Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Rate the movie "Black Panther"
10 2 28.57%
9 1 14.29%
8 2 28.57%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 1 14.29%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-18, 11:42 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
"Black Panther"

Rate and review the movie "Black Panther"

T'Challa, after the death of his father, the King of Wakanda, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation to succeed to the throne and take his rightful place as king.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Great movie, and great to see its getting great reviews and breaking box office records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-18, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
It's a little bit over-hyped...but very good nonetheless. Easily in the top 1/3 of the franchise overall.

Kind of a live action Lion King, with Vibranium and a little Narnia tossed into the final battle scene.
Old 02-18-18, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
It's a little bit over-hyped...but very good nonetheless. Easily in the top 1/3 of the franchise overall.

Kind of a live action Lion King, with Vibranium and a little Narnia tossed into the final battle scene.
Hey Fish, is Vibranium anything like Avatars Unobatanium?
Old 02-19-18, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
The media that leans left on the political spectrum is heralding this thing as a cultural milestone. Not sure a Marvel film should be mentioned in the same vain as On the Water Front or Easy Rider.

Last edited by Auggie; 02-19-18 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 01:49 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Not my type of film but looks like it's doing well commercially and critically. Plus it seems to have rattled the cages of the usual suspects. Sounds like a win all the way around.
Old 02-19-18, 03:21 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I look forward to seeing it. I don’t mine the media narrative but it seems movies like this have been made before so I don’t fully understand it. I think more movies with black leads are probably called for, but also no need to go overboard with it.
Old 02-19-18, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I look forward to seeing it. I donít mine the media narrative but it seems movies like this have been made before so I donít fully understand it. I think more movies with black leads are probably called for, but also no need to go overboard with it.
Kind of the way I feel. I think they should give it more than a weekend also to anoint a film as a cultural milestone.
Old 02-19-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Kind of the way I feel. I think they should give it more than a weekend also to anoint a film as a cultural milestone.

Yes and no IMO. I know people in the African American community who have never seen a super hero movie, and donít even watch action movies, who were there Friday morning.

Strictly speaking Marvel movies, the African American turnout is up 21% from the average Marvel movie. And because of that, it had the third highest opening weekend ever.

So while I think itís fair to question its long term viability, it seems clear after even only one weekend that it is a largely influential and impactful movie in the African American community.

Old 02-19-18, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
and in the genre catagory. PB has cross over. He always had a good visual. That's historical.

I think the concern was more about the rest of the cast and setting. Would a near totally black cast sell? Would an African setting sell? People underestimate kids' ability to ignore the adult nonsense and just go enjoy themselves without thinking of "bigger implications." The comic and superhero geek is more about the comic and the superhero than "race" and religion. Theirs is a different cultural grouping.

This movie isn't breaking records with a primarily "black" audience. A pull from a part of the black audience that doesn't traditionally go to superhero movies might be what is putting the numbers over the top but it's the traditional superhero movie going public that's making the base numbers. We'll see for sure when the stat people get done.
Old 02-19-18, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

Itís a very good movie, with numerous positive messages and themes.

That said, ďcultural milestoneĒ is pretty silly...and those who are pushing that tack are pretty dumb, imo.
Old 02-19-18, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
"Black Panther"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
and in the genre catagory. PB has cross over. He always had a good visual. That's historical.

I think the concern was more about the rest of the cast and setting. Would a near totally black cast sell? Would an African setting sell? People underestimate kids' ability to ignore the adult nonsense and just go enjoy themselves without thinking of "bigger implications." The comic and superhero geek is more about the comic and the superhero than "race" and religion. Theirs is a different cultural grouping.

This movie isn't breaking records with a primarily "black" audience. A pull from a part of the black audience that doesn't traditionally go to superhero movies might be what is putting the numbers over the top but it's the traditional superhero movie going public that's making the base numbers. We'll see for sure when the stat people get done.

Agree. Didnít mean to imply it was simply the AA community pushing it up.

I also think thereís something to be said for the soundtrack from Kendrick Lamar also generating interest in the movie, regardless of race. My nerdy white daughter was sitting there dancing in her seat to the music both times we watched the movie.

Old 02-19-18, 06:53 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
It’s a very good movie, with numerous positive messages and themes.

That said, “cultural milestone” is pretty silly...and those who are pushing that tack are pretty dumb, imo.
I wouldn't agree "dumb," nor would I be intimidated if whomever makes these decisions official agreed with it. Just not sure there is an official definition of "cultural milestone" other than something not done before. That can be narrow or wide.

Is it a hard stretch to say the success of this movie indicates a culture has done something it hasn't done before?

Narrowly: have there been any African based, primarily black cast sci-fi movies that have had such an opening night? No? Milestone.

Wider: will this movie eventually be seen as the spark of a revolution of either peace and harmony or of war? Yes? Milestone.

Middle: will this be seen as indication that a wider audience is accepting of a predominantly black cast, regardless that acceptance has been there all along just waiting for proof (which won't really be accepted as proof anymore than a "Black" President was because well, people like to beatch). Yes? Milestone.

Old 02-19-18, 07:02 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I wouldn't agree "dumb," nor would I be intimidated if whomever makes these decisions official agreed with it. Just not sure there is an official definition of "cultural milestone" other than something not done before. That can be narrow or wide.

Is it a hard stretch to say the success of this movie indicates a culture has done something it hasn't done before?

Narrowly: have there been any African based, primarily black cast sci-fi movies that have had such an opening night? No? Milestone.

Wider: will this movie eventually be seen as the spark of a revolution of either peace and harmony or of war? Yes? Milestone.

Middle: will this be seen as indication that a wider audience is accepting of a predominantly black cast, regardless that acceptance has been there all along just waiting for proof (which won't really be accepted as proof anymore than a "Black" President was because well, people like to beatch). Yes? Milestone.

Jar Jar Binks sounded black. Does that count?
Old 02-19-18, 07:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

ďCultural milestoneĒ is dumb. Itís a good comic book movie.

That is all.
Old 02-19-18, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Jar Jar Binks sounded black. Does that count?
for?

Quote:
“Cultural milestone” is dumb. It’s a good comic book movie.

That is all.
I still don't agree, dumb. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that a "comic book" movie could end up having historical significance or that this one might have already provided that for some. Not my place to define for others.

That is all.
Old 02-19-18, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
ďCultural milestoneĒ is dumb. Itís a good comic book movie.

That is all.

I feel like the people who it would be a cultural milestone for, would strongly disagree.

Old 02-19-18, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
I feel like the people who it would be a cultural milestone for, would strongly disagree.

Iím sure they would. That said, I feel badly that their bar for ďcultural milestoneĒ is set so low. Not very encouraging, TBH.
Old 02-20-18, 12:25 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Not my type of film but looks like it's doing well commercially and critically. Plus it seems to have rattled the cages of the usual suspects. Sounds like a win all the way around.
Ben Shapiro seemed extremely rattled by it for some reason. Dude needs to relax.
Old 02-20-18, 02:11 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
$201M in its first weekend is insane. Excited to see it
Old 02-20-18, 08:44 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Ben Shapiro seemed extremely rattled by it for some reason. Dude needs to relax.
I'm a fan of Ben, but he does tend to embarrass himself about stuff like this. Whether that's because he actually cares or because he knows it's an easy way to get views I'm not sure. I remember he did an entire podcast about how Frozen was feminist propaganda aimed at children that I found cringe inducing but was one of his most downloaded episodes.
Old 02-20-18, 09:39 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
It's gonna make a crapload of money and folks are going to see it that would normally never see a marvel/ superhero movie.

Heck, folks are going to see it that never go to the movies.

Any time you can get teenage white kids like my son and 60+ year old church going black ladies. like several of my co-workers, into the same theater, you have something.

No need to wait.
Old 02-20-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Another superhero movie. Meh.
Old 02-20-18, 11:54 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
ep only watches art house or movies that only release at his local hipster hangout.
Old 02-20-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Can’t name the last “art house” movie I’ve seen. I’ve seen two movies the last couple years at the theater and they were both Star Wars movies. Nice try though. Anyway, you don’t think the superhero movie market is a bit oversatirated? Obviously they still make money so I understand why they keep churning them out, I’m just surprised people aren’t tired of them.
Old 02-20-18, 12:05 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I am glad it is doing well and plan to see it at some point. I like the idea of it being based in an African nation.

I do see a lot of films, at home and at the theater. I like B movies, flicks, classic movies, films and cinema.

If we stopped retelling old stories we would have stopped with Greek drama, or certainly by the time Shakespeare was done writing. What makes good film making is telling old stories in new and original ways. I haven't seen this movie yet, but it sounds like they have done just that.
Old 02-20-18, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Canít name the last ďart houseĒ movie Iíve seen. Iíve seen two movies the last couple years at the theater and they were both Star Wars movies. Nice try though. Anyway, you donít think the superhero movie market is a bit oversatirated? Obviously they still make money so I understand why they keep churning them out, Iím just surprised people arenít tired of them.
I don't think that's a word, but perhaps it should be?

I think you could use it to describe the glut of spoof movies that dominated the early 2000s. No one needed Scary Movie 1-12.

We'll never see anything to top the days of Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Airplane, Top Secret and the Naked Gun.

back on topic though...

I'm an old comics reader/nerd so at this point I can't get enough of the marvel stuff. They are putting things on screen no nerd ever imagined. And now that Disney will have rights to all the X-men stuff? I should be good for another 20 years.

The DC stuff is trash except Wonder Woman. The last JL movie I skipped all together.

Considering Black Panther is gonna easily top 500 million if not gross far more, why would they stop?
Old 02-20-18, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

Obviously the studios shouldn’t stop, I’m just wondering why people aren’t tired of them.
Old 02-20-18, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Obviously the studios shouldnít stop, Iím just wondering why people arenít tired of them.

At least as far as Marvel is concerned, they switch up the genre so people DONíT get tired of them. One will have the feel of a heist movie, One a political thriller, etc.

This one in general has a different feel from any superhero movie that has come before.

Old 02-20-18, 09:54 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am glad it is doing well and plan to see it at some point. I like the idea of it being based in an African nation.
EP doesn't like movies based in a $hithole.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: