Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-19-17, 11:12 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Studs not making it out

I saw some kids in major events not making it out this week.

Anyone else see:

(1) Kids fall-pretty windy where I was. Direct effect on the hurdle races and some sprints.
(2) false starts
(3) hand off DQ's
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 11:19 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
DJ chambers of Carlisle is not running at all
Old 05-19-17, 11:37 AM
All District

billcarson is on a distinguished road
5th place(Bay) 4x800 at D2 Bedford ran 8:20, which would have won at the other 4 NE D2 Districts. Woodridge ran 8:19 for 4th.
Old 05-19-17, 02:35 PM
All Region

LoveCrossCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
I saw some kids in major events not making it out this week.

Anyone else see:

(1) Kids fall-pretty windy where I was. Direct effect on the hurdle races and some sprints.
(2) false starts
(3) hand off DQ's
I have seen many false starts and relay DQs when it just stops an athlete or team right there from moving on who likely would have. It's tough, but that's part of the sport.
Old 05-19-17, 10:38 PM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
a 4:58 did not make it out of Mason District in girls 1600 and a 4:03 4x400 girls did not even make it to regional
Old 05-20-17, 04:54 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
That's impressive, but the more pressing question in my mind is, how does Kings have 2 girls under 5:00 in the 1600 and a third girl under 11:20 in the 3200 and 2 other girls under 2:17 in the 800 and not have a dominant CC team? Heck, their 4x800 could be looking at breaking 9:00.
Old 05-20-17, 07:12 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
That's impressive, but the more pressing question in my mind is, how does Kings have 2 girls under 5:00 in the 1600 and a third girl under 11:20 in the 3200 and 2 other girls under 2:17 in the 800 and not have a dominant CC team? Heck, their 4x800 could be looking at breaking 9:00.
Maybe many of those girls are playing soccer. Ive seen soccer kids come out and excel at distance on the track.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-17, 01:29 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
a 4:58 did not make it out of Mason District in girls 1600 and a 4:03 4x400 girls did not even make it to regional
That was Ellie Brush of Mason that didn't make it out with a 4:58. She was 3rd in the state in the 1600 last year. Mason's 4x8 team, that Ellie was a part of, did move on to regional. Ellie is going to run collegiately at Virginia Tech, BTW.

In the Brunswick 3200 girls final, all qualifiers to regional were under 11:00. 5th place was 11:19. That would move on in most districts. Brunswick's Rebecca Caddock & Felicia Pasdyn took first & second respectively at 10:37 & 10:44. That's impressive.

Quote:
Hannah Rasmussen, the winner of the 1600, I believe had some injury issues toward the end of last XC season. Unfortunately for Kings, but fortunately for the other SW Ohio teams, she's a senior. She seems to have really gelled since last XC season and through this track season. I'm not sure where she's going to school.

The other top finisher in the 1600, Leah Maschino, is a junior. As Coventry Guy alluded to, some of the girls may have played soccer. I'm pretty sure that she is late to running and prior to last year had primarily been a soccer player. Also I'm fairly certain that one of those 2:17 800 runners did not run XC and played soccer in the fall.
Old 05-20-17, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Defending boys DII 110H state champion and 300H runner-up Malachi Mellema from St. Clairsville did not compete in the hurdle events at Meadowbrook. I can only assume that he has been battling injuries this season as his 2017 results are few and far between.
Old 05-20-17, 03:53 PM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
S

Kings regional had (1) Centerville, (2) Troy and (3) Beavercreek girls for xc. Not to mention Mason girls, which is also a traditional power. So Kings had a little trouble with the regional when you have those 3 powers + Mason ahead of you.

Another district for the southwest had a 11:08 girl in the 3200 not make it out.

Another explanation:
Some kids we have are just track kids and other kids are just xc kids. They can't do both well. 16:20 boy that can't break 10:00. Or a 2:15 girl 800 and 5:01 runner that can't break 20:00. Sometimes it doesn't transfer well. Two completely sports for some kids.

All regionals are cyclical.

It is an exciting time for girls running.
Old 05-20-17, 05:44 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
S

Kings regional had (1) Centerville, (2) Troy and (3) Beavercreek girls for xc. Not to mention Mason girls, which is also a traditional power. So Kings had a little trouble with the regional when you have those 3 powers + Mason ahead of you.
Kings actually didn't make it out of the VOA District A last XC season and only had one runner, Hannah Rasmussen, qualify to the Troy regional. Mason, Cinci SUA, Mercy, Lakota West, and Colerain all made it to Troy. Kings was only 1 point out of the 5th qualifying spot. (District B at VOA had 4 team qualifiers to Troy - Ursuline, Lakota East, Turpin, and McAuley)
Old 05-20-17, 07:14 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe those girls are choosing to be true multi-sport athletes like has been proposed on here with regard to football players. It's good for the kids and their HS experience. Maybe they have chosen to run in the spring and compete in another sport in the fall. We should all support and encourage such decisions.
Old 05-20-17, 09:37 PM
All World

Cross Country is a completely different sport than track and field. Hence, the different seasons.

The point is that Kings should be very excited about their talent. Not many schools ever have performances like that and they did it all on one day. Impressive. Any coach would be excited about that and would be crunching numbers trying to figure out how to turn that into success elsewhere. I can imagine the conversations I'd be having.
Old 05-21-17, 05:44 AM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Cross Country is a completely different sport than track and field. Hence, the different seasons.

I think all on this forum are very much aware of that. I certainly don't see anyone suggesting otherwise.

It's good these ladies broaden their athletic experiences in high school.
Old 05-21-17, 08:10 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
What happened to SVSM 4 by 100?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-17, 09:18 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
St. V's #3 pulled up lame but just enough to hand it off.
Old 05-23-17, 11:44 AM
All District

Seppo Kaitainen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
That was Ellie Brush of Mason that didn't make it out with a 4:58. She was 3rd in the state in the 1600 last year. Mason's 4x8 team, that Ellie was a part of, did move on to regional. Ellie is going to run collegiately at Virginia Tech, BTW.
Those times are nuts! Girls running seems to be getting faster and more competitive every year. Medina and Brunswick have two girls on their team under 5 minutes, which used to be a once a generation type thing. Is it better coaching, more people taking it seriously? Or has it always been this way and I just haven't paid enough attention?
Old 05-23-17, 12:08 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo Kaitainen View Post
Those times are nuts! Girls running seems to be getting faster and more competitive every year. Medina and Brunswick have two girls on their team under 5 minutes, which used to be a once a generation type thing. Is it better coaching, more people taking it seriously? Or has it always been this way and I just haven't paid enough attention?
The top times are definitely better now than even a decade ago. Really even five years ago. (In 2012 it was remarkable when 5:03 didn't make it out of our district.) Maybe a better way to put it is that there are a lot more people running those kinds of times. Probably a combination of better coaching, more people seriously training. These trends tend to be self reinforcing. When more people are running fast, the people competing with them tend to also run fast.
Old 05-23-17, 12:17 PM
Varsity

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo Kaitainen View Post
I think a factor is more girls getting into sports particularly soccer at an young age. So they get used to playing sports/running/competing and that carries over to more HS runners. Then the more runners means a greater chance of having a great runner.
Old 05-23-17, 01:02 PM
All American

I also think that athletes, all athletes in all sports and in general, are giving more attention to some details, nutrition most notably, than they once were. Kids are stronger and faster now (I'm speaking in generalities, of course). There have always been a stud or two but now there are more of them. Kids also seek out additional training that they didn't before - technical training, in particular, to work on a specific aspect of the sport. This has been common for a long time in sports like basketball, baseball, soccer, and football. In track it was the throwers, jumpers, and sprinters that primarily sought out additional technical training. We're now seeing more distance runners do this as well.

It also helps that there are more good runners. Good runners help spawn more good runners due to competition. I'll take the example of Maddie Walker of Amelia HS and Sam Bush of Turpin. The schools are only 8 or 9 miles apart. Those girls push each other and use each other as a measuring stick to guage their performances. I believe that Arjun Jha, Hunter Moore, CJ Ambrosio, Dustin Horter, and others would all be better if they were all in the same town. More than likely they would see each other more often in completion and this would help them.
Old 05-23-17, 05:27 PM
All World

So, are the times really better than 10 years ago? I'm not even going to look at times, but I'm going to guess that Emily Infeld, Stephanie Morgan, Claire Durkin, Brooklin Ridder and Audrey Maheu are as fast or faster than girls now.
(2007 was a pretty good year for girls... I think those all ran in 2007) Oh, Casandra Schenk too from Crestwood. Then go even a bit further back Katy Radkewich, Suni Olding and Bridgett Franek. Maggie Infeld and others. Are fastest times significantly faster if at all?
Old 05-23-17, 06:07 PM
All American

You're right, psycho, and I'm not disputing that. I don't believe anyone else is either. I'm sure the times were as fast or faster when looking back through the Ohio prep history of the sport - on the girls and guys side. It just seems that now the depth of talent is greater. The sheer numbers of fast runners seems to be greater. I could be wrong, though.
Old 05-24-17, 06:58 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quality athletes and performances have come from every time era. Those girls listed were fantastic but the quality depth has increased dramatically on the girls side. As recent as 10-15 years ago people were deeply impressed by a girl approaching 5:00 and we are now at a point where it might not even get out of district. It is expected now. The D3 girl broke 4:50 at the state meet last spring and the people I was sitting with shrugged like it was normal. The
D1 girl ran one of the top times ever for Ohio at New Balance and I am not sure many even know because it is expected. When I coached during that previous era a girl under 2:20 was viewed as one of the elite runners and today a D1 team better have 4 well under that just to get to state. To look at depth, maybe it is more accurate to look at the 4 X 800.
Old 05-24-17, 08:29 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Times are absolutely much faster now. Really for both boys and girls. No the absolute fastest times aren't necessarily always faster, but overall absolutely. The mean and median times/mark of the top 8 and top 16 athletes in the district meets here (Central Ohio) are better by a (statistically) significant amount than 15 and 10 years ago. The only event without really clear improvement is the long jump. (I used a 3 year rolling average of times, rather than single years, in order to smooth out anomalies.) I would bet a considerable sum a similar trend is true for the state meet. If you look at the number of boys under 4:20 in the 1600, girls under 60 in the 400 or number of girls under 11:00 in the 3200 it is true. Those are just three I had easy access to.
Old 05-24-17, 08:42 AM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
the absolute fastest times aren't necessarily always faster
Great point and don't forget we are comparing over 30 years worth of opportunities versus the past 10.
Old 05-24-17, 02:47 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
We just had this discussion, my daughter is not a traditional runner (very tall and thicker) but had incredible coaching and took her compeitiveness from basketball and soccer and translated that to track and cross country. If it weren't for the coaches teaching her how to best use her body, proper nutrition, stretching and using training methods that worked she never would have had the success she had. 4 year varsity runner with league/city/district honors and a passion for the sport.