Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-19, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
1st March Madness Memories...

Watching the NC State finals vs Phi Slamma Jamma last night brought back memories.
(Also, look up Jimmy V's video about his first pre game speech as a coach).

What year/matchup is your earliest memory of March Madness?

MINE:
1983 NC State vs Houston. 9 years old. First recollection and I can remember rocking a phi slamma jamma shirt, ha!

I would have to say my first year I vividly remember was in 1987 with IU's run to the title. I still have all the tourney games, and Bobby Knight show in between, of the run of which I keep telling myself I will burn over to a DVD at some point.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I watched some March madness in the '70s but outside of Bill Walton dominating it was not very memorable. The 1st huge March Madness memory though is the '79 Michigan State vs Indiana State final, one of the most important games in the history of basketball and ushered in the era of Bird and Magic.
Old 03-12-19, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Watching the NC State finals vs Phi Slamma Jamma last night brought back memories.
(Also, look up Jimmy V's video about his first pre game speech as a coach).

What year/matchup is your earliest memory of March Madness?

MINE:
1983 NC State vs Houston. 9 years old. First recollection and I can remember rocking a phi slamma jamma shirt, ha!

I would have to say my first year I vividly remember was in 1987 with IU's run to the title. I still have all the tourney games, and Bobby Knight show in between, of the run of which I keep telling myself I will burn over to a DVD at some point.

What say you?
I have a funny story on that game. We had a March Madness game at the Frat House, back before computers it was easier to put in $5 and you pulled a team from the hat winner take all. One of the most popular guys in the house ended up with Houston and a knucklehead had NC State. Before the title game knucklehead approaches cool guy and offers a deal in that they split the pot regardless of outcome, he gets 1/3 of the pot and cool guy gets balance. Cool guy turns him down cold and the rest is history.
Old 03-12-19, 03:38 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Even though I hate Michigan, watching the fab 5 in the early 90's is a memory of mine that I look back on.
Old 03-12-19, 06:11 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
My first would be the Alcindor years but the reason more likely because Toledo had a 7 ft center. I would lay on the living room floor listening to their games on radio and tv and I was fascinated someone that tall. Toledo made the tournament. Dayton did and was runner-up. Clear to me this is the first because I have no recollection of the previous year, Texas Western which of course was a huge story.
Old 03-12-19, 06:11 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I became hooked on March Madness when I was nine and Don Donoher's Dayton Flyers lost to John Wooden's UCLA Bruins (Lew Alcindor and gang) in the 1967 NCAA championship game.

My dad was a UD grad and my entire family gathered around the ole' Zenith TV and watched as UD advanced round-by-round, nail biter-by-nail biter. The Flyers beat Western Kentucky (my parents attended this opening game in Lexington), then Tennessee, then Virginia Tech and finally North Carolina in the semi's. UD's Don May put on a show against highly favored North Carolina, making thirteen straight baskets before finally missing.

UCLA was a totally different animal and the Flyers lost 79-64 in the final and it could have been much worse. Wooden was a class act and didn't run up the score.

After I was done crying from UD's loss, I asked my dad, "Why didn't we full court press UCLA, just like UCLA pressed us?" He said, "UCLA would have loved it if we did."

Last edited by BlackHawk; 03-12-19 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-19, 06:13 PM
All World

eastisbest: you beat my by seconds on the 1967 UCLA-Dayton year!
Old 03-12-19, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
When Xavier made a final four
Old 03-12-19, 08:17 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
March 17, 1974 - the Sunday after David Thompson got knocked out trying to block a Pittsburgh shot by leaping over a player. One of the older men at church was talking about it after the service.

I was in 10th grade, never paid attention to the tournament - never. That's the first time I remember being aware of it, and even then it wasn't until 1982 that I started to halfway follow it in Sports Illustrated.
Old 03-13-19, 06:28 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Watching Cincy lose to Iowa State in 97.
Old 03-13-19, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Georgetown north carolina first thing i really remember

more vividly probably a year or two later watching a bunch of it on ESPN when they had all the early round stuff
Old 03-13-19, 07:49 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
The Cincy/OSU matchups late fifties early sixties while in grade school.
Old 03-13-19, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Georgetown north carolina first thing i really remember

more vividly probably a year or two later watching a bunch of it on ESPN when they had all the early round stuff
When did ESPN have the early round stuff?

For as long as I can recall, it has been CBS.

We always thought we had it good where I grew up because we could get Ft Wayne, Lima AND Dayton channels by turning the rotor on the antennae so we could get some extra games and loved it when CBS would do those live look ins!
Old 03-13-19, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
1st tourney I remember watching was ‘89. I was 8. I liked Kenny Battle and that Illinois Final 4 team, Laettner was a freshman at Duke, Seton Hall’s coach rocked the Nike sweater vest nearly a decade before becoming famous for being choked by Latrell Sprewell, and Michigan won it all with an interim HC. My grandpa taped the championship game for me.
Old 03-13-19, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
1st tourney I remember watching was Ď89. I was 8. I liked Kenny Battle and that Illinois Final 4 team, Laettner was a freshman at Duke, Seton Hallís coach rocked the Nike sweater vest nearly a decade before becoming famous for being choked by Latrell Sprewell, and Michigan won it all with an interim HC. My grandpa taped the championship game for me.
Remember that Michigan run.
Didn't they coach that season, Freider (sp) accept a job a another school but wanted to finish the season but Michigan told him to GTFO and elevated Fisher who led them to the title?

That next year was that amazing gams Vs Loyola Marymount where LM scored nearly 150 and Michigan had well over 100 as wel in the loss.

Wish some teams still played wild and free.
Old 03-13-19, 09:15 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I watched some March madness in the '70s but outside of Bill Walton dominating it was not very memorable. The 1st huge March Madness memory though is the '79 Michigan State vs Indiana State final, one of the most important games in the history of basketball and ushered in the era of Bird and Magic.
Same here. I remember laying in front of the TV at my grand parents house just in awe rooting for Magic and my grandpa was rooting for Larry.

The good ole days
Old 03-13-19, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Remember that Michigan run.
Didn't they coach that season, Freider (sp) accept a job a another school but wanted to finish the season but Michigan told him to GTFO and elevated Fisher who led them to the title?

That next year was that amazing gams Vs Loyola Marymount where LM scored nearly 150 and Michigan had well over 100 as wel in the loss.

Wish some teams still played wild and free.
I was too late to the party to know the circumstances of Bill Frieder's departure from Michigan, so I had to look it up, and you're right:

Frieder announced he was taking the Arizona St. job after the tournament. Bo Schembechler was AD and told him, "you will leave now," and named Steve Fisher interim HC. Fisher won the title and was named the HC. Frieder went to ASU and quit in '97 after a point shaving scandal was uncovered pertaining to the '94 season.

Incidentally, Illinois beat Michigan in both regular season meetings but lost the Final 4 contest, in lock step with the adage that "it's hard to beat the same opponent 3 times in a season."

My uncle kept telling me LMU was a fun team to watch. He wasn't lying. I remember watching LMU blow Michigan out in that game before ultimately getting blown out themselves by UNLV. A rather young Ohio St. team made a decent showing against UNLV in the 2nd round of that '90 tournament.
Old 03-13-19, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Funniest memory comes from the classic Duke-Kentucky East Regional final in '92. When Laettner hit the winning shot, even my mom cursed which is a rarity.
Old 03-13-19, 10:44 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
NC State game for sure. Also, was a big Georgetown (Ewing) fan when I was younger. Loved watching them play during the Hoya Paranoia days.
Old 03-13-19, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I was too late to the party to know the circumstances of Bill Frieder's departure from Michigan, so I had to look it up, and you're right:

Frieder announced he was taking the Arizona St. job after the tournament. Bo Schembechler was AD and told him, "you will leave now," and named Steve Fisher interim HC. Fisher won the title and was named the HC. Frieder went to ASU and quit in '97 after a point shaving scandal was uncovered pertaining to the '94 season.

Incidentally, Illinois beat Michigan in both regular season meetings but lost the Final 4 contest, in lock step with the adage that "it's hard to beat the same opponent 3 times in a season."

My uncle kept telling me LMU was a fun team to watch. He wasn't lying. I remember watching LMU blow Michigan out in that game before ultimately getting blown out themselves by UNLV. A rather young Ohio St. team made a decent showing against UNLV in the 2nd round of that '90 tournament.
LMU was an amazing team with 3 guys avg over 20. Hank Gathers died and Bo Kimble was amazing. From a special I saw, they were highly touted and transferred to LMU maybe, but I digress.

Good call about Georgetown whom said that. I had to look up the year to make sure because I remember being heartbroken as a kid when Gtown and Ewing went up against the Dayton flyers. That was in 84 as I wondered if that was before my 83 memory.
Old 03-13-19, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Dayton-UCLA 3OT game in '74. My old man about lost it when Donoher called time out just as Donald Smith made that jumper to put them up late in regulation. Mike Sylvester dropped 36 on the Bruins.
Old 03-13-19, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Donít know if itís my earliest memory but I remember the 1992 Final Four. Was late to a cousins wedding because of the Duke/Indiana game and then we were watching the UC/Michigan game during the reception on a portable tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-19, 01:19 PM
All World

reporter07
I remember hearing about the Duke/UNLV games in the early 90s, but I didn't care about anything other than the Reds (and to a much lesser extent, the Bengals) until UC's Herb Jones came to visit my school in 92. Then there was the run to the Final Four and I was hooked for a few years.
Old 03-13-19, 02:44 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
It isn't my earliest final 4 memory, but one that holds a lot of memories. 1985, Georgetown and Villanova. I was a newer Christians In Action employee in Berlin and three or four of us got together to watch the final. Because of the time difference it was very early in the morning. One guy couldn't make the get together, he was rather PW, so as luck would have it at 2AM I called him to ask if he had changed his clocks. That started a tradition that continued for over 30 years, spring forward or fall back. Where ever in the world the either of us was until he started to call me to make sure I hadn't forgotten. Now that we are both well into our late 70s, New Years comes at 10 o'clock now, we have let the calls quietly go by the wayside.
Old 03-13-19, 04:50 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Lots of great memories on here, including games that I remember vividly (both crying and cheering at the end).
However, my first was in 1960. I was 9. My mother made me take a nap if I was going to watch the game -- which of course I did. It was the Final 4 -- UC against California, the defending national champions.
Well, we had lost to them the year before, in the same round but, I figured, we had Oscar Robertson so what could possibly go wrong?
Well, California went wrong and, for the 2nd straight year, bounced us out in the national semifinals. Yes, I cried like a 9 year-old.
The only consolation was the fact that OSU beat them in the title game.

Long, long ago but I remember it vividly (along with the black and white TV, lol).

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 03-14-19 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 04:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontetheCarlo View Post
Dayton-UCLA 3OT game in '74. My old man about lost it when Donoher called time out just as Donald Smith made that jumper to put them up late in regulation. Mike Sylvester dropped 36 on the Bruins.
I remember that game well. A heartbreaker. Final score was 111-100 UCLA in triple OT. My dad was a big UD fan and flew to Arizona to watch the game in person. He sat a few rows behind UCLA's bench and could be seen on TV. Donoher still takes the blame for calling the time out and that loss.

Top-ranked North Carolina State (30-1) with David Thompson, 7'4" Tom Burleson and 5'6" Monte Towe won it all that year, beating #2 UCLA and Bill Walton in the semi's and Marquette in the finals.
Old 03-13-19, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
For whatever reason, the George Mason run in 2005 has always stuck with me
Old 03-13-19, 07:42 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Al McGuire with Butch Lee and Jerome Whitehead for Marquette in the mid-70's. Vague memories of David Thompson, Monty Towe and Dave Burleson leading NC State in 73-74.
Old 03-13-19, 08:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Don’t know if it’s my earliest memory but I remember the 1992 Final Four. Was late to a cousins wedding because of the Duke/Indiana game and then we were watching the UC/Michigan game during the reception on a portable tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the UC-Michigan was the early game that year. I was working a Boy Scout fundraiser that evening and missed the UC-Michigan game, I vividly remember watching the Duke-Indiana game after getting home from the fundraiser.
Old 03-13-19, 08:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
For whatever reason, the George Mason run in 2005 has always stuck with me
I remember it because Billy Packer kept pissing and moaning to the selection committee chairperson during the Selection Show how George Mason didn't deserve to make the tournament. Even funnier than that was the year before when Packer wouldn't stop complaining about St. Joseph's getting a #1 seed. St. Joseph's proceeded to put a beating on Packer's alma mater Wake Forest in the Sweet 16 that year. Packer was such a d-bag in his final years. He stayed in broadcasting at least 10 years too long.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: