Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 03-15-19, 12:07 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
Understand context fully....I really didn't see him playing dirty. Come on. I wasn't there to see either team in game 2 but just stuck around to see 2 great teams. I'm sticking up for the player so Centerville fans don't have to on here.



Yes, by the referee who called the 2 technicals standards, Cupps should have received a technical when he stepped a foot beyond the coaches box. And the Springfield coach too who I believe went a foot beyond the box as well at some point in the game.



Can't use the context argument. If an official thinks it's brewing toward over the line he needs to issue a warning. Why wait until the last few minutes to start calling technicals? According to those opposed to my viewpoint, the thing he did to get the 2nd technical was nowhere near as bad as things he did earlier in the game. I just want the rules applied for all 4 quarters, that's all.



Since the point guards behavior was so outrageously unacceptable, how in the world did my favorite official miss all those should be technicals in the first 3 and a half quarters? The answer is that the game speed up and got a little more physical second half, and that official was probably used to officiating division 4 girls games in Gallipolis. How can you explain his horrendous calls to foul out Springfields 2 best players? I wish guys selected to officiate games like that at least have to officiate d1 games all year, at least the majority of their games.
There was warnings being handed out all over the place. #0 was warned numerous times before his first tech and also after, but he continued and received his 2nd. Centebille bench was warned for not sitting. I mean what else do you want if they arent going to listen?

Funny how you say you weren't there for the game yet keep talking like you were. You're sticking up for a player when you have no idea what went down and refuse to listen to others that are trying to tell you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-15-19, 12:11 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
If he was doing it all night and was warned to knock it off then yes it warrants a "T" especially if he's already been T'd up once. Again, just watching a few seconds doesn't tell the whole story. There were extra curricular activity going on all night. If the refs are guilty of anything its "letting them play" too much in the beginning and then calling it tighter as the game went on. As I mentioned in another thread, in the Moeller/LE game the refs called a tight game from the beginning and both teams handled it well. In the Centerville/Springfield game there was chippy play all night and the refs weren't calling it early but started calling it tighter as the game went on. A player needs to understand how that ebb and tide flows especially one with the experience #0 evidently has. Without viewing the whole game it's tough to make a judgement call on just a few seconds of video.

It's tough to see such a talent get T'd up in such a way, but the young man put himself in the position by not cooling it when it was obvious the refs started calling it tighter.
So the implication of this is that whether or not an official actually sees something or not... they can call it anyway? And this is not an "in the opinion of the referee" situation, which still hinges on the fact that they actually saw the infraction.

In the situation of "slapping the ball away" (which he clearly didn't do), and based on where the official is who called the original foul (who said "I didn't see it"), nothing should have been called unless he actually saw it. But he is not the one who called the Technical Foul, the second official that comes in to confer with the first official is the one who called it. If he needed confirmation of the dead ball foul, he obviously didn't see it either if he needed the help. Thus, neither official saw the foul directly and are basing the technical foul on what they "THINK" they saw.

And that's not even discussing the fact in order for official #2 to see the play clearly, he would have been out of position and looking across the lane through players... again, difficult to know for certain.

Given that this technical foul was actually the first although it was 2nd in the video... they gave the kid a T for something 1 official THINKS he saw seemingly because he was out of rotation.


I am not arguing his behavior. Certainly it is a live by the sword / die by the sword attitude. One that I shared as an athlete myself who received a few "T" fouls for my attitude at times. I am not advocating for him to be innocent, especially on the second T (the first in the video). He was stupid to put himself in that situation because as someone accurately stated, he was NOT headed toward HIS free-throw line. He purposefully made contact and flop or not, at that point you are asking for it. Sucks for him... deal with it...

I am simply pointing out that the officials were wrong to deliver the first based on something they DID NOT CLEARLY SEE. There is no opinion judgement to be made because they did not see it based on where the official who assessed the T was incorrectly standing, asked for assistance, got no confirmation, and still decided to assess a technical... that is poor officiating.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-15-19, 12:25 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
Understand context fully....I really didn't see him playing dirty. Come on. I wasn't there to see either team in game 2 but just stuck around to see 2 great teams. I'm sticking up for the player so Centerville fans don't have to on here.

Yes, by the referee who called the 2 technicals standards, Cupps should have received a technical when he stepped a foot beyond the coaches box. And the Springfield coach too who I believe went a foot beyond the box as well at some point in the game.

Can't use the context argument. If an official thinks it's brewing toward over the line he needs to issue a warning. Why wait until the last few minutes to start calling technicals? According to those opposed to my viewpoint, the thing he did to get the 2nd technical was nowhere near as bad as things he did earlier in the game. I just want the rules applied for all 4 quarters, that's all.

Since the point guards behavior was so outrageously unacceptable, how in the world did my favorite official miss all those should be technicals in the first 3 and a half quarters? The answer is that the game speed up and got a little more physical second half, and that official was probably used to officiating division 4 girls games in Gallipolis. How can you explain his horrendous calls to foul out Springfields 2 best players? I wish guys selected to officiate games like that at least have to officiate d1 games all year, at least the majority of their games.
Have you talked to the officials or seen the game report filed by the Referee?

Also, not only do all three on the game work D1 games, they work the league as well.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-15-19, 12:27 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
So the implication of this is that whether or not an official actually sees something or not... they can call it anyway? And this is not an "in the opinion of the referee" situation, which still hinges on the fact that they actually saw the infraction.

In the situation of "slapping the ball away" (which he clearly didn't do), and based on where the official is who called the original foul (who said "I didn't see it"), nothing should have been called unless he actually saw it. But he is not the one who called the Technical Foul, the second official that comes in to confer with the first official is the one who called it. If he needed confirmation of the dead ball foul, he obviously didn't see it either if he needed the help. Thus, neither official saw the foul directly and are basing the technical foul on what they "THINK" they saw.

And that's not even discussing the fact in order for official #2 to see the play clearly, he would have been out of position and looking across the lane through players... again, difficult to know for certain.

Given that this technical foul was actually the first although it was 2nd in the video... they gave the kid a T for something 1 official THINKS he saw seemingly because he was out of rotation.


I am not arguing his behavior. Certainly it is a live by the sword / die by the sword attitude. One that I shared as an athlete myself who received a few "T" fouls for my attitude at times. I am not advocating for him to be innocent, especially on the second T (the first in the video). He was stupid to put himself in that situation because as someone accurately stated, he was NOT headed toward HIS free-throw line. He purposefully made contact and flop or not, at that point you are asking for it. Sucks for him... deal with it...

I am simply pointing out that the officials were wrong to deliver the first based on something they DID NOT CLEARLY SEE. There is no opinion judgement to be made because they did not see it based on where the official who assessed the T was incorrectly standing, asked for assistance, got no confirmation, and still decided to assess a technical... that is poor officiating.
So somehow you know exactly what an official sees or doesn't see?
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 03-15-19, 12:47 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
So somehow you know exactly what an official sees or doesn't see?
No I never claimed to know what he did or didn't see FOR SURE, but based on the context of the game, which I was at, and the evidence provided, you can make a reasonable guess that he wasn't quite sure himself if he needed to ask another official for help, to which the answer was "I didn't see it."

Reasonable doubt, your honor. Thus, not guilty.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 03-15-19, 01:03 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Reasonable doubt, your honor. Thus, not guilty.
Yea but we arent in a court of law where that applies. Kinda like my kids trying to argue with me over whether they should be punished or not. Reasonable doubt my #$@, now take your butt to your room! lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 03-15-19, 01:07 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
No I never claimed to know what he did or didn't see FOR SURE, but based on the context of the game, which I was at, and the evidence provided, you can make a reasonable guess that he wasn't quite sure himself if he needed to ask another official for help, to which the answer was "I didn't see it."

Reasonable doubt, your honor. Thus, not guilty.
How do you know that he didn't approach the official and say, "here's what I have, see anything else?"

I'll answer that for you ----> you don't...... but you are going to criticize what occurred on a guess anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 03-15-19, 01:09 PM
Justice Justice is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-05-17
Posts: 99
Justice is on a distinguished road
simple in my eyes:
Coaches-Coach
Players. -Play
Referees-Referee
Fans -Cheer

Let the best team win.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 03-15-19, 01:09 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
How do you know that he didn't approach the official and say, "here's what I have, see anything else?"

I'll answer that for you ----> you don't...... but you are going to criticize what occurred on a guess anyway.
That's a good point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 03-15-19, 01:29 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Yea but we arent in a court of law where that applies. Kinda like my kids trying to argue with me over whether they should be punished or not. Reasonable doubt my #$@, now take your butt to your room! lol
Very true. Doesn't fly in my house either. But it still doesn't invalidate my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
How do you know that he didn't approach the official and say, "here's what I have, see anything else?"

I'll answer that for you ----> you don't...... but you are going to criticize what occurred on a guess anyway.
Still doesn't explain why he was where he was in order to clearly see the play. If he were in a spot to see it clearly and correctly, first he would have been out of position (bad officiating) AND he would have seen that it wasn't a foul. I am not questioning what he ACTUALLY saw, I am questioning his decision on what he THINKS he saw. What he thinks he saw is not reality and to make a judgement call on that is bad officiating. He got it wrong. And the only reason it is an issue is because it eventually leads to an athlete ejection and sitting out of what will probably be his last high school basketball game, which is unfortunate. If it were an insignificant moment and nothing comes of it, then no one bats an eye. But because he was clearly wrong in what he saw, and there is now video proof (with the understanding that we have that luxury and he doesn't in that moment), there are going to be people who are upset about it regardless.

I would venture to say that if he (the official) saw the replay now, the video we have access to as the public, he would feel terrible and realize the mistake. But there is no changing it, even if he himself petitions to the OHSAA. Just do better next time...

The 2nd one (the flop) stands as called regardless and that is solely the fault of #0. He already had a target on him and he clearly makes contact. Intention has nothing to do with it at that point.

Last edited by StSebastian; 03-15-19 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 03-15-19, 01:35 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
simple in my eyes:
Coaches-Coach
Players. -Play
Referees-Referee
Fans -Cheer

Let the best team win.
Very true and I agree that should be the standard. But if you are a coach and/ or official watching a game with no vested interest for either team but vested interest in the game as a whole when it comes to how players/coaches/officials perform, there is nothing wrong with assessing a situation and having conversation about the integrity of the contest on a message board.

This certainly does apply to the idiots in the stands when holler and yell when they do not understand what is really going on.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 03-15-19, 01:41 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
No I never claimed to know what he did or didn't see FOR SURE,
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post

Still doesn't explain why he was where he was in order to clearly see the play. If he were in a spot to see clearly, first he would have been out of position (bad officiating) AND he would have seen that it wasn't a foul. I am not questioning what he ACTUALLY saw, I am questioning his decision on what he THINKS he saw. What he thinks he saw is wrong and to make a judgement call and that is bad officiating. He got it wrong.

The 2nd one (the flop) stands as called regardless and that is solely the fault of #0. He already had a target on him and he clearly makes contact. Intention has nothing to do with it at that point.
On one hand you admit that you don't know what he saw and then immediately criticize him for calling something he THINKS he saw....

How do you know he got it wrong if you don't know what he saw? (what you saw and what he saw obviously were two different things)

Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 03-15-19, 01:49 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
On one hand you admit that you don't know what he saw and then immediately criticize him for calling something he THINKS he saw....

How do you know he got it wrong if you don't know what he saw? (what you saw and what he saw obviously were two different things)

I know he got it wrong because what he saw vs. what actually happened were different.

The video proves that.

Which he has no luxury to see during the game and hence nothing can be done about it. It is unfortunate. But it doesn't change the fact that he made an incorrect call.


The kid still wrote his own ticket but this T from that official has now been proven to share some culpability. It does not ENTIRELY rest on the fault of the kid which is what people have an issue with.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 03-15-19, 01:54 PM
MoeDude's Avatar
MoeDude MoeDude is offline
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
 
Join Date: 08-06-01
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Posts: 28,588
MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased1
In your opinion philly/moedude, was #1 & #4 for the cats acting the same way? They were prodding & talking the whole game.
I stated there was chippy play all night at both ends of the court. I'm not saying it was wrong or right but the refs definitely let them play early on in the game. But as Philly_Cat stated #0 from Centerville did seem to always be in the middle of it whereas with Springfield is was more sporadic. Again I want to be clear there really wasn't anything dirty going on just chippy stuff that was pushing the limit all night. Why one got called and the other didn't is hard to say sometimes, but we all know there's always talking on the court or in the playing field. One can only guess at what was being said or how a ref was interpreting actions. The bottom line is if you already have one "T" why would you even consider pushing the limit if you know the refs are watching you now?

StSebastian, just a quick question, by any chance are you related to #0? Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 03-15-19, 02:02 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
I stated there was chippy play all night at both ends of the court. I'm not saying it was wrong or right but the refs definitely let them play early on in the game. But as Philly_Cat stated #0 from Centerville did seem to always be in the middle of it whereas with Springfield is was more sporadic. Again I want to be clear there really wasn't anything dirty going on just chippy stuff that was pushing the limit all night. Why one got called and the other didn't is hard to say sometimes, but we all know there's always talking on the court or in the playing field. One can only guess at what was being said or how a ref was interpreting actions. The bottom line is if you already have one "T" why would you even consider pushing the limit if you know the refs are watching you now?

StSebastian, just a quick question, by any chance are you related to #0? Just curious.
No I have no idea who he is. I don't know any of the kids playing for either team. That is actually the first Centerville game I have been to in about 4 years. I am familiar with both Cupps and Carson though which is why I attended. I respect both coaches and it was a highly anticipated game. It did not disappoint!

Only interested in the semantics of the ejection from the standpoint of being involved in HS athletics and officiating myself.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 03-15-19, 02:04 PM
unbiased1 unbiased1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-03
Location: dayton
Posts: 1,416
unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Moedude. I would agree with most of what you said.

4-5 minutes into the game I would have bet the ranch #0 for the Elks & #1 for the Cats were going to scrap before the end of the game. #1 for the Cats was on a mission IMHO to bump, jab, and get into his personal space a lot. And on the other hand, #0 just seems ready to take the bait way too often.

I thought there were too many schemes, flops, flailing....instead of just playing basketball.

Does the other team getting into the other teams huddles not big anyone else?
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 03-15-19, 02:09 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
I know he got it wrong because what he saw vs. what actually happened were different.

The video proves that.
Please share with us the specific reason (noted in the game report) why the technical foul was called.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 03-15-19, 02:10 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Only interested in the semantics of the ejection from the standpoint of being involved in HS athletics and officiating myself.
Are you an OHSAA licensed official?
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 03-15-19, 02:12 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased1 View Post
Thanks Moedude. I would agree with most of what you said.

4-5 minutes into the game I would have bet the ranch #0 for the Elks & #1 for the Cats were going to scrap before the end of the game. #1 for the Cats was on a mission IMHO to bump, jab, and get into his personal space a lot. And on the other hand, #0 just seems ready to take the bait way too often.

I thought there were too many schemes, flops, flailing....instead of just playing basketball.

Does the other team getting into the other teams huddles not big anyone else?
Right, wrong, or indifferent... it is part of the game now.

It is just more annoying than anything... which is the point. Disrupt the mental side of a team and you can effect their play. #0 is a perfect model for this. They poke a prod and the scrappy guy on the team will respond. Gamesmanship (albeit a little cheap). But there isn't much respect you can fit between those two teams when they play each other from the sounds of things. Underneath it all maybe there is from a talent and success standpoint, but neither team is going to go out of their way to play nice.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 03-15-19, 02:17 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Please share with us the specific reason (noted in the game report) why the technical foul was called.
That is not public knowledge so I obviously cannot do that. I am clearly basing my thoughts on the assumption that it was called for "slapping the ball" away from him. What else would it have been for, logically, based on what you saw live or in the video?

My argument under that premise is sound.

If it is different it doesn't hold weight and I cannot therefor make any case for what should or should not have happened.

I've never denied that. It is all assumptive and hypothetical. It is clear that you do not agree with my opinion... so... I can't help you there.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 03-15-19, 02:18 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Are you an OHSAA licensed official?
Would my status or title/position matter in my refutation of this situation?
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 03-15-19, 02:21 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Would my status or title/position matter in my refutation of this situation?
It would be highly unprofessional and totally unethical for you as a licensed official to be making statements as you have as a licensed official about a specific game and event(s) during the game.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 03-15-19, 02:25 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
That is not public knowledge so I obviously cannot do that. I am clearly basing my thoughts on the assumption that it was called for "slapping the ball" away from him. What else would it have been for, logically, based on what you saw live or in the video?

My argument under that premise is sound.

If it is different it doesn't hold weight and I cannot therefor make any case for what should or should not have happened.

I've never denied that. It is all assumptive and hypothetical. It is clear that you do not agree with my opinion... so... I can't help you there.
I haven't given you my opinion on this.

All I have done is ask you for facts on what the official saw and what was the real reason, not speculation from the seats, why the technical foul(s) were assessed... (not to mention what specific conversations were had between official/coaches about the behavior of the kids throughout the game)
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 03-15-19, 02:28 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
It would be highly unprofessional and totally unethical for you as a licensed official to be making statements as you have as a licensed official about a specific game and event.
Discussing the semantics of a situation in a game is not unprofessional or unethical. Nothing I have said is even close to that.

Being out of position IS bad officiating. FACT

If he made an assumption that the kid slapped the ball away, it is the wrong call. FACT

The technical assessed (given that the incorrect reason was for slapping the ball away) played a role in his ejection. FACT

Where does professionalism and ethics come into play? I never questioned his complete integrity as an official, never said he didn't deserve to be placed at this level, or question his experience. Just stating the obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 03-15-19, 02:31 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Discussing the semantics of a situation in a game is not unprofessional or unethical. Nothing I have said is even close to that.

Being out of position IS bad officiating. FACT

If he made an assumption that the kid slapped the ball away, it is the wrong call. FACT

The technical assessed (given that the incorrect reason was for slapping the ball away) played a role in his ejection. FACT

Where does professionalism and ethics come into play? I never questioned his complete integrity as an official, never said he didn't deserve to be placed at this level, or question his experience. Just stating the obvious.
You might want to re-read the Officiating Code of Ethics

Remember this someday when you get blasted anonymously.... At least have the integrity to seek out the officials involved and tell them this to their face.

Things are starting to make sense now.......
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 03-15-19, 02:32 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
I haven't given you my opinion on this.

All I have done is ask you for facts on what the official saw and what was the real reason, not speculation from the seats, why the technical foul(s) were assessed... (not to mention what specific conversations were had between official/coaches about the behavior of the kids throughout the game)
So when presented with the evidence that we have been presented with, and knowing only what we know... where is my argument wrong?

And moreover, am I not allowed to have an opinion given what we know about the situation (albeit without having ALL the facts)?

Never stated it was 100% fact that it was the wrong call. I only stated that if it was called based on him slapping the ball away, it was the wrong call. If that is not the case... I have no comment.

Last edited by StSebastian; 03-15-19 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 03-15-19, 02:33 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
You might want to re-read the Officiating Code of Ethics

Remember this someday when you get blasted anonymously.... At least have the integrity to seek out the officials involved and tell them this to their face.

Things are starting to make sense now.......
And here is where you tell me where I have no business giving my opinion because... I am not a licensed official. So, my argument is now invalid because I need a license to have an opinion?

I am involved with HS athletics and officiating was my statement. Never said in what capacity.


But in the capacity in which I am involved, I have had the opportunity to express my opinion directly when it is warranted. This isn't one of those situations. He was not in over his head, he is a completely capable official. He just SEEMINGLY made a bad call for all intents and purposes. Discussing that has no effect on ethics or integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 03-15-19, 02:40 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,823
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Right, wrong, or indifferent... it is part of the game now.



It is just more annoying than anything... which is the point. Disrupt the mental side of a team and you can effect their play. #0 is a perfect model for this. They poke a prod and the scrappy guy on the team will respond. Gamesmanship (albeit a little cheap). But there isn't much respect you can fit between those two teams when they play each other from the sounds of things. Underneath it all maybe there is from a talent and success standpoint, but neither team is going to go out of their way to play nice.
There is mental toughness that plays a major part in every sport, as well as the physical toughness. It's what separates the talented from the elite. As a coach it's your responsibility to prepare your players for the technical, tactical, physical and mental parts of the game.

I unfortunately didnt get to see Moeller/East game, but based on the Journals reporting it sounds like one of Moeller's strategies was to make everything Weiland did in the entire game difficult. This meant being extra physical with him. I would assume they wanted to physically tire him put and hopefully mentally frustrate him as well and take him out his game. It sounds like that aaa Springfields plan for 0 as well. But the difference is it sounds like 0 is a known hot head, so they were probably banking on more of the mental breakdown. In Weiland's postgame interview he even acknowledged they were purposely making it tough for him and he had expected that.

Even Centerville fans here have acknowledged 0 constantly toes the line and is 50/50 with crossing it. Him and Weiland in my eyes are a great comparison between two top players on their teams. One is mentally tough, the other is not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 03-15-19, 02:43 PM
StSebastian StSebastian is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-14-16
Posts: 266
StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
There is mental toughness that plays a major part in every sport, as well as the physical toughness. It's what separates the talented from the elite. As a coach it's your responsibility to prepare your players for the technical, tactical, physical and mental parts of the game.

I unfortunately didnt get to see Moeller/East game, but based on the Journals reporting it sounds like one of Moeller's strategies was to make everything Weiland did in the entire game difficult. This meant being extra physical with him. I would assume they wanted to physically tire him put and hopefully mentally frustrate him as well and take him out his game. It sounds like that aaa Springfields plan for 0 as well. But the difference is it sounds like 0 is a known hot head, so they were probably banking on more of the mental breakdown. In Weiland's postgame interview he even acknowledged they were purposely making it tough for him and he had expected that.

Even Centerville fans here have acknowledged 0 constantly toes the line and is 50/50 with crossing it. Him and Weiland in my eyes are a great comparison between two top players on their teams. One is mentally tough, the other is not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Well stated!
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 03-15-19, 02:59 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,703
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
So when presented with the evidence that we have been presented with, and knowing only what we know... where is my argument wrong?

And moreover, am I not allowed to have an opinion given what we know about the situation (albeit without having ALL the facts)?

Never stated it was 100% fact that it was the wrong call. I only stated that if it was called based on him slapping the ball away, it was the wrong call. If that is not the case... I have no comment.
You should run for elected public office.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Centerville Football 2018 Recap and 2019 Future ELKSONE Football 39 11-02-18 07:36 AM
Huber Heights Wayne 35 Centerville 21 vamp2syd Football 7 09-29-18 11:50 AM
Centerville Elks 2018 ELK Strong Football 103 08-31-18 09:59 AM
Challenge Game (9/29): Centerville (5-0) at Wayne (4-1) WarriorOne Football 164 10-02-17 09:01 PM
WK 5 : Centerville (4-0) vs. Springboro (1-3) ELK Strong Football 83 09-22-17 09:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz