Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-19, 08:19 PM
All Region

blitz56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtime View Post
As usual when it's a close call, EDS, and GRAHAM will get the favorable call. Then when they dont get the call, watch them cry like babies
What call did they get that they shouldn't have??
Old 03-11-19, 10:33 PM
All District

Lysdexic04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Tripod optional is your friend there.

As far as the overall match, the wrestler who made the meaningful scoring attempts during regulation and sudden victory won the match.
Bucksman, this comes off as far too matter-of-fact. The fact of subjectivity is I believe we witnessed different matches.
Old 03-12-19, 12:36 AM
Junior Varsity

toughontop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysdexic04 View Post
Bucksman, this comes off as far too matter-of-fact. The fact of subjectivity is I believe we witnessed different matches.
I agree with Lysdexic04 when he says Buckman comes off too matter of fact, Martin is a great kid but he never finished his shots on Norwood. Norwood seemed to be comfortable (at times) when Martin was in on a shot.
I too saw video. Both appeared to be leaning forward before the official got to the line. If you watch the video Martin's head was more than half way to Norwood's line. That may have caused the reaction by Norwood. That's key, because they should have been separated, In wild matches not only are officials trained to get back to the center, they are also told if (both) wrestlers are leaning in to immediately create space by getting in between wrestlers to demonstrate the needed space. Not having the whistle in the mouth is another issue, not sure of why you would come to the action without the main tool.
It's too bad a match ended that way because they are both great competitors. I too look forward to future matches between the two sophmores. I did like how Norwood carried himself after the match.

Last edited by toughontop; 03-12-19 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:00 AM
All Region

I agree with Bucksman that Martin was the aggressor the entire match. Norwood scored when he had to but he was not the aggressor in the match
Old 03-12-19, 07:27 AM
All American

ProV1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz56 View Post
I agree with Bucksman that Martin was the aggressor the entire match. Norwood scored when he had to but he was not the aggressor in the match
Which is exactly why Norwood should have won. You win wrestling matches by scoring.
Old 03-12-19, 07:49 AM
All District

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
So where can the video be found?
Old 03-12-19, 07:51 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
IIRC Norwood actually took the first shot, and was in deep. Excellent defense prevented the score. But after that Norwood was defensive for sure.
Old 03-12-19, 08:14 AM
All District

Shalvey52_TNDO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr23724 View Post
So where can the video be found?
Old 03-12-19, 08:39 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalvey52_TNDO View Post
First time I've seen the video. Can't see Martin's foot. The referee 100% got the right call on the caution. Norwood shot the hand out before Martin started to creep. I would even say the creep is because of the hand. Tough break.
Old 03-12-19, 08:41 AM
All District

The real crime is the potentially dangerous call at 3:25. That was not a dangerous situation, the kids foot was on the mat and had a loose leg in that Norwood was working out. That would have been the escape point and that ref blew the whistle way too early.
Old 03-12-19, 09:13 AM
All Region

FunkRoll is on a distinguished road
Just like to comment on how well Norwood handled himself at the end of the match...if that was my kid I would be very proud. Good sportmanship right there!!!!!
Old 03-12-19, 09:17 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkRoll View Post
Just like to comment on how well Norwood handled himself at the end of the match...if that was my kid I would be very proud. Good sportmanship right there!!!!!
Agreed!
Old 03-12-19, 09:42 AM
All District

Knowing his Dad that doesn't surprise me. I've talked with Micah a few times and he always seemed like a good kid and was very respectful.
Old 03-12-19, 10:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Which is exactly why Norwood should have won. You win wrestling matches by scoring.
You are 100% correct. And the wrestler that scored the most points won. Lol
Old 03-12-19, 10:27 AM
All District

ncanitano is on a distinguished road
A lot of great points - including the potentially dangerous call that I also noticed. I cannot be too harsh on a ref though for protecting a kid if he thought he was in danger of injury. I actually thought it was a smart call to kick him there - I don't think there is any way he gets taken down in that 6 seconds. Now - an optional start might have been a better call, but there was a lot going into that decision - but the decision by anyone in that gym to Boo at the end of the match is awful to me. I have no dog in the fight and I stood up to clap. They both deserved a standing O - not a chance to take the booing in at the end of one heck of a battle.
Old 03-12-19, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncanitano View Post
A lot of great points - including the potentially dangerous call that I also noticed. I cannot be too harsh on a ref though for protecting a kid if he thought he was in danger of injury. I actually thought it was a smart call to kick him there - I don't think there is any way he gets taken down in that 6 seconds. Now - an optional start might have been a better call, but there was a lot going into that decision - but the decision by anyone in that gym to Boo at the end of the match is awful to me. I have no dog in the fight and I stood up to clap. They both deserved a standing O - not a chance to take the booing in at the end of one heck of a battle.
Completely agree. The booing was disgusting and a sad statement about the individuals that chose to boo.
Old 03-12-19, 04:32 PM
All American

Quote:
You are 100% correct. And the wrestler that scored the most points won. Lol
Wrestlers don’t score penalty points. Those points are given to them. My only point is that Norwood scored the most points from wrestling. I don’t care who thought who was more “active”.
Old 03-12-19, 05:12 PM
All Region

Martin scored more points, that's why he is a state champion.
Old 03-12-19, 05:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Martin scored more points, that's why he is a state champion.
There is no doubt he had more points. He just did not score them all himself. I don’t have a dog in the fight. It just seems clear that he won because of a poor coaching decision AND a subjective and questionable penalty point. The ref should have separated the kids at the restart. You could have just as easily cautioned the Graham kid for where he was lined up.
Old 03-12-19, 05:58 PM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wrestlers don’t score penalty points. Those points are given to them. My only point is that Norwood scored the most points from wrestling. I don’t care who thought who was more “active”.
“I don’t care who thought who was more “active”
Really? That’s a Reffs call no? Ever heard the saying “ Never leave it be decided by the reff”?
I don’t have a horse in the race.
Old 03-12-19, 06:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
“I don’t care who thought who was more “active”
Really? That’s a Reffs call no? Ever heard the saying “ Never leave it be decided by the reff”?
I don’t have a horse in the race.
I think the point is being missed. The post was in response to Bucksman who seems to infer that the Graham kid deserved to win because he was more active. It does not matter who was more active. If Norwood’s activity was that deficient, he would have been penalized for stalling. We all know that in a sport that awards and deducts points based on subjective officiating decisions, you are going to see some crazy results. This one falls into that category.
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
The real crime is the potentially dangerous call at 3:25. That was not a dangerous situation, the kids foot was on the mat and had a loose leg in that Norwood was working out. That would have been the escape point and that ref blew the whistle way too early.
I agree. Whistle was way to soon.
Old 03-13-19, 07:15 AM
Freshman

legman1 is on a distinguished road
For anyone blaming the coaches, you are dead wrong. The Hartley coaches are well respected in central Ohio with 40 years of experience in coaching. They know their kid better than anyone. Obviously with having two cautions the coaches felt strongly another caution would happen and then an escape would tie the score. Looking back if a decision you make doesn’t work out, you will always second guess yourself, but the coaches always make the best decision for their wrestler at that time.
Old 03-13-19, 07:36 AM
All District

Smoke Screen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by legman1 View Post
They know their kid better than anyone.
You realize that this was Norwood's second school of the wrestling season, right? Sorry, but it's ridiculous to say that they "know this kid so well. I believe he attended 3 separate high schools during 2018.
Old 03-13-19, 07:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by legman1 View Post
For anyone blaming the coaches, you are dead wrong. The Hartley coaches are well respected in central Ohio with 40 years of experience in coaching. They know their kid better than anyone. Obviously with having two cautions the coaches felt strongly another caution would happen and then an escape would tie the score. Looking back if a decision you make doesn’t work out, you will always second guess yourself, but the coaches always make the best decision for their wrestler at that time.
I think what you meant to say is that coaches TRY to make the best decision for their wrestler. Saying that coaches always make the best decisions is ludicrous. Coaches, like everybody else, make bad decisions all the time.
Old 03-13-19, 09:50 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
You realize that this was Norwood's second school of the wrestling season, right? Sorry, but it's ridiculous to say that they "know this kid so well. I believe he attended 3 separate high schools during 2018.
Micah wrestled for Hartley's MS club. They know him well. He wrestled 1 year at Lancaster and this year back at Hartley.
Old 03-13-19, 10:48 AM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
watched it again.... IMO all could have been avoided if Ref took a beat, stepped in between to separate them while awarding the escape point, put whistle in mouth...

I think #2 official should have caught the green illegal starting pos. He appeared to be looking right at it.
Old 03-13-19, 12:13 PM
All District

Quote:
Micah wrestled for Hartley's MS club. They know him well. He wrestled 1 year at Lancaster and this year back at Hartley.
I believe he only wrestled a partial season there in MS actually. He never attented school there until this past December and he wrestled half of a middle school season a couple years ago. Sorry but I definitely would not say this qualifies as knowing the kid well. If everything is so wonderful at Hartley, then why the pit stop in Cincinnati after exiting Lancaster?
Old 03-13-19, 12:15 PM
All District

Quote:
I think what you meant to say is that coaches TRY to make the best decision for their wrestler. Saying that coaches always make the best decisions is ludicrous. Coaches, like everybody else, make bad decisions all the time.
Yep
Old 03-13-19, 12:27 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
I believe he only wrestled a partial season there in MS actually. He never attented school there until this past December and he wrestled half of a middle school season a couple years ago. Sorry but I definitely would not say this qualifies as knowing the kid well. If everything is so wonderful at Hartley, then why the pit stop in Cincinnati after exiting Lancaster?
You can believe as you wish but I know both the Petrellas and the Norwoods and I can say without question that the Petrellas have coached Micah enough to know him well.

In fact, Paul Petrella came to my school as an assistant my senior year only and I can say without question he knew me as well in one year as other coaches did who coached me through my career. He is an outstanding coach and his son is as well. Did they make a decision that didn't turn out the best? Maybe, but they made that decision based on a season plus of coaching Micah, not a weekend sitting in the bleachers like you were doing. Will they dwell on that for the rest of their lives and wonder "what if"...maybe, but that is something they will deal with. They don't need your opinion.