Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-10-19, 01:48 PM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Martin/Norwood - craziest :06 seconds I've ever witnessed....

I'm surprised that there is not more chatter today about the ending of the Norwood - Martin match... I'm still trying to process WTF happened....

- Norwood gets the reversal with :10 seconds left, .06 seconds they go OB, Up 5-3, match basically over.

- BH coach signals to concede escape 5-4..

... but what I gather happened next is the wrestlers stepped up to the line, there seemed to be conversation between the Refs, or the Ref and the scoring table, whistle from other mat blew, wrestlers made contact...Norwood gets hit w/ 3rd Caution....5-5...

I'd love to see the replay...Tough call to make in that situation to say the least...

Heart goes out to the Kid...from the highest high to the lowest low in a matter of seconds. I know he still had the opportunity to get away in the ride out... Also feel for the BH coach ... don't understand the call to go neutral.....ride him out, break him down...cut him and run if necessary.... I know hindsight is 20/20, but what a tough pill to swallow as a coach.

Brought up in another post, the crowd reaction was astonishing... I assume the crowd was booing the Ref...Love to hear other's perspective.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-19, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
If anyone has video, can you please post it.
Old 03-10-19, 01:57 PM
All District

Ikejfk112 is on a distinguished road
I’m surprised more people is not talking about that match either. That was a crazy ending to a great match.
Old 03-10-19, 01:57 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Don’t understand the “go nuetral” call. A td in six seconds to lose or a caution to tie is way more likely than a reversal. I know I have one coaching decision I still think about and really wish I could take back that cost my wrestler the match - still bothers me and that was in 2009 in the Western Brown Hammer and Anvil Finals. I sympathize with their feelings today.

Crowd reaction was simple. Didn’t like call (I was in tunnel trying to see through a crowd of heads so I can’t comment one way or the other combined with Martin being from St Paris then Martin played to the boos (which I got a chuckle out of).

Last edited by BHiatt; 03-11-19 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 02:00 PM
Varsity

NY_OH Sports is on a distinguished road
Agree completely... Hard to imagine there was anyone witnessing it that didn't feel the same shock wondering what just happened.
Old 03-10-19, 06:09 PM
All Region

blitz56 is on a distinguished road
It was just a bad call by the coach to cut him. Either should have rode him out or at the very least optional start to waste a few seconds.
Old 03-10-19, 06:28 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 will become famous soon enough
Agee 100%
My brother and I were saying WTF when coach tells him to concede escape... and then it gets worse. Felt very bad for the kid.

Ride him a couple seconds, cut him loose if needed, and run.

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 03-10-19 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 06:37 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Tripod optional is your friend there.

As far as the overall match, the wrestler who made the meaningful scoring attempts during regulation and sudden victory won the match.
Old 03-10-19, 08:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Tripod optional is your friend there.

As far as the overall match, the wrestler who made the meaningful scoring attempts during regulation and sudden victory won the match.
Agree on the tripod... and I was watching D1 so I only saw the last few crazy seconds of the match. Iíll trust your take on the entirety of the match, but his coach did him no favors.
Old 03-10-19, 08:16 PM
All Region

szerszen is on a distinguished road
Should have never have gone neutral- period.

I felt bad about the booing- I’m hoping it was about the caution point and not booing a high school kid just because he is from Graham.
Old 03-10-19, 08:33 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerszen View Post
booing a high school kid just because he is from Graham.
Not 'booing' the kid i'm sure...'booing' the uniform is my take?
Old 03-10-19, 08:59 PM
Freshman

tripod20 is on a distinguished road
I would agree with going neutral there were 6 seconds left and he already had two cautions from being on top and did not want to risk another point. The booing was because the last caution called was a horrible call and Norwood should have won the match. The official did an unjust calling and had to sit out the rest of the night.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-19, 09:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Not 'booing' the kid i'm sure...'booing' the uniform is my take?
I thought fans were booing the call by the ref, but you may be correct. (maybe a little of both)
Old 03-10-19, 09:12 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
I thought fans were booing the call by the ref, but you may be correct. (maybe a little of both)
I'm rarely correct, but you may be?
Quote:
(maybe a little of both)
Folks love to boo a uniform.
Old 03-10-19, 09:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod20 View Post
I would agree with going neutral there were 6 seconds left and he already had two cautions from being on top and did not want to risk another point.
When your winning by two, 1 point makes no difference.
Old 03-11-19, 02:59 AM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
I was shocked that the coach told him to cut him.
Old 03-11-19, 05:10 AM
Freshman

tripod20 is on a distinguished road
Exactly one point would not matter so the escape did not matter but if he was on top with all that excitement who knows how many cautions he could have gotten

Old 03-11-19, 05:38 AM
Varsity

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Bad situation how it ended! I feel for Norwood! Coaches shouldn't have cut him afraid of the previous cautions. I would've locked hands with 6 seconds left! I do know Norwood will be on a mission for the next 2 years!!!
Old 03-11-19, 07:42 AM
All District

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
I agree that they shouldn't have cut him. I can also see getting one caution in a match, but two is being somewhat undisciplined in my mind (understand nerves and such play a part). I can't opine on the last caution call, but think that his coaches put him in that position with cutting him. Agree that optional start was a good call if you are afraid of that 3rd caution - not likely to get it in that position.

I was really disheartened by all of the booing. The Graham kid did nothing to deserve being booed - which he was booed again on the podium - very low class.
Old 03-11-19, 08:35 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalsetting View Post
Bad situation how it ended! I feel for Norwood! Coaches shouldn't have cut him afraid of the previous cautions. I would've locked hands with 6 seconds left! I do know Norwood will be on a mission for the next 2 years!!!

Bold strategy, and one that I'm guessing wasn't covered in the practice room , BUT going optional start and dropping into a gutwrench, conceding the locked hands penalty would have probably killed the clock...hindsight being 20-20 and all....
Old 03-11-19, 08:51 AM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
How about an optional start and then when Martin goes to stand up, you shoot back in.... That in my opinion takes up the 6 seconds you don't give up any points. Ball Game!

Booing is stupid doesn't matter if it was uniform or not.
Old 03-11-19, 09:01 AM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod20 View Post
I would agree with going neutral there were 6 seconds left and he already had two cautions from being on top and did not want to risk another point. The booing was because the last caution called was a horrible call and Norwood should have won the match. The official did an unjust calling and had to sit out the rest of the night.

I've rewatched the video multiple times (Video was posted as a comment to a Koballa post about the dirty scramble by Andonian vs Donathan- Can't seem to copy it here). Norwood touched Martin in the head prior to the whistle being blown so it was the correct call by the official.

If the coaches were worried about cautions the situation with the least opportunity to get a caution would be an optional start. As long as you show the ref then not really a way to get a caution and time ticks away as you're kicking him.
Old 03-11-19, 09:34 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidy View Post
I've rewatched the video multiple times (Video was posted as a comment to a Koballa post about the dirty scramble by Andonian vs Donathan- Can't seem to copy it here). Norwood touched Martin in the head prior to the whistle being blown so it was the correct call by the official.

If the coaches were worried about cautions the situation with the least opportunity to get a caution would be an optional start. As long as you show the ref then not really a way to get a caution and time ticks away as you're kicking him.
Thanks for posting the video... Agreed that Norwood touched Martin but interesting that Martin was lined up illegally which was overlooked. I don't think you can't caution both guys, shouldn't the right call have been caution Martin. Reset, then blow the whistle...... Also, the Ref didn't even have his whistle in his mouth, AND unclear if there was a whistle on Mat 3 than Norwood reacted to.... Very unfortunate that it played the way it did.
Old 03-11-19, 09:34 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
When your winning by two, 1 point makes no difference.
It sure did make a difference. Lol
Old 03-11-19, 10:40 AM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
Thanks for posting the video... Agreed that Norwood touched Martin but interesting that Martin was lined up illegally which was overlooked. I don't think you can't caution both guys, shouldn't the right call have been caution Martin. Reset, then blow the whistle...... Also, the Ref didn't even have his whistle in his mouth, AND unclear if there was a whistle on Mat 3 than Norwood reacted to.... Very unfortunate that it played the way it did.
I didn't notice Martin's foot lineup until you mentioned it and I rewatched it. The assistant ref is the one that's supposed to be looking for lineup mistakes on top/bottom but not sure about on feet. Don't know if I've ever seen a double caution. Have seen a double stall though.

Agreed that the ref should have his whistle in his mouth prior to stepping in between them so that reduces chance for false start.

Whole thing just sucks because the kid had an amazing reversal and back points and to lose like that just sucks really bad.

I have no dog in that fight as I'm not biased towards either team just hate to see matches end that way
Old 03-11-19, 10:44 AM
All American

Donkability is on a distinguished road
gotta stay focused at all times! mongoose mick made a mistake in bigs finals optional start and had a lack of focus for one second when lined up wasnt set completely rutgers reached around grabbed his leg easy reverse. Mick had just tied the match up!

always gotta be focused, coach must of felt best to put him up, hes in the corner not us, mr norwood had a excellent facebook post, live and let learn, lifes lessons are more important long term.
Old 03-11-19, 11:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz56 View Post
It sure did make a difference. Lol
yes it did -- but I meant giving up 1 point from a caution on top and then riding out wouldn't have made a difference.

Alex Martin is a great kid. Micah Norwood is as well. They could have some more great matches over the next couple years.
Old 03-11-19, 01:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
yes it did -- but I meant giving up 1 point from a caution on top and then riding out wouldn't have made a difference.

Alex Martin is a great kid. Micah Norwood is as well. They could have some more great matches over the next couple years.
Agreed
Old 03-11-19, 06:20 PM
Freshman

Downtime is on a distinguished road
As usual when it's a close call, EDS, and GRAHAM will get the favorable call. Then when they dont get the call, watch them cry like babies
Old 03-11-19, 08:18 PM
Freshman

Honeybadgerdontcare is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidy View Post

I can't find this post with the video anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction.