Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 11-25-17, 11:24 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,296
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
It's interesting because if OSU does get in ahead of Bama, the committee is completely disregarding everything that happened last year, with a 1-loss OSU getting in over 2-loss conference champion PSU.

This process will be much better once we get to a 64 team, 4 conference, 2 division per conference, 8 teams per division super league, where the conference championships act as the 1st round of the playoffs, with the winners advancing to the semi-finals.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #422  
Old 11-25-17, 11:39 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,463
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
It's interesting because if OSU does get in ahead of Bama, the committee is completely disregarding everything that happened last year, with a 1-loss OSU getting in over 2-loss conference champion PSU.

This process will be much better once we get to a 64 team, 4 conference, 2 division per conference, 8 teams per division super league, where the conference championships act as the 1st round of the playoffs, with the winners advancing to the semi-finals.
I'd just like a scenario where when you win your conference, you know you're in. The objective should be to take the committee out of the deciding process completely, similar to auto qualifiers in the basketball tourney. You shouldn't have to wait around for several days wondering if you're in or not. This year it could lead to a vastly inferior Stanford getting in if they win the PAC12, but that's fine with me as long as they win their conference. Alabama lost their most important game and should therefore be out of it imo. It's retårded to have rematches in the CFP when team A beat team B in the regular season.
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 11-25-17, 11:49 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,463
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Or, to satisfy the G5 conferences, the sixth team into CFP is the best conference winner from the G5. Win your conference or you're f'ed. Keep it at 6 teams and you avoid the 1 loss and SOS shenanigans. Voila.

That would essentially end all of the good OOC early season games though since there would be no point. I still prefer that over the way it is now.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 11-25-17, 11:54 PM
FormerWildcat's Avatar
FormerWildcat FormerWildcat is offline
Yappi Supporter
 
Join Date: 07-22-01
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 19,173
FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
It was absurd that Alabama was ranked #1 all along. Their SOS was no better than Wisconsin's the entire time.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...r_alabama.html

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/w...agarin-ranking
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 11-25-17, 11:58 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,296
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Or, to satisfy the G5 conferences, the sixth team into CFP is the best conference winner from the G5. Win your conference or you're f'ed. Keep it at 6 teams and you avoid the 1 loss and SOS shenanigans. Voila.

That would essentially end all of the good OOC early season games though since there would be no point. I still prefer that over the way it is now.
Honestly, just get rid of the G5 already. It's clear the committee has no respect for them and never will. Split FBS into 2 divisions.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 11-26-17, 12:03 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,463
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Honestly, just get rid of the G5 already. It's clear the committee has no respect for them and never will. Split FBS into 2 divisions.
I'd be fine with that. It'd be the only realistic way for 50% of FBS schools to win a championship.

Last edited by Sig Hansen; 11-26-17 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 11-26-17, 12:21 AM
Gh0st Gh0st is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 3,708
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
It will be the same group of people lobbying for Bama to be in the playoff this year that were so up in arms about OSU being included last year. To be honest, as an OSU fan, I don't think we've earned a spot this year, but would also say that Bama has benefited tremendously from where they happened to be subjectively placed in the polls. It just goes to show that ultimately the four team playoff system is still falling short in finding an objective national champion.
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 11-26-17, 11:52 AM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,140
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
It's interesting because if OSU does get in ahead of Bama, the committee is completely disregarding everything that happened last year, with a 1-loss OSU getting in over 2-loss conference champion PSU.

This process will be much better once we get to a 64 team, 4 conference, 2 division per conference, 8 teams per division super league, where the conference championships act as the 1st round of the playoffs, with the winners advancing to the semi-finals.
IMO last year’s OSU team was much different than this years Bama team. I know many have said it’s the same situation, but it’s not. For starters, OSU had a huge win on the road at Oklahoma last year. Bama has no such big win this year, not even close. Secondly, whoever wins the SEC will have a better resume IMO than what PSU had last year.

The records are the same, but there are still big differences.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 11-26-17, 12:01 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,584
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
OSU last year I believe had three top ten wins, and four or five top 25.

This Bama is more similar to 2015 OSU, when Zeke and co didn't get in. BUT our two losses this year are so bad that we shouldn't get in over a one loss team IMO
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 11-26-17, 01:38 PM
FormerWildcat's Avatar
FormerWildcat FormerWildcat is offline
Yappi Supporter
 
Join Date: 07-22-01
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 19,173
FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
OSU last year I believe had three top ten wins, and four or five top 25.

This Bama is more similar to 2015 OSU, when Zeke and co didn't get in. BUT our two losses this year are so bad that we shouldn't get in over a one loss team IMO
Last year's Buckeye squad had regular season wins over Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin, which were all in the top ten after the conference championship week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_N...tball_rankings

Alabama's biggest wins this season are against #16 Mississippi State and #19 LSU. There's no way you can compare Alabama's schedule this year to Ohio State's last year.

I don't think you could put in Alabama over Ohio State this year, because their schedule is so massively weak, and they lost their only big game of the season this year.

I think it would have been appropriate to put Alabama in over the Buckeyes if the Tide had beaten Auburn, but lost to Georgia in the SEC championship game, though.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 11-26-17, 02:26 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Last year's Buckeye squad had regular season wins over Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin, which were all in the top ten after the conference championship week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_N...tball_rankings

Alabama's biggest wins this season are against #16 Mississippi State and #19 LSU. There's no way you can compare Alabama's schedule this year to Ohio State's last year.

I don't think you could put in Alabama over Ohio State this year, because their schedule is so massively weak, and they lost their only big game of the season this year.

I think it would have been appropriate to put Alabama in over the Buckeyes if the Tide had beaten Auburn, but lost to Georgia in the SEC championship game, though.
Just so
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 12-09-17, 06:39 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 14,002
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
That was a heck of an Army vs Navy game. I’m going to try to attend that game next year. Always wanted to experience it in person.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 12-09-17, 07:15 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,463
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Awesome game. Sucks for the Navy kicker, had plenty of leg but the wind and snow pushed it left.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 17 09-24-18 05:18 PM
Live Goes - Free - Every Monday Night. HS, College, Adult Wrestling. 8PM -9PM Sid's Dad Wrestling 45 08-28-17 10:34 AM
Massillon Football Program: Booster Club DB135 Massillon Tigers 1 08-24-17 09:59 PM
Spectrum Sports 2017 HS Football Broadcast Schedule Yappi Football 2 08-17-17 10:25 PM
Live Goes - Free - Every Monday Night. HS, College, Adult Wrestling. 8PM -9PM Sid's Dad Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 3 07-31-17 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz