Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-19, 01:43 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,703
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Average Cost of Travel Softball Teams?

How much does the average travel softball team cost to participate?

Please indicate what age level when you post...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-11-19, 08:00 PM
Heavy Hitter 1 Heavy Hitter 1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-21-04
Posts: 1,303
Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
14U to 18U $1200 to $1500 Does not include travel cost to and from tournaments or hotel cost.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-19, 12:28 AM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
It varies.

My kid played with Lasers for a coupla years, I think it was $600.

Didn't pay much, if any at all, after that.

Didn't go to tryouts either.

Just kinda wait for them to call.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-19, 11:14 AM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 696
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
It varies.

My kid played with Lasers for a coupla years, I think it was $600.

Didn't pay much, if any at all, after that.

Didn't go to tryouts either.

Just kinda wait for them to call.
How long ago was that? That's really cheap for the upper level programs. We are paying about $1200 and we've added several families that have said that was cheaper than what the previously played.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-19, 04:48 AM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
She was a freshman in college this year so it's not exactly ancient history.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-19, 04:53 AM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
And what exactly is it that makes "an upper level program"?

Ask the guy running the show what he would have without you.

Tell him to be specific.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-19, 10:20 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,896
Auggie is on a distinguished road
Anything decent 3-4 years ago was over $1.0K plus travel costs. Still a better deal than JO volleyball which for a national team is now pushing north of $3.0K plus travel expenses; also this level includes travel that is roughly 50% through air. When all is said and done you are looking at $5.0K-$6.0K for a teen to play a sport.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-19, 12:24 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,703
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Went through travel baseball a few years ago and now starting to go through travel softball.

One thing that I did not like about travel baseball was the increased costs of tournaments for the older age groups. Thought it was a bit of gouging but I understood it because the size of the field was much larger and fewer facilities to handle these type of games.

For softball, that shouldn't be the case. 8U softball to 18U softball basically use the same size field. Also, there are no "super fields" to play on. There are no equivalents in softball to the Minor League parks that charge excessive fees to play baseball on their fields. Even the college baseball fields are significantly nicer than most of the college softball fields. Plenty of HS softball fields are just as nice as most college softball fields. Can't say that for baseball most of the time.

So the question becomes, what is the added expense for older softball attributed to?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-19, 03:14 PM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 696
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
And what exactly is it that makes "an upper level program"?

Ask the guy running the show what he would have without you.

Tell him to be specific.
I would have thought the Lasers would be a lot higher than $600 but great for you and your daughter that it wasn't. Maybe upper level program wasn't the right terminology, but there's definitely a difference between playing for the Lasers, Hawks, Outlaws, Doom, Bandits, as opposed to a lot of other organizations. The names alone tend to draw the better players. But I agree, it's not necessarily the organization that makes it upper level but the players in that organization.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-19, 03:17 PM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 696
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Went through travel baseball a few years ago and now starting to go through travel softball.

One thing that I did not like about travel baseball was the increased costs of tournaments for the older age groups. Thought it was a bit of gouging but I understood it because the size of the field was much larger and fewer facilities to handle these type of games.

For softball, that shouldn't be the case. 8U softball to 18U softball basically use the same size field. Also, there are no "super fields" to play on. There are no equivalents in softball to the Minor League parks that charge excessive fees to play baseball on their fields. Even the college baseball fields are significantly nicer than most of the college softball fields. Plenty of HS softball fields are just as nice as most college softball fields. Can't say that for baseball most of the time.

So the question becomes, what is the added expense for older softball attributed to?
I think it's the "showcase" principal in softball. The tournaments that can claim to draw the most college coaches are definitely the most expensive. We've found that sometimes those claims are valid and other times not so much.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-13-19, 03:22 PM
HSFB Fan HSFB Fan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Shanty town USA...COLERAI
Posts: 909
HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Travel team info on teams and coaches

https://www.fieldlevel.com/pgyweng6/softball/placements

It would be nice for a website like this for Ohio teams...

Now the west playing model would not work in Ohio and only a handful of organizations would be able to pull it off but it would help parents when looking.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-14-19, 01:32 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 56,703
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
I think it's the "showcase" principal in softball. The tournaments that can claim to draw the most college coaches are definitely the most expensive. We've found that sometimes those claims are valid and other times not so much.
Is there additional hidden cost to a showcase? Do they pay the coaches to be there to recruit? Or is it simply that they can charge more if the impression is that there will be coaches there?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-19, 12:56 PM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Anything decent 3-4 years ago was over $1.0K plus travel costs. Still a better deal than JO volleyball which for a national team is now pushing north of $3.0K plus travel expenses; also this level includes travel that is roughly 50% through air. When all is said and done you are looking at $5.0K-$6.0K for a teen to play a sport.
I'm confused.

You seem to be saying that the lasers team my kid played on -- the team with 9 kids from their roster playing D1 right now -- wasn't "decent."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-19, 12:58 PM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
I would have thought the Lasers would be a lot higher than $600 but great for you and your daughter that it wasn't. Maybe upper level program wasn't the right terminology, but there's definitely a difference between playing for the Lasers, Hawks, Outlaws, Doom, Bandits, as opposed to a lot of other organizations. The names alone tend to draw the better players. But I agree, it's not necessarily the organization that makes it upper level but the players in that organization.
There isn't a team out there that's bigger than the kids on it.

Understand this.

Full stop.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-19, 12:59 PM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
I think it's the "showcase" principal in softball. The tournaments that can claim to draw the most college coaches are definitely the most expensive. We've found that sometimes those claims are valid and other times not so much.
It's the kids that draw the coaches.

Not the lard *** who cashes the checks.

Learn this.

Full stop.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-17-19, 06:17 AM
NewOldBlood NewOldBlood is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-08-17
Posts: 696
NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Is there additional hidden cost to a showcase? Do they pay the coaches to be there to recruit? Or is it simply that they can charge more if the impression is that there will be coaches there?
Just the impression that there will be more coaches there. Been to some of these tournaments and there are coaches everywhere, been to others and you might only see a handful all weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-19, 11:09 PM
hoban2020 hoban2020 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-31-13
Posts: 509
hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Anything decent 3-4 years ago was over $1.0K plus travel costs. Still a better deal than JO volleyball which for a national team is now pushing north of $3.0K plus travel expenses; also this level includes travel that is roughly 50% through air. When all is said and done you are looking at $5.0K-$6.0K for a teen to play a sport.

Yep . But, but there’s the promise of a big college scholarship if they play at my club.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-19, 06:48 PM
Heavy Hitter 1 Heavy Hitter 1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-21-04
Posts: 1,303
Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Mike you have to admit your daughters team was very inexpensive compared to most high level teams. The op was asking about the cost and I would say generally team cost are $1200-$1500. There are exceptions like Mike daughters team, there are also teams out there that cost over $2000.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-23-19, 11:21 AM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter 1 View Post
Mike you have to admit your daughters team was very inexpensive compared to most high level teams. The op was asking about the cost and I would say generally team cost are $1200-$1500. There are exceptions like Mike daughters team, there are also teams out there that cost over $2000.
And I'm telling them and everyone that the "high level" teams are completely unnecessary.

100%.

My kid is playing ball with kids whose parents payed well over 20k a year for little Jr. to play in the summer.

A few of them watched her start in 30+ games this year.

Several quit and won't be playing anymore, some transferred out.

They're all going to get to where they are going and there are going to be 20 some kids on the roster instead of 11 and the people who write the lineup card don't care if your mom will bring orange slices and Capri Suns for everyone to share after the game, they don't care if grandpa will bring lemonade and popcorn for everyone, and they don't want your dad to do the book.

The wheat will fall away from the chaff.

The cream rises to the top.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-23-19, 11:37 AM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
One of my favorite conversations about this happened at a high school game.

My kid played with a kid whose sister played on one of those high rent teams.

Her dad was telling me how he watched Akron play Kent State on the tee vee machine and there were 4 kids who his older daughter played with on the field.

He said something like "then this one went to Findlay, that one went to Ohio U, the other one went to Toledo.... We went everywhere though. Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Texas..."

I said so who failed geography?

"???? What do you mean????"

I said well man, you're sitting no more than 3 hours away from any of those schools. Why did you need to travel the globe to get in front of the people who work for them?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-23-19, 01:02 PM
HSFB Fan HSFB Fan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Shanty town USA...COLERAI
Posts: 909
HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
It varies on what the family wants to do....Cost can be as little as $500 a player with travel or $2000 with travel.

Do You want to play a local schedule within 2 hours of where you live, regional schedule less than 6 hours travel or a national schedule?

Other factors to consider are: Is the team going for a A/B national or trying to compete for a ASA Gold or PGF national? Or, is the team just doing college showcase ball. 14u and above...

Remember; the more you pay or travel does not mean the more you get or, that your DD has more options if college scholarships are what you are playing for.

Someone mentioned the Lasers who seems to have a lot of teams only paying $600.
We had decent success playing the lasers over the years going 4-1 but it seemed to be a different team/coach each time we played them. So I would say they have like an A/B team in most age ranges for parents to choose from that have different cost. The more travel/better teams most likely cost more.

Most of the bigger organizations also have sponsors that help offset cost. We were sponsored by MIKEN and that helped reduce our cost to about $600 per player playing an 8 hour radius of Cincinnati from 12u to 18u.

Last edited by HSFB Fan; 06-23-19 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-19, 02:03 PM
mikedyer mikedyer is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 340
mikedyer is on a distinguished road
"Someone mentioned the Lasers who seems to have a lot of teams only paying $600.
We had decent success playing the lasers over the years going 4-1 but it seemed to be a different team/coach each time we played them. So I would say they have like an A/B team in most age ranges for parents to choose from that have different cost."

Lasers tend to have one team per birth year.

The coaches tend to stay on board from 9-18.

My number is 419 420 5017. Let me know how many D1 kids start as freshmen from the team your kid is playing on today.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-24-19, 07:48 AM
HSFB Fan HSFB Fan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Shanty town USA...COLERAI
Posts: 909
HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedyer View Post
"S

Lasers tend to have one team per birth year.

The coaches tend to stay on board from 9-18.

My number is 419 420 5017. Let me know how many D1 kids start as freshmen from the team your kid is playing on today.

LOL, My kids are 33 and 27 so they and the ones they played with have been away from HS, College and Travel Softball for a while...

Just a quick check of the Lady Lasers website that is not updated ...

It looks like they do have 2 in most and in some ages 3 teams per age range.

Schedules vary from in state play to some out of state travel and at the older ages 14 and up some of their rosters have multiple BD and grad years. That is about the norm for today's A level travel softball.

I got to believe you when you say they do not change coaches but I know from our organization that was in existence from 2005-2015 with just 8 teams it was hard to keep coaches let alone 15 or more teams like their website shows.
Nothing is listed about cost so, I would think its based per team and what each teams schedule is level of play etc.

The Lasers organization as a whole has had a lot of success and has been around a long time same as the Ohio Hawks so, they would most likely be the best teams to look at with cost and expenses for an average A level team.
http://www.ohiohawks.com/
https://www.ohioladylasers.com/teams

Last edited by HSFB Fan; 06-24-19 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2017 Final list of teams seen in person(A NEW HIGH) LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 27 12-09-17 12:33 PM
Is it time for rec leagues to grow again? SLAGuy Baseball 31 07-15-17 07:07 PM
How is your Summer Travel softball season going? SLAGuy Softball 0 07-09-17 09:19 PM
06/17 - Ohio's American Legion Baseball teams (as of June 17) seclmw Baseball 0 06-18-17 07:10 AM
127 Registered Teams at 2017 Disney Duals jarhead2 Wrestling 3 05-30-17 07:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz