Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-25-19, 08:07 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Compelling incident involving the baby. It drew a sharp contrast between the two opposing groups. Very hypocritical on the part of Alpha as she risks a conflict in order to retrieve her own daughter.
Old 02-25-19, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
Compelling incident involving the baby. It drew a sharp contrast between the two opposing groups. Very hypocritical on the part of Alpha as she risks a conflict in order to retrieve her own daughter.
Agreed. That was the first time in a LONG time that a scene from this series really had me on the edge of my seat. Even when Negan clobbered Glen it didn't have half the intensity of the zombies closing in on a wailing baby!

And did I see Alpha smirk as the baby was left to die?

And talking about Alpha's hypocrisy, she kept babbling on about the whisperers being "animals", but apparently the women never watched Big Cat shows on the Animal Channel! Can you imagine lionesses letting someone walk up and kill their baby?

Still, that scene left little doubt as to just how repugnant the Whisperers are and that they represent an evolutionary dead end.
Old 02-25-19, 05:05 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Good character with Alpha. I hate her.

I just hope that the battle with the Whisperers does not become overdone like it did with the Governor.

The series definitely has me watching with interest again. Did not think it was possible. Kudos.
Old 02-26-19, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Is anyone else bothered by Alpha's obviously fake southern accent?

(In true Walking Dead fashion the actress who portrays Alpha is British.)
Old 02-26-19, 08:46 AM
All Ohio

Schmitt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Yea they're on the fence with how they're portraying this kid. It would have been better had they had him working with Daryl to get info out of the girl.

What I would like to see is Carol smack the kid in the face the next time he gets all whiny like that. In a post apocalyptic world there is no room for teenage angst.
Give him a break, the kid is horny.
Old 02-26-19, 09:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Is anyone else bothered by Alpha's obviously fake southern accent?

(In true Walking Dead fashion the actress who portrays Alpha is British.)
I thought about that. Didn't they say they were from Baltimore? Even if N. Virginia you have to trek about 150 miles West before you get to accent.

Hers is a very distinct deep South Cajun country accent.
Old 02-26-19, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Schmitt is on a distinguished road
Maybe she relocated from Louisiana to N. Va for a job. I understand what you are saying but its too logical.
Old 02-26-19, 10:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitt View Post
Give him a break, the kid is horny.
They did set that up with him watching other young people pair off. She is kinda cute and besides, reproduction would be a rather high priority post apocalypse contrary to what lotr10 said. In fact, he needs to make a visit to Oceanside in order to help out the ladies there.
Old 02-26-19, 01:45 PM
All World

Quote:
They did set that up with him watching other young people pair off. She is kinda cute and besides, reproduction would be a rather high priority post apocalypse contrary to what lotr10 said. In fact, he needs to make a visit to Oceanside in order to help out the ladies there.
Both good points (Schmitt as well).

Alpha's accent is more slow Southern mixed with slow sinister. Unique to Alpha.

I agree, reproduction would be a bigger priority than the show portrays, but again, without security and walls it would be difficult. Tough to be a Whisperer and have a baby. If they do not have a secure "camp" it is very impossible. Imagine seeing a pregnant walker. Lol. Babies cry period, without a camp you are toast.
Old 02-26-19, 06:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
To be clear PM I agree that once things settled down reproduction would be a big deal post apocalypse. But that means that:

* In the case of the Whisperers they would do almost anything to PROTECT the baby. Alpha mentions that they're imitating "animals" and last I saw animals generally protect their young.

* As for the obnoxious kid, having him act bratty over a crush on the girl is weak screenwriting IMO and results in the series pushing another annoying teenager on us. The fact remains that his running off with the girl at that moment was a potential disaster of epic proportions. It was pure selfishness on his part because he knew that he was condemning 2 people to death with that action.

* Now I do like that he went after the girl at the end of the episode. That IS the correct act - both as a story line designed to make him sympathetic and from the perspective of a horny teenage boy. Sure it's selfish & reckless (Daryl & others are put at risk going after him) but it's easy to understand how given the circumstances the kid would do it.
Old 02-26-19, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

It is a weird accent she's using. My guess is that it's designed to have us hate her even more. The key was in the flashbacks. Usually those are designed to soften a bad character and make us understand why they became such a monster. But in her case, she was pretty much a monster right from the get go of the apocalypse.
Old 02-26-19, 06:27 PM
All World

Quote:
As for the obnoxious kid, having him act bratty over a crush on the girl is weak screenwriting IMO and results in the series pushing another annoying teenager on us. The fact remains that his running off with the girl at that moment was a potential disaster of epic proportions. It was pure selfishness on his part because he knew that he was condemning 2 people to death with that action.
But he did not know this. If you remember he had already left when the two captives were unmasked. He was just keeping a cute girl away from an abusive parent and a pretty miserable life.
Old 02-28-19, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
But he did not know this. If you remember he had already left when the two captives were unmasked. He was just keeping a cute girl away from an abusive parent and a pretty miserable life.
You could be right here as I wasn't entirely certain of the sequence of events.

I still say it was a rash & selfish decision on his part to just take the girl away. IMO it continues the WD's bad habit of creating obnoxious teenagers who act in inexplicable ways, even for teenagers. By this time people who are still alive in the WD world are alive because they've adopted some form of survival instinct. In some it's utter (loony) ruthlessness in others it's extreme wariness.

I just think a kid raised by Carol would have more sense here. What's funny is that at the end of the episode they have the story following a line that makes more sense to me. That is the kid is going out after the girl he's smitten over. This allows them to show a typical teenagers rashness combined with his understanding that running away with the girl BEFORE the exchange was potentially to damaging to the community he lived in.

For sure though it's a sign of just how much this show has improved that we're debating subtle plot twists rather then basic logic lapses.
Old 03-04-19, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
I hope we get flashbacks from the timejump soon, explaining how the groups fractured their relationship. I don't like wanting to hate Michonne.
Old 03-04-19, 08:08 AM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Anyone else think the woman that Alpha decapitated looked kinda like the face from that stupid Momo thing?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-19, 09:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
I hope we get flashbacks from the timejump soon, explaining how the groups fractured their relationship. I don't like wanting to hate Michonne.
Was happy that the show almost reinvented itself but they are quickly falling back into old habits. Unrealistic BS. So the Whisperers have a very rustic camp - if they had a nice camp and wandered out as walkers I'd get it. I used to love Michonne's character, now I am starting to hate her. Her dialogue with Negan was painful at best.

The last thing we need is another long drawn out war with another "bad" leader and 15 moral conundrums in between. Cannot say I disagree with the article below. End the damned show, create as many spin-offs as you want.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk...kdBd0IGtUVa7H/
Old 03-04-19, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Was happy that the show almost reinvented itself but they are quickly falling back into old habits. Unrealistic BS. So the Whisperers have a very rustic camp - if they had a nice camp and wandered out as walkers I'd get it. I used to love Michonne's character, now I am starting to hate her. Her dialogue with Negan was painful at best.

The last thing we need is another long drawn out war with another "bad" leader and 15 moral conundrums in between. Cannot say I disagree with the article below. End the damned show, create as many spin-offs as you want.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk...kdBd0IGtUVa7H/

I'm more optimistic then you IB and I'm giving them credit for having turned the show around but after last nights episode it's back on the brink IMO:

* The whisperers went from being mysterious & scary to being almost silly. Do you know how sickly these folks would be eating raw game and living in large numbers in a primitive camp without any sign of running water? Do they just piss & crap anywhere?

* The smell alone would be overwhelmingly bad and they should be covered in oozing sores wearing those masks. And shuffling around isn't exactly going to keep one in shape and build muscle mass. The kid should have been able to beat up 5 or 6 of them up before being subdued.

* Given the big time jump Michone should be more open to using Negan. Her reaction to his leaving then coming back was silly. To just think Negan couldn't hack it was to simplistic.

