Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-18, 06:59 AM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Louisville Leopards getting Turf

I was at dinner last night and ran into the father of a returning player who said a private group of donors has started work on the field. The field will be finished by end of Oct and ready for play this spring when the season opens. He told me that they will also be doing some upgrades to the softball field next summer. I am excited to see the new field and it should give the Leopards some advantages in the spring when other schools aren't able to practice or play because of wet conditions. Pretty awesome that individuals are willing to spend their time and personal money to help out (was told not a single dime came from the school for this project).
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-18, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Turf fields are nice and you can get out and practice before most teams and also be able to get in a couple more games....early on.

Local school got one a number of years ago. Had to do more replacements much sooner than expected and when the time came the parks dept, city, school and initial donor stood around looking at eachother (figuratively) as to whom was going to be paying for it.

Overall it hasn't helped their program success at all, but it is a great addition.
Old 10-30-18, 08:08 AM
Freshman

smittyRB is on a distinguished road
Looks like the big donors in Louisville have started moving away from the football program and giving their money to other programs. There was a new video board in the works that got shelved because they couldn't find enough support, but now the baseball team is able to find it? Interesting...Excited to see the finished product. Haven't seen anything in any of the papers yet, did they announce what the plans are?
Old 11-09-18, 07:58 AM
Varsity

I stopped by yesterday and they are just about done. It looks incredible, can't wait to stop by in the spring and catch a game. On top of the turf addition I think the team returns all all 9 starters plus some young pitchers off a team that lost 1-0 to Tallmadge in the tourney
Old 11-09-18, 08:56 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Local school got one a number of years ago. Had to do more replacements much sooner than expected and when the time came the parks dept, city, school and initial donor stood around looking at eachother (figuratively) as to whom was going to be paying for it.
As all of these schools put turf in, I have long wondered about whether or not some of them sill struggle with replacing that turf when the time comes in 10-15 years. I know of some schools that financed the turf which means they are basically asking the Boosters to raise $30,000 per year - in perpetuity - just for turf. I know everyone is starting to act like it is a "must have" but there will be practical and financial consequences for booster clubs and schools districts alike as the try to replace this on an ongoing basis.

Also, I have never bought into the "but it costs $40,000 to maintain a grass field." That is only if you are counting the labor which means you only realize that savings if you lay off a custodian . . . I have not seen a school district do it that yet. Do not get me wrong, it is nice and a great luxury but it is a luxury and there will be issues with trying to replace that luxury in many, many places.
Old 11-15-18, 04:33 PM
Varsity

You have valid point, but numbers are off a bit. I ran into the guy who put the project together at Giant Eagle about a week ago. The cost to buy and lay Turf was around $125k. Yes it will need replace in 15 + years so that needs to be accounted for. My understanding is the plan is to rent out the field in summer to travel tournaments at about $125 a game to offset some of that cost. That certainly won't cover it all but it will help in 15 years.
Old 11-15-18, 04:40 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
In one weekend event you can play at least 10 games (1 Thurs 1 Fri 4 Sat 4 Sun). In 2019 there are 10 available weekends to play HS age group events. That is 100 games in the summer. Not even counting any fall ball games you want to host in Aug/Sept.

125 per game x 100 is 12500.

12500 x 15 years is 187,500.

Turf is always the way to go in NE Ohio. Bravo to Louisville for getting this done.
Old 11-15-18, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
As all of these schools put turf in, I have long wondered about whether or not some of them sill struggle with replacing that turf when the time comes in 10-15 years. I know of some schools that financed the turf which means they are basically asking the Boosters to raise $30,000 per year - in perpetuity - just for turf. I know everyone is starting to act like it is a "must have" but there will be practical and financial consequences for booster clubs and schools districts alike as the try to replace this on an ongoing basis.

Also, I have never bought into the "but it costs $40,000 to maintain a grass field." That is only if you are counting the labor which means you only realize that savings if you lay off a custodian . . . I have not seen a school district do it that yet. Do not get me wrong, it is nice and a great luxury but it is a luxury and there will be issues with trying to replace that luxury in many, many places.
OUr HS is looking to get it for football. Coincidentally, the field got some sort of fungus or whatever and it ended in its worst condition in an extremely long time.

I would love to see the books on the 20K figure many throw out that it takes to maintain a field per year. I just dont see that as a legit number but I could be wrong. I see them mowing it every week or so when the season gets near, treatments a couple times a year, lined a few times, watered in the summer and such.

I think much of the savings they tout is a bit loaded. It factors in the 300K or whatever it took to install as 'free money' and doesn't hit their ledger but that is only if they consider it all donated money.

If it truly would save 20-30K a year then they would be smart to put it in themselves to save money in the long run but I think they realize the numbers dont jive.
Old 11-18-18, 12:33 PM
Freshman

HSFan1 is on a distinguished road
The reality of replacement costs for baseball turf is that typically major wear areas--batting boxes, mound if turfed (in front of rubber down to landing area) and bases can be isolated out and replaced as needed. The wear areas are typically covered under warranty for a prescribed period of time. I would agree that turf does not necessarily make a team play better but getting on the field early in the season to practice, getting games in and revenue during the summer are huge benefits.