowledge can only grow from the first day you are taught, whether it be 7th grade or 3rd grade. And kids get entrenched in it in many of the long standing and dominant programs in the nation from elementary school on.

Regardless, good talk! I can respect not playing pee-wee. It is a tough enough game to put your body through for 6 years, let alone 8-10 (and beyond).

Good luck to PW on the coaching search. For their sake, and having pee-wee, I hope the coach starts building the program from the bottom up.