Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-18, 12:54 PM
Junior Varsity

bdj2 is on a distinguished road
The dad is not a coach....the uncle is. All 3 would have a spot regardless of politics. They will now go to Taylor and play 4 years of varsity.
Old 02-13-18, 12:57 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj2 View Post
They will now go to Taylor and play 4 years of varsity.
Exactly...this isn't hard to figure out. Think pboy.

And put $50k in their pocket as well.
Old 02-13-18, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
The dad is not a coach....the uncle is. All 3 would have a spot regardless of politics. They will now go to Taylor and play 4 years of varsity.
Playing Varsity means that much? The kids are good, not good enough to play Varsity in the GCL. The one still on the fence would be the biggest loss for Elder.
Old 02-13-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
Exactly...this isn't hard to figure out. Think pboy.

And put $50k in their pocket as well.
It is hard to figure out. Taylor isn't sh1t. Who cares if you get to play 4 yrs of Varsity at Taylor?
Old 02-13-18, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

Patchwork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I don't know why....These are the kids you claim get special treatment.
I don't see this as special treatment at all. they made a decision to look elsewhere and Elder found out about it and is looking into it. Doesn't seem out of line to me and I hope there were other calls made to kids who were not shared on this forum.
Old 02-13-18, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Understandable
Old 02-13-18, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post
I don't see this as special treatment at all. they made a decision to look elsewhere and Elder found out about it and is looking into it. Doesn't seem out of line to me and I hope there were other calls made to kids who were not shared on this forum.
I'm glad he did reach out. Trey's entire shtick is the legacy kids from Visi get special treatment at Elder, but now they're all of the sudden turning down that special treatment?
Old 02-13-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Taylor - Big fish, little pond
Elder - Another fish, in big pond
Other than the price tag which is obviously a big deal, sounds like that is the other determining factor. Same thing happened last season with the St Jude basketball team, most of them ended up at Elder anyways.
Old 02-13-18, 01:26 PM
Varsity

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard differently...just this morning from someone who is intimately involved. 2 of the 3 have committed to Taylor....one is still on the fence. I would also argue that both boys are big losses. One in baseball/basketball/football and the other in basketball/golf. If the 3rd commits it will be a huge loss in football and to some extent basketball.

At the end of the day any student from a feeder school that doesn't choose Elder is a huge loss regardless of athletics. More importantly, I hope this doesn't become a pattern in subsequent years. I know Ruffing called each family personally as 2 of these kids are "legacy" names as it relates to Elder.
Isn't interesting how the attractiveness of Taylor can change (almost overnight) with the construction of a new building? Legacy families should be able to look deeper into the differences from their first-hand history. Maybe, from a marketing standpoint, the administration thought this was a given.
Old 02-13-18, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKS View Post
Isn't interesting how the attractiveness of Taylor can change (almost overnight) with the construction of a new building? Legacy families should be able to look deeper into the differences from their first-hand history. Maybe, from a marketing standpoint, the administration thought this was a given.
That's the issue with that type of thinking. We are quick to judge families that to elsewhere for HS thinking that it was a given. Those days have been gone for a while not just recently.
Old 02-13-18, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKS View Post
You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig.
Old 02-13-18, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Best of luck to all three boys and their families. I know each and all involved are great people. This has absolutely nothing to do with playing time or sports.

They will absolutely be missed at Elder but everyone must make the decision that is best for their personal situation. Never know what will eventually happen.
Old 02-13-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Best of luck to all three boys and their families. They will absolutely be missed at Elder but everyone must make the decision that is best for their personal situation.
The one they need the most is still on the fence.
Old 02-13-18, 01:57 PM
All American

We are far removed from just assuming families are automatically just sending their kids to Elder out of blind loyalty.

People have been saying this for years, and there are some of you who simply refuse to believe it is an option. It's very real. Maybe a whole bunch of people will actually start listening instead of condemning.

Not to mention, this could potentially get even more people thinking about pulling the trigger that have been on the fence.
Old 02-13-18, 01:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
We are far removed from just assuming families are automatically just sending their kids to Elder out of blind loyalty.

People have been saying this for years, and there are some of you who simply refuse to believe it is an option. It's very real. Maybe a whole bunch of people will actually start listening instead of condemning.
Couldn't agree more. Starting with those parked at 3900 Vincent Avenue
Old 02-13-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The one they need the most is still on the fence.
Elder needed ALL of them. Makes no difference who you think is the best athlete.

Either way. Good luck to him no matter what he decides.
Old 02-13-18, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Not to mention, this could potentially get even more people thinking about pulling the trigger that have been on the fence.
You've been b1tching for yrs that these are the families and kids that prevent others from getting a "fair" shake. Now you're complaining.
Old 02-13-18, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Elder needed ALL of them. Makes no difference who you think is the best athlete.

Either way. Good luck to him no matter what he decides.
It does make a difference. That's reality.
Old 02-13-18, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post
Couldn't agree more. Starting with those parked at 3900 Vincent Avenue
I agree, but if those kids are picking Taylor bc they want to play 4 yrs of Varsity athletics, what can they do?
Old 02-13-18, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It does make a difference. That's reality.
Again. Just your opinion.
Old 02-13-18, 02:03 PM
All American

Quote:
You've been b1tching for yrs that these are the families and kids that prevent others from getting a "fair" shake. Now you're complaining.
I've said that's PART of the problem. There are many, many other issues in play here, cost being way up there.
Old 02-13-18, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
I heard differently...just this morning from someone who is intimately involved. 2 of the 3 have committed to Taylor....one is still on the fence. I would also argue that both boys are big losses. One in baseball/basketball/football and the other in basketball/golf. If the 3rd commits it will be a huge loss in football and to some extent basketball.

At the end of the day any student from a feeder school that doesn't choose Elder is a huge loss regardless of athletics. More importantly, I hope this doesn't become a pattern in subsequent years. I know Ruffing called each family personally as 2 of these kids are "legacy" names as it relates to Elder.
I agree it is never good news but it isn't surprising either. I expect it to become more and more common going forward. Too many times Elder just assumes kids are headed there because of their legacy status and people can deny sports being a factor but until they show a true commitment to winning like the other GCL South schools that's going to have a negative effect as well when it comes to a final decision.
Old 02-13-18, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree, but if those kids are picking Taylor bc they want to play 4 yrs of Varsity athletics, what can they do?
I don't see this happening, but either way, playing four years of varsity athletics at Taylor had nothing to do with this.
Old 02-13-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I've said that's PART of the problem. There are many, many other issues in play here, cost being way up there.
No, that's been your main pain point for years. Face it, you just like to complain.
Old 02-13-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't see this happening, but either way, playing four years of varsity athletics at Taylor had nothing to do with this.
That's a big reason why they chose Taylor.
Old 02-13-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Again. Just your opinion.
My opinion, which is usually right.
All Yappi

Quote:
That's a big reason why they chose Taylor.
It's not.
All American

Quote:
You continue to fail to see the big picture because of your immaturity. You see all of this through the lens of some 28 year old fan. You still think every westside kid has a birthright to attend Elder, as apparently, so do most of the admin. Parents don't think like this anymore, not when school is this expensive.

Most people see it through the lens of a parent deciding the best high school choice for their kid. Period. They are perfectly in their right to look at other options, and frankly, it takes some courage to pull the trigger. I, too, wish those families well.

So once again, pboy, for the past two years, GET USED TO IT!!
Old 02-13-18, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple reign View Post
it's not.
bs.
Old 02-13-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You continue to fail to see the big picture because of your immaturity. You see all of this through the lens of some 28 year old fan. You still think every westside kid has a birthright to attend Elder, as apparently, so do most of the admin. Parents don't think like this anymore, not when school is this expensive.

Most people see it through the lens of a parent deciding the best high school choice for their kid. Period. They are perfectly in their right to look at other options, and frankly, it takes some courage to pull the trigger. I, too, wish those families well.
I think that way comparing Elder and Taylor. Taylor is nothing special, never will be.