Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-27-16, 04:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Paint on the Wall is on a distinguished road
The 2016 Nelsonville-York Buckeyes

Not sure their are many Southeastern Ohio folks on this forum but I am so......

After a historically bad 1-9 season coach Rusty Richards (who previously called plays for the Trimble Tomcats) takes over the helms.
The Buckeyes dealt with quite a lot last season. Coaches arguing on the sidelines so loud you could hear it in the stands and the final nail in the coffin, head coach Dave Boston Jr getting into a fist fight at halftime in the locker room with an assistant (in front of the kids).
This years edition of the Buckeyes look to move forward and move on from last season. They have a rough schedule and that won't help but the boys have been working their butts off all off-season and are looking to take back the TVC-OHIO!

Week 1 Trimble (Home)
Trimble is the Buckeyes biggest rivalry. Trimble was stung by the Buckeyes at home last season and look for some payback but are down a little this year. The Bucks are the favorites in this one but it's NY/Trimble and once the ball is kicked off you just never know.

Week 2 Newark Catholic (home),
NY lost a heart breaker in OT last year and will be looking to send the Green wave home with their heads hung low this season. This has been a very good series over the last few years and it's a game I look forward to.

Week 3 Liberty Center (Away),
LC showed the Buckeyes they still had a lot of work to do last season. I think this may be a game the Bucks lose but coach Richards and the team will do their best to prove me wrong.

Week 4 River Valley (away, league game) The Raiders lost most of their starters on both sides of the ball. I think NY puts up big numbers on the Raiders this year.

Week 5, Logan (Away),
This will be the final year the Buckeyes and Chieftains play for a while. I look for this to be a good game. I think the Chieftains will be more physical than the Buckeyes and will have enough depth on the D-line to keep pressure on Buckeye Senior QB Hunter Edwards. It's on the road but it's only a few minutes up 33 so expect all of Buckeye Nation to come out for this one.

Week 6, Meigs (Home, League game), Meigs should be very good this year. I don't think they will make the playoffs but they will be tough none the less. After facing Logan I think this game will really test the Buckeyes fortitude.

Week 7, Wellston (Away, League game), This is another game where I think the Buckeyes put up crooked numbers. Wellston always seems to have some potential but never ever live up to it. Them getting beat by Jackson week 1 every year can't help much lol

Week 8, Alexander (Home, League game),
The Mighty Spartans had a historical season last year under coach Alex Penrod (Logan grad). They lost 22 seniors to graduation so I expect a rebuilding year this season. Having said that, Coach Penrod gets more from his kids than anyone I've ever seen except for maybe Trimbles coach Phil Fairs. I think this game will be a nail biter.

Week 9, Vinton County (Away, League game),
Vinton County is in the mist of yet another coaching change so I don't expect them to give the Bucks much of a game this year. I think the Buckeyes put up big numbers in this one.

Week 10, Athens (Home, League game), This game should be for the league Championship in my opinion. NY and Athens have had some great games over the years, especially since Athens joined the TVC in 2007. Athens dominated the series in the Joe Burrow years and last year NY limped into the Plains with almost as many kids injured as they had in uniform. Athens will have a big physical O-line and NY will have to get creative to get pressure in Athens backfield. Call me crazy, but I think the Bucks beat Athens, win the TVC-OHIO and put some more paint on the wall!

I know that looking at a team that is coming off a 1-9 season and expecting them to turn it around in one year seems crazy, but I know these kids and I know what they went through last season. I can't see the Bucks getting more than 7 wins this year but a 7-3 season would be considered a great success. I feel like that if the Buckeyes can sneak into the playoffs healthy, they can get a win or 2.

This is just one guy who has spent years in the community who knows these kids and knows what they are capable of who is giving his opinion on this season.

GO BUCKS GO! PAINT ON THE WALL!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-16, 05:08 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
I think NY will beat Alexander, Trimble, River Valley, Vinton, and Wellston. Liberty Center, Newark Catholic, Logan, Athens, and Meigs should be tough games. I will guess NY goes 6-4 and makes the playoffs. Tough schedule
Old 07-27-16, 07:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
I think NY will beat Alexander, Trimble, River Valley, Vinton, and Wellston. Liberty Center, Newark Catholic, Logan, Athens, and Meigs should be tough games. I will guess NY goes 6-4 and makes the playoffs. Tough schedule
It is definitely a tough schedule.
The Buckeyes pick up Waverly and Minford to replace Liberty Center and Logan next season.
Old 07-28-16, 09:46 AM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
Hope the Bucks have a good year this fall. The team had too much to deal with last year. Things look to be worked out and the real NY will show up this fall.
Old 07-30-16, 07:03 AM
Junior Varsity

The Buckeyes scrimmage
Oak Hill, New Lex, and Waverly this year.
Old 07-30-16, 09:18 AM
All District

Haven't heard too much about NL lately.
Old 07-30-16, 09:32 AM
Varsity

SAM6482 is on a distinguished road
I look for NY to get a win off one of their larger D2 or D3 opponents this year and pick up enough points with that win and their other league games to make the play-offs.
Old 07-30-16, 12:23 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
4-6 with a shot at 5-5 if injuries don't get them.
Old 08-12-16, 02:00 PM
Junior Varsity

The Buckeyes won their first scrimmage 5-0 over Oak Hill. They owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
They beat New Lex 2-1 this morning.
The 2 things I saw this morning was that one of our corners got beat badly a couple times and we over pursued several times on stretch plays.
New Lex did some things really well.
The Buckeyes have one more scrimmage against Waverly and then it will be time to take down them Tomkittens!
Old 08-12-16, 07:18 PM
Freshman

Ranger Dad is on a distinguished road
Sounds good everything I hear from buckeye land. My son grew up playing with those boys. That team has alot of talent. I could easily see 8-2 .If they put it together look out. As always Go Bucks
Old 08-15-16, 12:11 PM
All District

Hope the Buckeyes do well
Old 08-15-16, 12:50 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
How is the new coach working out ? No more fist fights ?
Old 08-15-16, 01:05 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint on the Wall View Post
Not sure their are many Southeastern Ohio folks on this forum but I am so......
As an OU grad I spent a lot of great years in Southeastern Ohio and observed/student taught in a number of schools in the region and still keep an eye on them to this day athletics wise. I was at schools in Alexander, Athens, and Federal Hocking districts primarily.

Several strong schools from Athens County with a few down years mixed in here and there.

Love school traditions-can you fill me in on what "Paint on the Wall" means/back story?
Old 08-15-16, 01:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
Coach Richards has installed discipline back into the program. Not the authoritarian style that the Boston had but the kind that makes the kids stronger in Character and commitment. His love and enthusiasm for the game and the kids is showing. I haven't seen so many kids working so hard in the off-season in many many years at Nelsonville-York.
These kids absolutely love playing for coach Richards. He has put together a great staff of coaches who all work together for the good of the kids and the program.
He has put the Pride back into Buckeye Pride.
Old 08-15-16, 01:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
And no more fist fights...
Old 08-15-16, 01:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
As an OU grad I spent a lot of great years in Southeastern Ohio and observed/student taught in a number of schools in the region and still keep an eye on them to this day athletics wise. I was at schools in Alexander, Athens, and Federal Hocking districts primarily.

Several strong schools from Athens County with a few down years mixed in here and there.

Love school traditions-can you fill me in on what "Paint on the Wall" means/back story?
Nelsonville-York York has a wall that lists all the TVC championships and playoff appearances on it. So every year the kids want to add another championship and "put paint on the wall"
Next time I'm at the school I'll take a picture of it and post it.
Old 08-15-16, 01:21 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nelsonville-York York has a wall that lists all the TVC championships and playoff appearances on it. So every year the kids want to add another championship and "put paint on the wall"
Next time I'm at the school I'll take a picture of it and post it.
That's a great tradition. Shows that there is a strong program in place since there is probably a long list of years for both accomplishments. I remember having a few classes with Ben Roby (sp?) while in Athens. He played for NY and then the Bobcats if memory serves me right.
Old 08-15-16, 01:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
That's a great tradition. Shows that there is a strong program in place since there is probably a long list of years for both accomplishments. I remember having a few classes with Ben Roby (sp?) while in Athens. He played for NY and then the Bobcats if memory serves me right.
Ben was a Bobcat for 5 years. He is an elementary teacher at Nelsonville-York these days.
Old 08-15-16, 01:45 PM
Varsity

SAM6482 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Look for NY to beat D2 Logan this year.
Old 08-17-16, 09:50 AM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
who are the buckeyes that went on to become beavers?
Old 08-17-16, 12:11 PM
All American

hsfanOnRC is on a distinguished road
Go Tomcats! I'd like to se NY go 9-1. That way My Tomcats get more points!
Old 08-17-16, 12:32 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah one dude was ross flowers...who were others?
Old 08-17-16, 12:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfanOnRC View Post
Go Tomcats! I'd like to se NY go 9-1. That way My Tomcats get more points!
Your Tomcats are going to get beat by a few touchdowns lol
We have to much speed and depth for the outcome to end any other way!
Hope you go 9-1
Old 08-17-16, 12:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjewards View Post
Oh yeah one dude was ross flowers...who were others?
I couldn't tell you to be honest.
Old 08-17-16, 12:53 PM
All American

hsfanOnRC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Your Tomcats are going to get beat by a few touchdowns lol
We have to much speed and depth for the outcome to end any other way!
Hope you go 9-1
So what's the spread on the game?
I'd like to see the Tomcats go to the playoffs this year, but it might be a long shot.
Good luck. Hope you make the playoffs.
Old 08-17-16, 02:21 PM
Freshman

Ranger Dad is on a distinguished road
I think NY wins by 3 touchdowns. The kids seem to have a chip on their shoulder .
Old 08-17-16, 03:06 PM
All American

I thought NY would roll Trimble this year but Trimble looks to have a lot of speed
Trimble vs Chesapeake 0-0. This was skill vs skill defensive battle
NY vs Oak Hill 2-0
Trimble vs Oak Hill 7-6

NY 35
Trimble 28
Old 08-17-16, 06:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Dad View Post
I think NY wins by 3 touchdowns. The kids seem to have a chip on their shoulder .
3 Touchdowns seem about right.
Old 08-17-16, 10:59 PM
All American

Hope NY goes 4-0 in the non league.
Athens is like Logan, absolutely zero pass defense. Hopefully we can put pressure on the QB or it will turn into track meets
Old 08-18-16, 07:05 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Hope NY goes 4-0 in the non league.
Athens is like Logan, absolutely zero pass defense. Hopefully we can put pressure on the QB or it will turn into track meets
I'd love to see the Bucks go 4-0 in non league but Newark Catholic should very good and Liberty Center will be an uphill battle.

The Bulldog DB's looked awful week 1 against Logan last year but got better as the season went on.