Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-18, 07:51 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Yep. I guess they missed the announcement before the game to stay off the field after the game...of course they make that announcement at any tournament game they've ever been to so don't know how they could.

And God forbid they clean snow off their seat...I bet they pay someone to clean off their car too.
No, they didn't miss the announcement....don't you know? The announcement to stay off the field doesn't apply to them. I'm also sure they looked into filing law suits due to having to wipe snow off their seats.

Lol, just kidding, nobody can be that arrogant....can they?
Old 02-23-18, 07:55 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
It helped that Massillon crowd back then thought they could actually win a state title on the field, it took several decades before that fantasy was put to rest.
Yes, we stupidly thought we could beat a team comprised of the best football players from 5 states.
Old 02-23-18, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Hilscher-Clarke is essentially saying they're going to file suit if it isn't resolved by the end of next week.
They've also let it be known that they plan on being very LOUD about it. They want everyone to know the Hall of Fame isn't paying their bills. While The Rep has printed a couple stories about it, they are the "Official Newspaper of the Hall of Fame".
Old 02-23-18, 09:10 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
30 years ago...all games drew better back then. You aren't seeing those numbers again.

I believe the Akron Rubber Bowl has that beat anyway.
It was common to put a small school game with the D1 game just for the sake of logistics.

However, back then, there was so many more reasons for better attendance. I don't think people cared more or less back than compared to today. It's just there's so much more to pull your attention. Cable was in its infancy. The internet didn't exist. Live HD television wasn't possible. Cell phones were a sci-fi creation not really seen in normal life. And socializing meant actually meeting together.

So, actually going to the game was the only way to really see the game. And see it well. And it was the thing to do in towns across the country. And with how rare it was for a school to even make the playoffs back in the 70s and early 80s, it makes sense that it was a huge accomplishment that instantly amped up fan interest.

Today's 32-teams-per-division playoffs where over 25% of teams qualify means it's not the excitement it was in the past. Whoever qualifies, someone has to win it. And teams that keep repeating start to grow numb to it over the years. Been there-done that.

As long as there's live TV, though, we'll never see the numbers seriously rebound. And what's worse, now that the can of worms are opened, there's really no going back. Take away TV, and fans won't suddenly flock to games, they'll simply tune out altogether. And it's not the diehards that is the issue. It's the fringe fans who don't know the difference between a football and a baseball showing up to support their school during remarkable run or wanting to tune in to watch on television. Those fans care little to be forced into attending something they previously saw for free.

Only new teams or teams years since their last title appearance are going to draw.

Fresh blood, not blue blood will boost attendance at the finals.
Old 02-23-18, 09:19 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Yes, we stupidly thought we could beat a team comprised of the best football players from 5 states.
So what's the excuse for Massillon not winning state the other 45 years since the start of the playoff system?
#FakeStateTitles

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 02-23-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 09:44 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
They've also let it be known that they plan on being very LOUD about it. They want everyone to know the Hall of Fame isn't paying their bills. While The Rep has printed a couple stories about it, they are the "Official Newspaper of the Hall of Fame".
You guys must be mistaken, my2sense says everything is peachy.
Old 02-23-18, 10:01 PM
All American

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fans?

Cincy wishes they drew like the Browns.

Laughable was the word used to accurately describe the fans.

Attendance wasn’t mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-18, 01:46 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
Boy I hope so. All props to Ms. Matas and the Rep for doing really good reporting now, but the earlier stuff was horrid.

This CAN have a good resolution with some smart decisions. Lots of opportunity for the county if it can be done right. Stagg Bowl, NFL Draft. The Port Authority needs to be very very smart about not letting one person ruin it -- remember he is not in control of every lever of government and LLCs are just that, corporations subject to law and not under anyone's thumb.
Old 02-24-18, 05:55 AM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
It was common to put a small school game with the D1 game just for the sake of logistics.

However, back then, there was so many more reasons for better attendance. I don't think people cared more or less back than compared to today. It's just there's so much more to pull your attention. Cable was in its infancy. The internet didn't exist. Live HD television wasn't possible. Cell phones were a sci-fi creation not really seen in normal life. And socializing meant actually meeting together.

So, actually going to the game was the only way to really see the game. And see it well. And it was the thing to do in towns across the country. And with how rare it was for a school to even make the playoffs back in the 70s and early 80s, it makes sense that it was a huge accomplishment that instantly amped up fan interest.

Today's 32-teams-per-division playoffs where over 25% of teams qualify means it's not the excitement it was in the past. Whoever qualifies, someone has to win it. And teams that keep repeating start to grow numb to it over the years. Been there-done that.

As long as there's live TV, though, we'll never see the numbers seriously rebound. And what's worse, now that the can of worms are opened, there's really no going back. Take away TV, and fans won't suddenly flock to games, they'll simply tune out altogether. And it's not the diehards that is the issue. It's the fringe fans who don't know the difference between a football and a baseball showing up to support their school during remarkable run or wanting to tune in to watch on television. Those fans care little to be forced into attending something they previously saw for free.

Only new teams or teams years since their last title appearance are going to draw.

Excellent Post!
Old 02-24-18, 07:21 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All props to Ms. Matas and the Rep for doing really good reporting.

This CAN have a good resolution with some smart decisions. Lots of opportunity for the county if it can be done right. Stagg Bowl, NFL Draft.
Your positivity will not be welcomed by many of the losers here who can only hope others will fail so they can feel a little better about their own miserable existence.

The Rep just ran a front page article outlining the latest info. Don't know what else they can do for now. But they will get called names no matter what.

Some good people are working on the problem. Let's see what happens. I for one hope it all works out and something that will benefit the entire region will emerge. But hey that makes me a bad guy
Old 02-24-18, 08:24 AM
All District

Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
Here's one for ya....McKinley Massillon 101st game play off after a double OT loss in the 100th game to Massillon week before Josh McDaniel's missed the extra point they drew over 40,000 at the old rubber bowl
Old 02-24-18, 08:34 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How dare you bring logic and reason to this forum!
Old 02-24-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Boy I hope so. All props to Ms. Matas and the Rep for doing really good reporting now, but the earlier stuff was horrid.

This CAN have a good resolution with some smart decisions. Lots of opportunity for the county if it can be done right. Stagg Bowl, NFL Draft. The Port Authority needs to be very very smart about not letting one person ruin it -- remember he is not in control of every lever of government and LLCs are just that, corporations subject to law and not under anyone's thumb.
Let's hope so. The point I think some are trying to make is it's never going to be Disneyland, it's never going to reach the projected attendance/revenue numbers. The people of Canton hitched their wagon to a fantasy and got taken for a ride.

Benson at this point is probably thinking gee I should've just given the money to my family, they are less dysfunctional.
Old 02-24-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

I think people actually did care more back then. We've become a more transient society...not as much of a tie to the place currently lived in or the school your kids currently attend. Without that emotional connection apathy reigns.
Old 02-24-18, 09:38 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthook37 View Post
Here's one for ya....McKinley Massillon 101st game play off after a double OT loss in the 100th game to Massillon week before Josh McDaniel's missed the extra point they drew over 40,000 at the old rubber bowl
The announced attendance was 34,208, but your figure probably is closer.
Old 02-24-18, 01:30 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Let's hope so. The point I think some are trying to make is it's never going to be Disneyland, it's never going to reach the projected attendance/revenue numbers. The people of Canton hitched their wagon to a fantasy and got taken for a ride.

Benson at this point is probably thinking gee I should've just given the money to my family, they are less dysfunctional.
LOL, probably.

Yes I think that is exactly right -- it's probably never going to be what was promised. But it can still be a vastly upgraded hall with multiple yearly events compared to what we had before. The Stagg Bowl, NCAA volleyball championships, and NFL Draft alone bring in millions and millions of dollars to the area. IF the joker at the center of it that doesn't pay his bills can be tamed or removed.
Old 02-24-18, 06:12 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthook37 View Post
That 100th game was one overtime not two. And it was two weeks before the game at the Rubber Bowl not one week. And the announced crowd at the Rubber Bowl was 34,208 not "over 40,000."

Other than that, you were spot on.
Old 02-24-18, 06:16 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
That 100th game was one overtime not two. And it was two weeks before the game at the Rubber Bowl not one week. And the announced crowd at the Rubber Bowl was 34,208 not "over 40,000."

Other than that, you were spot on.
You sure know your Massillon history.
Old 02-24-18, 11:52 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Constantly in his head. Love the jealousy !!!
Old 02-25-18, 12:05 AM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He could be stating McKinley history...not Massillon's
Old 02-25-18, 12:45 AM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post

Please explain.
Old 02-25-18, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Please explain.
The games being discussed involved McKinley as well correct? So he could just as easily "sure know" his McKinley history.
Old 02-25-18, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The games being discussed involved McKinley as well correct? So he could just as easily "sure know" his McKinley history.
Actually, what I'm doing is stating facts that are easily found by doing a simple search online. It takes just a minute to look things up to get the truth.

I've learned that much of what's stated as "fact" here on Yappi is really exaggerated, distorted, overblown, and wrong. Especially, that which comes from the Massillon faithful.

I feel the need to make sure the truth is told.
Old 02-25-18, 10:43 AM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think people actually did care more back then. We've become a more transient society...not as much of a tie to the place currently lived in or the school your kids currently attend. Without that emotional connection apathy reigns.
When I walked into a break room on the job in the 70's -80's and in to the 90's people talked and interacted. At some places people regularly played cards. When I walk into one today no one at all talks, looks up or interacts. They all have their snouts buried deep in their smart phones watching some video or playing some game or texting etc.

You aren't ever getting todays smart phone generation back into the football stadiums on a regular basis. They may go if their school has a good run, as a support or novelty thing.... but actual INTEREST and CARING is a thing of the past. JMHO, your mileage may vary.
Old 02-25-18, 12:16 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Actually, what I'm doing is stating facts that are easily found by doing a simple search online. It takes just a minute to look things up to get the truth.

I've learned that much of what's stated as "fact" here on Yappi is really exaggerated, distorted, overblown, and wrong. Especially, that which comes from the Massillon faithful.

I feel the need to make sure the truth is told.
This is hilarious.
Old 02-25-18, 12:21 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Lol....no. He could tell you what Massillon QB had for breakfast....TODAY. He hangs from Massillon jock, not McKinleys.
Old 02-25-18, 07:24 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The announced attendance was 34,208, but your figure probably is closer.
Triplett was still backed up well into the 3rd quarter. I think they were just letting people file in at that point.
Old 02-26-18, 06:48 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
People! People! You do realize those attendance figures were before the days of the championship games being on TV? It was not that many years ago the only game on TV was the Div I game. If you wanted to see the game to the stands you must go. Attendance up. You do know watching a game not on TV is so much better, cuts out all those TV time outs and other delays etc. Hate sitting and watching players stand around waiting for the time out to be over on a cold cold Dec day or evening.
Old 02-26-18, 08:24 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
That's what makes the most recent attendance figures even more impressive - despite state wide coverage, the games drew the fourth highest total in history.
Old 02-26-18, 04:42 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
I am curious why you omitted a big section of the article? Let’s see what did you leave out....

The OHSAA has not decided which city will host the 2018 finals — OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried told me this week that “discussions continue, but there’s nothing new to report on any decisions or anything concrete” — but the original plan was for Canton to get the 2017 and 2018 games before they return to Columbus.

It’s unlikely the OHSAA will make any long-term decisions until it decides on a new commissioner. Dr. Dan Ross will retire on Sept. 15.

That said, Marshall has made it clear that Canton wants to host as often as possible for as long as possible.

“They are so important, not just for the economic impact in the community but there’s so much pride and history and tradition here,” she said. “From being the birthplace of the NFL to being a football at every level of the sport, it means a lot to be the home for the state championships.”

Three things to improve

Good feedback aside, this year’s finals weren’t perfect. Here were the three major issues:

1. Parking.

This was the biggest complaint from fans. To be blunt, no one likes parking at the Stark County Fairgrounds and taking a shuttle to the stadium, especially since so many people are used to parking in the student lot at McKinley High School. Marshall said they’re looking to move some of the credentialed parking (like the media, for instance) to a different location to open up some spots at McKinley.

Adding a parking deck to Hall of Fame Village will also help, although it won’t be finished in time for the 2018 finals.

2. Tickets

The OHSAA used a new ticketing software for the finals and there was a little bit of an adjustment period.

“I don’t think the OHSAA got a great response with the advance sale ticketing,” Marshall said. “Based on our conversations, we’re assuming whoever hosts in 2018, all the ticketing will be done by the venue directly.”

Fans also complained about the long lines at the entrance gates, although some of that is unavoidable when you’re playing three games per day.

“We’re definitely looking at improving the process, like widening the gate so that once the gates do open, they’ll flow through more quickly,” Marshall said. “But some of that (wait) is just from the fact that you’re playing back-to-back-to-back and people are waiting to get into the stadium when the gates aren’t open yet and the last game is still clearing out.”

3. Village construction.

Benson Stadium is terrific, but the OHSAA — like everyone in Stark County — is keeping an eye on progress for all of Hall of Fame Village. There needs to be some.

“Some of their main questions were about the state of the campus and the state of construction in 2018,” Marshall said. “They’ve even started to throw out the question of our interest in 2019 and 2020 as well.

“Our understanding has been that it would be an ongoing, continuing rotation between Columbus and Canton. I think that’s just understood in the background. But especially with the change in leadership with Dr. Ross, I don’t think we can have any sort of certainty. We’ll just continue to put our best foot forward. We would love to see it come to Canton permanently.”

I know how you and Mac are sticklers for the details..
Mr. 2cent....could you please climb down from the top of that pyramid, take the HOF Village cheerleader skirt off and answer some of the questions that you have been avoiding for months?

This one....
Closed Thread