Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-17, 02:31 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Now if the small animal, say a tiger cub, had been run over by a negligently driven fire truck, then TigerLB might appear to voice a comment or two.
Right here, all the way from his ocean-front estate out there in Arizona is our favorite Ignatius fan with the absolute damn post of the month. Well done, sir.
Old 05-09-17, 07:11 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Now if the small animal, say a tiger cub, had been run over by a negligently driven fire truck, then TigerLB might appear to voice a comment or two.
The pain from '91 still stings to this very day. Fate robbed us...That hurts worse than anything you possibly do to Obie.
Old 05-09-17, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Click image for larger version

Name:	saban tp.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1623
Old 05-15-17, 06:58 PM
All District

Rambo1980 is on a distinguished road
I saw recently a lot of staff turnover. What happened to both coordinators?
Old 05-15-17, 08:46 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1980 View Post
I saw recently a lot of staff turnover. What happened to both coordinators?
OC got a head coaching job in Indiana, DC resigned. THANK YOU LORD. He is now DC at Middletown. Sorry Middie fans.
Old 05-16-17, 10:09 AM
All District

Rambo1980 is on a distinguished road
Firewatch,
Thanks for the information.

DC resign for personal reasons or asked to leave?
Old 05-16-17, 11:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1980 View Post
Firewatch,
Thanks for the information.

DC resign for personal reasons or asked to leave?
He was exposed...He was touted as a defensive guru and he turned out to be a bust. His philosophy and terminology was a bit over the top and confusing at best, especially at the high school level. Thank God he's moving on
Old 05-17-17, 10:40 PM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
That's one explanation making the rounds. Another is working for Moore is a tough situation. Also part of the new Massillon tradition is to blame coaching rather than admit a lack of overall talent.
Old 05-18-17, 09:11 AM
Junior Varsity

TheVille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23xTigers View Post
He was exposed...He was touted as a defensive guru and he turned out to be a bust. His philosophy and terminology was a bit over the top and confusing at best, especially at the high school level. Thank God he's moving on
Are you serious? Time to wake up in talentless Tiger town!!! Funny how the DC and his complicated for high school defense was able to be understood and win everywhere else without complaint. Clearly you don't know defense!
Tiger town needs stop clinging to the past!
Even Milan High School (Hoosiers) has moved on, maybe you should too.
Old 05-18-17, 10:51 AM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVille View Post
Are you serious? Time to wake up in talentless Tiger town!!! Funny how the DC and his complicated for high school defense was able to be understood and win everywhere else without complaint. Clearly you don't know defense!
Take your own advice, time to move on, nothing to see here. You know nothing about the Tigers or Cupps, post about things you do know instead of making a fool of yourself.
Old 05-18-17, 11:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Take your own advice, time to move on, nothing to see here. You know nothing about the Tigers or Cupps, post about things you do know instead of making a fool of yourself.
Spoken like someone in denial of the actual truth. You obviously can't prove otherwise! Clearly you are part of the problem. The fool is townie football fan like you who doesn't know the game. Quit whining and get on the sidelines then!
Old 05-18-17, 04:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Spoken like someone in denial of the actual truth. You obviously can't prove otherwise! Clearly you are part of the problem. The fool is townie football fan like you who doesn't know the game. Quit whining and get on the sidelines then!

Clearly not part of the problem, I live in FL. Again, stick to things you know something about, if there is such a thing.
Old 05-18-17, 04:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker300 View Post
Clearly not part of the problem, I live in FL. Again, stick to things you know something about, if there is such a thing.
I've read some of his other posts. Believe me he knows about 1/10 of what he claims to know.
Old 05-18-17, 04:21 PM
All American

Extra Point is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
His "Philosophy and Terminology" worked well at LaSalle......Maybe it was the audience......

Cue the private v. public waltz music.....ta da da da da......da da....da da......ta da da da da.......da da......da da......ta da da da da.......da da ......da da......ta da da da da....da da....da da.......
Old 05-18-17, 04:34 PM
All World

Right. Because everyone knows that's not a legitimate complaint.
Old 05-18-17, 04:36 PM
All American

Hayden Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Massillon Tigers Thread 1,211

In other news Massillon takes an L to Jackson in baseball.

Unfortunately never got a chance for Massillon to take a hard L in basketball to Jackson because they couldn't get past Hoover

Last edited by Hayden Fox; 05-18-17 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Point View Post
His "Philosophy and Terminology" worked well at LaSalle......Maybe it was the audience......
There was discussion on Massillon.com that pointed to Cupps maybe thinking so. More than once, he (supposedly) questioned the 'ability' of the team to grasp his defense.
Old 05-18-17, 05:07 PM
All Ohio

The Revolution is on a distinguished road
Jason Hall made the comment multiple times how much he had to dumb down the offense from what he ran at Nordonia.
Old 05-18-17, 09:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
First and foremost have you ever heard the man talk? When he is breaking things down for the kids it sounds like he is a philosophy professor.At the high school level the more complex the system the more likely it is to fail. Kids need to be able to see their keys and react. From what I saw on the field the last two years was poor technique and very poor fundamentals and at the end of the day that falls on the coaching staff. You don't have to be uber talented to wrap up and drive through while tackling or make the correct read. Hammer home the fundamentals and a bit of talent will win you a lot of ball games at the high school level. Where did Cupps have all this success at besides LaSalle, Springfield? With all the talent and depth on those LaSalle teams it would be very hard to screw that up. Now we certainly don't have the talent and depth on the sidelines that the top private schools throughout the State have, but we do have enough to be competitive.
Old 05-19-17, 07:21 AM
Varsity

Pigskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First and foremost have you ever heard the man talk? When he is breaking things down for the kids it sounds like he is a philosophy professor.At the high school level the more complex the system the more likely it is to fail. Kids need to be able to see their keys and react. From what I saw on the field the last two years was poor technique and very poor fundamentals and at the end of the day that falls on the coaching staff. You don't have to be uber talented to wrap up and drive through while tackling or make the correct read. Hammer home the fundamentals and a bit of talent will win you a lot of ball games at the high school level. Where did Cupps have all this success at besides LaSalle, Springfield? With all the talent and depth on those LaSalle teams it would be very hard to screw that up. Now we certainly don't have the talent and depth on the sidelines that the top private schools throughout the State have, but we do have enough to be competitive.
Sorry, I have to jump in here. Cupps' defense is not that hard to understand. Before he made his fortune at Springfield or LaSalle, he coached at Graham High School, one of the worst football programs in the state. He was able to help cobble together a string of successful seasons, including a few playoff games. If a bunch of farmboys (great kids, but not exactly rocket scientists) can grasp the basic fundamentals of an even front defense, anyone can.

I will grant you that his ego is massive, but he cares about the kids and is a very good football coach. Maybe he forgot the KISS principle. Maybe since he landed at Massillion (football mecca??) he figured the kids were football gurus. Forgot they were teenagers like everywhere else. Too bad it didn't work out at Massillion.
Old 05-19-17, 07:26 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
A good coach adjusts to the talent. If you fail as a coach because your scheme is over the heads of your talent, that's on you, not the kids.

For what it's worth, the Massillon team I saw last year had the talent of a regular season 8-2, first round playoff loss team.
Old 05-19-17, 10:20 AM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
I disagree with your assertion that at the HS level complex offenses are doomed to fail. I look no further than offense that Steubenville runs. It is very complex with a really nice balance of run/pass. They are masters at running on passing downs and vice versa. The offense involves a lot of shifting and motioning into different formations. Opposing coaches are frequently quoted as saying that they confuse teams with so many formations. They use a mix of spread, power run game and pro sets. Trust me, it is very complicated and very difficult to stop.
Old 05-19-17, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
wrong crimson

they have a handful of plays and can run them from many formation sets.
I have watched the BIG RED several years - their "bucket" play is still the same "bucket" play they ran over 15 years ago. just have some new formations and couple more passes in the ole book now.

and many times your pass plays have a targeted route not a read of the secondary - this coming from a former qb for the red that I have spoken with - not knocking the offense - big red gets the ball into the hands of their top guys - this may be why they are consistently successful - they don't mess around with trying to do alot
Old 05-19-17, 03:01 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
I am also a former QB for the Big Red. Unfortunately it was during the down years of the late 70's. Like most teams yes, they run a limited number of plays from many different sets. And yes many of their pass plays are to a pre derterminrd target. But pre snap reads and changes in plays at the line are a huge part of the offense. And with a lot of zone read plays that almost mimic veer action the QBS ability to make decisions is huge. And with the number of formations that they employ, it is a complex offense.
Old 05-19-17, 04:30 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
John Cupps is the reason that WHS hasn't won a title in the past two years. Period. Defense needs to be dumbed down to our kids' level. What a pompous guy. Leave it alone all of you loser, Tiger haters.

All of that college talent and coach's kids on the team and Cupps ruined it all! How are all of those college recruits supposed to overcome such a horrible coordinator?

There is a new dean of students in town, and I am sure that the state of OH is shaking in their boots. Massillon is going to ride their newest, greatest gym teacher and #girlpower to a state championship this year. Book it.
Old 05-19-17, 06:16 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskin View Post
Sorry, I have to jump in here. Cupps' defense is not that hard to understand. Before he made his fortune at Springfield or LaSalle, he coached at Graham High School, one of the worst football programs in the state. He was able to help cobble together a string of successful seasons, including a few playoff games. If a bunch of farmboys (great kids, but not exactly rocket scientists) can grasp the basic fundamentals of an even front defense, anyone can.

I will grant you that his ego is massive, but he cares about the kids and is a very good football coach. Maybe he forgot the KISS principle. Maybe since he landed at Massillion (football mecca??) he figured the kids were football gurus. Forgot they were teenagers like everywhere else. Too bad it didn't work out at Massillion.
The biggest problem Massillon is having is teaching the fundamentals of the defense or offense when the kids are in youth and middle school. By the time they get to High school they should know everything about whatever system it is. Not learning it for the first time. I have said for years when they closed down the junior highs for the 1 middle school model it doomed the football program. Kids used to be put in a position in 7th grade and you perfected it by 9th grade. When you got to the high school you were ready to play. Today that doesn't happen. You show me a good high school football team. I bet money their youth program is just as solid. Massillon has lost this advantage. Teams like Big Red, Mogadore, Louisville all have great middle school and youth programs that teach the high school system. Until Massillon fixes the younger levels they will be an average team.
Old 05-19-17, 10:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
The biggest problem Massillon is having is teaching the fundamentals of the defense or offense when the kids are in youth and middle school. By the time they get to High school they should know everything about whatever system it is. Not learning it for the first time. I have said for years when they closed down the junior highs for the 1 middle school model it doomed the football program. Kids used to be put in a position in 7th grade and you perfected it by 9th grade. When you got to the high school you were ready to play. Today that doesn't happen. You show me a good high school football team. I bet money their youth program is just as solid. Massillon has lost this advantage. Teams like Big Red, Mogadore, Louisville all have great middle school and youth programs that teach the high school system. Until Massillon fixes the younger levels they will be an average team.
Agree with this line of thinking 100%. As I said, being fundamentally sound alone will win you a lot of ball games. Go Tigers!
Old 05-21-17, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Wait...is this the same Cupps that was DC for the LaSalle championship team(s)? They seemed to grasp his defense pretty well.
Old 05-22-17, 09:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
John Cupps is the reason that WHS hasn't won a title in the past two years. Period. Defense needs to be dumbed down to our kids' level. What a pompous guy. Leave it alone all of you loser, Tiger haters.

All of that college talent and coach's kids on the team and Cupps ruined it all! How are all of those college recruits supposed to overcome such a horrible coordinator?

There is a new dean of students in town, and I am sure that the state of OH is shaking in their boots. Massillon is going to ride their newest, greatest gym teacher and #girlpower to a state championship this year. Book it.
Nothing to do with former or current coaches at all....Talentless Tiger town will NEVER win a state title in the playoff era. NEVER!
Carve it in stone Chucky!!!
Old 05-22-17, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Nothing to do with former or current coaches at all....Talentless Tiger town will NEVER win a state title in the playoff era. NEVER!
Carve it in stone Chucky!!!
Gotta love it when 2 people, both trolling Massillon, get in an argument because they were too stupid to realize the obvious. Get a clue, fool, he was being sarcastic.
Closed Thread