Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 09:33 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
We just have to locate and dig up the cover stone and ring from Giza in Egypt, and then steps 1, 2, and 3 will be a breeze.

It's an interesting thing to conjecture. I'm more with Crusaders. If I'm not mistaken, our physicists already know how to make a wormhole. The problem is finding an energy source powerful enough to do it without wiping out the planet.
Old 06-14-18, 06:50 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
We just have to locate and dig up the cover stone and ring from Giza in Egypt, and then steps 1, 2, and 3 will be a breeze.

It's an interesting thing to conjecture. I'm more with Crusaders. If I'm not mistaken, our physicists already know how to make a wormhole. The problem is finding an energy source powerful enough to do it without wiping out the planet.
Well whether you & Crusaders are right and it's a 1,000 years or I'm right and it's only 100 years I'm unlikely to be around to see it happen - unless I splurge and take a long nap in a fancy new cryosleep chamber!

I would point out that back in the day folks experiencing the awesome power of electricity when lightening strikes a tree could never imagine this power ever being routinely harnessed for our use. And yet here we are.
Old 06-14-18, 12:34 PM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Astronauts Venture into Space for a Spacewalk (6/14/18)

https://www.twitch.tv/nasa

"Grab me a peach tea from the airlock." - Ricky Arnold

"No one ever showed me how to turn on the Go-Pro." - Drew Feustel
Old 06-14-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Astronauts Venture into Space for a Spacewalk (6/14/18)

https://www.twitch.tv/nasa

"Grab me a peach tea from the airlock." - Ricky Arnold

"No one ever showed me how to turn on the Go-Pro." - Drew Feustel
Very cool video! The shots showing the Mediterranean sea in the background are spectacular. As an aside, watching them hook the safety latches in place reminds us that they're doing this work on a knifes edge.
Old 06-16-18, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

Just like in the movie Avatar (big blue aliens not the air bender kid) the moons of some of the newly discovered planets may hold life:

https://www.space.com/40773-giant-ex...fe-search.html

Researchers have identified more than 100 giant exoplanets that may have potentially life-hosting moons.

The new analysis could change the way scientists search for life in the cosmos, study team members said.

That search has generally focused on places more or less like Earth — rocky planets in the "habitable zone" of their host star, that just-right range of distances where liquid water could exist on a world's surface. Jupiter-like planets don't seem like good candidates in this regard, because they have no discernible surface. But the rocky moons of such gas giants may be a different story, study team members said.
Old 06-18-18, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

Those Russians sure know how to multitask!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/rus...-junk-12716732

But the Russians have an idea to start blasting away the space clutter with a gigantic laser.

According to Live Science , which picked up on a report from RT, Precision Instrument Systems - an R&D wing of the Russian space agency Roscosmos has submitted plans to build a laser cannon.

The plan is to transform a 3-meter optical telescope into a blaster that can vaporise floating bits of debris in low Earth orbit.

At the risk of sounding a bit paranoid here I would suspect that this giant space laser isn't restricted to vaporizing just junk.
Old 06-19-18, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

Now this will be an epic voyage if we ever get around to doing it:

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-minimu...-centauri.html

Humanity has long dreamed about sending humans to other planets, even before crewed spaceflight became a reality. And with the discovery of thousands exoplanets in recent decades, particularly those that orbit within neighboring star systems (like Proxima b), that dream seems closer than ever to becoming a reality. But of course, a lot of technical challenges need to be overcome before we can hope to mount such a mission.

Given the time scales involved with such a mission I think the psychological aspects will be the biggest hurdle here.

"Of the 3757 exoplanets that have been detected, the closest Earth-like planet lies at 40 trillion kilometers from us. At 1 percent of the speed of light, which is far superior to the highest velocities achieved by state-of-the-art spacecraft, it would still take 422 years for ships to reach their destination. One of the immediate consequences of this is that interstellar voyages cannot be achieved within a human lifespan. It requires a long-duration space mission, which necessitates finding a solution whereby the crew survive hundreds of years in deep space. This is the goal of our project: to establish the minimum size of a self-sustaining, long duration space mission, in terms of both hardware and population. By doing so, we intend to obtain scientifically-accurate estimates of the requirements for multi-generational interstellar travel, unlocking the future of human space exploration, migration and habitation."
Old 06-20-18, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

I always thought that it was far more likely we would contaminate Mars then the other way around:

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/201...&utm_medium=16

New research suggests certain cyanobacteria could thrive on Mars. The microbes could even be used to provide future space colonies with oxygen.

"This might sound like science fiction, but space agencies and private companies around the world are actively trying to turn this aspiration into reality in the not-too-distant future," Elmars Krausz, chemistry professor at Australian National University, said in a news release. "Photosynthesis could theoretically be harnessed with these types of organisms to create air for humans to breathe on Mars."

And for the record this is a great idea!
Old 06-20-18, 06:12 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
... At 1 percent of the speed of light, which is far superior to the highest velocities achieved by state-of-the-art spacecraft, it would still take 422 years for ships to reach their destination. ...[/I][/B]
For perspective: one percent of the speed of light is 6,696,000 mph.

The fastest manned spacecraft ever was Apollo 10 at 24,791 mph.
Old 06-22-18, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
For perspective: one percent of the speed of light is 6,696,000 mph.

The fastest manned spacecraft ever was Apollo 10 at 24,791 mph.
It's a daunting task that's for sure. Of course at those speeds the challenge is slowing down!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: