Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 10:20 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
1.UCLA beating Dayton in 1967

2. UCLA domination in the 60's and 70's

3. DePaul losing at Dayton to St. Joe (PA) in 1981

4. Seeing David Robinson (Navy) play at Dayton

5. Watching undefeated Indiana in 1976

6. Miami, (OH) beating Marquette in 1978

7. Magic vs. Bird in 1979

8. Was at the Regional Finals in 1979 Indiana State vs. Arkansas

9. Was at Hoosier Dome in 1993 Saw Indiana beat Wright State by over 40 pts.
10. Indiana/Kentucky brawl in 1975

11. Was at the Superdome in 1982 when North Carolina beat Georgetown.

12. Going to the First Four this year. Wednesday March 20
Old 03-14-19, 10:35 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Heading to Hartford this year to enjoy the games. Been to Buffalo and Pittsburgh several times. Columbus, Dayton and Detroit. Always a good time. Really fun when you are at a venue and don't have a dog in the fight. Just good to see the fanbases interact or hang out and talk basketball over a beverage or five.
Old 03-14-19, 10:40 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
The first one that I really remember is Marquette and Al McGuire winning the 1977 national title. The one I really followed was IU in '81 with Issiah Thomas and of course the 87 title. Steve Alford grew up in the area so it was easy to follow his career.

Going back to the original post about NC State. I have a different viewpoint on NC State. It's awful about Jim Valvano and getting cancer, obviously his legacy is tied more to the speech on the ESPY's and battling cancer, which was awful.
But Valvano was slippery and crooked as a head basketball coach. This of course was back in the wild wild west days of college sports where there was little monitoring of illegal recruiting and payments to players. I remember reading a book titled Personal Fouls, by Peter Golenback, where many allegations of players getting help to pass drug test, players knowingly playing high, payments to recruits and other dirty things going on. Valvano was forced to resign due to all the stuff flying around, but much of it has been swept under the rug.
Old 03-14-19, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
The first one that I really remember is Marquette and Al McGuire winning the 1977 national title. The one I really followed was IU in '81 with Issiah Thomas and of course the 87 title. Steve Alford grew up in the area so it was easy to follow his career.

Going back to the original post about NC State. I have a different viewpoint on NC State. It's awful about Jim Valvano and getting cancer, obviously his legacy is tied more to the speech on the ESPY's and battling cancer, which was awful.
But Valvano was slippery and crooked as a head basketball coach. This of course was back in the wild wild west days of college sports where there was little monitoring of illegal recruiting and payments to players. I remember reading a book titled Personal Fouls, by Peter Golenback, where many allegations of players getting help to pass drug test, players knowingly playing high, payments to recruits and other dirty things going on. Valvano was forced to resign due to all the stuff flying around, but much of it has been swept under the rug.
True, but his persona was so positive and outgoing and the ESPYs is what we remember.

ANyone look at this interview about he was gave his first pregame speech as a coach?

HILARIOUS!

The Green Bay Packers!
Old 03-14-19, 12:23 PM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
If you watch the 30 For 30 about that NC State team, they talk about the violations that ended his career. And the lead NCAA investigator actually mentioned that Valvano basically got screwed over, and that he wasn't really responsible for the infractions, but he took the fall.
Old 03-14-19, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJect View Post
Heading to Hartford this year to enjoy the games. Been to Buffalo and Pittsburgh several times. Columbus, Dayton and Detroit. Always a good time. Really fun when you are at a venue and don't have a dog in the fight. Just good to see the fanbases interact or hang out and talk basketball over a beverage or five.
Hit Bobby V's (Bobby Valentine) restaurant up by Bradley International. Cool sports bar with decent food. There's also some kind of off-track betting setup there as well.
Old 03-14-19, 02:24 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
If you watch the 30 For 30 about that NC State team, they talk about the violations that ended his career. And the lead NCAA investigator actually mentioned that Valvano basically got screwed over, and that he wasn't really responsible for the infractions, but he took the fall.
Umm....not so sure about that. I'd say it was about 50 / 50 on those who supported him and those who didn't.
He certainly took alot of chances on kids who were not college students. Heard stories of Chris Washburn, who could not read or write, and played high during games.
Not sure how you get screwed over on that. He may have taken the fall, but he was certainly at least partially responsible. It's the same thing we always here about these big time college coaches, no one take the responsibility for the program, yet these guy are egomaniacs who control every aspect of the team, but they "new nothing" of payments to players or kids getting in trouble? Seriously??
Old 03-14-19, 02:37 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
He certainly took alot of chances on kids who were not college students. Heard stories of Chris Washburn, who could not read or write, and played high during games.
And yet you'd rather the Chris Washburn's of the world go to college, where they do not belong, than straight to the NBA. Hypocrite.
Old 03-14-19, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

College hoops coaches, and players, are a cross section of the population so yeah, there will be bad involved.

Went ahead about bought some tickets to the second session at Nationwide Arena in the first round before they announce whom is playing and prices skyrocket.

Who knows, maybe we will see an epic upset.
Old 03-14-19, 03:37 PM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Indiana '76. Undefeated. Beat Michigan in an All Big 10 final. All American Kent Benson diving on the floor for loose balls like he was a walk-on. And stuck in my mind was Bobby Knight's plaid sports coat.
Old 03-14-19, 04:02 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Bill Walton 21 of 22 against Memphis State, 1973 finals. The one miss he rebounded and put in.

We had the TV on at work.

Last edited by chs1971; 03-14-19 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 05:41 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
1.UCLA beating Dayton in 1967

2. UCLA domination in the 60's and 70's

3. DePaul losing at Dayton to St. Joe (PA) in 1981

4. Seeing David Robinson (Navy) play at Dayton

5. Watching undefeated Indiana in 1976

6. Miami, (OH) beating Marquette in 1978

7. Magic vs. Bird in 1979

8. Was at the Regional Finals in 1979 Indiana State vs. Arkansas

9. Was at Hoosier Dome in 1993 Saw Indiana beat Wright State by over 40 pts.
10. Indiana/Kentucky brawl in 1975

11. Was at the Superdome in 1982 when North Carolina beat Georgetown.

12. Going to the First Four this year. Wednesday March 20
I was a Junior at Miami when the Redskins beat Marquette in the opening round 1978. Marquette's coach Hank Raymonds moaned before the game, "It's a travesty the top two teams in the country, Marquette and Kentucky, have to meet in the second round". Oops, be careful. Marquette had to beat Miami first. Miami had a solid team with Archie Aldridge and Randy Ayers and stunned Marquette in OT. Oxford partied all night and makeshift signs read, "It's a travesty Miami and Kentucky have to meet in the second round."

I attended the second round games at the UD Arena. Kentucky blasted Miami and Michigan State blasted Western Kentucky. Michigan State had a Freshman guard named Magic Johnson, but Kentucky beat them in the third round and won it all that year.
Old 03-15-19, 08:25 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
When did ESPN have the early round stuff?

For as long as I can recall, it has been CBS.

We always thought we had it good where I grew up because we could get Ft Wayne, Lima AND Dayton channels by turning the rotor on the antennae so we could get some extra games and loved it when CBS would do those live look ins!
From 1980-1990, ESPN did the early rounds of the tournament (until CBS bought the rights for ALL tournament games).
ESPN's coverage was tremendous, especially their innovation of their "whip around" concept to do live looks at the other games -- especially when a game was close and near the conclusion (possibility of a buzzer beater live).
Old 03-15-19, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
From 1980-1990, ESPN did the early rounds of the tournament (until CBS bought the rights for ALL tournament games).
ESPN's coverage was tremendous, especially their innovation of their "whip around" concept to do live looks at the other games -- especially when a game was close and near the conclusion (possibility of a buzzer beater live).
I did not know that. I never had cable/satellite until the mid 90s so all my viewing was always on CBS growing up.

(insert the 'the more you know' jingle from NBC here)
Old 03-15-19, 09:01 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
I remember my first NCAA moment like it was yesterday. Problem is, I don't remember yesterday very well anymore.

My favorite game I a can recall early on was UD vs Oklahoma in a Chapman vs Tisdale matchup.

This game became much more intriguing to me many years later (2010 ish) when I was able to be an assistant coach with one of the key players of that game. He shared with me the teams emotions leading up to the game, the manner in which Donnoher addressed practice and game prep that week, and the mental discipline required to not read or listen to all the doubters when you have such a huge hill to climb.

Not sure if it was that game against Dayton, but I remember Tisdale taking a jump shot from about 8 feet out that had a clear downward trajectory the entire path of the shot. That really impressed my young mind.
Old 03-15-19, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I remember my first NCAA moment like it was yesterday. Problem is, I don't remember yesterday very well anymore.

My favorite game I a can recall early on was UD vs Oklahoma in a Chapman vs Tisdale matchup.

This game became much more intriguing to me many years later (2010 ish) when I was able to be an assistant coach with one of the key players of that game. He shared with me the teams emotions leading up to the game, the manner in which Donnoher addressed practice and game prep that week, and the mental discipline required to not read or listen to all the doubters when you have such a huge hill to climb.

Not sure if it was that game against Dayton, but I remember Tisdale taking a jump shot from about 8 feet out that had a clear downward trajectory the entire path of the shot. That really impressed my young mind.
Good ole Roosevelt Chapman! We used to go to the Merrill Lynch Classic at UD arena and/or some little 4 team set when we were kids and recall watching him.
Old 03-15-19, 01:57 PM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
1974. In an earlier round, Dayton happened to be matched up with UCLA again. UD kept the game close....then a knock on my front door. (I was a senior in hs...) It was my girlfriend and she wanted me to go for a walk with her so we could talk. I'm thinking the whole time-this must be a test....lolo...well that is what I remember, but we ended up breaking up a couple months later....and UD lost the game.
Old 03-15-19, 04:15 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Roosevelt Chapman made a confident (cocky?) comment before that game, "We'll see who's the real All-American." Tisdale was nearly unstoppable and scored something like 36 points, but Chapman was equally unstoppable and unloaded 41 points as UD upset the Sooners. UD had a nice tournament run that year, beating LSU, Oklahoma and Washington before falling to Georgetown and Patrick Ewing.

Chapman never made it in the NBA. In college he was a force under the basket, but not much demand for a 6'4" (or 6'3") Power Forward in the NBA. Plus, rumors of lots of partying and a nonchalant attitude during tryouts.
Old 03-15-19, 08:43 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

LOL

The first game that sticks out in my mind is the '85 Villanova-Georgetown game. The Cats played the most disciplined, nearly-flawless game I can remember. 22/28 field goals. Are you kidding me?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...eorgetown.html
Old 03-18-19, 08:28 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post
1974. In an earlier round, Dayton happened to be matched up with UCLA again. UD kept the game close....then a knock on my front door. (I was a senior in hs...) It was my girlfriend and she wanted me to go for a walk with her so we could talk. I'm thinking the whole time-this must be a test....lolo...well that is what I remember, but we ended up breaking up a couple months later....and UD lost the game.
Wait a sec - so you went for the walk, and it was all for naught two months later? Or you did NOT go for the walk, and failed the test?

That's what I call a memorable memory.
Old 03-18-19, 10:06 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
A couple games stick out for me. The NC State-Houston game showed how a coach can blow a game. Lewis reeled back on his Phi Slamma Jamma team and that let NC State get into that game. Lewis was worried his young men would get tired. BS he blew it. With the adrenaline and what they had going for them they should have kept the peddle to the meddle and run up the score on NC State. Instead Lewis's decision took them out of rythm and NC State was just good enough to take advantage of the poor coaching decision.

Another big memory was NC - Georgetown in the Superdome. That NC team had Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins. They were unstoppable but another coaching snafu almost cost them the title. Dean Smith was notorious for playing stall ball when he got a lead. Well it almost cost him in this game because it allowed Georgetown to get back in the game. I was at this game in the nose bleed section of the Surperdome but they had the big screen TV so you really didn't miss anything. It was cool the seats I had were at one end of the court and Jordan had back to back break away jams at our end of the court. It looked like he was going to jump right through the backboard. NC won that game at the end on an errant throw by one of Georgetown's guards. If he hadn't thrown it away Georgetown would have had a chance to win it with a last second shot.

Best game I ever remember seeing was the semi final game between Phi Slamma Jamma and Louisville. That game was crazy above the rim game by both teams. Unbelievably entertaining game.
Old 03-18-19, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Wait a sec - so you went for the walk, and it was all for naught two months later? Or you did NOT go for the walk, and failed the test?

That's what I call a memorable memory.
Some years later, he had tickets to the World Series, but stayed at a bar to talk to a girl and missed Pudge Fisk's home run.
Old 03-18-19, 10:27 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Old 03-18-19, 10:31 AM
All American

Old 03-18-19, 05:30 PM
All American

Old 03-18-19, 05:41 PM
All American

Remember John Morton (Seton Hall) had a monster game (35 pts.) against Michigan and Glen Rice in '89. Seton lost to Mich. by one point in OT, 79-80, on a phantom foul. Morton was hot throughout the tournament, was drafted by the Cavs in the 1st round (the last player before Lebron to wear #23), and was never any good after that, lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: