Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-09-18, 09:54 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Reviving Cross Country in the Inner City

A group of people comprised of former coaches from Cincinnati public schools and former runners have been lobbying the powers that be in the Cincinnati public schools to get cross country going again in the Cincinnati public schools. The original goal was to have a CMAC league meet by 2019. That goal has been exceeded. A Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference (CMAC) meet has now been scheduled for next Monday, October 15 at Withrow high school. Joshua Hardin, Athletics Manager for the Cincinnati public schools, has signed on to the effort and announced the league meet for next Monday at 5:00 p.m.

Last edited by Lancermania; 10-09-18 at 10:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-18, 10:17 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
That's great news.
Old 10-09-18, 10:28 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
There is no mention of the meet on the CMAC website. For the fall the only league sports listed are Football and girls volleyball. I think that this is the first year in several years that football has been in the league. I think that over the past three or so years the schools that comprise the CMAC (Aiken, Gable Montessori, Hughes, Oyler, Riverview East, Shroder, Taft, Western Hills, and Woodward) combined with schools from Dayton to form the Southwest Ohio Public League. Once the SOPL folded, those teams played football in the CMAC. Did any of those schools have a cross country team that competed independently?

It's great that there is a movement to get the sport going again. The key is going to be getting coaches. Also, too often in the inner city schools kids get in with the wrong crowd or develop bad habits and behaviors prior to getting involved in sports. It happens well before high school, though. Along with getting good coaches, it will also be key to get kids into the sport in elementary school and junior high school.

Where at Withrow is there space for the meet? I can envision that there are some baseball fields behind the track & football fields but that hardly seems to be enough space for a full 5000 meet. There is some space in front of the Regency condos, where the former J's restaurant used to be, and that property abuts the Withrow property. Is that area going to be used? Unless I am not remembering the property accurately it seems that there would be a better venue for the meet.
Old 10-09-18, 01:30 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
The only thing less reliable than the kids in the inner city, are the parents and administrations of the schools. I coached for two seasons and when the AD got fired, the new AD never got back in contact with me. I contacted him a few times, but nothing came back. I had started to get kids interested. They seemed to like it. However, I'm sure I never had 5 kids show up for a saturday meet. I wanted to hold meets every Tuesday and Thursday cuz I could only get enough kids for the team on weekdays and I figured other schools had the same problem. Couldn't get that past the talking stage. Good athletes with great potential for many things. Good kids as most kids are.

I had contacted some coaches of established programs and started getting interest for meets where they would bring there slowest 10 kids and run against us. My kids had no clue what good or bad was. We actually had a nice place that could hold a pretty good meet with a few teams. Training was brutal. My son in MS could train much more than the kids I had. I got them to run a full 5k without walking. There is a gold mine of talent there and good kids that deserve good coaching. They loved the meets when they were there. The problem was, the bus might not show up, or just not enough kids to score in the meet.

They need to start out with meets that run a mile and a half or maybe two miles and build up from there. I loved it, but no one else cared. It was just a way to get into the OHSAA.
Old 10-09-18, 07:00 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
"It was just a way to get into the OHSAA."

I am curious about what you meant when you said this.
Old 10-09-18, 07:14 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Prospective member schools are required to sponsor two sports each season...fall, winter, and spring. Finding some students to run a few times a week is a cheap way to fill this requirement in the fall compared to the cost of football, volleyball, soccer, or golf.
Old 10-09-18, 09:19 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
exactly...They wanted to be in the OHSAA for basketball. The thing is, they could be very good in Track and Field if they put their efforts there. CC was just to get 5 kids out there for the minimum number of meets to qualify. These kids could use a place to be after school instead of just hanging out. Too many have siblings they have to take care of. The family dynamics are just amazing and sad at times. For every Inner City kid, there is his/her equal in personality and attitude in rural and suburban schools. Money should not be the determination of the education and opportunities that any of us get. Unfortunately, that's exactly the case.
Old 10-09-18, 10:40 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
My son runs for Columbus North International School, and they have all those problems psychodad. Last year when he was a freshman they had a total of five guys but never had five at a meet. This year they have had five at most meets. My son came off an injury and did a tempo run for his first race of the season last Saturday. It was the first time in school history that they had 8 or more. The coach is just hoping the top two can make it for the city league meet, because they have run mid 16s and mid 17s. If those two can be there, the team could be top three, if not... His coach has done a good job since taking over last August, with two freshman and no one else.

Last track season they had a total of five boys and six girls out for track. There were days when I gave 80% of the boys track team a ride home after practice. My son went there for 7th and 8th grade as well, and has never run a relay. The school has only been around since 2010, but has had some success. If they had an activity bus the HS team could have 15-20 boys most likely. If they had a track they could easily see some success. It is about resources. If they had half the resources we have in Dublin they could field solid XC and track teams. Particularly for boys, as there is no football team.

But I will give (Columbus) CCS credit for one thing. They will have between 14 and 17 teams on the line tomorrow for the championship. Several of the schools host their own invitationals in XC. They never let the sport wither and die as happened in Cincinnati. A much different situation than when I coached in Cincinnati City Schools.
Old 10-15-18, 09:08 AM
Lancers lead the way!

The day has arrived. The hour is fast approaching for the first Annual CMAC (Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference) cross country championship. Here are the detail of the event with a map of the course at Withrow high school. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ta...om?projector=1 [url] Click on the link that says CMAC XC. docx

Last edited by Lancermania; 10-15-18 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-16-18, 09:26 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Twenty one girls started the first annual girls CMAC meet. Twenty nine boys started the first annual boys CMAC meet. Taft (West End) won the first CMAC girls cross country championship while Aiken (College Hill) claimed the first CMAC boys championship. It is hoped that this meet will help grow the Cincinnati city schools who sponsor cross country. There was a banner hanging at the meet that showed fourteen Cincinnati public school. Withrow and Walnut Hills are currently in the ECC while Clark Montessori is in the MVC. That leave eleven school for the CMAC. Six of the eleven were at this meet and scored as followed in the boys meet. Aiken 9, Taft 26, Woodward 33, Gamble 37, Hughes 40, Oyler 46. Only three runners scored and Hughes and Oyler had the minimum required for scoring.

Last edited by Lancermania; 10-16-18 at 12:59 PM..
Old 10-16-18, 12:26 PM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Only three runners scored
I have never heard of this before in HS. Can any meet set the number? Say a meet wanted to reward deep teams could the meet score the top 10 of each team?
Old 10-16-18, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
I have never heard of this before in HS. Can any meet set the number? Say a meet wanted to reward deep teams could the meet score the top 10 of each team?
The rule book says (Rule 9-2-3): "If fewer than five competitors of teams finish, or other number specified by the games committee, the places of all members of that team shall be disregarded and the team scores re-ranked. By state association adoption, a modified scoring system may be used."

That's somewhat open-ended. The games committee appears to have some leeway in deciding how many runners must score for a team to be recognized and scored as such.
Old 10-16-18, 04:19 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
The rule book says (Rule 9-2-3): "If fewer than five competitors of teams finish, or other number specified by the games committee, the places of all members of that team shall be disregarded and the team scores re-ranked. By state association adoption, a modified scoring system may be used."

That's somewhat open-ended. The games committee appears to have some leeway in deciding how many runners must score for a team to be recognized and scored as such.
The most common way that I've seen alternative scoring used is this:
1)All runners are ranked according to their finish,and teams with 5-7 runners are scored first.Runners beyond seven on a team are not scored.

2) Any incomplete team will receive points equal to the points of the last runner scored times the number of runners missing. (Awkwardly stated by me.)

Example: If 50 actual runners are scored in a race, and team A has only three runners, the other two missing runners will each score as a 50.
In case of any ties, it would seem fair that the team with more runners would win.