Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-18, 07:37 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Seems the OHSAA know something you don't about Benson Stadium future?

In Joe Scalzo's article in the Rep yesterday, the OHSAA was thrilled about the 2017 state finals in Canton. According to Tonja Marshall, a VP of marketing and communications at Visit Canton.

"It was all very positive said Marshall who met with the OHSAA last week. They got a lot of great feedback from all the schools, teams and coaches who were part of the games. The treatment at the field level was the same the NFL teams get on HOF weekend and they couldn't say enough about their treatment, the amenities and the locker rooms. "

"One of the concerns was that with Canton not being in a central Ohio location, how will that impact attendance. But with us having such a good showing (61,502 in attendance, the 4th highest total ever) it's evident that that no matter where teams are from, fans will travel."

"The best part about the 60,000 plus attendance figure, is that those people spent money in Canton. Stark County's hotel rooms had an overall occupancy rate of 70% from Nov. 30 - Dec. 2. The rest of the month was about 47%. Seven hotels were were either at capacity or nearly sold out. The average Ohio tourist spends $111 per day on a trip in Ohio and that jumps to $360 for overnight visitors. This year's finals brought somewhere between $6.7 million and $13.3 million in Stark County."

"Some of their (the OHSAA) questions were about the state of the (HOF) campus and the state of construction in 2018. (After our discussion) they've even started to throw out the question of our interest in hosting 2019 and 2020 as well. Our understanding is that it would be an ongoing rotation between Columbus and Canton. "
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-18, 08:00 PM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
What's to know? The stadium is built, it will get used whether the HOF project gets completed or not. No news here, something everyone here knew before this stupid pointless thread.

Old 02-19-18, 08:11 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
It was a fluff piece....in the CANTON PAPER....about a project....IN CANTON. SHOCKING.

Never thought I'd say this but every time I read a scalzo article I miss Todd Porter a little.
Old 02-19-18, 08:23 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
60,000 people spent $111 per day just in Stark County minimum average? So a family of four that spent the night spent $1,440... On average? And that's their minimum estimate? A one day trip for a family of four spent $444 just inside Stark County? Not even figuring the gas and food driving to or from outside the county?

Secondly, they're comparing hotel vacancy to the entire month instead of the average weekend. Hotels always have higher occupancy on weekends. It's when people travel. Although it's easy to be gullible to PR fluff when you already made up your mind.
Old 02-19-18, 08:44 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
The last time I went to Canton for a state championship game, bought my ticket at the school, filled the gas tank at Kroger before I left Marion, ate a bite at a Mickey D's on the way, had a coke and two boxes of popcorn at the game, and drove home after the game. Total spent in Stark County for the day less than $10.00.
Old 02-19-18, 09:55 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Yep the OHSAA knows that everything planned to be built will be built including a water park and even a sky lift from the HOF to downtown Canton. LMAO !!!! It’s going to be the Canton Disneyworld LMAO !!!! Tool....
Old 02-19-18, 10:15 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
In Joe Scalzo's article in the Rep yesterday, the OHSAA was thrilled about the 2017 state finals in Canton. According to Tonja Marshall, a VP of marketing and communications at Visit Canton.

"It was all very positive said Marshall who met with the OHSAA last week. They got a lot of great feedback from all the schools, teams and coaches who were part of the games. The treatment at the field level was the same the NFL teams get on HOF weekend and they couldn't say enough about their treatment, the amenities and the locker rooms. "

"One of the concerns was that with Canton not being in a central Ohio location, how will that impact attendance. But with us having such a good showing (61,502 in attendance, the 4th highest total ever) it's evident that that no matter where teams are from, fans will travel."

"The best part about the 60,000 plus attendance figure, is that those people spent money in Canton. Stark County's hotel rooms had an overall occupancy rate of 70% from Nov. 30 - Dec. 2. The rest of the month was about 47%. Seven hotels were were either at capacity or nearly sold out. The average Ohio tourist spends $111 per day on a trip in Ohio and that jumps to $360 for overnight visitors. This year's finals brought somewhere between $6.7 million and $13.3 million in Stark County."

"Some of their (the OHSAA) questions were about the state of the (HOF) campus and the state of construction in 2018. (After our discussion) they've even started to throw out the question of our interest in hosting 2019 and 2020 as well. Our understanding is that it would be an ongoing rotation between Columbus and Canton. "
I am curious why you omitted a big section of the article? Let’s see what did you leave out....

The OHSAA has not decided which city will host the 2018 finals — OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried told me this week that “discussions continue, but there’s nothing new to report on any decisions or anything concrete” — but the original plan was for Canton to get the 2017 and 2018 games before they return to Columbus.

It’s unlikely the OHSAA will make any long-term decisions until it decides on a new commissioner. Dr. Dan Ross will retire on Sept. 15.

That said, Marshall has made it clear that Canton wants to host as often as possible for as long as possible.

“They are so important, not just for the economic impact in the community but there’s so much pride and history and tradition here,” she said. “From being the birthplace of the NFL to being a football at every level of the sport, it means a lot to be the home for the state championships.”

Three things to improve

Good feedback aside, this year’s finals weren’t perfect. Here were the three major issues:

1. Parking.

This was the biggest complaint from fans. To be blunt, no one likes parking at the Stark County Fairgrounds and taking a shuttle to the stadium, especially since so many people are used to parking in the student lot at McKinley High School. Marshall said they’re looking to move some of the credentialed parking (like the media, for instance) to a different location to open up some spots at McKinley.

Adding a parking deck to Hall of Fame Village will also help, although it won’t be finished in time for the 2018 finals.

2. Tickets

The OHSAA used a new ticketing software for the finals and there was a little bit of an adjustment period.

“I don’t think the OHSAA got a great response with the advance sale ticketing,” Marshall said. “Based on our conversations, we’re assuming whoever hosts in 2018, all the ticketing will be done by the venue directly.”

Fans also complained about the long lines at the entrance gates, although some of that is unavoidable when you’re playing three games per day.

“We’re definitely looking at improving the process, like widening the gate so that once the gates do open, they’ll flow through more quickly,” Marshall said. “But some of that (wait) is just from the fact that you’re playing back-to-back-to-back and people are waiting to get into the stadium when the gates aren’t open yet and the last game is still clearing out.”

3. Village construction.

Benson Stadium is terrific, but the OHSAA — like everyone in Stark County — is keeping an eye on progress for all of Hall of Fame Village. There needs to be some.

“Some of their main questions were about the state of the campus and the state of construction in 2018,” Marshall said. “They’ve even started to throw out the question of our interest in 2019 and 2020 as well.

“Our understanding has been that it would be an ongoing, continuing rotation between Columbus and Canton. I think that’s just understood in the background. But especially with the change in leadership with Dr. Ross, I don’t think we can have any sort of certainty. We’ll just continue to put our best foot forward. We would love to see it come to Canton permanently.”

I know how you and Mac are sticklers for the details..
Old 02-19-18, 10:23 PM
Moderated User

Thank you for keeping it real fw.
Old 02-19-18, 10:34 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

"One of the concerns was that with Canton not being in a central Ohio location, how will that impact attendance. But with us having such a good showing (61,502 in attendance, the 4th highest total ever) it's evident that that no matter where teams are from, fans will travel.". ["[/B]
I like that you highlighted this last line then omitted this paragraph...

Canton benefited this year from two things it couldn’t control: good weather (by December standards, anyway) and favorable matchups (13 of the 14 finalists were public schools, which tend to bring bigger crowds).

“We were definitely holding our breath,” Marshall said. “But we got amazing weather and really great matchups. One of the concerns was that, with Canton not being in a central location (in Ohio), how will that impact attendance? But with us having such a good showing, it’s evident that no matter where the teams are from, the fans will travel.”

As long as they are public schools I guess.
Old 02-20-18, 12:41 AM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Only one team from SW Ohio this year and they played on Thursday night. Go figure. It caused the school to close for 2 days. They closed Thursday and Friday. Just play the games in Columbus. Then you can play on Thursday and cause no pain for anyone. Nobody wants to spend the night in Stark County. Good grief.
Old 02-20-18, 06:05 AM
All American

Four Massillon posters, four negative comments. Sensing a pattern here. Egret?
Old 02-20-18, 06:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Never thought I'd say this but every time I read a scalzo article I miss Todd Porter a little.
I was always a big fan of the Porter, former Tiger standout and Massillon alum.
Old 02-20-18, 07:29 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Columbus has enough money and enough going on. The economic boost is a big deal for Stark County. Yeah, it's not centrally located, and please keep screeching about how it's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair for SW Ohio. Who cares? Kids in Alaska have to take airplanes to play their neighbors. You'll survive the extra 90 minutes on the highway. No need to be slothful.

Only thing I would change is that the Thursday game(s) needs to go. Bring PBTS back into it if needed to make the schedule work.
Old 02-20-18, 09:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
60,000 people spent $111 per day just in Stark County minimum average? So a family of four that spent the night spent $1,440... On average? And that's their minimum estimate? A one day trip for a family of four spent $444 just inside Stark County? Not even figuring the gas and food driving to or from outside the county?

Secondly, they're comparing hotel vacancy to the entire month instead of the average weekend. Hotels always have higher occupancy on weekends. It's when people travel. Although it's easy to be gullible to PR fluff when you already made up your mind.
I think the low estimate ($6.6 million) is very reasonable.

Just the ticket sales alone account for a million. $15 per person for food spent in-county (which is an extremely conservative estimate) is another million. Probably half a million on hotel rooms, another half-mil in gas (not all in Stark Co. but around half will be). This assumes that you do nothing but go to the game, eat, sleep, and drive home. That gets us about halfway there. This is the absolute bare minimum.

Even the crappiest souvenir is going to be $10. Grandpa might go to the HOF ($21 entry fee). The student section will attend a movie or something. Somebody's going to pop into Wal-Mart, or buy a bottle of water at the convenience store, or will need cigarettes or gum or an energy drink, or buy something more expensive they forgot to bring. It's not too hard to imagine generating that extra $3 million over the $3 million we already accounted for. Some of the 60,000 will spend $5 above the minimum, others will spend $200. A $50 extra average doesn't sound unreasonable at all.
Old 02-20-18, 10:42 AM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Four Massillon posters, four negative comments. Sensing a pattern here. Egret?
Called jealousy, there’s nothing in Massillon.

I’d rather take a financial risk teaming up with the NFL rather than drumming up ideas like the worlds largest water park.
Old 02-20-18, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
... Kids in Alaska have to take airplanes to play their neighbors. You'll survive the extra 90 minutes on the highway. No need to be slothful....
And the kids in Texas don't complain about the drive to Big D. But then they get to play in the house that Jerry built. Guess that outshines the Shoe.

I await the nit-pickers that will talk about Arlington or anything else I said. But then that is why I said it.
Old 02-20-18, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Only one team from SW Ohio this year and they played on Thursday night. Go figure. It caused the school to close for 2 days. They closed Thursday and Friday. Just play the games in Columbus. Then you can play on Thursday and cause no pain for anyone. Nobody wants to spend the night in Stark County. Good grief.
Being a supporter of Winton Woods, playing Thursday night was rhe only drawback. It was ran very well. Loved it being in Canton
Old 02-20-18, 01:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Called jealousy, there’s nothing in Massillon.
All I know is they accuse people of being jealous of them for posting on Massillon threads so you may be onto something.

They can't get into the Fed and now the OHSAA has said they are not needed in the finals weekend. Rejection can be hard to handle.
Old 02-20-18, 01:55 PM
All American

It's reasonable to presume that the current state of the HOF village was discussed and apparently the answers were acceptable enough that 2019-20 were discussed.
Old 02-20-18, 02:37 PM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting, thanks for sharing
Old 02-20-18, 02:40 PM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
I felt that Canton did a good job hosting the games. The main issue is there really is nothing to do around the stadium for overnight guests.
Old 02-20-18, 03:23 PM
All District

Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
Don't see it happing the Village that is...need to just clean up around put more parking in an just FORGET ABOUT IT to much money owed on the project before they can just restart. Just a shame the HOF has screw the kids they don't even have there own locker room anymore, the BOE needs to have a dam good reason
Old 02-20-18, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
agendas, agendas, AGENDAS!
Old 02-20-18, 03:50 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
All I know is they accuse people of being jealous of them for posting on Massillon threads so you may be onto something.

They can't get into the Fed and now the OHSAA has said they are not needed in the finals weekend. Rejection can be hard to handle.
So far you have more off topic posts than on topic posts....in a thread YOU started. Lol.
Old 02-20-18, 04:05 PM
All District

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
The original plan was to play in Canton in 2017 and 2018, and now 2018 is still "up for discussion?" That wouldn't instill a lot of faith in me if I was a Canton person.
Old 02-20-18, 04:12 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
The original plan was to play in Canton in 2017 and 2018, and now 2018 is still "up for discussion?" That wouldn't instill a lot of faith in me if I was a Canton person.
Go back and read several other HOF village/Benson stadium related threads, its obvious they don't.
Old 02-20-18, 04:26 PM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Congratulations, OHSAA! Instead of everyone getting to drive to the game, and go back home, thus only costing them a reasonable amount to see the games, instead, a percentage of the fans needed of spend extra money for hotels and restaurants to see their team. What a service you have provided the fans!
Old 02-20-18, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Games are free on TV. So why drive to BFE, if your team is not in it?
Old 02-20-18, 08:00 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
Congratulations, OHSAA! Instead of everyone getting to drive to the game, and go back home, thus only costing them a reasonable amount to see the games, instead, a percentage of the fans needed of spend extra money for hotels and restaurants to see their team. What a service you have provided the fans!
Some people may choose to make a weekend of it. Good for them, and Stark County they have the disposable income to do so.
Old 02-20-18, 08:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
People have to leave their convenience-filled suburban playlands for almost 24 hours. They might even be forced to go to a different McDonalds than they're used to!! THE HORROR

I hope they ban live video broadcast of games again, too. Listen to the radio or get nothing if you can't show up.
Closed Thread