Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-19, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Want to Buy A Training Complex?

SPIRE is for sale:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...-for-sale.html
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 03:30 AM
All World

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
This situation is what I was hearing thru the grapevine last year and even mentioned on this forum. They are NOT sustainable in their current format.

I never understood why anyone thought they could build such a site out in the back 40 and make a profit. It has served kids of NE Ohio well; however, it is a LONG drive from other parts of the state if serving Ohio athletes was the goal. Such a facility should've been built in the greater Columbus area, not NE of Cleveland. If they'd done that, they'd be in much better financial shape, IMHO. They could've marketed such a facility to host a lot more sports if they were more centrally located. The business plan for SPIRE was never a good one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-19, 06:22 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
It's a long way from NE Ohio to go to Spire when Akron, Kent and other facilities are much closer to the population.
Old 03-12-19, 08:15 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Agree with everyone else on the forum.

I do love the facility. The pole vault and long jump/TJ areas were much better for coaches than Akron. I also love the seating area, the entrance, warmup areas, and the parking compared to Akron.

With that said, I hope that OATCCC considers moving it back to Akron or a location more centrally located. The extra 1-hour trip both directions for more than 1/2 the state might be a good reason.
Old 03-12-19, 08:51 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
I'm ready to retire next year. I could take it over and run it. I'm in for the first $1000. I would just need 6,999 extra investors.
CVCtrack could help me.
Old 03-12-19, 10:15 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Always thought that the place they put it was stupid. Draw a 4 hour circle around Spire and estimate population.......half of their location is in Lake Erie. Just stupid. Put that thing in Cincinnati and draw the same circle on the map......You reach Indy, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington and much more
Old 03-12-19, 11:51 AM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Isn't Spire mostly used for track and swimming events? .
Two activities that in this country are near impossible to profit from, especially at the HS and University level.
With 100 million spent, I doubt it would matter where it is, unless many other types of events could be attracted to it
Old 03-12-19, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrack View Post
I'm ready to retire next year. I could take it over and run it. I'm in for the first $1000. I would just need 6,999 extra investors.
CVCtrack could help me.
This is “couch cushion money” for cvc.
Old 03-12-19, 06:49 PM
All Region

panott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
Isn't Spire mostly used for track and swimming events? .
Two activities that in this country are near impossible to profit from, especially at the HS and University level.
With 100 million spent, I doubt it would matter where it is, unless many other types of events could be attracted to it
They have soccer, volleyball, and basketball
Old 03-12-19, 07:15 PM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
Built by a guy whose kids were in school at Geneva at the time. He made millions off the government selling cooling devices in the Middle East. Has held on over the years and run the place into the ground. Owes millions in back taxes that according to the article are being paid into 2026. That comes with the investment!
Old 03-12-19, 07:22 PM
All World

I think it's pretty evident that in the not too distant future that SPIRE will no longer be an athletic facility. Amazon distribution warehouse or something else. They may hold onto a few parts of the facility, but not much. It is a shame in that the whole idea is a good one and could work just fine, but certainly not in nowhereville Ohio. Localized in Greater Columbus or Cincinnati and like ccrunner609 said, you've got a lot of bodies within a 2-2.5 hour radius of those spots. Such a shame losing a nice facility.
Old 03-12-19, 08:56 PM
All Region

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Again, it is not the distance from a population. It is about the same distance from Cleveland as Cedar Point. The problem is how much was spent for the activities they host. They should add some coasters and concerts.
Old 03-13-19, 07:56 AM
All World

I would guess that a College/USATF or other group will scoup it up for pennies on the dollar.
Old 03-13-19, 02:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
I would guess that a College/USATF or other group will scoup it up for pennies on the dollar.
Those "brilliant" minds at USATF? Not holding my breath for brilliance out of that organization.
Old 03-13-19, 05:16 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Those "brilliant" minds at USATF? Not holding my breath for brilliance out of that organization.
I don't know JAVMAN, I think buying a multi-million dollar sports complex in the middle of nowhere might be exactly the kind of thing that USATF would do.
Old 03-14-19, 06:50 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathking View Post
I don't know JAVMAN, I think buying a multi-million dollar sports complex in the middle of nowhere might be exactly the kind of thing that USATF would do.
touché
Old 03-16-19, 01:26 PM
Freshman

Denizen is on a distinguished road
This is hardly surprising. It's the equivalent of the Longaberger Basket building in Newark. It's probably hard for the local authorities to pass on a building request like that, but it's a bad long-term investment.
Old 03-16-19, 04:32 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
I don't think this helps to understand the situation but Spire has been for sale for two years according to Charlie Powell.
Old 03-16-19, 10:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
I don't think this helps to understand the situation but Spire has been for sale for two years according to Charlie Powell.
That's kinda what I heard from other sources. The whole thing is not financially viable where it's located at, and you can't exactly lift it (hydraulically) and move it like a house down the road. The suggestion earlier about putting it near Cedar Point or some other resort (like the facilities in Orlando & Myrtle Beach) makes sense. Warm weather climates where bodies WANT to go. No one wants to go to northeast of Cleveland. Sorry to Ashtabula County residents, but dems the facts.
Old 03-17-19, 09:14 AM
All World

So I take it the "school" there isnt really taking off?
Old 03-17-19, 09:49 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
if I came into enough money to buy land and build a Cross Country complex, I would probably get with the OHSAA before hand to make sure if I built it, they would use it. If I also wanted to hold NCAA championships there, I'd probably get with the NCAA people to make sure that the facility and course met NCAA standards and that they might be interested in using it as well. If my goal was to have a CC complex that was to be used by the OHSAA and NCAA, you might think I'd coordinate that ahead before I built it. If it was just for some invites and maybe for some local colleges or something, my efforts and coordination would be with those people. Would I be so arrogant as to ignore people telling me that neither the OHSAA or NCAA are going to be able to use my facility because of location or course size and still expect that just because I built it, it would be used for the State and NCAA championships?

You do not build an indoor track facility to host the NCAA championships that are held on 200meter tracks and just expect that because it's you, the NCAA will change to a 300m track for championships. Money doesn't fix stupid or arrogance.
Old 03-17-19, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
So I take it the "school" there isnt really taking off?
I was there for the 1st time 2 weeks ago for the state indoor meet. After seeing the entire complex, my only thought was that it would have to be booked 24/7/365 to cover the overhead. For as great and as state of the art as it all is, the thing is a monstrosity! I felt like I was at an outlet mall.
Old 03-17-19, 03:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
if I came into enough money to buy land and build a Cross Country complex, I would probably get with the OHSAA before hand to make sure if I built it, they would use it. If I also wanted to hold NCAA championships there, I'd probably get with the NCAA people to make sure that the facility and course met NCAA standards and that they might be interested in using it as well. If my goal was to have a CC complex that was to be used by the OHSAA and NCAA, you might think I'd coordinate that ahead before I built it. If it was just for some invites and maybe for some local colleges or something, my efforts and coordination would be with those people. Would I be so arrogant as to ignore people telling me that neither the OHSAA or NCAA are going to be able to use my facility because of location or course size and still expect that just because I built it, it would be used for the State and NCAA championships?

You do not build an indoor track facility to host the NCAA championships that are held on 200meter tracks and just expect that because it's you, the NCAA will change to a 300m track for championships. Money doesn't fix stupid or arrogance.
Putting together a "great CC facility" would cost a fraction of other sports. Look at LaVerne Gibson.....while a neat course, its across the street from a run down cow farm.

I am sure that a more urban area would be a better place for a national caliber CC course