Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #541  
Old 02-12-18, 09:12 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,299
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
14red wants the Cavs fan base to dwell on their effort prior to the trade versus their direction after it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #542  
Old 02-12-18, 09:25 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It's incredible to me how Isaiah Thomas, coming back from hip surgery, played in only 15 games, and was suddenly a cancer on the team where everyone quit playing hard??
My first question to LeBron, JR, Tristen, Korver, Jeff Green after yesterday's game would have been..."Why were you playing so hard today? You haven't the last month?"
This is proof 14Red never played on a team past 5th grade.
Reply With Quote
  #543  
Old 02-12-18, 09:30 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I think it was in the third quarter, LeBron and George Hill ran back to back to back pick and roll/pop plays and it worked each time. George Hill might have been the best picked up in the Cavs trade. His defense was stellar. He even forced Horford into a bad shot on the post and his shot came up short.
But did he shut Kyrie down ?
Reply With Quote
  #544  
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
He was on some pretty bad Celtics teams.
He was.

He was a really good 3, too. Great piece. Not the elite player he wanted to pretend he was, though.
Reply With Quote
  #545  
Old 02-12-18, 10:13 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,299
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
But did he shut Kyrie down ?
Did he? I didnt watch.
Reply With Quote
  #546  
Old 02-12-18, 10:14 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
He was on some pretty bad Celtics teams.
He sure was. His team averaged roughly 35 wins a season until Ainge brought in Garnett and Allen.

A comparison for Pierce- Pierce averaged 19-7 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 3.5 apg. Cavs 80s star Mike Mitchell averaged 19.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.3 apg. Nobody's throwing Mike Mitchell's jersey up in the rafters.
Reply With Quote
  #547  
Old 02-12-18, 10:17 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
Reply With Quote
  #548  
Old 02-12-18, 10:28 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
He sure was. His team averaged roughly 35 wins a season until Ainge brought in Garnett and Allen.

A comparison for Pierce- Pierce averaged 19-7 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 3.5 apg. Cavs 80s star Mike Mitchell averaged 19.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.3 apg. Nobody's throwing Mike Mitchell's jersey up in the rafters.
Mitchell's career average defensive box plus minus was -2.4. For reference, Isaiah Thomas' career average for DBPM is -2.8. His best year on defense his 2nd year and his DBPM was -1.4. PP's worst year was a -1.1 and his career average is 0.5. So not a defensive stalwart, he wasn't a liability on defense.

I wouldn't have hung PP's jersey from the rafters if it were up to me though.
Reply With Quote
  #549  
Old 02-12-18, 10:28 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
you dolt.
Reply With Quote
  #550  
Old 02-12-18, 11:29 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
Weren't the Cavs in a similar or worse position given that they had never played and barely practiced together?????? They could only run the most basic stuff on offense and defense. Also, team defense is based on principles that apply across the board, regardless of the opponent. Certainly, there are wrinkles in each game (i.e. how to handle the pick and roll, whether to front the post, etc.) but defense is defense.

I also have a tough time believing the Celts showed up at the Garden seeing this as an exhibition.
Reply With Quote
  #551  
Old 02-12-18, 11:57 AM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,218
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Especially when it was a maor celebration day in honor of Pierce. If anything, I would have thought that the Celtics would have been motivated to put on a strong effort for their fans.
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 02-12-18, 12:12 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
you dolt.
He's approaching "The Dolt" status
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 02-12-18, 12:14 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,299
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Exhibition.
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 02-12-18, 12:18 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Especially when it was a maor celebration day in honor of Pierce. If anything, I would have thought that the Celtics would have been motivated to put on a strong effort for their fans.
You just know that LeBron had to enjoy taking a giant stinking dump on Paul Pierce Day.
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 02-12-18, 12:19 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 731
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I promise you that I come to Yappi to read other opinions and make my own comments, but them I get distracted by nonsense and it usually ends up as an attack on 14red. But he has company this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It's incredible to me how Isaiah Thomas, coming back from hip surgery, played in only 15 games, and was suddenly a cancer on the team where everyone quit playing hard??
My first question to LeBron, JR, Tristen, Korver, Jeff Green after yesterday's game would have been..."Why were you playing so hard today? You haven't the last month?"
Clearly you have zero understanding of team sports dynamics. Bad relationships = poor chemistry = no enthusiasm = poor, lifeless play. It was so evident in their play. IT had a sole focus, his expiring contract, and his next contract. It was all about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
LOL. One look at the faces on the Celtic bench at the end of the game tells you they cared deeply, and they learned yesterday they have no chance at the making the finals this year unless LBJ gets hurt. Message delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
LOL. the "old Cavs" were old and could not defend. DWade, IT, Frye. The "new Cavs" are long, athletic and young. Not even close as to which team is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
But did he shut Kyrie down ?
No one in the league can shut down Kyrie. The purpose of the trade was not to shut down Kyrie. What is your point?
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 02-12-18, 12:23 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
It was a joke. A poke at e_p and a past strawman argument he twisted up.

He took the bait and I ignored him.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 02-12-18, 12:27 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,299
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
No one in the league can shut down Kyrie. The purpose of the trade was not to shut down Kyrie. What is your point?
Hes not known as weirdo on here for nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 02-12-18, 12:39 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,569
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
"Yesterday was like an exhibition for the Celtics"

14Red never disappoints. That is an all-timer, even for him
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 02-12-18, 12:44 PM
WinstonSmith WinstonSmith is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-11-16
Posts: 3,137
WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is honestly the first time I may think he's just trolling. There are plenty of legitimate/potential reasons the Celtics lost, but them seeing it as an exhibition game is not even in the realm of possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #560  
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Weren't the Cavs in a similar or worse position given that they had never played and barely practiced together?????? They could only run the most basic stuff on offense and defense. Also, team defense is based on principles that apply across the board, regardless of the opponent. Certainly, there are wrinkles in each game (i.e. how to handle the pick and roll, whether to front the post, etc.) but defense is defense.

I also have a tough time believing the Celts showed up at the Garden seeing this as an exhibition.
It was a freelance game and the Celtics had no idea what the Cavs would do. Also, if the Cavs shoot 53% from the field in every game the rest of the way, they go ahead and give them the title. It's not going to happen. They had a great shooting night when everyone was focused and on their game. It happens in the NBA all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #561  
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 12,848
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I promise you that I come to Yappi to read other opinions and make my own comments, but them I get distracted by nonsense and it usually ends up as an attack on 14red. But he has company this time.



Clearly you have zero understanding of team sports dynamics. Bad relationships = poor chemistry = no enthusiasm = poor, lifeless play. It was so evident in their play. IT had a sole focus, his expiring contract, and his next contract. It was all about him.



LOL. One look at the faces on the Celtic bench at the end of the game tells you they cared deeply, and they learned yesterday they have no chance at the making the finals this year unless LBJ gets hurt. Message delivered.



LOL. the "old Cavs" were old and could not defend. DWade, IT, Frye. The "new Cavs" are long, athletic and young. Not even close as to which team is better.



No one in the league can shut down Kyrie. The purpose of the trade was not to shut down Kyrie. What is your point?
Watching Kyrie pouting on the bench in the 4th as his team got bent over was pretty funny.

You could almost see the thought in his head of WTF was I thinking?
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 12,848
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It was a freelance game and the Celtics had no idea what the Cavs would do. Also, if the Cavs shoot 53% from the field in every game the rest of the way, they go ahead and give them the title. It's not going to happen. They had a great shooting night when everyone was focused and on their game. It happens in the NBA all the time.
So there is no video on the new Cavs? They haven't scouted these guys before?
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Hes not known as weirdo on here for nothing.
Yea EP and you are normal??
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 02-12-18, 01:56 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I heard Bob Huggins once say that college basketball is 20 seconds of running your offense that never works because the other team has scouted you, followed by a pick and roll. That's now the NBA, with the exception of the Warriors. Defending it doesn't involve team specific planning.
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 02-12-18, 02:19 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,062
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It was a freelance game and the Celtics had no idea what the Cavs would do. Also, if the Cavs shoot 53% from the field in every game the rest of the way, they go ahead and give them the title. It's not going to happen. They had a great shooting night when everyone was focused and on their game. It happens in the NBA all the time.
It's a LeBron James centered team. Nothing changes, you dolt.
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 02-12-18, 02:24 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about an exhibition. LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 02-12-18, 03:10 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about an exhibition. LOL.
Cavs fans think all is well and they'll be back in the finals after one good game?
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 02-12-18, 03:15 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,653
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Cavs fans think all is well and they'll be back in the finals after one good game?
Nope, not the reasonable ones. Nor do they think this was an exhibition.
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 02-13-18, 10:35 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,727
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
"Yesterday was like an exhibition for the Celtics"

14Red never disappoints. That is an all-timer, even for him
Many empty expensive seats in the late 4th qtr.

I'm not so sure that the OKC fans have enjoyed their exhibition game
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 02-13-18, 10:41 PM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 12,848
y2h is on a distinguished road
Don't get excited...OKC thought it was an exhibition game

They didn't have a scouting report on the new Cavs, even though they all came from the West
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IUDOGS: 2017 - 2018 Ohio High School Girls Basketball Coaches Changes IUDOGS Girls Basketball 156 11-08-17 01:41 PM
2018 Ohio Novice State 1/7/2018 AmyMattin Wrestling 1 09-28-17 07:11 AM
Ohio HS Football (WEEK 1) TV, Radio, Internet Streaming Broadcasts jhc2010 Football 19 08-25-17 06:22 PM
TRYOUTS THIS WEEK: 2018 17U Grizzlies National Claim Your Spot GrizzliesCoach Baseball 2 07-30-17 12:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz