Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-07-17, 08:18 PM
All District

LE Hawks is on a distinguished road
Semi scores

1-0 Liberty w 18 left in game.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-17, 08:34 PM
All District

Loveland w nine in the box corner and score to save the game at 3:42. Tied up 1-1
Old 11-07-17, 08:37 PM
All District

Overtime
Old 11-07-17, 08:56 PM
All District

2-1 Loveland w 1:17 left on first OT
Old 11-07-17, 09:04 PM
All Region

Cougar Nation is on a distinguished road
Div. II

Lake Catholic 1
Marlington 0
Old 11-07-17, 09:16 PM
All District

outsideobserver11 is on a distinguished road
Loveland-Liberty was fun to watch. #25 on the wing for Loveland dominated that game.
Old 11-07-17, 09:19 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucknut3 is on a distinguished road
Summit 3
Grand view 1
Final
Old 11-07-17, 09:19 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideobserver11 View Post
Loveland-Liberty was fun to watch. #25 on the wing for Loveland dominated that game.
Did you like the Centerville soccer stadium?
Old 11-07-17, 09:21 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
D3
Summit 3, Grandview Heights 1
Kirtland 2, Liberty-Benton 1

D2
Indian Hill 3, Big Walnut 0 (that was at halftime)

D1
Perrysburg 1, Jackson 0 (1 ot)
Old 11-07-17, 09:22 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
IH wins 4-0.
Old 11-07-17, 09:25 PM
All District

outsideobserver11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
Did you like the Centerville soccer stadium?
Yes but Iím from up this way and there all the time, watched tonight as a casual fan. Would be interested in hearing throughts from Loveland/Liberty fans though.
Old 11-07-17, 09:33 PM
All District

Second matchup in this stadium for these two teams. Gonna guess Loveland will say it's nice. Liberty not so much..... Good game, both teams had chances and stuck to what got them there.
Old 11-07-17, 10:03 PM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Let’s see what I said 2 days ago...

“Loveland fights both games out for the title 1 goal wins both games.

IH rolls strong, 2-3 goal wins and will give up none in both games as they become State Champs!

Summit wins each game by 2 goals”

Hmm....someone knows his soccer.
Old 11-07-17, 10:25 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
good job cup you got all three state champs right
Old 11-07-17, 10:42 PM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Nation View Post
Div. II

Lake Catholic 1
Marlington 0
It was actually Madison Comprehensive. But who cares what a fantastic game. I hear Indian Hill is the real deal. Any given day...

Go Lady Cougars!
Old 11-07-17, 10:44 PM
All World

User13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
good job cup you got all three state champs right
The three state final games will be played on Nov 10. Tonight (Nov 7) was the semi-final round.
Old 11-07-17, 11:12 PM
Varsity

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideobserver11 View Post
Yes but Iím from up this way and there all the time, watched tonight as a casual fan. Would be interested in hearing throughts from Loveland/Liberty fans though.
I am a Loveland fan and here are my thoughts:

This site should not be used for tournament games.

1. There were hundreds of Loveland fans who had to stand to watch this game, including me. The seating was inadequate and OHSAA should examine how they assign home teams in State semis. When I complained to the site manager about the lack of seating on the Loveland side, he was rude and told me that we should have picked the upper bracket. I told him that he did not know what he was talking about and should learn how home teams are assigned at the State level, and he threatened to throw me out. I then shut up. Granted, Loveland travels well with many fans, but most of the Loveland fans had trouble seeing. I hate to be at field level but had no choice. There were many fans that went to the home side, but that really takes away from your experience when you have to sit with the opponent. GET SOME MORE SEATING if you want to host.

2. The fence so close to the field really impacted the game. Loveland could not use the flip throw, which has been a vital part of their game all season. Teams should not have to adjust to poor field design at this level in the tournament. In EVERY game this year it has not been an issue. Even if you argue that not many teams use the flip throw, many players take a run prior to the throw in. Why have this fence? It seems dangerous for the players. It is not like this is Argentina and the fans are going to rush the field!

3. The field seemed narrow. Not extremely so, but not proper soccer width.

4. I know at one point this stadium was the mecca of soccer in Dayton, because I coached in a tournament game there in the 90's and was in awe (at that point it had the nicest grass I had ever seen). But now, with almost every HS having turf fields, it is nothing special and the points above actually make it substandard.

5. We played at Bellbrook in the Regional semis and that field was much nicer from a fans point of view, along with almost every other stadium in Cinci.
Old 11-08-17, 08:22 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
You didn't have any thoughts about the game?
Old 11-08-17, 08:32 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
In pictures, the 10 yard hash from the corner is right at the edge of the box, making the field 64 yards wide. That's not really wide, but it's not "too narrow."

Beavercreek, for example, has the same hash 1 or 2 yards inside the box.
Old 11-08-17, 08:42 AM
Junior Varsity

HSfooty1977 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post

1. There were hundreds of Loveland fans who had to stand to watch this game, including me. The seating was inadequate and OHSAA should examine how they assign home teams in State semis. When I complained to the site manager about the lack of seating on the Loveland side, he was rude and told me that we should have picked the upper bracket. I told him that he did not know what he was talking about and should learn how home teams are assigned at the State level, and he threatened to throw me out. I then shut up. Granted, Loveland travels well with many fans, but most of the Loveland fans had trouble seeing. I hate to be at field level but had no choice. There were many fans that went to the home side, but that really takes away from your experience when you have to sit with the opponent. GET SOME MORE SEATING if you want to host.

2. The fence so close to the field really impacted the game. Loveland could not use the flip throw, which has been a vital part of their game all season. Teams should not have to adjust to poor field design at this level in the tournament. In EVERY game this year it has not been an issue. Even if you argue that not many teams use the flip throw, many players take a run prior to the throw in. Why have this fence? It seems dangerous for the players. It is not like this is Argentina and the fans are going to rush the field!

4. I know at one point this stadium was the mecca of soccer in Dayton, because I coached in a tournament game there in the 90's and was in awe (at that point it had the nicest grass I had ever seen). But now, with almost every HS having turf fields, it is nothing special and the points above actually make it substandard.

5. We played at Bellbrook in the Regional semis and that field was much nicer from a fans point of view, along with almost every other stadium in Cinci.
Soccerfan, I was at the match and agree with to a point. Unfortunately, the site manager of these neutral matches does not control who is home and who is away. After the 2nd round matches, once all matches are on neutral sites, it is based on whether you are the upper team or lower team in your bracket. Upper team is home and lower team is away, rank no longer matters. 2nd, state officials do not like using same complex multiple times for neutral matches, that is why Bellbrook was not an option and other Dayton fields that could hold that many fans were probably booked. As far as having the match in Cincy, probably not considered neutral at that point, if a cincy team played a Columbus team in Cincy.
The issue is at the state level, most teams that make it to state finals play, 6 or 7 matches on turf fields of comparable size, then you play at MAPFRE, the biggest GRASS field in Ohio. Never has and NEVER will make sense. IN 2015, when Loveland made it to finals, their fans traveled well, largest crowd ever for girls div. 1 final and the stadium was a 1/3 full.
There has to be a better location, not just for players, but for the fans.
Hope this helps soccerfan.
Old 11-08-17, 10:25 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfooty1977 View Post
Soccerfan, I was at the match and agree with to a point. Unfortunately, the site manager of these neutral matches does not control who is home and who is away. After the 2nd round matches, once all matches are on neutral sites, it is based on whether you are the upper team or lower team in your bracket. Upper team is home and lower team is away, rank no longer matters. 2nd, state officials do not like using same complex multiple times for neutral matches, that is why Bellbrook was not an option and other Dayton fields that could hold that many fans were probably booked. As far as having the match in Cincy, probably not considered neutral at that point, if a cincy team played a Columbus team in Cincy.
The issue is at the state level, most teams that make it to state finals play, 6 or 7 matches on turf fields of comparable size, then you play at MAPFRE, the biggest GRASS field in Ohio. Never has and NEVER will make sense. IN 2015, when Loveland made it to finals, their fans traveled well, largest crowd ever for girls div. 1 final and the stadium was a 1/3 full.
The only point that I'd like to make is about the flip throw, and there not being enough room to accommodate. There are a lot of soccer stadiums at the collegiate and pro level that do not have tracks around the pitch. In fact, the best soccer stadiums have the stands very close to the pitch, which reduces the possibility of doing a running flip throw.

So, teams should learn to reduce reliance on a strategy that depends on having an excessive amount of room off the pitch to do a flip throw. I admit, they're nice to see, but they are gimmicks. Instead, coaches should be teaching players how to do long throw ins without having to do a flip throw. True, we are talking about girls, but I have seen female players that can achieve great height and distance by throwing the conventional way
Old 11-08-17, 12:11 PM
All Region

HaaaveYouMetTed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
The only point that I'd like to make is about the flip throw, and there not being enough room to accommodate. There are a lot of soccer stadiums at the collegiate and pro level that do not have tracks around the pitch. In fact, the best soccer stadiums have the stands very close to the pitch, which reduces the possibility of doing a running flip throw.

So, teams should learn to reduce reliance on a strategy that depends on having an excessive amount of room off the pitch to do a flip throw. I admit, they're nice to see, but they are gimmicks. Instead, coaches should be teaching players how to do long throw ins without having to do a flip throw. True, we are talking about girls, but I have seen female players that can achieve great height and distance by throwing the conventional way
I agree in part and disagree in part. Teams that rely too heavily on a flip throw are at the mercy of the stadiums they play in to an extent, so putting too many of your eggs in that basket is not a smart move. However, the flip throw, at least as Loveland utilizes it, is not a gimmick. It is very effective at creating legitimate goal-scoring chances. I have yet to see a high school girl conventionally throw the ball that far, and it's not as simple as teaching girls to develop a long throw.

When a team has utilized the flip throw effectively all season, it's disappointing to get to this point and no longer have that weapon available due to the peculiarities of the stadium. I don't think there's anyone to blame - and it obviously did not hinder Loveland too much this year or two years ago, as they won both times playing there. Regardless, I think the flip throw is graduating this year anyway, so it might be a non-issue moving forward.
Old 11-08-17, 12:27 PM
All Region

soref is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaaaveYouMetTed View Post
I agree in part and disagree in part. Teams that rely too heavily on a flip throw are at the mercy of the stadiums they play in to an extent, so putting too many of your eggs in that basket is not a smart move. However, the flip throw, at least as Loveland utilizes it, is not a gimmick. It is very effective at creating legitimate goal-scoring chances. I have yet to see a high school girl conventionally throw the ball that far, and it's not as simple as teaching girls to develop a long throw.

When a team has utilized the flip throw effectively all season, it's disappointing to get to this point and no longer have that weapon available due to the peculiarities of the stadium. I don't think there's anyone to blame - and it obviously did not hinder Loveland too much this year or two years ago, as they won both times playing there. Regardless, I think the flip throw is graduating this year anyway, so it might be a non-issue moving forward.

Crew Stadium doesn't have enough room for flip throw ins so I would be surprised if the teams that use them weren't prepared to not be able to use them at some point. Yes, I'm sure it would have been nice to utilize that tactic in the State Semi-Final but they know that they aren't going to be able to in the Final so better get adjusted to the change at some point.
Old 11-08-17, 12:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
I do! First, Olentangy Liberty was GOOD! After seeing that team play then looking at their schedule, I'm scratching my head at how they could have lost 5 games. Regardless, they were very technical, organized, and could counter-attack as effectively as I've seen from any team all season. #8 up top is maybe the best player Loveland has faced this year, and I was impressed with #20's speed and technical ability as well. They gave Loveland's back line fits all night.

The game was back and forth, and I would have liked to see Loveland play less direct than they played, but I guess they felt like they had an advantage in #25's speed, so they decided to try to exploit it. If they were a little more precise in some of their crosses/layoffs back across the face of the goal, they probably would have put at least one away in the first half. Had plenty of opportunities.

Liberty's goal came on a mistake by Loveland's left back that led to a cross, a missed clearance by a centerback, a collision between the keeper and the right back, and an open goal for Liberty. Actually pretty similar to Loveland's OT game winner. But after Liberty's goal, Loveland really picked up the pressure and despite the tired legs and nagging injuries, the girls willed one in off of a corner and found the game winner after controlling the first OT period. Was a fun game to watch, but I don't know that my middle-aged heart can take any more OT. Go get one more, tigers!
Old 11-08-17, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

MoreThanSoccer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soref View Post
Crew Stadium doesn't have enough room for flip throw ins so I would be surprised if the teams that use them weren't prepared to not be able to use them at some point. Yes, I'm sure it would have been nice to utilize that tactic in the State Semi-Final but they know that they aren't going to be able to in the Final so better get adjusted to the change at some point.

In 2015, Swift performed flip throws at Mapfre (Crew) stadium. There should be room, unless Anthony Precourt has changed the field dimensions! The issue is the field is larger, so they donít always land in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-17, 05:10 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfooty1977 View Post
Thanks for the response, and maybe I wasn't too clear in my post, but I am aware of how the sites are chosen. My point was that my comment to the site manager was about the lack of seating, and he told me incorrectly that Loveland should have taken the top bracket. I was also not implying that the game should have been played in Cinci, I get it that the site had to be in Dayton. Just that these days there are many good fields and that Centerville is not the only good field.

I like your point about the grass at MAPFRE. I have also thought about that. However, the thought of playing there is so cool, I think I would still take that over some HS field with Turf.
Old 11-08-17, 05:11 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
I do, but I was answering the question that was posted.
Old 11-08-17, 06:35 PM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaaaveYouMetTed View Post
I have yet to see a high school girl conventionally throw the ball that far, and it's not as simple as teaching girls to develop a long throw.
High school girl (GO TO 1:28 part of video) -

Plus the Irish girl that played at Florida State -
Old 11-09-17, 07:10 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
High school girl (GO TO 1:28 part of video)

Plus the Irish girl that played at Florida State
Those are impressive! Like I said - I have yet to witness that in a high school game. Obviously it's possible and has happened, but it's not as easy as just teaching girls to do that, like the earlier poster seemed to imply. What a weapon though.
Old 11-09-17, 07:42 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post

Was there seating on the home side? I don't understand why some people are so reluctant to do this. I'd sit in the middle of them if I could see the action better. Unless you say or do something stupid why would anyone bother you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: