Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 07-12-19, 07:14 AM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Yasar Dogu

For those of you who don't know Yasar Dogu, he's a standup comedian and a very good friend of mine. He's got tendonitis in his left elbow from playing pickleball and I'm starting a gofundme thing for him. Actually, none of that is true. I don't know how to start a gofundme thing, and Yasar Dogu is actually a really good international freestyle tournament that is part of the ranking series for the World Championship. USA normally sends their best to this event as a warmup (and ranking points) for the World.

Here's the headline for this morning. Yianni bets Retherford in round 1 (9-5), wins round 2 (13-2) and sits in the semis. For those who don't follow FS, Yianni beat Retherford in the US Open, but Retherford won 2 straight in the WTT to capture the top spot for the Worlds. Yianni's coach has disputed the controversial 2nd win and is challenging it, in what has become the longest drawn-out challenge in the history of sports.

Last edited by bdhof; 07-12-19 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-19, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Other USA entries:

57kg none
61kg none
70kg Green lost Rd 1, no repechage
74kg Burroughs hasn't wrestled yet
79kg Dieringer in semis
86kg PDIII hasn't wrestled yet
92kg Cox hasn't wrestled yet
97kg Snyder hasn't wrestled yet
125kg Gwiz in semis

Last edited by bdhof; 07-12-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

And I'll be traveling today, so there won't be any updates from me until late today or tomorrow.
Old 07-12-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Yianni and Ringer advance to finals. Yianni was down 0-9 at the break and came back to 8-9 and then a win by DQ (too many cautions for stalling).
Old 07-12-19, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

Burroughs draws away (blind draw) from CHAMIZO.
Old 07-12-19, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Gwiz joins Yianni and Ringer in finals.
Old 07-12-19, 09:38 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
For those of you who don't know Yasar Dogu, he's a standup comedian and a very good friend of mine. He's got tendonitis in his left elbow from playing pickleball and I'm starting a gofundme thing for him. Actually, none of that is true. I don't know how to start a gofundme thing, and Yasar Dogu is actually a really good international freestyle tournament that is part of the ranking series for the World Championship. USA normally sends their best to this event as a warmup (and ranking points) for the World.

Here's the headline for this morning. Yianni bets Retherford in round 1 (9-5), wins round 2 (13-2) and sits in the semis. For those who don't follow FS, Yianni beat Retherford in the US Open, but Retherford won 2 straight in the WTT to capture the top spot for the Worlds. Yianni's coach has disputed the controversial 2nd win and is challenging it, in what has become the longest drawn-out challenge in the history of sports.

Since crooked bdhof (Big Dumpster Heap Of Fake-news) is clueless on my good friend Yessir Doggie, here's what I remember about him off the top of my head...

Yaşar Doğu (1913 – 8 January 1961), was a renowned Turkish World and Olympic champion sports wrestler in Greco-Roman and Freestyle.

He was born in the village Karlı of Kavak district in Samsun province to a family of Circassian origin. He began wrestling at his age of 15 in yağlı güreş (oil wrestling) and continued in this folk sports until he entered the military service. His sports wrestling career started 1936 in Ankara as he was discovered by the sports wrestler Celal Atik.

Yaşar Doğu was admitted to the national team in 1939. He participated at the European Championships held that year in Oslo, Norway and became silver medalist in Greko-Roman style, his only participation at any international competition missing the gold medal. He became Balkan, European and World champion besides Olympic gold medalist. Yaşar Doğu wrestled 47 times in the national team between 1939 and 1951, of which only one he lost. 33 of his matches he won by near-fall. All his 46 winning matches lasted 372 minutes in total, whereas the normal duration should be 690 minutes. After retiring from the active sports, he served as the trainer of the national team.

He married to Hayriye on 15 October 1937. Yaşar Doğu gave the name Gazanfer to one of his sons in admiration to his teammate Gazanfer Bilge. His son Gazanfer Doğu was educated in the US, and became a lecturer of physical education and sports at Abant Izzet Baysal University in Bolu.[1]

Yaşar Doğu suffered a heart attack during the 1955 championships held in Sweden, where he was as the trainer of Turkey's wrestling team. He died on 8 January 1961 in Ankara following a second heart attack.
Old 07-12-19, 10:35 AM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
There is some good wrestling going on.
Old 07-12-19, 11:56 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yianni and Ringer advance to finals. Yianni was down 0-9 at the break and came back to 8-9 and then a win by DQ (too many cautions for stalling).
Musukaev (who Yianni beat) literally couldn't get up off the mat at the end. He's also a former Russian nationals runner up, Junior world medalist and Yarygin medalist, so that's a good win for Yianni.

Gwiazdowski will be an underdog against hometown hero Taha Akgul, who is a multiple time world/Olympic gold medalist but has taken three losses in the past year. Yianni has Haji Ali, another former Russian who wrestles for Brunei (probably a toss up). And Ringer has Gulaev, another (you guessed it) former Russian who was a U23 silver in 2017 and U23 5th last year. Ringer will be a favorite there
Old 07-12-19, 12:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Burroughs has a decent draw, a semis match against Kuramagomedov could pose some problems though. Chamizo should roll through for another match against Jordan

Pat Downey has Punia from India, who was a Junior runner up last year. The bottom half of his bracket is pretty loaded, but Pat got the good draw in the top.

J'Den Cox is in a bracket with nobody of note, would be shocked if he loses.

Kyle Snyder should win his first match to face Olinyk (Hungary, formerly Ukraine), who Snyder has beaten before. A finals match with Alborov is a tough match, believe Kyle has lost to him before
Old 07-12-19, 02:50 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Brunei is a very little and very rich country in Asia
Old 07-12-19, 07:45 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Pat Downey guaranteed in an interview earlier today that he will be on the Olympic team next year.
Old 07-12-19, 10:01 PM
Varsity

Cjlewis01 is on a distinguished road
The Yanni comeback was incredible. If a step out rule is ever implemented in folkstyle that match would be a perfect example of how to call it.
Old 07-13-19, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
Pat Downey guaranteed in an interview earlier today that he will be on the Olympic team next year.
Well, that settled that. So unlike PDIII to lack humility.
Old 07-13-19, 08:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And they'll meet in the finals. Not sure how many times they've wreslted, but I believe Burroughs holds the edge over the 2x World champ. Burroughs wins 3 matches (10-0, 6-4 and 12-2).

Last edited by bdhof; 07-13-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Retherford defaults out of the tourney after hurting his knee in the Yianni match. He hurt it early on in the match but finished the match.
Old 07-13-19, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

PDIII sits in the bronze match. He didn't win any yet. There were only four in his 1/2 bracket. He lost to Punia, India, ranked #9 in the World in round 1.
Old 07-13-19, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Cox sits in the finals after a couple of 11-0 matches.
Old 07-13-19, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

Snyder sits in the finals after a 10-0 win in round 1.
Old 07-13-19, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Kyle Snyder should win his first match to face Olinyk (Hungary, formerly Ukraine), who Snyder has beaten before. A finals match with Alborov is a tough match, believe Kyle has lost to him before
Alborov loses 10-0 to some Iranian.
Old 07-13-19, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Since crooked bdhof (Big Dumpster Heap Of Fake-news) is clueless on my good friend Yessir Doggie, here's what I remember about him off the top of my head...

Yaşar Doğu (1913 – 8 January 1961), was a renowned Turkish World and Olympic champion sports wrestler in Greco-Roman and Freestyle.

He was born in the village Karlı of Kavak district in Samsun province to a family of Circassian origin. He began wrestling at his age of 15 in yağlı güreş (oil wrestling) and continued in this folk sports until he entered the military service. His sports wrestling career started 1936 in Ankara as he was discovered by the sports wrestler Celal Atik.

