Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-19, 11:29 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Diva - you have a reply and a bit of Ram ball news.
Old 03-10-19, 10:32 AM
All American

This is pretty obscure and should be a record of some sort. For all of the basketball fans:

Upper Sandusky beat Willard on Nov. 30th at Willard 84-59. The two teams played yesterday in the district final and Willard won 60-36. The boy and I saw both of these games - quite astonishing!

That is a 49 point turn around!!

For those of us who were big Jon Diebler fans in high school and at OSU, I saw a week or so ago that Jon's "rights" had been acquired by the Bulls. John has played his entire career overseas; so, it is interesting to me that at the age of 30, an NBA team still has a vested interest in his career.

Ready for conference championship week to begin and then the NCAA tourney!!! There is always Madness!!!!!

Last edited by Bevo; 03-10-19 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 03:12 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
This is pretty obscure and should be a record of some sort. For all of the basketball fans:

Upper Sandusky beat Willard on Nov. 30th at Willard 84-59. The two teams played yesterday in the district final and Willard won 60-36. The boy and I saw both of these games - quite astonishing!

That is a 49 point turn around!!

For those of us who were big Jon Diebler fans in high school and at OSU, I saw a week or so ago that Jon's "rights" had been acquired by the Bulls. John has played his entire career overseas; so, it is interesting to me that at the age of 30, an NBA team still has a vested interest in his career.

Ready for conference championship week to begin and then the NCAA tourney!!! There is always Madness!!!!!
Incredible when that happens. When I was in high school, our team lost by ~thirty points to a Brookfield team that finished the regular season 18-0 and averaged 80+ points per game. Later at home, we lost by only 15. The two teams met again in the second game of the playoffs and Hubbard won 60-50. We lost the next week to an Euclid team that appeared to be four inches taller across the board. As my dad would say, "the boys played hard". My dad, brother and I ate at the Kent area Arby's after the game, our first experience with that chain. Yum.

I don't know why, but I have not watched my usual # of ACC and BIG games this year - other than Duke and tOSU - and am, too, looking forward to the tourneys. As usual, the women's ACC tournament is being held in town this week. Many $$$ spent to support the local economy. Here's hoping for some great games!
Old 03-11-19, 12:09 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
When I was in high school, our team lost by ~thirty points to a Brookfield team that finished the regular season 18-0 and averaged 80+ points per game.
Hey EagleGuy, thanks for ruining my day. I haven't seen or read anything about Brookfield basketball in years. When I read your post, however, I instantly got "bummed out". Yep, Brookfield defeated the team I coached in 1976 (Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary) by one point (69-68) in the regional finals in Canton. The winner of that game qualified for the state tournament.

Even though I was only 29 years old at the time, I feared that might be my best shot of ever making the OHSAA "Final Four". Well, I was correct! I never coached a team that made the state tournament - all because of Brookfield.

ROCK ON!
Old 03-11-19, 05:43 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Shoot, I wasn't even final four with my ex-wife. Don't feel bad. Take shots.
Old 03-11-19, 08:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Shoot, I wasn't even final four with my ex-wife. Don't feel bad. Take shots.
eastisbest - Love it, but don't worry. I follow a couple old adages about shooting: (1) if you throw enough mud up against the wall, some of it will stick and (2) every miss gets you closer to your next make. I'll always keep shooting.

ROCK ON!
Old 03-11-19, 09:20 AM
All American

When you are hot, shoot. When you are cold, shoot to get hot

Let the games begin!

Nice rally by the Bucks yesterday but Jackson's air ball for the win speaks volumes about this year's team.

Winner of OSU/Indy gets in. Also, the winner then gets to lose in its first game. OSU will have to decide if it wants to host an NIT game and possibly lose at home to a "lesser" school.
Old 03-11-19, 11:03 AM
All American

Just saw that the last surviving child of Babe Ruth has died at the age of 102. Even into her 90's Julia Ruth Stevens threw out ceremonial pitches at ball games and was always present at the National Babe Ruth Little League World Series.

Smith said the Babe was a wonderful father. She devoted her life to her dad's legacy.

Now, along those lines it's always wise to check on the status of former President John Tyler's two surviving grandsons, Lyon (93) and John(89).

Their grandfather was born one year after Washington was sworn in as president. The Tyler men like to marry young (very) young women and father children into their sixties.

Their three generations almost span the entire history of the country. Grandpa John was our 10th. president and served from 1841-1845!!
Old 03-11-19, 11:17 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Wonderful news about Jon Diebler, Bevo! I'll be interested to see what happens there.
Old 03-12-19, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Do you remember this post (#5340)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
True story...

What's in a number...

On occasion I play the Ohio Lottery 3-digit Pick-3 number.

The number I would play most was 439, it was the number on my license plate at the time.
Many years ago (1982) when I lived in Canton, if I had money left over in my pocket on
pay day from the last pay cycle, I considered it 'mad' money (since I don't normally drink
adult beverages or smoke), sometimes I would just sort of blow it. On this particular
occasion; I had $20 left over and decided to dump it all on the lottery number.

439...439... 439...439...

I'm going to play 439; 50 backup, and $1 straight 19 times.
The backup bet would be worth $41.50 if any combo of 439 would come up (i.e. 934)
and $250.00 + 41.50 ($291.50) if 439 would hit on the nose.

Also if 439 is the number, each of the 19 tickets would be worth $500 for a total of $9,500.

Well I'm on my way home and in route to make 1 stop at the local corner store to buy my
tickets with my 'lucky' number. It's Summer, and at the time I had a full size Ford Custom van.
One block for the store, I catch a red light. While waiting for the light to turn green a
convertible pulls up next to me (top down),pretty girl driving, legs that seem to go on
forever. I smile, she winks, the light turns green, she pulls away; I notice her plate number.
I went my one block and played her plate number.

Well the number drawn was 439 that smile then wink cost me $9,791.50.

As Flip Wilson would say...
The devil made me do it!

To this day I don't remember what the number on that top down convertible was.

Moral of the story... Stick with your first instincts.

P.S. I often would play 128 / 256 / 512... first 3-digit number sequences in
power of 2; and I have hit! So if you see 439, 128, 256, or 512 come up in the
Ohio Lottery you know there's a good chance somewhere ohiopup is smiling.

Hawaii doesn't have a lottery, when I get back to Ohio I'll play 439 again...
unless there are long legs in a convertible.

:>---

EGA
Last night *** 439 *** came up!

I didn't play!!!!

PS~ No mad money. + last week 289 came up back to back (289 was Ford's V8 Hi-Po that power Shelby's
first GT-350's)

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 03-12-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 09:02 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
RIP, Hal Blaine - the legendary studio drummer and the leader of the Wrecking Crew passed away yesterday at the age of 90.

Until I read his great book on the Wrecking Crew, I never knew there were such things as studio musicians, or how it was them you typically heard on hit records instead of the actual band members

Here's a clip of Hal in the studio with the Beach Boys in 1966, recording "Good Vibrations":

Last edited by Zunardo; 03-12-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:44 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
RIP, Hal Blaine - the legendary studio drummer and the leader of the Wrecking Crew passed away yesterday at the age of 90.

Until I read his great book on the Wrecking Crew, I never knew there were such things as studio musicians, or how it was them you typically heard on hit records instead of the actual band members

Here's a clip of Hal in the studio with the Beach Boys in 1966, recording "Good Vibrations":

Sad to hear this. You mention that you read his book on "The Wrecking Crew". Have you seen the documentary on "The Wrecking Crew" ? It is excellent and I believe it's available on Netflix. Intererestingly, I just read an email from The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame that paid tribute to Hal Blaine just prior to reading your post. He was inducted in the class of 2000 I believe.

He was the drummer on 41 songs that reached Number One on the charts !
The songs covered a very wide range of artists and what an amazing career he had. An absolute legend, but on the other hand he was almost an unknown by the masses.

JB
Old 03-12-19, 04:18 PM
All American

Very cool clip!
Old 03-12-19, 04:40 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
A tribute to both Zunardo....and of course you, JB.
I must confess that I had never heard of Hal Blaine until now. That is a reflection on me, not him.

Thanks, Zunardo, for that great clip. You brought us something that many of us would never have known.
As for you, JB.....you are a wealth of worthwhile info as always. 41 #1 songs? In the R/R Hall of Fame? I had no idea. Thank you.

This thread is populated with many incredible people.
Old 03-12-19, 05:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
A tribute to both Zunardo....and of course you, JB.
I must confess that I had never heard of Hal Blaine until now. That is a reflection on me, not him.

Thanks, Zunardo, for that great clip. You brought us something that many of us would never have known.
As for you, JB.....you are a wealth of worthwhile info as always. 41 #1 songs? In the R/R Hall of Fame? I had no idea. Thank you.

This thread is populated with many incredible people.

Thanks for the kind words Monclova Steve, I failed to mention that in addition to the 41 Number One chart hits that Hal Blaine played on, maybe his most amazing feat was the fact the he was the drummer on six consecutive Grammy Award Records of the Year winners : 1966, 1967,1968, 1969, 1970, and 1971 !

Now, can anyone name these six Grammy Award Records of The Year ?

JB
Old 03-12-19, 06:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
..Have you seen the documentary on "The Wrecking Crew" ? It is excellent and I believe it's available on Netflix ...

JB
JB, yes I have. I heard it was being shown at OSU Gateway cinema 3 or 4 years ago, and made a special trip see it. Really brought to life all those folks in the book.

Monclova Steve, glad you enjoyed it. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy reading about stuff like that.

P.S. I know the answer to JB's trivia question, I've read that so many times, so I'll recuse myself. But it is impressive.
Old 03-12-19, 07:22 PM
All World

Great info on the Wrecking Crew...thanks!

On the NFL front, it looks like things are improving on the lakefront. The Brownies just traded for Odell Beckham, Jr.:
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019...mylA0MY57jMkWA

ROCK ON!
Old 03-12-19, 08:26 PM
All American

All in on the Brownies!!

Love conference championship week and seeing all of these "small" D 1's get their shot on tv.

Winning is surely relative. Just watch the winning players' faces and the smattering of fans who rush the floor in these 2,500 seat gyms.

Just watched the coach from Fairleigh Dickinson's reactions to his team leaving the court after winning he NEC. Lifers all have a certain "hang dog" look that I love.

His resume tracks perfectly with what I believe these guys are like. Constant small college (head and assistant) jobs, a few D2's, a juco or two - and maybe a high school or even CYO league. Hundreds or thousands of cold gyms and bad gym times and countless Sat. mornings. Buses that may or may not start - everyone pile into the coaches' cars

All for the opportunity to thrust your arms enthusiastically in the air and embrace your players.

Like Coach Dale said, "My team's on the floor."
Old 03-13-19, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

X-1

From my latest acquisition...

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 03-13-19 at 06:57 PM. Reason: z-888
Old 03-14-19, 05:32 AM
All Yappi

X-2

SF
Old 03-14-19, 05:20 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
K-Tel Records Presents "20 Explosive Hits from the Seventies"?
Old 03-14-19, 08:53 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
I am amazed that The Wrecking Crew had such different sounds for all of the people they recorded with. I read the book last year. Very interesting.

Now there are so many incredibly talented musicians out there, so it's not just a select few recording. The original rock and rollers led the way, however, for the next generation to rise and become even better musicians.
Old 03-15-19, 05:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
No cigar....

X-3

SF
Old 03-15-19, 07:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Close, but no guitar? That's still a step up from one of these even lower-budget collections.

I can remember my first middle school dance. No live band, just one of the teachers playing DJ, spinning this album "featuring that fantastic new group" (as the TV advertiser intoned back then).

Last edited by Zunardo; 03-15-19 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:38 AM
All American

Two stories both told before on here or The Huddle (probably both):

In either the summer of '68 or '69 my friend Mike and I went to an ballroom type building in the Findlay Park called Green Mill Gardens (probably a slight reference to Tell
Taylor's 100 year old song, Down By The Old Mill Stream; written in that area of the river).
(Park borders the Blanchard River.)

Anyway, the two of us saw the Lemon Pipers along with a band called The Orange Peel from Florida. There was a raised wooden stage for the bands to set up and in those casual days you could literally sit anywhere. So, we sat on the lip of the stage.

When the Lemon Pipers were playing a rocker (not Green Tamborine) I started pounding on the stage with my fist and one foot. Whether it was me of the band's movements and vibrations, or both, a huge amp tumbled totally (totally!) on top of me. The roadies just wrestled it off me and put it back in place. Nothing else happened.

Alice Cooper played there a ayear or two later. Fortunately for myself and the band I did not attend.

One of the memories seared into my brain was that in j. high we could slow dance at noon in the auditorium after we ate. A good 20-30 minutes of slow dancing. You could actually see hormones shooting out of us like lightning bolts.
anyway, that was all 45's. There use to be dances in high school after home basketball games in the cafeteria until 10:30 or so. Indescribably fun and extremely intoxicating. 45's again.

A friend of mine bought a copy of I Want To hold Your Hand when the song came out...regrettably it was by the Jalopy Five. There were bands in town that sounded better!

(Also, JB abd OWK have a lot of info. on The Lemon Pipers - an Ohio college band - either O.U. or Miami?)
Old 03-15-19, 06:39 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
^^^I'm sure JB and/or OWK can fill in more detail on The Lemon Pipers, a band that has been discussed before in this thread.

I do know they were an Oxford/Miami U. band, but before my days (daze?) at Miami. A couple of The Lemon Pipers later formed Ram Jam, known for the song "Black Betty". I saw Starstruck (another version of Ram Jam) in the late seventies at The Boars Head nightclub (now defunct?) in Oxford. Yes, they played "Black Betty"!

Oh Black Betty, bam da lam
Old 03-15-19, 09:22 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Sports' Full Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Hey EagleGuy, thanks for ruining my day. I haven't seen or read anything about Brookfield basketball in years. When I read your post, however, I instantly got "bummed out". Yep, Brookfield defeated the team I coached in 1976 (Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary) by one point (69-68) in the regional finals in Canton. The winner of that game qualified for the state tournament.

Even though I was only 29 years old at the time, I feared that might be my best shot of ever making the OHSAA "Final Four". Well, I was correct! I never coached a team that made the state tournament - all because of Brookfield.

ROCK ON!
Sorry about that. If it's any consolation, SVSM has owned my Eagles in the football playoffs. And, thanks in advance, for not mentioning that one heart-breaking Hubbard loss. The luck of the Irish, eh?

Last edited by EagleGuy; 03-15-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 11:18 PM
All American

Quote:
^^^I'm sure JB and/or OWK can fill in more detail on The Lemon Pipers, a band that has been discussed before in this thread.

I do know they were an Oxford/Miami U. band, but before my days (daze?) at Miami. A couple of The Lemon Pipers later formed Ram Jam, known for the song "Black Betty". I saw Starstruck (another version of Ram Jam) in the late seventies at The Boars Head nightclub (now defunct?) in Oxford. Yes, they played "Black Betty"!

BlackHawk,

Ah, yes, One Ohio's own definitive "One Hit Wonders". Very nice detail on the lads from Oxford/Miami U. Only a few more odds and ends about the group. . . the got the name of "Green Tambourine" which incidentally went all the way to Number 1 on the charts in February of 1968, from a newspaper article about a British street musician who had a tambourine on the ground that he used to collect donations from passer-byes and his goal was to fill it with money or "green".

The song combined folk-rock and psychedelia with a Bubblegum approach.
You are on the money with the reference to the group Ram Jam spun off from the defunct Lemon Pipers. Lead guitarist, Bill Bartlett eventually became the leader of Ram Jam of "Black Betty" which the group turned into a hard rock version of Blues legend Leadbelly's folk standard.

The lead vocalist of The Lemon Pipers was Ivan Browne who prior to The Lemon Pipers was the leader of a regional band called "Ivan & The Sabers" which he formed while a student at nearby University of Cincinnati. Ivan left that group and replaced a leader named Tony in the group "Tony & The Bandits" and after dropping the "Tony" name that group morphed into "The Lemon Pipers". I think the band members had performed primarily at Oxford area basically, along with the UC area and even ventured into the Ohio University turf in Athens on occasion.

A final bit of trivia on the group "Ram Jam" another "One Hit Wonder" by the way. Seemed like Bill Bartlett had the magic of joining a group and having a big hit once and never again. "Black Betty" only peaked at #18 on the charts in September of 1977 and never achieved the # 1 status that 'Green Tambourine" had 9 years earlier.

Bartlett once stated in an interview that "Black Betty" probably would have peaked higher than # 18 if 40% of the nations rock stations had not boycotted the song, thinking it was an insult to black womanhood, and considered it racist. Civil-rights groups like the NAACP and CORE called for a boycott of the song not realizing that the song had been written by Leadbelly who was black. Bartlett said that he had never spoken with an African-American that felt the song was offensive.

JB
Old 03-16-19, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

THE BEST OF BUDDAH / cover worn but vinyl is near mint.

A1 ~ Honey Cone Want Ads
A2 ~ 5 Stairsteps ~ Ooh Child
A3 ~ Flaming Ember ~ Westbound #9
A4 ~ Lou Christie ~ I'm Gonna Make You Mine
A5 ~ Edwin Hawkins Singers ~ Oh Happy Day
A6 ~ The Isley Brothers ~ It's Your Thing
B1 ~ Gladys Knight And The Pips ~ Midnight Train To Georgia
B2 ~ Curtis Mayfield ~ Freddie's Dead
B3 ~ New Birth ~ Dream Merchant
B4 ~ 100 Proof Aged In Soul ~ Somebody's Sleepin'
B5 ~ Stories ~ Brother Louis
C1 ~ The Lovin' Spoonful ~ Summer In The City
C2 ~ The Brooklyn Bridge ~ The Worst That Could Happen
C3 ~ Jim Weatherly ~ The Need To Be
C4 ~ Ocean ~ Put Your Hand In The Hand
C5 ~ The Jaggerz ~ The Rapper
D1 ~ Lemon Pipers ~ Green Tambourine
D2 ~ Brewer And Shipley ~ One Toke Over The Line
D3 ~ Motherlode ~ When I Die
D4 ~ Sopwith Camel ~ Hello Hello
D5 ~ Ohio Express ~ Yummy Yummy Yummy
D6 ~ Melanie ~ Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)

SF
Old 03-16-19, 11:55 AM
All American

Great to see good friends Melanie, Lovin' Spoonful, Sopwith Camel (one of our better trivia moments), Brooklyn Bridge, Lou Christie, et. al. on this list.

Roaming through some songs this morning I came across The Ohio Express' Beg, Borrow and Steal (yet, another Ohio group). I had a 45 of this. This is the epitome of what garage bands sounded like to me at our local dances. Like the song!

Some guy said he saw The Express along with John Fred and His Playboy Band, American Breed, The Royal Guardsmen and Bobby Goldsboro somewhere in Kentucky back in '68.

Ran into Here Comes My Baby by the Tremoloes (written by a teenage Cat Stevens).

Also, stopped for awhile to listen to Vince Geraldi (CBC) and heard him do Cast Your Fate To The Wind - very nice , along with some others.

Then I found a heretofore unknown song to me by Nico. She of The Velvet Underground and Lou Reed fame. Song (written by Jackson Browne) is THESE DAYS on the album Late Night Tales. I thought it was a great song; anyone listen, let me know what you think. Beautiful tune; wistful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: