Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-18, 05:37 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Look who's on the list of most overrated NFL prospects: Baker.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Great college QB, low NFL ceiling.

Better to elevate him now, so he has time to slip. I hope.

I see him as just a fierier Colt McCoy 2.0 - the guy whose records he broke. Big 12 completion % is fool's gold.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-18, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Great college QB, low NFL ceiling.

Better to elevate him now, so he has time to slip. I hope.

I see him as just a fierier Colt McCoy 2.0 - the guy whose records he broke. Big 12 completion % is fool's gold.
I heard this guy on 92.3 this morning singing the praises of Mayfield. I don't know that I'm buying it, but some interesting info. I think having Kessler's junior season in the mix doesn't exactly bolster his credibility.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...1-overall-pick
Old 02-13-18, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Yeah, Mayfield is a wildcard for sure.
Old 02-13-18, 03:58 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
MMQB Big Board Comments on Mayfield-
18. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
Thereís a reason few 6-foot quarterbacks make it in the NFL, and the fact that heís coming from an Air Raid offense is a second strike against Mayfield. Still, he was adept at finding throwing lanes at the collegiate level. Heís an anticipatory passer, which will make up for whatís ordinary arm strength for an NFL starter. An offensive coordinator might have to get a bit creative (and you wonder how heíll handle a more aggressive media throng at the NFL level if the likes of Lee Corso can get under his skin), but with a strong interior line in a timing-based offense, thereís no reason Mayfield canít have success in the NFL.
Old 02-13-18, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
MMQB Big Board Comments on Mayfield-
18. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
Thereís a reason few 6-foot quarterbacks make it in the NFL, and the fact that heís coming from an Air Raid offense is a second strike against Mayfield. Still, he was adept at finding throwing lanes at the collegiate level. Heís an anticipatory passer, which will make up for whatís ordinary arm strength for an NFL starter. An offensive coordinator might have to get a bit creative (and you wonder how heíll handle a more aggressive media throng at the NFL level if the likes of Lee Corso can get under his skin), but with a strong interior line in a timing-based offense, thereís no reason Mayfield canít have success in the NFL.
I didn't know John Gruden was a free lance writer for MMQB.

What did the next paragraph say? Did they address the maturity issues? Does he have the temperament to spend a couple of seasons, at least, holding a clip board? Out of the four top quarterbacks, I believe its folly to consider him anything but the 4th-best of the group. OK...maybe on a good day, he's a shade better than Allen. I just can't see the Browns using their one of their two picks on this guy.
Old 02-13-18, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
I didn't know John Gruden was a free lance writer for MMQB.

What did the next paragraph say? Did they address the maturity issues? Does he have the temperament to spend a couple of seasons, at least, holding a clip board? Out of the four top quarterbacks, I believe its folly to consider him anything but the 4th-best of the group. OK...maybe on a good day, he's a shade better than Allen. I just can't see the Browns using their one of their two picks on this guy.
That's the entire blurb. Make sure to take a look at the Pro Football Focus article I linked up higher on the page. That guy's realllllllllly in love with old Baker.

The number one player on the MMQB Big Board is Barkley.

The shame of whole deal for the Browns is that there's really no clear frontrunner in this QB race. Figures.
Old 02-14-18, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
Look who's on the list of most overrated NFL prospects: Baker.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
His head won't fit in a NFL helmet for sure.
Old 02-15-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Looks like there could be a decision on the McCarron grievance today. If he's declared a UFA, I'm not sure what kind of money he might require. I'd guess he get more than Mike Glennon ($15M) got from Chicago. If he's an RFA, odds are Cinci puts a 2nd round tender on him, leaving the Browns to decide whether he's worthy of the 1st pick of the second round.
Old 02-15-18, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Looks like there could be a decision on the McCarron grievance today. If he's declared a UFA, I'm not sure what kind of money he might require. I'd guess he get more than Mike Glennon ($15M) got from Chicago. If he's an RFA, odds are Cinci puts a 2nd round tender on him, leaving the Browns to decide whether he's worthy of the 1st pick of the second round.
no way
Old 02-15-18, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't understand the fascination with Mccarron myself...he was a 5th round pick who sucked at Bama and hasn't done anything to disprove it in the NFL. If that's the best the Browns can do keep running Kizer out there.
Old 02-15-18, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
no way
Yeah, that is nuts. I could see a solid signing bonus and heavy up front with the guaranteed money, but I'd be shocked if he was paid that highly unless it was via something highly performance incentivized.
Old 02-15-18, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Don't understand the fascination with Mccarron myself...he was a 5th round pick who sucked at Bama and hasn't done anything to disprove it in the NFL. If that's the best the Browns can do keep running Kizer out there.
Hue vs Dorsey, Highsmith, McCloughan, and Haley.......

I'm guessing that $15m/yr doesn't slide away for AJ too easily.
Old 02-15-18, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
no way
We'll see...the QB market is nuts.
Old 02-15-18, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Amen. He hasn't been able to beat out the most average QB in the NFL.
Old 02-16-18, 06:54 AM
All Yappi

None of the Minn QBs are under contract. I'd prefer all of them over McCarron, assuming Bridgewater and Stafford are both healed up.

Haley has plainly stated that he fits an offense to the personnel. His "system" has everything on the table. That said, maybe a bridge QB should be similar to the QB that they draft, so that there is greater continuity for the rest of the team ?
Old 02-16-18, 06:56 AM
All Yappi

Mike Mayock not drinking the Mayfield koolaid.
Old 02-16-18, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Amen. He hasn't been able to beat out the most average QB in the NFL.
You really have the whole spectrum in the division at the position....a HOFer in Pittsburgh, average/mediocre QBs in Flacco/Dalton and the dumpster fire that is the Browns QB situation.
Old 02-16-18, 04:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You really have the whole spectrum in the division at the position....a HOFer in Pittsburgh, average/mediocre QBs in Flacco/Dalton and the dumpster fire that is the Browns QB situation.
The sad thing is that those average guys are far superior to anything the Browns have had since their return.
Old 02-17-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
None of the Minn QBs are under contract. I'd prefer all of them over McCarron, assuming Bridgewater and Stafford are both healed up.

Haley has plainly stated that he fits an offense to the personnel. His "system" has everything on the table. That said, maybe a bridge QB should be similar to the QB that they draft, so that there is greater continuity for the rest of the team ?
I think Bridgewater would be BIG help for Kizer,that's if the new guy has any plans in the future for him.
Old 02-17-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I think Bridgewater would be BIG help for Kizer,that's if the new guy has any plans in the future for him.
I'm thinking it's too early to quit on Kizer completely, but that his past year of many ugly reps has earned him "insurance policy" status at best.

Bridgewater likely is looking to restart his stillborn career that never really was. He might make a good bridge and example but may not be too enthused about mentoring a younger QB. He may also have 6 or 7 pretty good years in him.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 02-17-18 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-17-18, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Here are some vets that could be cut to clear cap, making them potential FA signings for the Browns.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/14/1...-casualty-cuts

Traditionally, this is how the Clowns get ripped off by guys looking for one more set of paychecks, but maybe some of these guys are of higher character and just want to play and give back close to 100% for that check ? The Browns could offer contracts with high escalators for performance. They have the cap room to pay up.

Browns could rent another experienced lineman or two with all the cap room. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fl-free-agency

Rookie salary rules really make the rebuild process a little easier than it would have been a few years back.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 02-17-18 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-17-18, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

I think the Vikings are most likely to attempt to keep Bridgewater and not Keenum or Bradford. At this juncture, with the limited time he has played, I think he still qualifies as "promising but unproven." He's certainly preferable to much of the dog$h!+ that will be available.

Obviously, Cousins is the class of the group. I'm curious how you guys would rank Bridgewater, McCarron, Tyrod Taylor, Keenum, Bradford, Savage, McCown, etc.
Old 02-17-18, 04:51 PM
All Yappi

McCarron certainly has to be below all but Tom Savage on that list. He's actually done very little to date.

I agree that the Vikes are unlikely to quit on Bridgewater at this point. They won't be drafting highly. If they don't sign Cousins or trade way up, and Bridgewater isn't making crazy contract demands, I'd say a pass on him by those that know him best likely means they don't think he can stay healthy or that he has been significantly diminished by his injuries.
Old 02-17-18, 06:00 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Assuming the Browns are planning to draft a QB with at least one of their 1st round picks ... what are we really talking about ... a QB to play maybe 8 games or 10 to 12 at most ... then be a backup ... McCarren would be fine for that role ... I know what you are going to say ... they should keep the rookie on the bench the entire year ... that is the plan, but that never happens ... I think the last time that happened was Carson Palmer, 15 years ago ... teams says they are going to sit top picks, but they rarely do.
Old 02-17-18, 06:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Assuming the Browns are planning to draft a QB with at least one of their 1st round picks ... what are we really talking about ... a QB to play maybe 8 games or 10 to 12 at most ... then be a backup ... McCarren would be fine for that role ... I know what you are going to say ... they should keep the rookie on the bench the entire year ... that is the plan, but that never happens ... I think the last time that happened was Carson Palmer, 15 years ago ... teams says they are going to sit top picks, but they rarely do.
Reincarnation of Gary Danielson?
Old 02-17-18, 06:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Reincarnation of Gary Danielson?
If it was me, I would make a run at Josh McCown ... great mentor QB ... should have done this last year.
Old 02-17-18, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If it was me, I would make a run at Josh McCown ... great mentor QB ... should have done this last year.
Yep, with an agreement that he comes on staff after the year.
Old 02-18-18, 07:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Yep, with an agreement that he comes on staff after the year.
Josh McCown will be a head coach in the NFL at some point.
Old 02-18-18, 12:50 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I doubt Aj Mc would be ok with that. He is looking for a starting job for a team that is solidly behind him. If it's a possibility that Cleveland may pick a qb with their 1st or 2nd Rd pick. Expect Aj to only sign a short term contract at a hefty price.
Old 02-18-18, 12:53 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Aj Mc is probably the best free agent qb pick out there.