Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-19, 09:57 AM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
Barring injury...it never fails to amaze me how many kids get worse following a state placement the previous year.
Too me, there is nothing that should be more motivating than placing at state, but not winning, going into the next season...especially if it will be your last. No names to be mentioned...as they are just kids...
Old 03-09-19, 10:13 AM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
How great is it to have Eds, LaSalle, Elyria just bringing it? When you have two very good teams in Wadsworth and Brecksville taking some lumps (excepting for Vanadia who is on a great run) it shows how good the top 3 are. Plus they all wrestle in a dual and or tournament against each other. I think the Columbus teams need to face them if they ever want to join them. Maybe they did but not to my knowledge other than one of the Westervilles wrestled Eds. Who has Olib wrestled of these? ( just using them as an example not trying to troll)
Old 03-09-19, 10:24 AM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
How great is it to have Eds, LaSalle, Elyria just bringing it? When you have two very good teams in Wadsworth and Brecksville taking some lumps (excepting for Vanadia who is on a great run) it shows how good the top 3 are. Plus they all wrestle in a dual and or tournament against each other. I think the Columbus teams need to face them if they ever want to join them. Maybe they did but not to my knowledge other than one of the Westervilles wrestled Eds. Who has Olib wrestled of these? ( just using them as an example not trying to troll)
I do know Olib has been wrestling Massillon Perry the last few years in duals, including this year Although this year's Massillon Perry team is not as strong as in years past. They are usually a top 5 team in the state and nationally ranked.
Old 03-09-19, 10:35 AM
All American

ProV1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
While Olib does not wrestle in the state duals, they wrestle an extremely tough schedule...Ironman, Brecksville, Wadsworth.
Old 03-09-19, 10:42 AM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well said
Old 03-09-19, 01:04 PM
All District

ottobschot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ottobschot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Yes it was indeed! That's exactly why they are, 'champions' even if they don't win it tomorrow. That was STED wrestling.
Unfortunately, Eds goes 0-3 in consolation semifinals while LaSalle goes 3-2. LaSalle wrestlers understand the importance of not losing focus just because they have no chance of an individual state championship.
Old 03-09-19, 01:09 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooks View Post
Barring injury...it never fails to amaze me how many kids get worse following a state placement the previous year.
Too me, there is nothing that should be more motivating than placing at state, but not winning, going into the next season...especially if it will be your last. No names to be mentioned...as they are just kids...
This comment is a bit short sighted. There are so many variables at play that have nothing to do with how much better a kid got or how hard they worked. Your statement would only make sense if every kid in a weight stayed there and no one joined, only lost the seniors. People move weight classes...what if I was say 6th at 170 last year, a couple people in front of me graduated. I should take at least fourth then? What about the stud 160s and even some 152s from last year that are now 170 ? What if I went up to 182, doesnít mean Iím at least sixth best at a higher weight class.

Stud freshmen come in (esp at lower weights) but we have a couple monsters this year in middle (fishback) and upper (Shumate) weight classes.

I could have won states at 152 but this year I grew and now Iím 160 or 170. Now the two #1 in AMERICA (not just Ohio) are there. So I donít win but that means I regressed according to you.

Doesnít make sense
Old 03-09-19, 01:27 PM
Varsity

Mercurymorris22 is on a distinguished road
Who wins 160lb? Going to be a battle.
Old 03-09-19, 01:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottobschot View Post
Unfortunately, Eds goes 0-3 in consolation semifinals while LaSalle goes 3-2. LaSalle wrestlers understand the importance of not losing focus just because they have no chance of an individual state championship.
Yep the Edís wrestlers have no understanding how important it is.... ? Really? Cudos to Lasalle for making it a race . Very few have.
Old 03-09-19, 03:39 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
Coach Hoversten,
What I mean is not regressed, but simply failed to improve to the next level. Agreed, you can never change the intangibles like who moves into your weight class. It's just that I've seen it too many times where it doesn't make sense. You should get better...and already having some success would seem to encourage greater improvement than coming from no previous success.
Old 03-09-19, 04:58 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
Yep the Edís wrestlers have no understanding how important it is.... ? Really? Cudos to Lasalle for making it a race . Very few have.
Yeah, I didn't get that at all. St. Edward has a history of kids battling back and they have a nice winning % in 1st, 3rd, and 5th place matches so they have a history of finishing.
Old 03-09-19, 05:01 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
What is break down on LaSalle's chances. Win at 138 for sure, they need 2 more wins than Eds in their other 4 matches (vs Eds other 6 matches)?
Old 03-09-19, 05:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Yeah, I didn't get that at all. St. Edward has a history of kids battling back and they have a nice winning % in 1st, 3rd, and 5th place matches so they have a history of finishing.
I quoted another poster. I was being a bit facetious.
Old 03-09-19, 07:55 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
The officiating in this Andonian/Donathan match is absolutely wild in both directions.
Old 03-09-19, 08:22 PM
All Ohio

stonewallJ is on a distinguished road
Looks like LaSalle got some help from the coaching staff... 3 pt team deduction from Ed's "coach" could have been the difference. Gallagher bailed him out with a huge win.

Last edited by stonewallJ; 03-09-19 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 11:25 PM
All Region

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
The officiating in this Andonian/Donathan match is absolutely wild in both directions.
As was the officiating in the Skinner/Fenton semi match. A state title for Skinner was lost due to pizz poor officiating and it affected the team race.
Old 03-10-19, 12:19 AM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post
As was the officiating in the Skinner/Fenton semi match. A state title for Skinner was lost due to pizz poor officiating and it affected the team race.
Your right Skinner had two and was pinned right after he should of had two. If they gave Skinner two and donít call Skinner pinned itís still going to overtime because Fenton escaped back to his feet. Watch match and tell me honestly his shoulders was not pinned.
Old 03-10-19, 02:12 PM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
Anybody have video of this match??
Old 03-10-19, 03:02 PM
All World

cruiser_96 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
Im sure only Russian spies have that match!
Old 03-10-19, 04:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
Im sure only Russian spies have that match!

Dang Russians.
Old 03-10-19, 09:28 PM
All District

gorrilaz12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post

I definently think skinner got shafted
Old 03-10-19, 09:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrilaz12 View Post

I was talking about the DI 145 finals - and somebody already sent me the video - which was awesome of them!!
Old 03-10-19, 10:12 PM
All Region

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrilaz12 View Post

He was definitely the aggressor the whole match. He will use it to fuel him if I had to guess...
Old 03-10-19, 10:32 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntopin View Post
He was definitely the aggressor the whole match. He will use it to fuel him if I had to guess...
He was more aggressive then us this match and lost. We was more aggressive last match and we lost. Sometimes being the more aggressive is not always best.

Like I said before, I think Skinner had two when he got boot in at around 6:45 to 6:50 but I also believe he was pinned around 6:52/53 to 6:56 mark. Both shoulder Blades was flat for 3 seconds. Two at end of match was close but not two. Refs missed a a takedown for him and a pin for us. The ref also stop action to soon after calling Skinner for locking hands as we was about to almost score reversal. Should of let us continue to improve.

I was just surprised in a one point match he didnt go down. Skinner lost that match in the top/bottom part of the match.

Last edited by roughedge; 03-10-19 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 10:55 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Two at end of match was close but not two.
I watched a few times. I agree. It was certainly close.
Old 03-11-19, 06:04 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
He was more aggressive then us this match and lost. We was more aggressive last match and we lost. Sometimes being the more aggressive is not always best.

Like I said before, I think Skinner had two when he got boot in at around 6:45 to 6:50 but I also believe he was pinned around 6:52/53 to 6:56 mark. Both shoulder Blades was flat for 3 seconds.
He never got the boot in and fully extended him or anything at 6:45. He held onto the head and tried to fish for the boots, off balance nearly the entire time of that sequence. I believe, the right call was made and an argument can be made on both sides. He threw in the left leg but never hooked it tight. The ref came around to see the other leg, started to raise his hand as the right leg went in, but once again, never fully locked in to secure. That's why as soon as the bottom wrestler raises his hip, down went the LaSalle wrestler. I agree with the 2nd call as well. After watching this a bunch more and stopping and starting the video, I'll concede that the first situation was much closer than I thought and the second wasn't nearly as close.

I'm not sure it was even two seconds. In that situation or any defensive pin situation, I like to see the wrestler glued to the mat, not like the situation that occurred at state duals.

Last edited by eyes r burning; 03-11-19 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 04:21 PM
All Region

DickShadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingfan21 View Post
I do know Olib has been wrestling Massillon Perry the last few years in duals, including this year Although this year's Massillon Perry team is not as strong as in years past. They are usually a top 5 team in the state and nationally ranked.
MP will be back sooner than later, you can bank on it
Old 03-12-19, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a link or ability to post other championship matches?
Old 03-12-19, 09:10 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickShadow View Post
MP will be back sooner than later, you can bank on it
Glad to hear that. !!! I know the coaching is top notch.
Old 03-12-19, 09:32 PM
All Ohio

tkdn_wizard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallJ View Post
Looks like LaSalle got some help from the coaching staff... 3 pt team deduction from Ed's "coach" could have been the difference. Gallagher bailed him out with a huge win.
ďcoachĒ please elaborate