Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-18-18, 05:01 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
5 pars and 4 bogies in the league tonight for a 39. We played in under 2 hours. The guys were behind us were an entire half hour behind, holding up the entire golf course.
Sweet.

Timing in life is everything!
Old 07-18-18, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Sweet.

Timing in life is everything!
Amen. I know my golf game suffers when things are slow.
Old 07-19-18, 06:49 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Oh no! The greens at Carnoustie are hard and dry from drought. How long before the million dollar snowflakes demand someone change the weather and make the course perfectly the same throughout the day?
Old 07-19-18, 07:37 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know how the Weiskopf course at Quail Hollow is playing?
Old 07-19-18, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Oh no! The greens at Carnoustie are hard and dry from drought. How long before the million dollar snowflakes demand someone change the weather and make the course perfectly the same throughout the day?
I doubt the R&A will be as dumb with their course setup as the USGA was.
Old 07-19-18, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Actually the the Americans, notably Tiger, are complaining that the greens at Carnoustie are too slow and the fairways are too hard; they are actually faster than the greens due to the dry weather. Some Par 4s that are well over 400 yards long are playing driver/wedge. Also the typical Open rough is not as full as usual and more "wispy" so players will not be penalized as much hitting errant shots off the fairway. The real defense at this time are the pot bunkers that dot the course. By the way so far this morning the course is playing easy with a lot of red on the leader board.

Old 07-19-18, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

The big in-laws tourney is at Roses Run this year, probably the course I hate the most in NEO and for the 1st time in years dreading playing golf.
Old 07-19-18, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskin17 View Post
Anyone know how the Weiskopf course at Quail Hollow is playing?
I have not played this course in a while but I hear the current conditions are only so/so for a resort course. If you have not played it before it is a "tricky" late out and make sure you know the lay of the land before striking a ball. Also it is a very tight tree lined course with a lot forced carries; sometimes it is best to leave the driver in the bag on certain holes. Finally since Renaissance left the the management of the hotel and catering functions staying and hosting events there has been a negative experience. Do not book a room at the hotel.
Old 07-19-18, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

thanks for the info
Old 07-19-18, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
The big in-laws tourney is at Roses Run this year, probably the course I hate the most in NEO and for the 1st time in years dreading playing golf.
Whomever designed 12-17 at Roses Run was on crack.
Old 07-19-18, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
Whomever designed 12-17 at Roses Run was on crack.
It's like they built the houses then figured out how to run the holes through the back yards. Their course maintenance is awful too.

Speaking of course maintenance, I drove by Brandywine last week and there were weeds growing in the sand traps. Nice! On the up side, I drove by Mogadore which has been closed for three or four years and it doesn't look any different after having 3 or 4 years to grow over!
Old 07-19-18, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's like they built the houses then figured out how to run the holes through the back yards. Their course maintenance is awful too.

Speaking of course maintenance, I drove by Brandywine last week and there were weeds growing in the sand traps. Nice! On the up side, I drove by Mogadore which has been closed for three or four years and it doesn't look any different after having 3 or 4 years to grow over!
Myron and I ran into Mr. Angry at Life at the front desk a few years. It kind of soured us on the place.

As far as Brandywine, the front was decent, but the back makes Roses Run look like Augusta.
Old 07-23-18, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

So while I played well and won the family event I still hate Roses Run. The only reason we ended up there is due to tee time availability; for a Saturday in July the parking lot was empty. Weird feel inside the clubhouse too as most of the lights were off in this huge building with only 1 lonely guy behind the bar working the turn. Really felt for the cart girl as it seemed she was only driving in circles with the few cheap golfers on the tract not buying anything. I could see them closing the course and turning it into a glorified walking path for the residents.
Old 07-23-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So while I played well and won the family event I still hate Roses Run. The only reason we ended up there is due to tee time availability; for a Saturday in July the parking lot was empty. Weird feel inside the clubhouse too as most of the lights were off in this huge building with only 1 lonely guy behind the bar working the turn. Really felt for the cart girl as it seemed she was only driving in circles with the few cheap golfers on the tract not buying anything. I could see them closing the course and turning it into a glorified walking path for the residents.
Did you get the ball into the clown's mouth and through the windmill on 12?
Old 07-23-18, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Did you get the ball into the clown's mouth and through the windmill on 12?
Actually parred that dopey hole, never took out a wood on a par 5.

Took a snowman though on 14. Hit a great drive that barely trickled into the left rough and it never stopped in the sloping browned out stuff until it ran down into the OB. For this tourney we play full on USGA rules so I had to go back to re-tee and start all over again. Got conservative and ended up in a green side bunker that was hard pan laying 5 and scalded it to the edge of the rough right up against the cattails that boarder the green, had no back swing so basically came right down on it and advanced it a few feet. Thankfully got up and down to notch that 8. Also those stupid short 90 degree dog legs are idiotic too, I get 1 a course but anything more than that is weak golf architecture.
Old 07-23-18, 06:25 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Took a snowman though on 14. Hit a great drive that barely trickled into the left rough and it never stopped in the sloping browned out stuff until it ran down into the OB. For this tourney we play full on USGA rules so I had to go back to re-tee and start all over again. Got conservative and ended up in a green side bunker that was hard pan laying 5 and scalded it to the edge of the rough right up against the cattails that boarder the green, had no back swing so basically came right down on it and advanced it a few feet. Thankfully got up and down to notch that 8. Also those stupid short 90 degree dog legs are idiotic too, I get 1 a course but anything more than that is weak golf architecture.
Ahh, those dreaded snowmen. Thankfully, they don't come often.

One course in my area has one of these as the #1 hole. About two hundred and fifty yards along the roadway and then an abrupt left to an elevated green (the only saving grace for the hole). It's apparent the fairway ends at the property line (barbed wire fence). The rest of the course, owned and built by a local family-owned landscaping company, is okay. Hmmm...
Old 07-23-18, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

A couple of years ago, the City of Stow, in analyzing what they could do with Fox Den, took offers. The owners of Roses Run proposed a straight up swap. As you might imagine, Stow was not interested. LOL.
Old 07-23-18, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have not played this course in a while but I hear the current conditions are only so/so for a resort course. If you have not played it before it is a "tricky" late out and make sure you know the lay of the land before striking a ball. Also it is a very tight tree lined course with a lot forced carries; sometimes it is best to leave the driver in the bag on certain holes. Finally since Renaissance left the the management of the hotel and catering functions staying and hosting events there has been a negative experience. Do not book a room at the hotel.

Course was in great shape. The resort looked like a rundown motel 6, sad. But the course and the country club were very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-18, 01:41 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
That was a great read about Roses Run, Auggie. Definitely a spot-on review of a place that had a lot of potential and has sure seen it’s better days. What kills me is all the parking available at that place. They ought to lease half of it to a Drivers Ed school, for maneuverability practice.
Old 07-25-18, 01:48 PM
All American

Ones, Omes Junior and I hit Little Mountain this morning. Third time for those guys, first time for me. A nice course, more reminiscent of Kensington than the Deer Ridge that I was expecting.

I was smoking through 15 holes, experienced regression to the mean on #16 & 17, due to my own incompetence, and then ran into one of the least par-able par 4s I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Whistling Straits, which has some brutal ones) in #18.

The drive from #14 to #15 was baffling (especially after a nice chat with a rather distracting cart girl), winding its way through a very affluent neighborhood before the golf course re-emerges.

Best part was that after four holes, the college sophomores who were playing in front of us let us play through. One had never played the game before, two others were “out for the first time this year,” and the one kid who actually had some game was probably Hamlin’s son. Kind of a tough course to a) break in to the sport with, and b) open one’s season with.

All three of us had real good stretches, with a couple bad holes thrown in, but a fun morning with 111111111114111111 and his youngster!
Old 07-25-18, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Ones, Omes Junior and I hit Little Mountain this morning. Third time for those guys, first time for me. A nice course, more reminiscent of Kensington than the Deer Ridge that I was expecting.

I was smoking through 15 holes, experienced regression to the mean on #16 & 17, due to my own incompetence, and then ran into one of the least par-able par 4s Iíve ever played (and Iíve played Whistling Straits, which has some brutal ones) in #18.

The drive from #14 to #15 was baffling (especially after a nice chat with a rather distracting cart girl), winding its way through a very affluent neighborhood before the golf course re-emerges.

Best part was that after four holes, the college sophomores who were playing in front of us let us play through. One had never played the game before, two others were ďout for the first time this year,Ē and the one kid who actually had some game was probably Hamlinís son. Kind of a tough course to a) break in to the sport with, and b) open oneís season with.

All three of us had real good stretches, with a couple bad holes thrown in, but a fun morning with 111111111114111111 and his youngster!
Another GREAT round with Myron and Male 11's. Thank God the young men let us through, or we might just be finishing up. Yes, we teed off at 8:40 and it is now 3:30.

Little Mountain is not a course for the weak of heart and there were plenty of traps and places to go OB. Our putting was a little questionable, as the greens were tough.

Yes, all three of us put together stretches of bad and good holes.

18 is probably the toughest public par 4 that you will see. I want to meet the long hitters that are putting for bird. I can't describe the hole, you will have to witness it for yourself.

Hopefully Myron and I, and 11's, can get out again before the leaves begin to fall.

Additionally, there was no sighting of Jimmy Hamlin, but the highlight of our day would've been a sighting of Elise Lobb, Holly Sonders, or Natalie Gulbis.
Old 07-25-18, 02:43 PM
All American

Quote:
Additionally, there was no sighting of Jimmy Hamlin, but the highlight of our day would've been a sighting of Elise Lobb, Holly Sonders, or Natalie Gulbis.
That wasnít Elise/Holly/Natalie playing on the opposite nine of us?
Old 07-25-18, 03:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That wasnít Elise/Holly/Natalie playing on the opposite nine of us?
Probably their grandmothers. I'm thinking those age-challenged women may also still be out there.
Old 07-25-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Another GREAT round with Myron and Male 11's. Thank God the young men let us through, or we might just be finishing up. Yes, we teed off at 8:40 and it is now 3:30.

Little Mountain is not a course for the weak of heart and there were plenty of traps and places to go OB. Our putting was a little questionable, as the greens were tough.

Yes, all three of us put together stretches of bad and good holes.

18 is probably the toughest public par 4 that you will see. I want to meet the long hitters that are putting for bird. I can't describe the hole, you will have to witness it for yourself.

Hopefully Myron and I, and 11's, can get out again before the leaves begin to fall.

I have played LM a couple times and like it for the most part. The signature design element really is their very deep bunkers and how penal they are if you get in them. The houses are there but outside of the above mentioned borderline dangerous drive between holes 14 and 15 it's not Roses Run insane. My main complaint is lack of medium sized par 3s and 4s, they are either short or insanely long which means the mid irons stay in the bag for the most part. 18 has to be played like a par 4.5 as the carry for the second shot is usually well over 200 yards so most play it down the fairway as it really narrows from 100 yards in and hope for the best. The bunker complex is mostly for appearance as everyone is too chicken to try and hit a stiff wood over these daunting bunkers.

Old 07-25-18, 04:34 PM
All American

111411 gave his stiff wood a shot (That’s what she said...) over those bunkers...

(As I did with a short iron; neither, as you could guess, fared well)

Last edited by Myron; 07-25-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
111411 gave his stiff wood a shot (Thatís what she said...) over those bunkers...

(As I did with a short iron; neither, as you could guess, fared well)
18 is a big boy hole.

Tanglewood in Chagrin Falls tomorrow morning.

After tomorrow, until the season ends, I probably won't be playing outside of Sleepy Hollow much.
Old 07-29-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

If you're in the Chagrin Falls area, try to play Tanglewood. If you like traps, some water, trees, and swamp areas, this course is for you. I really enjoyed playing, but keep your ball in the fairway and limit your mistakes, or you'll really pay. We got it for a senior rate of $29 online.

As we were at the lakehouse in Ashtabula County on Saturday, I decided to head to a place called Hemlock Springs. I was alone and went online for $14, including fees. I teed off at 2:30, following an outing and was joined by a young man that was walking. He only played 9 holes, then two twosomes let me play through. The course was pretty tight, but I played decently. They don't have the most friendly staff and you couldn't tell the fairway from the rough, but for $14 ......................

Back at Sleepy this morning and probably for the rest of the week, with a possible meeting with Myron sometime next week or the week after.
Old 07-30-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
If you're in the Chagrin Falls area, try to play Tanglewood. If you like traps, some water, trees, and swamp areas, this course is for you. I really enjoyed playing, but keep your ball in the fairway and limit your mistakes, or you'll really pay. We got it for a senior rate of $29 online.

As we were at the lakehouse in Ashtabula County on Saturday, I decided to head to a place called Hemlock Springs. I was alone and went online for $14, including fees. I teed off at 2:30, following an outing and was joined by a young man that was walking. He only played 9 holes, then two twosomes let me play through. The course was pretty tight, but I played decently. They don't have the most friendly staff and you couldn't tell the fairway from the rough, but for $14 ......................

Back at Sleepy this morning and probably for the rest of the week, with a possible meeting with Myron sometime next week or the week after.
Tanglewood is an interesting course, not a bad track with some really cool holes that use the elevation change well but the current conditioning leaves a little to be desired. Location is a challenge too and many new to the course golfers find it hard to locate the clubhouse. Also the history is very colorful, it is no longer the "family" hang out that it once was and I am not talking the wife and kids type family either.
Old 07-30-18, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tanglewood is an interesting course, not a bad track with some really cool holes that use the elevation change well but the current conditioning leaves a little to be desired. Location is a challenge too and many new to the course golfers find it hard to locate the clubhouse. Also the history is very colorful, it is no longer the "family" hang out that it once was and I am not talking the wife and kids type family either.
I think it was #17, the hole that has a busy road to the left and a creek running in front of the green.

One member of our group yanked his tee shot onto the road. There was a long line of cars coming up the road, and for the life of me, I don't know how he missed hitting one. Of course the other members of the group, myself included, thought it was hilarious.
Old 08-04-18, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Meadow Lake CC in Canton,women,children and me,par 64 with water.Last week with my son in a cart,24 holes in two hours 15mins and two Bud Lights...BAM!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: