Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-12-18, 06:13 PM
All District

GRgrapplerz is on a distinguished road
Aaron Pico

Still think it would have been great to have seen him wrestle in the NCAA, even for a year or two...what could have been. Seems he has been focused on MMA as of late. Anyone know if Olympic freestyle wrestling is still a goal of his?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-18, 07:10 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRgrapplerz View Post
Still think it would have been great to have seen him wrestle in the NCAA, even for a year or two...what could have been. Seems he has been focused on MMA as of late. Anyone know if Olympic freestyle wrestling is still a goal of his?
Making the most of any money opportunities in relation to Mma, sponsors, and muti- fight deal is most likely the only goal. Being as lucrative as GSP and McGregor odds are 1 in 1000 fighters like.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-18, 07:49 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
What might have been.Dang it!
Old 04-12-18, 07:50 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Doubt Pico has his mind on wrestling right now- got a fight May 12th I believe. Wouldn't be shocked to see him give the 2020 team a go, but I would put the odds at less than 50%.
Old 04-14-18, 11:37 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
I thought I heard that he was sponsored to focus on the MMA career to the tune of about $1,000,000. Obviously what he takes home from fights only increases that number. It's tough to pass up that money/opportunity.

Coach Root
Old 04-15-18, 06:26 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
I thought I heard that he was sponsored to focus on the MMA career to the tune of about $1,000,000. Obviously what he takes home from fights only increases that number. It's tough to pass up that money/opportunity.

Coach Root
Wow, didn't know he was earning that much through sponsors/Bellator. Cannot fault then him for forgoing college and turning pro, especially when you have a lot more HS basketball players doing the same thing; going straight to the NBA and earning much more (of course the difference here is that most of them at least finished out their HS careers, something Aaron did not do for whatever reason).
It will be interesting to see if he returns to freestyle wrestling, but as others have already stated, that looks like it probably will not happen.
Old 04-15-18, 08:46 PM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
I wish he chose wrestling. I think this was a short sited decision in terms of legacy and long-term quality of life and earnings. I am not a fan of MMA and by all appearances it appears that most competitors will never make much. Just like boxing before it , the UFC etc. will get rich while the fighters get their bodies beat up for very little. Comparing his money to an NBA rookie contract is laughable . I wish him well , I just think it might have been better to be a 4x all-American and maybe an Olympian first. But, it's his life...
Old 04-16-18, 05:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
I wish he chose wrestling. I think this was a short sited decision in terms of legacy and long-term quality of life and earnings. I am not a fan of MMA and by all appearances it appears that most competitors will never make much. Just like boxing before it , the UFC etc. will get rich while the fighters get their bodies beat up for very little. Comparing his money to an NBA rookie contract is laughable . I wish him well , I just think it might have been better to be a 4x all-American and maybe an Olympian first. But, it's his life...
Wasn't comparing his earnings to the NBA, but the route he took from HS to the Pro ranks (although again, he even forfeited the remainder of his HS career as well, which I thought was a mistake). Agree it would have been great to see him in the NCAA and Olympics ( current collegiate wrestlers have proven you can do both now).
Old 04-16-18, 09:47 AM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Obviously he and Kyle Snyder have differing views on what they want. Snyder wants to be the best wrestler ever - which will lead to a lot of money, fame, and respect. Pico wants to make as much money as possible and compete in a sport that capitalizes on his talents in wrestling/boxing and adding in another form of martial arts for striking with feet, knees and elbows. That can also bring him fame, fortune, and respect.

Personally, I like the Snyder path better. But that is just my opinion.
Old 04-16-18, 10:50 AM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Thought experiment ...

Let's say Aaron Pico ends up as good an MMA fighter as did Ben Askren, which is to say "quite good," but not near the top ranks of the UFC. Further, let's say that the rumors of the $1M contract with Bellatore are true; and further, let's say he makes another $1M in prize money over the course of his carer (say, 10 years). Total earnings, $2M in 10 years. Excellent money for a young guy ... even for an old guy ...

Would that level of fame allow him to forever work in MMA or wrestling (if he so chose) making significant additional income? By "significant" I don't mean $1000 for a clininc here and there ... I mean (say) $100k per year?

Would having been a great cadet/junior wrestler, but never a college or senior level int'l wrestler, be enough to earn him an income in a sport where decent living wages are hard to come by?