Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-13-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I wasn't talking about their tournament, X actually hosted WBC league games this year.

And currently at Victory's Tournament Jude beat IHM in one semifinal and Blessed Sacrament beat Guardian Angels in the other semifinal in the 8th Grade.

Last edited by adselder09; 02-13-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 09:16 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Good idea to host some league games and a tournament for a high school. Does Elder host tournament or league games?
Old 02-13-17, 10:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Good idea to host some league games and a tournament for a high school. Does Elder host tournament or league games?
Elder hosts a tournament for the 7th Grade only. And from what I can tell, they did not host any league games this season.
X hosted league games for the WBC and the GCCYS (formerly CYO), in addition to their tournament.

This isn't something that is going to make or break someone's decision to attend a school, but it's another situation where Elder is missing out on getting kids on their campus.
Old 02-14-17, 07:51 PM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
There were again complaints about how X ran their tournament....Sloppy.....Elder received a lot of praise for how their tournament was run....Jim Beck who runs the tournament at Elder does a great job......That's what the coaches, parents, and kids care about.
Old 02-15-17, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnut View Post
Should be getting close to the end of the season....any word on the tournament this year?
Brackets are out. Lourdes gets the #1 seed and a tough draw. Wouldn't shock me to see the Eastside win another Western Conference City Championship in the 8th Grade. 7th Grade likely will be St Antoninus vs. Visitation.
http://www.wbcbasketball.com/tb_files/city161.htm

Last edited by adselder09; 02-15-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 04:37 PM
Junior Varsity

pantherland is on a distinguished road
In 7th grade did Antoninius end up winning the league? I saw they had the #1 seed. It's a very good team.
Old 02-16-17, 12:11 PM
Moderated User

slapnut is on a distinguished road
Antoninus beat Visi in the final regular season game, and by more points than Visi beat them earlier in the season. Therefore, they were the #1 seed.
Old 02-16-17, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Does the AAU team (Royals?) still exist? Curious how many kids from Elder feeders play for them.

Last edited by Descartes; 02-16-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 02:02 PM
Moderated User

The Westside Panthers exist as a spring basketball team for 7th and 8th grade.
Old 02-16-17, 02:03 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Does the AAU team (Royals?) still exist? Curious how many kids from Elder feeders play for them.
I'm guessing not many...wouldn't they just play for the Elder AAU affiliated team?
Old 02-16-17, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

The Royals are a fraction of what they used to be 10-15 years ago.
Old 02-16-17, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Westside Panthers exist as a spring basketball team for 7th and 8th grade.
I forgot that existed. How long has that been around? It couldn't be very long, I remember my friend's little brother playing for the Royals as a 4th/5th grader and that was just 10 yrs ago.
Old 02-16-17, 03:04 PM
All Region

purpleandwhite
It will be interested to see how many non visi/antoninus kids make the 7th grade Westside Panthers team considering how dominant they have been.
Old 02-16-17, 03:45 PM
All American

Visi has one dominant kid...the rest play very well together. They have more overall skill 1-9. They're set apart by their 9th kid being almost as good as their 3rd kid.

Antoninus has 3 very good players...there isn't a huge drop off between 4-9, but they aren't as skilled as Visi's 4-9. And Visi's 7,8,9 is much better than St Ants. St Ant will knock them off every now and then, but Visi is the better overall team.

The Visi kid gets a lot of pub, but I think the St Ant lefty point guard is the best player in that grade.

9-10 from those 2 teams are probably locks. There's some other decent talent on other teams, but will be dominated by Visi kids. Maybe they take 2 teams.
Old 02-17-17, 08:35 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
The Visi kid gets a lot of pub, but I think the St Ant lefty point guard is the best player in that grade.

9-10 from those 2 teams are probably locks. There's some other decent talent on other teams, but will be dominated by Visi kids. Maybe they take 2 teams.
Is that lefty the Keller kid? Yes he is a very good player.

I've seen the kid from St Lawrence and he could add some strength to this group.
Old 02-17-17, 08:55 AM
All American

Agreed on the St Lawrence kid...no clue if he's an Elder kid. That class will have a good team.

Unfortunately, my guess is that a few of these kids are done growing.
Old 02-17-17, 12:16 PM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Agreed on the St Lawrence kid...no clue if he's an Elder kid. That class will have a good team.

Unfortunately, my guess is that a few of these kids are done growing.
I've heard he is. Since Lawrence is a CISE school seems like a lot of their kids are going to Elder.
Old 02-17-17, 03:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
I've heard he is. Since Lawrence is a CISE school seems like a lot of their kids are going to Elder.
What is CISE?
Old 02-17-17, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What is CISE?
It's the Catholic Inner-City Schools Education Fund.

Quote:
CISE, through gifts from many generous donors, provides financial support to eight Catholic elementary schools in Cincinnatiís most economically challenged neighborhoods. This support makes it possible for the CISE elementary schools to extend a quality, faith-based education to nearly 1,800 children every year. At the CISE schools, children learn about God and faith and hope for their future. They learn that with Godís help and hard work, they can accomplish much.

The CISE schools have an average enrollment of 225 students and an average class size of 23. The eight Catholic elementary schools currently receiving assistance from CISE are:

St. Boniface in Northside
Corryville Catholic
St. Francis de Sales in East Walnut Hills
St. Francis Seraph in Over-the-Rhine
Holy Family in Price Hill
St. Joseph in the West End
Resurrection in Price Hill
St. Lawrence in Price Hill
CISE has provided support to Cincinnatiís inner-city Catholic schools since 1980. Our schools succeed because they are based on the Catholic School model, which has a history of success. The CISE schools work diligently with urban students to overcome the unique challenges they face on a daily basis.
You can volunteer to help their mission if you'd like: http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/mi...ng-executives/
Old 02-17-17, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
It's the Catholic Inner-City Schools Education Fund.

You can volunteer to help their mission if you'd like: http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/mi...ng-executives/
Why the hell is Elder not on that list of volunteers?
Old 02-17-17, 07:30 PM
Varsity

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why the hell is Elder not on that list of volunteers?
Please take this the right way...I'm not ragging on you nor being sarcastic...

This may be a good thing for you to participate in since you'd like to see more of the young men in these schools consider Elder. You could help them in their grade school environment, and speak positively of Elder while you're doing it. They need relatively young people that can be an example for these students. No requirement to be part of the good old boy network, nor a football coaching pedigree to help what you see as a weakness in the current situation. When I see what you post on here, I understand your passion - I just didn't have any idea how you could personally take some positive action to help out. This may be your calling.
Old 02-17-17, 10:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKS View Post
Please take this the right way...I'm not ragging on you nor being sarcastic...

This may be a good thing for you to participate in since you'd like to see more of the young men in these schools consider Elder. You could help them in their grade school environment, and speak positively of Elder while you're doing it. They need relatively young people that can be an example for these students. No requirement to be part of the good old boy network, nor a football coaching pedigree to help what you see as a weakness in the current situation. When I see what you post on here, I understand your passion - I just didn't have any idea how you could personally take some positive action to help out. This may be your calling.
I don't take it personally. I understand being pushed to do my part, and I'm pretty sure Rueve is an Elder grad and there's also tons of Elder grads at those companies. Point is, if LS as institution is represented, Elder needs to be as well. As much as any of the alumni at these companies can do, they're not "official" reps of Elder.
Old 02-21-17, 03:15 PM
Moderated User

Victory 8th grade lost to GA Sunday, by two points.....GA moves on to play Lourdes at LaSalle on March 1.....Visi plays All Saints right after the GA-Lourdes game at LaSalle.
Old 02-21-17, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

No games this weekend in the 8th Grade as the WBC is catering to the Eastside schools and letting them host their GCCY-only tournaments this weekend.
Old 02-21-17, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Victory 8th grade lost to GA Sunday, by two points.....GA moves on to play Lourdes at LaSalle on March 1.....Visi plays All Saints right after the GA-Lourdes game at LaSalle.
St James beat St Ignatius on Saturday to advance to play IHM. That game is also part of a double-header at LaSalle on Thursday with St Jude and SMOY matching up in the other Quarterfinal.

Why are all these games being played at LaSalle? Playing on HS sized courts are nice, but there are plenty of gyms among the WBC schools that can host these tournament games.
Old 02-21-17, 03:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post

Why are all these games being played at LaSalle? .
Why wouldn't they?

LaSalle has a vested interest in these kids too.

Last edited by trey2k; 02-21-17 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
And currently at Victory's Tournament Jude beat IHM in one semifinal and Blessed Sacrament beat Guardian Angels in the other semifinal in the 8th Grade.
Blessed Sacrament beat St Jude in the Finals over there. Did I also see BS won the St X Tournament? Yikes more good news for Cov Cath.
Old 02-21-17, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Why wouldn't they?

LaSalle has a vested interest in these kids too.
I guess I should have been more specific (though I figured my explanation after the question would have taken care of that), why is the league putting all these games at LaSalle? And to a further extent, why isn't Elder hosting any games besides the Finals? Obviously it's a good move for LS.
Old 02-21-17, 04:26 PM
All American

1) Because LaSalle made their gym available. If they give gym time, the League is going to take it.

2) That's a question for Elder. I'm guessing it has to do with availability...at least, I'm hoping.
Old 02-21-17, 04:48 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
Elder has the third round. Brackets are at wbcbasketball.com