Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-19, 07:58 PM
Junior Varsity

wrestlingmom928 is on a distinguished road
OAC Freshman States

Thoughts? Anyone attending this event?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 08:40 PM
All District

grappledude is on a distinguished road
Cash grab!!!
Old 03-14-19, 06:07 AM
Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
It’s extra mat time but yes it is going to cost a bunch of money if you go two and out
Old 03-14-19, 07:54 AM
Junior Varsity

$30 for a bracket of 10-20 kids with some district and state qualifiers in it is a good price in my opinion.

Old 03-14-19, 07:54 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArlie8 View Post
Itís extra mat time but yes it is going to cost a bunch of money if you go two and out

Yep 2 and out will suck

Old 03-14-19, 08:34 AM
Junior Varsity

Barrell roll is on a distinguished road
Freshmen States? Wasn't that last weekend? Got to love OAC money grubbers feeding off of the participation trophy crowd.
Old 03-14-19, 08:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrell roll View Post
Freshmen States? Wasn't that last weekend? Got to love OAC money grubbers feeding off of the participation trophy crowd.
No No No It's all about getting mat time
Old 03-14-19, 09:01 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappledude View Post
No No No It's all about getting mat time

I would like to know where people go for mat time who think Oac is money hungry.

Old 03-14-19, 10:17 AM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingmom928 View Post
I would like to know where people go for mat time who think Oac is money hungry.

They wrestle freestyle and greco or whatever other folkstyle tournaments are available to them.

The freshman state tournament was last weekend in Columbus, Ohio. It's this neat thing that they have freshman wrestle against sophomores, juniors, and seniors too. I heard it's got great competition.
Old 03-14-19, 10:19 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
How many states are involved?
Old 03-14-19, 10:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
How many states are involved?
50 plus the annexations
Old 03-14-19, 10:35 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
50 plus the annexations

Where exactly in Ohio was this

Old 03-14-19, 11:16 AM
All District

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They wrestle freestyle and greco or whatever other folkstyle tournaments are available to them.

The freshman state tournament was last weekend in Columbus, Ohio. It's this neat thing that they have freshman wrestle against sophomores, juniors, and seniors too. I heard it's got great competition.
I don't get this attitude. My son does all of the stuff that you've listed. He doesn't do all of the open folkstyle tournaments, but much of the folkstyle stuff is $30-$40. I really don't see the difference with this. I think people are well aware of the difference in this tournament vs the OHSAA HS state tournament. If he were a freshman, he'd probably like to go to it since it is probably going to be decent competition.

Now, I am interested in what other states are going to be at this.
Old 03-14-19, 12:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGTJ View Post
I don't get this attitude. My son does all of the stuff that you've listed. He doesn't do all of the open folkstyle tournaments, but much of the folkstyle stuff is $30-$40. I really don't see the difference with this. I think people are well aware of the difference in this tournament vs the OHSAA HS state tournament. If he were a freshman, he'd probably like to go to it since it is probably going to be decent competition.

Now, I am interested in what other states are going to be at this.
zero other states
Old 03-14-19, 07:02 PM
Freshman

Matstain is on a distinguished road
Some people are just crazy. I would bet that most calling this a cash grab are the dads who held their kids back ... ya... i said it! those that are saying it’s silly to go to this tournament are also likely the dads that had 15 YO sons win at JH OAC as 7th graders. What most aren’t thinking is that there were plenty of Freshman competing in OHSAA state tournament last weekend... many winning a title. A lot of those teams are deep in certain weight classes and could have had the “b” wrestler qualify as well. Why not let “real” Freshman compete? Couple of those kids from last weekend were nearing 20 all would get eaten alive in college by true freshman (yep i said the younger college kid would beat the 20 YO HS kid that won state) Except of course Shumate... a true 15 YO freshman, great kid and tremendous champion.... hats off to his dad... done the right way! Would love to see someone challenge that one ... my money is on Mr Shumate.

I would say all in OAC does it way better than OHSAA. Money well spent. Fun weekend planned. Would love to see more involvement from OAC with HS tournaments down the road!
Old 03-14-19, 07:38 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly! OAC should be ashamed of themselves for offering an opportunity for kids to wrestle, and not to mention, charging people for it??!! It's a moral outrage!!
Old 03-14-19, 08:00 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Barrel Roll.... what place did you take at OHSAA wrasslin tournament back in the day?
Old 03-14-19, 08:35 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matstain View Post
Some people are just crazy. I would bet that most calling this a cash grab are the dads who held their kids back ... ya... i said it! those that are saying itís silly to go to this tournament are also likely the dads that had 15 YO sons win at JH OAC as 7th graders. What most arenít thinking is that there were plenty of Freshman competing in OHSAA state tournament last weekend... many winning a title. A lot of those teams are deep in certain weight classes and could have had the ďbĒ wrestler qualify as well. Why not let ďrealĒ Freshman compete? Couple of those kids from last weekend were nearing 20 all would get eaten alive in college by true freshman (yep i said the younger college kid would beat the 20 YO HS kid that won state) Except of course Shumate... a true 15 YO freshman, great kid and tremendous champion.... hats off to his dad... done the right way! Would love to see someone challenge that one ... my money is on Mr Shumate.

I would say all in OAC does it way better than OHSAA. Money well spent. Fun weekend planned. Would love to see more involvement from OAC with HS tournaments down the road!
Well said. I hope your kid wins that trophy.
Old 03-14-19, 09:54 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Exactly! OAC should be ashamed of themselves for offering an opportunity for kids to wrestle, and not to mention, charging people for it??!! It's a moral outrage!!
Agreed and no one has to go.

Do we need an OAC Freshman state? No idea? BUT...it's an opportunity for kids to wrestle different kids. Not every freshman wrestler is a "hammer." Some are just getting started, some simply just aren't good enough for OHSAA state. Who does it hurt?

I've criticized the OAC since their inception for one thing or another but can anyone tell me what the JH kids (and GS kids for that matter) did before OAC and OURWAY started their 'state series?'
Old 03-14-19, 10:54 PM
Freshman

Quote:

....Donít forget the opportunity to wrestle 20 year olds... :�� thatís always fun.
Old 03-14-19, 11:34 PM
Freshman

Ryans1906 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by grappledude View Post
Well said. I hope your kid wins that trophy.
Congratulations to Seth Shumate for winning a State Title as a Freshman at a heavier weigh class which is unprecedented but letís stay truthful. Seth competed at OAC States as an 8th grader in 2017, placing 5th in the 146lb weight class won by Padraic Gallagher. By my calculations he should be in the 10th grade in 2019. At the end of the day you have to beat whoever is in front of you and that is not an easy task. Seth Shumate deserves all the kudos in the world for his accomplishments.

1st Padraic Gallagher-8 TWFOC
2nd Justin MayesJr-8 RMWC
3rd David FrederickJr.-8 CJED
4th Andrew Donahue-8 MIR
5th Seth Shumate-8 SWAT
6th Brenden Severs-7 BLWC
7th Jayden Jackson-8 LWWC
8th Caylan Hinton-8 ELD
Old 03-15-19, 03:02 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans1906 View Post
Congratulations to Seth Shumate for winning a State Title as a Freshman at a heavier weigh class which is unprecedented but letís stay truthful. Seth competed at OAC States as an 8th grader in 2017, placing 5th in the 146lb weight class won by Padraic Gallagher. By my calculations he should be in the 10th grade in 2019. At the end of the day you have to beat whoever is in front of you and that is not an easy task. Seth Shumate deserves all the kudos in the world for his accomplishments.

4th Andrew Donahue-8 MIR
5th Seth Shumate-8 SWAT
8th Caylan Hinton-8 ELD
I believe Seth May have been held back. So what, but if you go look up his freestyle age group for this up coming season he will be a 2nd year cadet not a 1st year or 2nd year junior like most of the other hold backs. So looks like he may have started school young and decided for whatever reasons he needs to be with kids his age. Ok Seth maybe held back but he is still going to be 2nd year cadet in Fargo this summer.
Old 03-15-19, 05:49 AM
All District

td2fall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some people are just crazy. I would bet that most calling this a cash grab are the dads who held their kids back ... ya... i said it! those that are saying itís silly to go to this tournament are also likely the dads that had 15 YO sons win at JH OAC as 7th graders. What most arenít thinking is that there were plenty of Freshman competing in OHSAA state tournament last weekend... many winning a title. A lot of those teams are deep in certain weight classes and could have had the ďbĒ wrestler qualify as well. Why not let ďrealĒ Freshman compete? Couple of those kids from last weekend were nearing 20 all would get eaten alive in college by true freshman (yep i said the younger college kid would beat the 20 YO HS kid that won state) Except of course Shumate... a true 15 YO freshman, great kid and tremendous champion.... hats off to his dad... done the right way! Would love to see someone challenge that one ... my money is on Mr Shumate.

what is your definition of many...3 or less?
Old 03-15-19, 09:20 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
....Donít forget the opportunity to wrestle 20 year olds... :�� thatís always fun.
No see theres this neat thing in Freestyle and Greco that puts kids in divisions by their age/dob. Cadet and Junior. So no... freshman wouldn't be wrestling 20 year olds.
Old 03-15-19, 01:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Gobucks17 is on a distinguished road
Iím hoping to post this and make it out alive.. but if you have a child who is above 160lbs and is 14 turning 15 as a freshman why would you not at least consider a hold back for the sake of physical development? If youíre not a Seth shumate type dude youíre putting yourself at an incredible disadvantage.
Old 03-15-19, 03:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucks17 View Post
Iím hoping to post this and make it out alive.. but if you have a child who is above 160lbs and is 14 turning 15 as a freshman why would you not at least consider a hold back for the sake of physical development? If youíre not a Seth shumate type dude youíre putting yourself at an incredible disadvantage.
Beautifully written.
Old 03-15-19, 06:25 PM
All Region

wlpdrpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucks17 View Post
As an example, Alex Coleman, is a 16yo Junior. When he was in 8th grade he was a 13yo 170lb but academically he would have been bored senseless if he had been held back. He wrestled varsity 220lb as a Freshmen at 14yo and was a district alternate, HWT as a Sophomore at 15yo and a state alternate but as a second year Cadet he was a Fargo champ.

His older brother was held back (not for athletics) because he was struggling academically and it made very little difference in how he performed athletically.

Hold backs are a reality and I am sure some parents may do it for athletics but I would venture to guess that it happens much more often for academics or social development.
Old 03-15-19, 06:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
Hold backs are a reality and I am sure some parents may do it for athletics but I would venture to guess that it happens much more often for academics or social development.
+1.
It's no ones business. The reason doesn't even matter. Appreciate the honest response.
Old 03-15-19, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

severs0801 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans1906 View Post

4th Andrew Donahue-8 MIR
5th Seth Shumate-8 SWAT
8th Caylan Hinton-8 ELD

Need to find something better to do with your time. Seth was the youngest kid in that bracket. I'd bet one of the younger freshman wrestling at state.
Old 03-15-19, 10:03 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
I believe Seth May have been held back. So what, but if you go look up his freestyle age group for this up coming season he will be a 2nd year cadet not a 1st year or 2nd year junior like most of the other hold backs. So looks like he may have started school young and decided for whatever reasons he needs to be with kids his age. Ok Seth maybe held back but he is still going to be 2nd year cadet in Fargo this summer.
Those ďnormalĒ age for a freshman would be a first year Cadet. No freshmen would be a second year junior unless they didnít plan on wrestling all 4 years of HS (would be too old).