Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-18, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
14red wants the Cavs fan base to dwell on their effort prior to the trade versus their direction after it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 09:25 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It's incredible to me how Isaiah Thomas, coming back from hip surgery, played in only 15 games, and was suddenly a cancer on the team where everyone quit playing hard??
My first question to LeBron, JR, Tristen, Korver, Jeff Green after yesterday's game would have been..."Why were you playing so hard today? You haven't the last month?"
This is proof 14Red never played on a team past 5th grade.
Old 02-12-18, 09:30 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I think it was in the third quarter, LeBron and George Hill ran back to back to back pick and roll/pop plays and it worked each time. George Hill might have been the best picked up in the Cavs trade. His defense was stellar. He even forced Horford into a bad shot on the post and his shot came up short.
But did he shut Kyrie down ?
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
He was on some pretty bad Celtics teams.
He was.

He was a really good 3, too. Great piece. Not the elite player he wanted to pretend he was, though.
Old 02-12-18, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Did he? I didnt watch.
Old 02-12-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
He was on some pretty bad Celtics teams.
He sure was. His team averaged roughly 35 wins a season until Ainge brought in Garnett and Allen.

A comparison for Pierce- Pierce averaged 19-7 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 3.5 apg. Cavs 80s star Mike Mitchell averaged 19.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.3 apg. Nobody's throwing Mike Mitchell's jersey up in the rafters.
Old 02-12-18, 10:17 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
Old 02-12-18, 10:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
He sure was. His team averaged roughly 35 wins a season until Ainge brought in Garnett and Allen.

A comparison for Pierce- Pierce averaged 19-7 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 3.5 apg. Cavs 80s star Mike Mitchell averaged 19.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.3 apg. Nobody's throwing Mike Mitchell's jersey up in the rafters.
Mitchell's career average defensive box plus minus was -2.4. For reference, Isaiah Thomas' career average for DBPM is -2.8. His best year on defense his 2nd year and his DBPM was -1.4. PP's worst year was a -1.1 and his career average is 0.5. So not a defensive stalwart, he wasn't a liability on defense.

I wouldn't have hung PP's jersey from the rafters if it were up to me though.
Old 02-12-18, 10:28 AM
All World

Quote:
That was a nice opening win by the "new" Cavs, but let's not get too excited yet. This team's been resting for a couple of weeks now, and playing good basketball wasn't out of the ordinary. The Cavs had alot more to play for yesterday than the Celtics. For the Celtics, this was like an exhibition game. They had no idea, no game plan for the Cavs, it was a very vanilla defense. It's like in baseball when the triple A pitcher makes his major league debut and shuts a team down in 6 innings. No one has a scouting report. Brad Stephens will take that game film, and the games ahead and begin to look at the tendencies of the new guys and their strengths and weaknesses.
And don't forget the ceiling of the old Cavs was still much higher than their current team. This team has major contributors who've either never, or played very few "playoff" type games.
you dolt.
Old 02-12-18, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Weren't the Cavs in a similar or worse position given that they had never played and barely practiced together?????? They could only run the most basic stuff on offense and defense. Also, team defense is based on principles that apply across the board, regardless of the opponent. Certainly, there are wrinkles in each game (i.e. how to handle the pick and roll, whether to front the post, etc.) but defense is defense.

I also have a tough time believing the Celts showed up at the Garden seeing this as an exhibition.
Old 02-12-18, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Especially when it was a maor celebration day in honor of Pierce. If anything, I would have thought that the Celtics would have been motivated to put on a strong effort for their fans.
Old 02-12-18, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
you dolt.
He's approaching "The Dolt" status
Old 02-12-18, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

Exhibition.
Old 02-12-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Especially when it was a maor celebration day in honor of Pierce. If anything, I would have thought that the Celtics would have been motivated to put on a strong effort for their fans.
You just know that LeBron had to enjoy taking a giant stinking dump on Paul Pierce Day.
Old 02-12-18, 12:19 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I promise you that I come to Yappi to read other opinions and make my own comments, but them I get distracted by nonsense and it usually ends up as an attack on 14red. But he has company this time.

Quote:
It's incredible to me how Isaiah Thomas, coming back from hip surgery, played in only 15 games, and was suddenly a cancer on the team where everyone quit playing hard??
My first question to LeBron, JR, Tristen, Korver, Jeff Green after yesterday's game would have been..."Why were you playing so hard today? You haven't the last month?"
Clearly you have zero understanding of team sports dynamics. Bad relationships = poor chemistry = no enthusiasm = poor, lifeless play. It was so evident in their play. IT had a sole focus, his expiring contract, and his next contract. It was all about him.

Quote:
LOL. One look at the faces on the Celtic bench at the end of the game tells you they cared deeply, and they learned yesterday they have no chance at the making the finals this year unless LBJ gets hurt. Message delivered.

Quote:
LOL. the "old Cavs" were old and could not defend. DWade, IT, Frye. The "new Cavs" are long, athletic and young. Not even close as to which team is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
No one in the league can shut down Kyrie. The purpose of the trade was not to shut down Kyrie. What is your point?
Old 02-12-18, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

It was a joke. A poke at e_p and a past strawman argument he twisted up.

He took the bait and I ignored him.
Old 02-12-18, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
No one in the league can shut down Kyrie. The purpose of the trade was not to shut down Kyrie. What is your point?
Hes not known as weirdo on here for nothing.
Old 02-12-18, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
"Yesterday was like an exhibition for the Celtics"

14Red never disappoints. That is an all-timer, even for him
Old 02-12-18, 12:44 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
This is honestly the first time I may think he's just trolling. There are plenty of legitimate/potential reasons the Celtics lost, but them seeing it as an exhibition game is not even in the realm of possibility.
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Weren't the Cavs in a similar or worse position given that they had never played and barely practiced together?????? They could only run the most basic stuff on offense and defense. Also, team defense is based on principles that apply across the board, regardless of the opponent. Certainly, there are wrinkles in each game (i.e. how to handle the pick and roll, whether to front the post, etc.) but defense is defense.

I also have a tough time believing the Celts showed up at the Garden seeing this as an exhibition.
It was a freelance game and the Celtics had no idea what the Cavs would do. Also, if the Cavs shoot 53% from the field in every game the rest of the way, they go ahead and give them the title. It's not going to happen. They had a great shooting night when everyone was focused and on their game. It happens in the NBA all the time.
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
I promise you that I come to Yappi to read other opinions and make my own comments, but them I get distracted by nonsense and it usually ends up as an attack on 14red. But he has company this time.

Clearly you have zero understanding of team sports dynamics. Bad relationships = poor chemistry = no enthusiasm = poor, lifeless play. It was so evident in their play. IT had a sole focus, his expiring contract, and his next contract. It was all about him.

LOL. One look at the faces on the Celtic bench at the end of the game tells you they cared deeply, and they learned yesterday they have no chance at the making the finals this year unless LBJ gets hurt. Message delivered.

LOL. the "old Cavs" were old and could not defend. DWade, IT, Frye. The "new Cavs" are long, athletic and young. Not even close as to which team is better.

Watching Kyrie pouting on the bench in the 4th as his team got bent over was pretty funny.

You could almost see the thought in his head of WTF was I thinking?
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It was a freelance game and the Celtics had no idea what the Cavs would do. Also, if the Cavs shoot 53% from the field in every game the rest of the way, they go ahead and give them the title. It's not going to happen. They had a great shooting night when everyone was focused and on their game. It happens in the NBA all the time.
So there is no video on the new Cavs? They haven't scouted these guys before?
Old 02-12-18, 01:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Hes not known as weirdo on here for nothing.
Yea EP and you are normal??
Old 02-12-18, 01:56 PM
All Yappi

I heard Bob Huggins once say that college basketball is 20 seconds of running your offense that never works because the other team has scouted you, followed by a pick and roll. That's now the NBA, with the exception of the Warriors. Defending it doesn't involve team specific planning.
Old 02-12-18, 02:19 PM
All World

Quote:
It's a LeBron James centered team. Nothing changes, you dolt.
Old 02-12-18, 02:24 PM
All Yappi

Can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about an exhibition. LOL.
Old 02-12-18, 03:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Can't believe you guys are getting so worked up about an exhibition. LOL.
Cavs fans think all is well and they'll be back in the finals after one good game?
Old 02-12-18, 03:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Cavs fans think all is well and they'll be back in the finals after one good game?
Nope, not the reasonable ones. Nor do they think this was an exhibition.
Old 02-13-18, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
"Yesterday was like an exhibition for the Celtics"

14Red never disappoints. That is an all-timer, even for him
Many empty expensive seats in the late 4th qtr.

I'm not so sure that the OKC fans have enjoyed their exhibition game
Old 02-13-18, 10:41 PM
All Yappi

Don't get excited...OKC thought it was an exhibition game

They didn't have a scouting report on the new Cavs, even though they all came from the West