But like you said the biggest issue facing the series now is how they handle the Whisperers going forward. What started out as a promising confrontation full of menace is rapidly morphing into camp like a modern day version of the "monsters" from Lost in Space!
Old 03-11-19, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Solid episode last night and the fight between Daryl & Beta was fun.

A usual though the circumstances surrounding any of the larger scale "battles" continue to be silly & unrealistic. I mean the dead attack the Hilltop convoy and all the defenders rush off to fight 10 dead down the road while 20 dead attack the wagon with only a baby and old couple defending it! I get it was so the Highwaymen could come to the rescue but come on.
Old 03-11-19, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Solid episode last night and the fight between Daryl & Beta was fun.

A usual though the circumstances surrounding any of the larger scale "battles" continue to be silly & unrealistic. I mean the dead attack the Hilltop convoy and all the defenders rush off to fight 10 dead down the road while 20 dead attack the wagon with only a baby and old couple defending it! I get it was so the Highwaymen could come to the rescue but come on.

Ha I thought you’d complain that Daryl didn’t just shoot Beta on the street.

I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-19, 04:50 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I thought it was rather goofy when Carol asked the Highway Men if the wanted to watch a movie!!
Old 03-12-19, 06:48 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I thought it was rather goofy when Carol asked the Highway Men if the wanted to watch a movie!!

I didn't mind that, but I'm kind of disappointed that's the reason they gave in. I'd hope there was something more (like water, food) tossed in. Or maybe as simple as letting the Highway Men live at The Kingdom.
Old 03-19-19, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

I really liked how this last episode gave us the reason for Michone being such a jerk to outsiders. After dealing with the devil children I get it now. Overall a very strong episode that provided much needed info to explain why characters are behaving in the way they are.
Old 03-19-19, 08:57 AM
All World

I liked the "worlds collide nature of Michone meeting a pre-dead friend who turns out to be an enemy. I also thought the incident with the kids was sufficient to explain the current posture on outsiders.

One other thought I meant to mention last week regarding the Highway Men; the presence of a black powder rifle was expected at some point and showed up in the warehouse scene. It appeared to be a civil war Enfield or Springfield and just to emphasize the point the dude was wearing a kepi. Black powder could easily continue to be made and, while it would not work in modern semi-auto firearms, it would work well in muzzleloaders. As I stated once before, there would be plenty of lead lying around in old car batteries. I do not know why Eugene appears to have given up on making smokeless gunpowder and reloading bullets, but blackpowder and muzzleloaders would be a good option. They would be effective against the living and to some extent the dead, although, given the need for headshots and the swarming nature of the dead, edged weapons would still be more effective at close distances.
Old 03-19-19, 02:29 PM
All World

Quote:
One other thought I meant to mention last week regarding the Highway Men; the presence of a black powder rifle was expected at some point and showed up in the warehouse scene. It appeared to be a civil war Enfield or Springfield and just to emphasize the point the dude was wearing a kepi. Black powder could easily continue to be made and, while it would not work in modern semi-auto firearms, it would work well in muzzleloaders. As I stated once before, there would be plenty of lead lying around in old car batteries. I do not know why Eugene appears to have given up on making smokeless gunpowder and reloading bullets, but blackpowder and muzzleloaders would be a good option. They would be effective against the living and to some extent the dead, although, given the need for headshots and the swarming nature of the dead, edged weapons would still be more effective at close distances.
Great point.

I too was glad they had the Children of the Corn flashback. I was really starting to get annoyed with Michonne. Really liked the Michonne/Negan dialogue. The more they can show of Negan the better. I did not care for the Governor nor the actor that played him. He was good, but he was no Morgan in Negan. There has been enough foreshadowing to see his redemption coming in some manner.
Old 03-19-19, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
solid children of the corn episode...

A couple of questions.... the kid that got a way was that a boy or a girl.... i could not tell if she was calling the kid Winnie or Winston and has that character appeared anywhere in present time?
Old 03-19-19, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
solid children of the corn episode...

A couple of questions.... the kid that got a way was that a boy or a girl.... i could not tell if she was calling the kid Winnie or Winston and has that character appeared anywhere in present time?

Winnie.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: