Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-08-12, 08:59 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
PrepNation Preseason National Prep Football Poll 2012

Here's the PrepNation preseason poll. Mostly the usual suspects, but Nashville Ensworth and Detroit Cass Tech are interesting additions this year.

Moeller is getting the usual hype, but until they win the "big one" now (as opposed to the past), I think most Ohioans are going to be skeptical. I'm very surprised they went with Moeller as the top Ohio team; I would have guessed they would have stuck with someone "safe" like St. Ignatius or St. Xavier.

http://www.coacht.com/national/article.cfm?id=366035

Quote:
# School Record Note LW
1. Bradenton, Fla., Manatee 13-2 Class 7A champ in 2011; both losses to Top 5 teams
2. Concord, Calif., De La Salle 13-1 three-time defending Open Division state titlist
3. Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., Santa Margarita 13-2 Nebraska-bound QB Johnny Stanton one of 15 returning starters
4. Dallas, Texas, Skyline 14-1 five seniors committed to FBS schools
5. Miami, Fla., Booker T. Washington 12-2 18 starters back including DB Michael Johnson (Florida St.)
6. Duncan, S.C., Byrnes 13-2 seeks fifth state title in last six years
7. Loganville, Ga., Grayson 15-0 features blue chip DE Robert Nkemdiche (Clemson)
8. Southlake, Texas, Carroll 16-0 Texas A&M-committed QB Kenny Hill leads defending 5A/I champ
9. Austin, Texas, Lake Travis 16-0 set record with fifth straight state title last year
10. Murrieta, Calif., Vista Murrieta 9-5-x reigning CIF-SS Inland champ
11. Tampa, Fla., Plant 15-0-xx four state crowns last six years
12. Louisville, Ky., Trinity 14-0 seven state titles since 03
13. Bellevue, Wash. 14-0 12 players are third-year starters
14. Fort Lauderdale, Fla., St. Thomas Aquinas 10-3 Prep Poll champ in 08 and 10
15. Miami, Fla., Central 14-0-xx first three games vs. Top 10 teams
16. River Ridge, La., John Curtis 14-0 coach J.T. Curtis has 506 wins
17. Olney, Md., Good Counsel 12-0 first three games vs. ranked foes
18. Tulsa, Okla., Union 13-1 four-time defending 6A titlist
19. Las Vegas, Nev., Bishop Gorman 15-1 39 straight wins vs. Nev. teams
20. Matthews, N.C., Butler 11-2 third-year starting QB Riley Ferguson headed to Tennessee
21. Oradell, N.J., Bergen Catholic 8-3 all losses to Top 10 teams last year
22. Baltimore, Md., Gilman 10-1 Michigan commit Henry Poggi (TE-DL) among 13 returning starters
23. Nashville, Tenn., Ensworth 12-1 defending state champ returns 15 starters
24. Cincinnati, Ohio, Moeller 9-4 first five opponents are non-Ohio teams
25. Detroit, Mich., Cass Tech 11-3 four seniors committed to Big Ten schools
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-12, 06:47 PM
All World

noonereal is on a distinguished road
Now that's two NJ teams and one OH team right?
Old 08-10-12, 07:58 AM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Now that's two NJ teams and one OH team right?
I only see Bergen Catholic from NJ. I don't see Don Bosco in the preseason top 25, so who is this second team you're talking about?
Old 08-10-12, 08:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
I only see Bergen Catholic from NJ. I don't see Don Bosco in the preseason top 25, so who is this second team you're talking about?
I stand corrected.

That is Max Prep and Compilation that has 2 NJ teams and 1 OH team.
Old 08-10-12, 09:26 PM
All Yappi

UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
I wish all polls were banned until the 4th week of high school football season. I think sometimes players lose sight of the big picture. Last year, Moe hit 15th in USA after the 7th game of the season and I think stuff like that can prove to be a distraction. Moe is pre-season ranked 14th in USA Today but will get tested early by Gilman (USA Today #16) in the first game of the season.

Just get out on the field and play football and let the chips fall where they may. I would prefer they completely forget national rankings and concentrate on winning their region and then getting to state.

Last edited by UncleBaldy; 08-12-12 at 11:00 PM..
Old 08-12-12, 11:21 AM
homesick

WoodyHayes is on a distinguished road
Trinity to Low

I think they have Trinity wayyyy to low.
Old 08-13-12, 02:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyHayes View Post
I think thy have them over rated.
Old 08-13-12, 08:24 PM
homesick

WoodyHayes is on a distinguished road
Well Guess What

Quote:
X is getting to play them so you will soon find out. Do not drink to much of the blue Kool-Aid.
Old 08-14-12, 12:40 PM
All World

pied
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBaldy View Post
I wish all polls were banned until the 4th week of high school football season. I think sometimes players lose sight of the big picture. Last year, Moe hit 15th in USA after the 7th game of the season and I think stuff like that can prove to be a distraction. Moe is pre-season ranked 14th in USA Today but will get tested early by Gilman (USA Today #16) in the first game of the season.

Just get out on the field and play football and let the chips fall where they may. I would prefer they completely forget national rankings and concentrate on winning their region and then getting to state.
I understand your premise(I think), but think it's funny. You don't want teams to be ranked and then qualify a tough opponent by using a preseason ranking(that you wish didn't exist).
Old 08-14-12, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pied View Post
I understand your premise(I think), but think it's funny. You don't want teams to be ranked and then qualify a tough opponent by using a preseason ranking(that you wish didn't exist).
It actually kind of proves my point. Here you have 2 teams that are ranked close together. If it ends up a blow out, it means that one of the teams is easily over-ranked. If it's a close game, we still won't know because it could mean that both are average. I just hope that when Moe beats Gilman (i'm an optimist) that they don't get overconfident because the fact of the matter is that they really won't know how good they are from just beating one ranked team. If they lose, then they know they have a lot of work to do. We know from the past how good Gilman is, but how many teams have been highly ranked in these polls in the past, only to be shown to be merely average 3-4 weeks into the season.
Old 08-14-12, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Probably because they are from Kentucky which has never been identified as a power football state (TX, FL, CA, OH). Even though they are easily the best program in KY (with Highlands being 2nd), I think this has a tendency to get them over-looked. They will easily be in the top 5 if they win through their schedule.
Old 08-14-12, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

flexz69
12. Louisville, Ky., Trinity 14-0 seven state titles since ‘03 is way too low.
Old 08-15-12, 03:14 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Probably because they are from Kentucky which has never been identified as a power football state (TX, FL, CA, OH). Even though they are easily the best program in KY (with Highlands being 2nd), I think this has a tendency to get them over-looked. They will easily be in the top 5 if they win through their schedule.
I also think that winning 7 state titles since 2003 indicates that the overall level of competition in KY isn't very good. Trinity isn't just winning the state title practically every year; they're winning state championship games by scores like 62-21, 38-0, and 34-10. At some point, it simply gets absurd.
Old 08-15-12, 04:11 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
X is getting to play them so you will soon find out. Do not drink to much of the blue Kool-Aid.
He is not a Cincy St. X guy.
Old 08-15-12, 04:15 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Moe is pre-season ranked 14th in USA Today but will get tested early by Gilman (USA Today #16) in the first game of the season.
That one will be on ESPNU, BTW. It got some pub and hype in the Baltimore paper a little while ago.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,6818503.story

Quote:
Gilman football opener against Archbishop Moeller to be televised
Defending MIAA A Conference champs face stiff challenge in Cincinnati against Ohio powerhouse

Gilman's season-opening football game against Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati, Ohio) on Sunday, August 26, will be televised live on ESPNU and streamed live on ESPN3 as part of the third annual ESPN High School Football Kickoff. Game time is 7 p.m. The game will be played at Kings High School outside Cincinnati.

The game will be the last of 13 ESPN network games played over three days featuring 12 defending state champions. The Greyhounds, who will be appearing on an ESPN network for the first time, are the defending Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference champions.

The ESPN3 live stream of the game will be available at no cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription from Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS TV.

The Gilman-Moeller matchup is also part of the 15th Annual Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown, which includes 42 schools playing 21 games in a 10-day span to open up the prep football season in the Greater Cincinnati area.

Tickets for the game are available online here and will also be available in the Gilman School athletics office. Online tickets carry a $1 per ticket service fee and will be mailed to the purchaser beginning July 16.

Archbishop Moeller has won seven Ohio state championships in football. The school is the alma mater of future Hall of Fame baseball players Ken Griffey, Jr., and Barry Larkin as well as Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner.

The Crusaders went 9-3 last season, falling to archrival St. Xavier in the playoffs to conclude the 2011 campaign.

The Greyhounds (10-1) won the first-ever MIAA A Conference championship game, defeating Calvert Hall, 34-32, in overtime at Johnny Unitas Stadium last November.
Old 08-16-12, 12:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
I also think that winning 7 state titles since 2003 indicates that the overall level of competition in KY isn't very good. Trinity isn't just winning the state title practically every year; they're winning state championship games by scores like 62-21, 38-0, and 34-10. At some point, it simply gets absurd.
While thats true about the level of competition in KY, Trinity plays 60% of their schedule against quality out-of-state competition. Last year they played Brentwood Academy (TN), Montgomery Bell (TN), Moeller, Elder, St. X (all in Cincy and members of the GCL), as well as Indianapolis Cathedral (another quality opponent). This year, they will do it again. They play a quality schedule.
Old 08-16-12, 01:13 AM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Trinity is the real deal and definitely underrated.
Old 08-16-12, 06:28 AM
Cooling Off

twbb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
lol
Old 08-16-12, 06:28 AM
Cooling Off

twbb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
Trinity is the real deal and definitely underrated.
Yeah. Surprised they aren't #1. Not that I've seen any of these other teams except Moeller, I did see Trinity last year. Damn.
Old 08-16-12, 05:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbb View Post
Yeah. Surprised they aren't #1. Not that I've seen any of these other teams except Moeller, I did see Trinity last year. Damn.
I think the reasoning is that they did lose a lot from last year's team. They have a lot of spots to fill.
Old 08-17-12, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
noonereal is the flagbearer for Boxco Nation. He foams at the mouth whenever Trinity is mentioned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: