Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-11-19, 06:30 AM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Absolutely no chance they release Puig. There's no cost savings and there's no one needing the playing time at the bigs.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-19, 07:47 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds are 6.5 back in the WC and would currently draft 8th. It's time to start fielding offers for guys like Roark. He is a solid number 3 who could help a contender like the Yankees. Jared Hughes and David Hernandez should be shopped as well although Hernandez likely won't get much in return.

Puig is another obvious option to trade but won't get as valuable of a return as Jose Iglesias or Derek Dietrich.
Curt Casali could bring a decent return as well.
So June 10, 6.5 back, and you want to punt for the year? The fan base (including me) would revolt.

We know there are hitters that are way under-performing. Pitching appears to be solid this year. I think we need to give the bats another 3-4 weeks to wake up - if they do this team can compete for the WC.
Old 06-11-19, 07:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I"m sure the phones never stop ringing, I think this team has another 30-40 games before it has to make any real decisions. At this point, I'm not sure Puig is tradable. I mean, would you trade for him?
My guess is they'll see if anyone wants him, and he may end up like Matt Kemp, they'll just release him. I've not see him make any adjustments to anything, the only balls he hits are mistakes down in the strike zone. You pitch him fastballs up, or breaking pitches away and he'll swing.

As much as we like Dietrich, I think the book is pretty clear on him, he can't hit lefties. He can't be an everyday player because he can't hit lefties. There had to be a reason the Marlins just let him go.
Obviously the next shoe to drop will be when Scooter returns. IMO, he moves right into second base full time. The person most affected will be Dietrich. Not sure what kind of right fielder he is, but I'd consider platooning he and Puig in the short term, until you either trade or release Puig. I'd consider keeping Dietrich long term, unless you get an offer you can't refuse.

A couple of good ones in here. You should perform in a comedy club.

-- there is zero percent chance Puig gets outright released.
-- The Marlins released Dietrich because they don't want to pay anyone
Old 06-11-19, 09:08 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely no chance they release Puig. There's no cost savings and there's no one needing the playing time at the bigs.
Teams release guys with time on their contracts all the time. It's definitely a possibility.

And I'd be hard pressed to think that anyone...VanMeter, Ervin, even Peraza could produce less in right field as Puig has. At some point you have to cut your losses. You are no going to resign him anyway.
Old 06-11-19, 03:02 PM
All World

So, the Ohio Cup continues tonight, Reds v. Indians. The Indians lead the series, although not as much as I had suspected. it's 60-49 Tribe. For some reason, the Reds have been a terrible inter-league team.

Do you like the Reds/ Indians matchup? Why or why not?
Old 06-11-19, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
So, the Ohio Cup continues tonight, Reds v. Indians. The Indians lead the series, although not as much as I had suspected. it's 60-49 Tribe. For some reason, the Reds have been a terrible inter-league team.

Well the reds have been a horrible team for a while, not just in inter league.
Old 06-11-19, 04:39 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If the Reds are going to close the gap on the Tribe, this is a good year. Should be fun.
Old 06-11-19, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I think I have given up on this years team.....

A team that struggles offensively needs to do the small things to get runs in. Once again this team failed. Runner on 2nd with no outs and they could not move him over to 3rd....

Bases loaded with one out and could not get a run in....
Old 06-12-19, 05:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
So June 10, 6.5 back, and you want to punt for the year? The fan base (including me) would revolt.

We know there are hitters that are way under-performing. Pitching appears to be solid this year. I think we need to give the bats another 3-4 weeks to wake up - if they do this team can compete for the WC.
7.5 games back and 9 teams to jump.

Absolutely I'd field offers right now.
Old 06-12-19, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

Iíd hope they are always open to fielding offers to better the team. Seems a bit early to maximize value in a trade.
Old 06-12-19, 09:12 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Yes, it is realistic to think that some of those who are off to bad starts will probably improve as the season moves along. But isn't it also realistic to think that those who have been hitting way above their career stats are going to return to their previous normals as well?

This "Just wait until the offense improves and we'll zip right up the standings" argument just makes too many assumptions that everything is going to break right for the Reds. Besides, are we to expect that the pitching staff will continue to be among the leaders in MLB?

Now, all of these optimistic hopes and dreams ARE possible. The Reds -- currently 29/36 -- COULD very well play winning baseball. Let's look at what they need to do.

In the last 3 years, the team who finished 3rd in the Wild Card standings ended with 88 wins (2018), 86 wins (2017), 88 wins (2016). Keep in mind that these teams DID NOT MAKE the playoffs.

So, let's make the assumption that the Reds turn things around in the final 97 games (all the hitters are hitting, all the pitchers are hitting, no big injuries). If the Reds play .577 baseball, they will end with 86 wins. If they play .608 baseball, they will end up with 88 wins. NEITHER OF THESE will probably get them into the Wild Card playoff game.

Considering that this year the Reds have played .446 baseball, it just seems to me that any thought of playoffs is nothing more than a hope and a prayer. Personally, I hope Reds' management will not be making moves based on that.
Old 06-13-19, 07:04 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Yes, it is realistic to think that some of those who are off to bad starts will probably improve as the season moves along. But isn't it also realistic to think that those who have been hitting way above their career stats are going to return to their previous normals as well?

This "Just wait until the offense improves and we'll zip right up the standings" argument just makes too many assumptions that everything is going to break right for the Reds. Besides, are we to expect that the pitching staff will continue to be among the leaders in MLB?

Now, all of these optimistic hopes and dreams ARE possible. The Reds -- currently 29/36 -- COULD very well play winning baseball. Let's look at what they need to do.

In the last 3 years, the team who finished 3rd in the Wild Card standings ended with 88 wins (2018), 86 wins (2017), 88 wins (2016). Keep in mind that these teams DID NOT MAKE the playoffs.

So, let's make the assumption that the Reds turn things around in the final 97 games (all the hitters are hitting, all the pitchers are hitting, no big injuries). If the Reds play .577 baseball, they will end with 86 wins. If they play .608 baseball, they will end up with 88 wins. NEITHER OF THESE will probably get them into the Wild Card playoff game.

Considering that this year the Reds have played .446 baseball, it just seems to me that any thought of playoffs is nothing more than a hope and a prayer. Personally, I hope Reds' management will not be making moves based on that.
Well said Steve.

I would add that the (internal) debate the Reds should be having is when and who to trade.

I would also hope that they are open to adding proven major league veterans with multiple years of control left.
Old 06-13-19, 07:14 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I’d hope they are always open to fielding offers to better the team. Seems a bit early to maximize value in a trade.
Maybe. There are probably more buyers now than there will be in late July which means fewer sellers now as well.

I would think the Yankees could have interest in Tanner Roark. The Philly's appear to be a fit for bullpen guys.
The Indians need offensive help and might be interested in a Dereck Dietrich or Puig (although his value is very low right now). I'm not sure what kind of return any of them would bring aside from some salary relief and maybe a decent midlevel prospect (for Roark).
Iglesias (the SS) might bring the best return of any of them.
Iglesias (the pitcher) could be a valuable trade chip for a team like the Dodgers. His long term, team friendly contract should be valuable.
Old 06-13-19, 07:15 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post

Steve - I always look at the numbers and I agree with you. After the 1-8 start, the Reds are basically a .500 team. If they start hitting and play well, they might get to 84-86 wins.

My whole point is you don't pull the plug in early-mid June. If the Reds are trending up the next few weeks, let it ride. This is a fairly decent roster. Scooter and Alex Woods would be a shot in the arm.

Sports are entertainment business, and the team is respectable / competitive now. I'm sick of having the Reds season be over July 31. Wouldn't it be fun to go into August / September with a chance at sneaking into Wild Card #2? Even if we fall a game or 2 short, it would be fun, and give the team a stepping stone for next year.

What would the Reds really get if they trade Roark / Puig / Et. ? Are any teams sending us the next Trout or Snell? Nope. Let's just have a fun summer for once.
Old 06-13-19, 07:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Maybe. There are probably more buyers now than there will be in late July which means fewer sellers now as well.

I would think the Yankees could have interest in Tanner Roark. The Philly's appear to be a fit for bullpen guys.
The Indians need offensive help and might be interested in a Dereck Dietrich or Puig (although his value is very low right now). I'm not sure what kind of return any of them would bring aside from some salary relief and maybe a decent midlevel prospect (for Roark).
Iglesias (the pitcher) could be a valuable trade chip for a team like the Dodgers. His long term, team friendly contract should be valuable.
So is the plan every season to play April/May and then burn it to the ground if you aren't satisfied with the standings?

You've got to give a team time to gel, and find it's stride. There are always teams that catch fire in the summer and do unexpected things. Oakland and Milwaukee last year come to mind.
Old 06-13-19, 08:21 AM
All World

Out of last place!!!
Old 06-13-19, 08:21 AM
All World

Quote:

I'm sure they have, they probably have since the start of the season.
Old 06-13-19, 08:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Steve - I always look at the numbers and I agree with you. After the 1-8 start, the Reds are basically a .500 team. If they start hitting and play well, they might get to 84-86 wins.

My whole point is you don't pull the plug in early-mid June. If the Reds are trending up the next few weeks, let it ride. This is a fairly decent roster. Scooter and Alex Woods would be a shot in the arm.

Sports are entertainment business, and the team is respectable / competitive now. I'm sick of having the Reds season be over July 31. Wouldn't it be fun to go into August / September with a chance at sneaking into Wild Card #2? Even if we fall a game or 2 short, it would be fun, and give the team a stepping stone for next year.

What would the Reds really get if they trade Roark / Puig / Et. ? Are any teams sending us the next Trout or Snell? Nope. Let's just have a fun summer for once.
The Reds can move players and not put up the white flag. I mean if they trade Roark or DeSclafani, Lucas Sims can be here in a day and you move on. There is enough depth in the organization that this team can withstand an injury or a trade.

The last two days in Cleveland is a microcosm of the season. We score 8 runs in two game, give up 4 and split the series. We lose close games and win by a bigger margin, it's been that way most of the season. But to just make a thought that it's not going to get better in mid June is silly. This team does two things that keep you in every game, they pitch, and they play defense. They just a key hit or two in all of these close games they've lost this year and the picture looks alot different.
Hang in there folks, we're not dead yet.
Old 06-13-19, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

It seems most buyers are more motivated at the trade deadline, but yeah if the opportunity presents itself for an advantageous deal, the Reds should capitalize on it regardless.
Old 06-13-19, 01:33 PM
All World

It's really sad to see how Pete Rose is behaving these days. He's got a new book coming out (imagine that) so Pete, never at a loss for words, are taking shots at anyone and everyone.
I wish someone close to him would advise him to shut his mouth and just be a grateful retired baseball player. Pete made his own bed years and years ago, and is unwilling to lie in it.
The Cincinnati Reds, the city of Cincinnati and major league baseball owes him nothing. He just needs to go away.
Old 06-13-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's really sad to see how Pete Rose is behaving these days. He's got a new book coming out (imagine that) so Pete, never at a loss for words, are taking shots at anyone and everyone.
I wish someone close to him would advise him to shut his mouth and just be a grateful retired baseball player. Pete made his own bed years and years ago, and is unwilling to lie in it.
The Cincinnati Reds, the city of Cincinnati and major league baseball owes him nothing. He just needs to go away.
Rose is a scumbag human. Donít buy his book.
Old 06-14-19, 01:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Rose is a scumbag human. Donít buy his book.
Don't plan to, I choose to remember the Pete, pre 1989...
Old 06-14-19, 08:23 PM
All World

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't plan to, I choose to remember the Pete, pre 1989...
Oh so you're just fine with the part of his career where he was alleged to be hooking up with underage teens?
Old 06-16-19, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

Two awful efforts against Texas. 5 hits and 1 run Friday, 4 hits and 3 errors on Saturday.

OK - I'm on board - trade anyone on the roster except for Castillo, Senzel or Suarez. They are the anchors for the future of the Reds.

Such a puzzling team. Compare the individuals on the roster to the rest of the NL and I think the Reds compare evenly or favorably with everyone except Cubs, Dodgers, Braves and Brewers. But the results don't lie. Not a good ball team.
Old 06-16-19, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Oh so you're just fine with the part of his career where he was alleged to be hooking up with underage teens?
Sounds like it.
Old 06-16-19, 11:23 AM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Two awful efforts against Texas. 5 hits and 1 run Friday, 4 hits and 3 errors on Saturday.

OK - I'm on board - trade anyone on the roster except for Castillo, Senzel or Suarez. They are the anchors for the future of the Reds.

Such a puzzling team. Compare the individuals on the roster to the rest of the NL and I think the Reds compare evenly or favorably with everyone except Cubs, Dodgers, Braves and Brewers. But the results don't lie. Not a good ball team.
Mariners selling. Traded Encarnacion to Yanks who need pitching, but are settling - for now - on stacking the lineup a bit more.

Bounce back today.
Old 06-17-19, 06:44 AM
All World

Reds are 4-8 this month. It isn't likely to get much better with series against the Astros, Brewers, Angel's and Cubs.
Old 06-17-19, 09:10 AM
All World

Quote:
Reds are 4-8 this month. It isn't likely to get much better with series against the Astros, Brewers, Angel's and Cubs.
I'm not sure it matters who we play, it seems like we are a .500 team against about everyone.

If you're David Bell, how in the heck do you make a lineup out? Our hottest hitter now is a guy who's done little all season in Puig. Our coldest hitter was one of our best two weeks ago in Suarez. VanMeter got a couple of hits yesterday. Winker hit well yesterday.
Our constant is pitching, we are and continue to get good pitching. Now I will say if, IF we ever start hitting consistently, we can run off alot of wins. Fortunately, no one in the division can sustain a win streak or we'd be way out of this thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: