Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-04-18, 10:49 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
Top Coaches in Central Ohio

Who are the top coaches in Central Ohio?
1. Sharret -Pick Central
2. White - Davidson
3. Hale - Liberty
4. Crabtree - Coffman
5. Burchfield - Hartley

And if you were a new school (Berlin) and could pick any coach in Central Ohio to start your program who would it be?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 11:12 PM
Freshman

Most wins in the past 3 years...
1. Burchfield 36, Hartley
2. Sharret 35, Pick Central
3. Hale 31, Liberty
4. Wiggins 29, DeSales
5. Hillerich 28, Pick North/Hamilton Township
Others... Loparo 27, Bradley... Solis 26, Olentangy... Crabtree 25, Coffman
Old 01-04-18, 11:14 PM
All Region

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Maurice Douglas at Independence. Columbus City schools have been depleted and the 76ers literally had 25 players none of which would have started at a Pickerington or Dublin Coffman but his ability to get these kids to play hard is unmatched. I’d love to see him get a job at a good suburban school, if he does WATCH OUT!
Old 01-04-18, 11:40 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
White and Solis would be my Top 2.

For White, I think if you look at the number of State/Regional titles he's won to number of D1 players he's had on his rosters is remarkable. The dilution in Hilliard with the opening of Bradley will make it tough for him to ever replicate what they did from 2001-13, but his success over that period is simply incredible IMHO. If I could pick any coach and program for my kids to play for it would be White and Davidson. No hesitation.

Solis has turned a forever mediocre program (with a small "p") into a Program ( with a capital "P"). His teams play with a unique mix of toughness and finesse. If I was an AD looking to fill a HC job, Solis would be the first one I would call.

I couldn't see any on the list at the top jumping ship for Berlin. I think their best bet would be to find a young energetic guy like Gecewich (Jerome) or a long term Assistant from one of the good programs around (Crager from Coffman?).

The problem with finding a Gecewich is that it can be crapshoot. Westerville South probably thought they found one when brought The dude from Wadsworth down, and he flamed out after 2 years. The Jerome faithful were also not sold on Gecewich until he started winning. He's since turned Jerome into a totally different place.
Old 01-05-18, 12:21 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Mark Crabtree has success in both the smallest size classification and the largest. It’s not enough to qualify him as “the best”, but very few coaches in Central OH can brag that.

I give Rob Carpenter of Lancaster a ton of flak on here and plenty also on JJHuddle, but he really has accomplished more with less.
Old 01-05-18, 05:08 AM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
It's hard to rank coaches who have different dynamics in place that are unique, but as a first post I think the Hartley guy probably likes his guy Brad a lot . Number of wins he is first of course as his play off romps through the an overmatched regional has been a yearly thing until this year when they moved up a division and lost despite doubling up their opponent yardage wise .

I don't think you put Hale over Crabtree as that head to head is 8-0 in Crabtree's favor, although I am sure living in the recent past or not knowing the history putting Steve over Mark is an easy choice . Coffman has not done well in the play-offs though so it is a ding , but losing to the likes of Colerain and Wayne { 3 times } is hardly Crabtree's fault IMO, losing to Olentangy when they had a 10 point lead 3 TIMES DURING THE GAME including late can certainly be called into question. Losing to Davidson in 2012 when you beat the crap out of them during the regular season and by anyone with a clue's estimation was a better team is a permanent stain no doubt .

Solis is solid, no question, not liked in his own district , but that's not relevant I suppose to his coaching acumen , which is really good, no question , but I don't think he is in rarified air as LF has him may be? He has talent there , or has the last couple years , young talent and some good players who leave this year .

I believe making the Bradley excuse for White when no one let Crabtree use it when they lost some close ones to a Two school Hilliard district Davidson when Jerome opened up a few years earlier than Bradley is specious or just being bias . But we al know we have biases and White supporters think he walks on water and is dealt a bad talent hand EVERY YEAR and he can't be expected to prosper with a genetically inferior gene pool LMAO
Old 01-05-18, 09:51 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Who does Solis coach?
Old 01-05-18, 10:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I believe making the Bradley excuse for White when no one let Crabtree use it when they lost some close ones to a Two school Hilliard district Davidson when Jerome opened up a few years earlier than Bradley is specious or just being bias . But we al know we have biases and White supporters think he walks on water and is dealt a bad talent hand EVERY YEAR and he can't be expected to prosper with a genetically inferior gene pool LMAO
Plenty of people around Coffman used Jerome's opening as an excuse, particularly when Scioto beat them twice up in 2004. (I heard the words out Mssrs. Robinson and Hedderly's mouths with my own ears)

As to the rest of your post, you can dial back the hyperbole machine. I've never seen or heard anyone suggest that Davidson has "bad talent" or "a genetically inferior gene pool". I merely said that they've had extremely few DI kids on their rosters over the years. Empirical fact.

Secondly, I was making no "excuses" for White. I merely said that I do not think that he & Davidson will replicate the kind of success they had in the 2001 to 2013 window. Much of this I attribute to a shrinking enrollment (empirical fact, not an excuse).

You probably attribute it, like Scrumper, to CO coaches suddenly "cracking the code". Maybe you all discuss this at length when your spotting your mancrush on his "500 lb squats". LOL.

As for Hale, though, I agree. He got Liberty out of the shoot quickly when they first opened and they had a good playoff streak. They went in to something of a dry spell and a s recently as 3 years ago, there was much chirping around Powell that they wanted him replaced. The deep run they've made the past 2 years has probably bought him significant job security. I don't think I'd rank him anywhere near the top 5 of CO coaches however.
Old 01-05-18, 10:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Who does Solis coach?
Olentangy Classic (AKA: Lewis Center).
Old 01-05-18, 11:31 AM
All American

No question even the most ardent Davidson homer or admirer { You } have to admit that it was a tiny , finite, slight , miniscule , advantage that Davidson had in some of those years ? I didn't say no one ever brought that up but certainly no critics{ You} did .

Of course the bad genetic pool crap is meant to get a rise out of you and have you comment, you realize that I am sure? And yes that is a long running topic , just how small slow and untalented Davidson , I am well aware of all their D-1 talent and that has been my point all along , THE LACK of talent thing has been overblown by many to make some other point either to glorify White or the toughness of the kids and to disparage others , I think you can figure out who .

You can't seem to get over that crack the code thing LOL , I didn't agree with that and said so ,many times so as you say WEAK SAUCE comment , and in fact think they will be back to their normal output next year . I do believe that the talent level has been down no question, so the run game is more easily defensible and they don't really have any plan B or change anything no matter what the personnel , so when they have the certain right guys to run that exact system that doesn't change year to year they are good, when they don't ? They aren't as good , like starting in last years Coffman play-off game they gained feet not yards , . and all season in 2017 pretty much gaining under 3 yards a rush against decent teams

No need to be a dush here guy, as for man crushes you seem to have a few of your own , and yes a similar statement by someone else you would say it was an excuse, from yourself ? It's simply a statement that means what? If Crabtree gets crushed for over a decade for underachieving and had a school split a few years earlier and no critic ever gave him that out, it was always Davidson with a numbers advantage those few years was just tougher and better ? With not even a tiny caveat mention of the obvious .

Yes Coffman enrollment shrunk after Jerome opened, and Davidson's stayed the same or grew , don't remember you mentioning that empirical fact much ?
Old 01-05-18, 11:39 AM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Coach Hale also had a good run as head coach with Shelby. Final 4 I believe. He also had a rough time at Grobeport. Everyone does.

Coach White had done a great job over the years. Can’t be questioned.

Coach Burfield has locked up the Parochial ares and has a great program going. Seems like kids want to play for him.
Coach Sharett has it going at Central. North is also tough. Hillerich also did a good job at Hamilton.

Others include Coach Waters at Licking Heights.. he has a program. Coach Carter at Johnstown.

Bottom line is there are many outstanding coaches in the area. It is very hard to pick the overall top coaches. It is fun to discuss.
Old 01-05-18, 12:00 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Hands down in my opinion...Coach White.
Old 01-05-18, 12:11 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyap View Post
Bottom line is there are many outstanding coaches in the area.
Indeed. Brian Haffele at Marion Franklin since he hasn't been mentioned yet.
Old 01-05-18, 12:29 PM
All American

I think Burchfield does a good job obviously, but going back to the D-5 and 4 days he had some pretty nice personnel advantages as well as being the only catholic , he has maintained it for a while to his credit, but it isn't exactly and overachieving program.

Yes I have long said that the lack of talent at Davidson has been overblown some of which is for the reasons I mention above .

That being said, White goes to the top of the list for consistency and the play-off wins and titles, his system enabled his teams to beat teams running more modern systems with greater talent levels in varying degrees { Mentor defense wasn't that good , Glenville talent great coaching ? , Colerain had more talent and size overall Elder the only catholic they defeated on their two runs was good not great IMO} , shortening the games , BUT THEY ALSO HAD EXCLLENT DEFESNES .

Sharrett is the high school version of the players coach, I know the hard core PC fans have a love dislike some of the decisions relationship with him, they aren't haters, it's a good staff over there , with their demo I think they coach them the right way or a way where they can be successful .

Santagata at Darby is underrated, and does an excellent job and Magistro overall has had a heckuva career .

Not much time to delve but always a somewhat interesting topic
Old 01-05-18, 12:49 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Burchfield does a good job obviously, but going back to the D-5 and 4 days he had some pretty nice personnel advantages as well as being the only catholic , he has maintained it for a while to his credit, but it isn't exactly and overachieving program.
Other than him doing a good job, the rest of that is just about completely wrong. You should quit commenting on a program you admittedly know little to nothing about at the point where you're done being complimentary.

Good shout-outs to Santagata and Magistro, though.
Old 01-05-18, 02:22 PM
All American

Were they not the only catholic at the regional level ? YES they were , are you saying that theyn had no talent advantages due to being able to draw kids from other than a small two stoplight town in the middle of nowhere ?

Come on man we've been over this , they got better athletes play all publics at the D-4 D-5 REGIONAL LEVEL and won almost every game for a while , 80 percent by wide margins .

Sorry , I know what I am talking about, they were unlike the teams in their region in many ways, beating them like a drum wasn't the little engine that could story. Is it that hard to see the difference between them and Plain City high , and Indian river Tech ?
Old 01-05-18, 03:33 PM
All World

Quote:
THE LACK of talent thing has been overblown by many to make some other point either to glorify White or the toughness of the kids and to disparage others , I think you can figure out who .
Sincere question, Stiv, do you sincerely believe that it has been "overblown"?

Do you not concede that it is the least bit impressive (or instructive) that the program has produced more Regional titles than it has had P5 football players on its rosters? I'm guessing there are very few DI schools in Ohio that can say that.
Old 01-05-18, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Brian Cross / Bishop Ready. won every where he has been ....

Big school and Small Schools

Deserves to at least be mentioned
Old 01-05-18, 04:09 PM
All American

Is saying overstated better? I mean if I say the kids have little talent you and others start reciting the list of D-1 kids, if I say I think the talent is better than most say and the lack of material is over-stated, I get the opposite, can't really win or ever give them enough credit , I get that, no praise is too much .

Never said it wasn't impressive, you've been reading everything I have written on this for years now, , so while we are at it, why is it that that swatch of real estate produces so few D-1 kids? I am really curious as to what inherent disadvantages they have . Of course I see them compared to the current demo of say Pickerington and that's an easy one.
But seriously why is it they have that little talent { OH no here comes the list OF d-1 kids} .

Look fans of any team can talk themselves in to whatever puts them in a more positive light , Hartley fans can imagine being the earnest tiny poor catholic school that somehow started beating the small publics by an average of 3-4 scores from the sticks and stick their chest out, go for it , I just don't have to share your pride and thoughts
Old 01-05-18, 04:13 PM
All American

Davidson has had some nice sized and skilled lines , may be not D-1 length or athletic ability , but some college level players and a nice handful that I can think of off the top of my head of very good defensive players.

Never said the run and program is anything but impressive, there is no denying that , and again I do think they get back to their more regular level next year, not vintage deep run Davidson but play-offs and may be win a game
Old 01-05-18, 05:18 PM
All Region

Walt is on a distinguished road
Jay Sharrett: 15 seasons, 154 wins, no losing seasons, 14 playoff appearances, 13 OCC championships, 5 Regional Championships, and 2017 State Championship!
Old 01-05-18, 05:43 PM
Moderated User

Westgbooster is on a distinguished road
Not central Ohio but Craemer Brian has to be in the conversation
Old 01-05-18, 05:44 PM
All American

Pretty impressive, consistent , and now it seems a 100 percent 'Destination" school , easily the most individual talent going forward than any other CO program .
Old 01-05-18, 07:30 PM
Freshman

I think the top 2 are with no question Sharrett & White.

Burchfield has won at a regional title at a small public school as well. I think he would have to make the move to the OCC and win to ever pass White or Sharrett.

With Jacoby leaving DeSales and not being able to win (at 3 different schools) it can hurt the image of private school coaches.
Old 01-05-18, 07:36 PM
Freshman

Top Young Coaches...
Hillerich
Gecewich
Loparo
Schroeder

Don't think any of these guys would leave their situations for Berlin...
If I were Berlin I would have been calling Burchfield.
Old 01-05-18, 07:39 PM
Freshman

Haffele is another top young coach... shocked he hasn't left Marion Franklin.
Old 01-06-18, 06:05 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
Haffele probably has not left because schools won’t pay him the years he has accrued in the city. This he would possibly be taking a pay cut to go to another school. I would agree that he is a fine coach— especially after last years accomplishments.
Old 01-07-18, 09:27 AM
Junior Varsity

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Donít forget about Brett Glass, Jonathan Alder, when it comes to young guys. Heís has 26 wins in the last three years.
Old 01-07-18, 10:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley1 View Post
Top Young Coaches...
Hillerich
Gecewich
Loparo
Schroeder

Don't think any of these guys would leave their situations for Berlin...
If I were Berlin I would have been calling Burchfield.
I could see Gecewich leaving just to get away from the parents at Jerome. They've lost coaches in other sports just for that reason...
Old 01-07-18, 02:45 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I could see Gecewich leaving just to get away from the parents at Jerome. They've lost coaches in other sports just for that reason...
That stinks. Are the parents there any worse there at Jerome than at similar schools like Liberty, New Albany, UA? Jerome has a pretty good athletic department overall. The OCC Cardinal is really geared to be a fight between Jerome, Darby and Bradley for the All Sports trophy on a regular basis.