Yaşar Doğu was admitted to the national team in 1939. He participated at the European Championships held that year in Oslo, Norway and became silver medalist in Greko-Roman style, his only participation at any international competition missing the gold medal. He became Balkan, European and World champion besides Olympic gold medalist. Yaşar Doğu wrestled 47 times in the national team between 1939 and 1951, of which only one he lost. 33 of his matches he won by near-fall. All his 46 winning matches lasted 372 minutes in total, whereas the normal duration should be 690 minutes. After retiring from the active sports, he served as the trainer of the national team.

He married to Hayriye on 15 October 1937. Yaşar Doğu gave the name Gazanfer to one of his sons in admiration to his teammate Gazanfer Bilge. His son Gazanfer Doğu was educated in the US, and became a lecturer of physical education and sports at Abant Izzet Baysal University in Bolu.[1]

Yaşar Doğu suffered a heart attack during the 1955 championships held in Sweden, where he was as the trainer of Turkey's wrestling team. He died on 8 January 1961 in Ankara following a second heart attack.

Good info on Yasar. Here he is playing pickleball (blue shorts). Note that he switched from left handed to right handed after tendonitis set in on his left elbow.
Old 07-13-19, 11:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Alborov loses 10-0 to some Iranian.
Iranian was a U23 bronze last year in the same bracket at Kollin Moore.

Pat Downey has got to get better in the next two months if he wants to win a match. You can't lose to guys like Punia- he's won one tourney in the last three years, and it was Junior Asians.
Old 07-13-19, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

Yianni wins finals by FF
Ringer wins 4-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-19, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Yasar Dogu

Gwiz loses to Akgul 5-1
Akgul has an Olympic gold and two World golds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-19, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Gwiz locks up #4 seed in Worlds.
Old 07-13-19, 07:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Gwiz locks up #4 seed in Worlds.
Puts him on the same side of returning world champ Petriashvili, puts him opposite Deng (world silver, beat Gwiz at worlds last year) and Akgul (who he just lost to). The two top guys returning that will be random draws in are Hadi (Iran) and Khizriev (Russia). If Gwiz can avoid drawing either of those guys in his quarter he has a decent shot of qualifying the weight.
Old 07-13-19, 08:05 PM
Varsity

Abdullah is on a distinguished road
Dieringer takes gold at 79kg. Good to see as he is getting raw deal with USA wrestling's coddling of Dake.

Also congratulations to Yianni, Burroughs, Snyder, and Cox for their victories.

Alhamdulillah
Old 07-14-19, 06:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Dieringer takes gold at 79kg. Good to see as he is getting raw deal with USA wrestling's coddling of Dake.

Also congratulations to Yianni, Burroughs, Snyder, and Cox for their victories.

Alhamdulillah
Personally, I don't think Ringer's getting a raw deal. Team USA wants their best on the team, so they have an injury clause for returning world medalists. Dake hasn't wrestled in almost a year, so he's obviously injured. Now, he raised some eyebrows by postponing the Ringer match (actually the date is set by Team USA) in mid August but is going on a trip to wrestle in Spain next week. I don't really care. I want the best on our team. If that's Dake, then I want Dake. If that's Ringer, then I want Ringer. BTW, some wrestling forums go page after page on this topic. Others go page after page on the Yianni/Zain controversy and protest. In Ohio we go page after page on Jim Jordan (this being my first mention of him).
Old 07-14-19, 06:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
He goes 0-2 in the Yasar, losing to #9 in the world and some unranked guy. Now, the #9 guy, Punia, India, should move up to a top 4 seed in the world with Yasar points. He doesn't look like an Olympian yet. Altho, a few months ago I never would have thought he'd be on our world team.
Old 07-14-19, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

CHAMIZO DF's to Burroughs in the finals. He's locked up the #1 seed in the Worlds and Burroughs has locked up the #2 (same side as the Ruskie).