Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-19, 02:29 PM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr23724 View Post
You can believe as you wish but I know both the Petrellas and the Norwoods and I can say without question that the Petrellas have coached Micah enough to know him well.

In fact, Paul Petrella came to my school as an assistant my senior year only and I can say without question he knew me as well in one year as other coaches did who coached me through my career. He is an outstanding coach and his son is as well. Did they make a decision that didn't turn out the best? Maybe, but they made that decision based on a season plus of coaching Micah, not a weekend sitting in the bleachers like you were doing. Will they dwell on that for the rest of their lives and wonder "what if"...maybe, but that is something they will deal with. They don't need your opinion.
Obviously you are fond of the Hartley coaches. Maybe they are great guys or maybe they are not. I don't know them and I will take your word that they are good people. What I do know is that they were Norwood's third choice on the list in 2018. You were portraying it as though Norwoods were so committed to Hartley, when in reality they change schools and clubs all the time. You may be right in that my opinion doesn't matter, but my opinion is that Hartley was pretty much the only option Norwood's had left in order to still be able to wrestle as State this year. It will be interesting to see if Norwood even finishes his junior and senior year at Hartley.
Old 03-13-19, 07:29 PM
Freshman

tripod20 is on a distinguished road
He could have stayed at La Salle. It is obvious you are not fond of Hartley.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-19, 09:59 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedthatkills View Post
Completely agree. The booing was disgusting and a sad statement about the individuals that chose to boo.

So booing a very poor call by a ref is disgusting.... I booed and I dare you to say that to my face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-19, 10:33 PM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Well that escalated quickly and predictedly.
Old 03-13-19, 10:55 PM
All Region

wlpdrpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan78 View Post
So booing a very poor call by a ref is disgusting.... I booed and I dare you to say that to my face

If the booing had occurred at the time of the bad call that is one thing. The timing of waiting for the conclusion of the match made the booing feel as though it was aimed at the wrestler, which made it very inappropriate.

The fact is that it was not a line violation but a touching the opponent violation and therefore definitely the correct call. Had it not influenced the outcome of the match there wouldn't be any debate nor booing. As such the booing was aimed at the result not the call and therefore inappropriate beyond unsportsmanlike.

I support everyone's right to boo a bad call but the booing in question was minutes after the suspect call and nobody should support booing an athlete that just won a state championship. It was terrible and speaks volumes of those who participated.

FYI - you would also be well advised not to "call out" someone on a forum as that also speaks volumes aside from the fact that you have no idea who you are calling out. For all you know he may be an OSU football alumni that is still in great shape.

But what do I know.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-19, 11:18 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Pure GARBAGE!
Old 03-14-19, 03:10 AM
All Region

blitz56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
If the booing had occurred at the time of the bad call that is one thing. The timing of waiting for the conclusion of the match made the booing feel as though it was aimed at the wrestler, which made it very inappropriate.

The fact is that it was not a line violation but a touching the opponent violation and therefore definitely the correct call. Had it not influenced the outcome of the match there wouldn't be any debate nor booing. As such the booing was aimed at the result not the call and therefore inappropriate beyond unsportsmanlike.

I support everyone's right to boo a bad call but the booing in question was minutes after the suspect call and nobody should support booing an athlete that just won a state championship. It was terrible and speaks volumes of those who participated.

FYI - you would also be well advised not to "call out" someone on a forum as that also speaks volumes aside from the fact that you have no idea who you are calling out. For all you know he may be an OSU football alumni that is still in great shape.

But what do I know.

Well said!!
Old 03-14-19, 04:54 AM
All Region

Here is my take on the situation that occurred - please note that I don't personally know either wrestler or their coaches but I was in the third row of bleacher seats dead center on mat 2 when it happened. Additionally, I have watched the whole match multiple times and used slow motion to review the call in question.

1st period of tie breaker: Martin scores a quick reversal.
2nd period of tie breaker: Norwood scores a reversal and 2 back. Action goes out of bounds with 6 seconds on the clock.

In this scenario what advice would you give to your wrestler in the 2-3 seconds that you can try to communicate to them? I personally would have given my wrestler the exact same advice that Norwood's coach provided. There are 6 seconds on the clock, which is long enough for Martin to score a reversal (watch the first period of tie breaker it took about 7 seconds). Go neutral and dance for 6 seconds without running backward (he had already been warned for stalling so he can't just run away).

Norwood's coach knew that Norwood had already been cautioned in the referee's position and had no reason to expect that he would grab Martin's headgear before the whistle blew.

Honestly, I think the excitement and enormity of the situation got to Norwood and he was so intent on face smacking to keep Martin at a distance he went straight to it without thinking or waiting for the ref.

Everyone wanted to blame the ref for making a bad call that ultimately cost Norwood the match. The reality is Norwood was given every opportunity to win and unfortunately he found a way to lose it when it was within his grasp. No coach has ever taught their wrestler to slap their opponents headgear before the referee starts the match - he came up with that one on his own. Even after making that enormous mistake he still had the opportunity to get an escape or reversal in UTB. He was able to do it in TB but couldn't find it in UTB.

The bottom line is that very often in high level matches it comes down to the person that makes the least number of mistakes rather than who is the best wrestler. I would agree that they are very evenly matched but on that given day Martin made less mistakes and neither of them were screwed over by the referee's calls - the referee's called a very neutral match from the beginning to the end.

Thus booing Martin's victory (or a call to which you disagreed) was not only uncalled for it was the antithesis of sportsmanship. Imagine if that were your son that had just won a state championship and the crowd erupted with booing - you would be horrified. I thought high school sports were supposed to create positive memories and lessons for our kids and all Martin will remember after a year of hard work and dedication to the sport is that he was booed for giving his best effort.

I can't imagine what parent or fan of wrestling could possibly see that as anything but a complete travesty of the values we are trying to impart.
Old 03-14-19, 05:14 AM
Varsity

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
I believe he only wrestled a partial season there in MS actually. He never attented school there until this past December and he wrestled half of a middle school season a couple years ago. Sorry but I definitely would not say this qualifies as knowing the kid well. If everything is so wonderful at Hartley, then why the pit stop in Cincinnati after exiting Lancaster?
So you're bitter at the Norwoods because they left which place? It shouldn't matter were he is or was! That's not was this post was about!
Old 03-14-19, 05:59 AM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
Here is my take on the situation that occurred - please note that I don't personally know either wrestler or their coaches but I was in the third row of bleacher seats dead center on mat 2 when it happened. Additionally, I have watched the whole match multiple times and used slow motion to review the call in question.

1st period of tie breaker: Martin scores a quick reversal.
2nd period of tie breaker: Norwood scores a reversal and 2 back. Action goes out of bounds with 6 seconds on the clock.

In this scenario what advice would you give to your wrestler in the 2-3 seconds that you can try to communicate to them? I personally would have given my wrestler the exact same advice that Norwood's coach provided. There are 6 seconds on the clock, which is long enough for Martin to score a reversal (watch the first period of tie breaker it took about 7 seconds). Go neutral and dance for 6 seconds without running backward (he had already been warned for stalling so he can't just run away).

Norwood's coach knew that Norwood had already been cautioned in the referee's position and had no reason to expect that he would grab Martin's headgear before the whistle blew.

Honestly, I think the excitement and enormity of the situation got to Norwood and he was so intent on face smacking to keep Martin at a distance he went straight to it without thinking or waiting for the ref.

Everyone wanted to blame the ref for making a bad call that ultimately cost Norwood the match. The reality is Norwood was given every opportunity to win and unfortunately he found a way to lose it when it was within his grasp. No coach has ever taught their wrestler to slap their opponents headgear before the referee starts the match - he came up with that one on his own. Even after making that enormous mistake he still had the opportunity to get an escape or reversal in UTB. He was able to do it in TB but couldn't find it in UTB.

The bottom line is that very often in high level matches it comes down to the person that makes the least number of mistakes rather than who is the best wrestler. I would agree that they are very evenly matched but on that given day Martin made less mistakes and neither of them were screwed over by the referee's calls - the referee's called a very neutral match from the beginning to the end.

Thus booing Martin's victory (or a call to which you disagreed) was not only uncalled for it was the antithesis of sportsmanship. Imagine if that were your son that had just won a state championship and the crowd erupted with booing - you would be horrified. I thought high school sports were supposed to create positive memories and lessons for our kids and all Martin will remember after a year of hard work and dedication to the sport is that he was booed for giving his best effort.

I can't imagine what parent or fan of wrestling could possibly see that as anything but a complete travesty of the values we are trying to impart.
Perfect. It really was sad.
Old 03-14-19, 11:36 AM
Freshman

spekwa is on a distinguished road
If were getting technical, Im not sure martins hand is in the correct position not to earn a caution on the restart at the end of the second :30. When you pause the video, it looks as though hes already on the inside of Norwoods elbow. Also seems like a pretty quick whistle from getting both wrestlers set, to the start of action.
Old 03-14-19, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There was limited booing immediately after the "bad call". However as soon as the kid won it was very loud. Significantly more so than during the "bad call". Thus it was a disgusting display that a bunch of adults booed a high school kid.

If you make it a double dog dare I will take you up on it. Then after you beat me up I can use your cage fighter shirt and bedazzled jeans to clean my self up.
Old 03-14-19, 03:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by spekwa View Post
If were getting technical, Im not sure martins hand is in the correct position not to earn a caution on the restart at the end of the second :30. When you pause the video, it looks as though hes already on the inside of Norwoods elbow. Also seems like a pretty quick whistle from getting both wrestlers set, to the start of action.
To my knowledge we were not getting technical. Rather, elucidating the facts surrounding two items: the caution which resulted in a point being awarded to Martin and the timing of booing.

The caution was thought by many to be a line violation (that Norwood didn't put his foot on the line) however it was actually a touching violation. I've never seen a touching violation not result in a caution.

The booing was said to relate to the "bad call" but the timing of the booing suggests that it related to the eventual result.

I believe if most of the people who booed actually knew it was a touching violation then they would not be upset by the call but I don't know if that would have changed their attitude about the outcome.

Old 03-14-19, 03:45 PM
Varsity

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There was limited booing immediately after the "bad call". However as soon as the kid won it was very loud. Significantly more so than during the "bad call". Thus it was a disgusting display that a bunch of adults booed a high school kid.

If you make it a double dog dare I will take you up on it. Then after you beat me up I can use your cage fighter shirt and bedazzled jeans to clean my self up.
BAM!!! mic drop!!!
Old 03-14-19, 04:35 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 03-14-19, 08:21 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Dang this should have been my response.