Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-19, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road

From BUDDAH

(sort of goes along with George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord")

:>---

EGA
Old 03-16-19, 04:44 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Good memories. I remember (and forgot!) a lot of the songs from ohiopup's BUDDHA album.

How could I forget Superfly Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead"?

Brewer and Shipley's "One Toke Over the Line" was performed on the Lawrence Welk Show. I'm sure Lawrence wasn't too thrilled when he found out what the song was about.

Melanie was always "that Woodstock hippie chick" to me.

There are some other really good versions of Jackson Browne's "These Days", including Browne's version. Glenn Campbell's version is really touching and sad, recorded around the same time he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. 10,000 Maniacs also has a good version (not to be confused with their hit "Theses Are Days"). Tom Rush has my favorite version though...he has such an amazing voice. Great song.
Old 03-17-19, 09:45 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
These Days is so beautiful and sad. Nico's has a Dylan sound it it; Tom R. (has that coffee house, Rick Nelson, Stone Canyon Band, Greenwich Village feel to it) and Glen's is simply a great, melodic interpreter with a great great voice, and player, interpreting a beautiful song in each's own way. Writer, Jackson B. said he wrote it when he was 16.

Still shocked (shouldn't be) when I come across songs like this that I have never heard.

Other "new" songs to me over recent time: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths, The Sundays Here's Where The Story Ends, and Never Do That by The Pretenders, Summer's End by John Prine are just a few.

Major gaps in my listening years .

Last edited by Bevo; 03-17-19 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
#15 of 20

#15 of 20

100 ~ Best Selling Albums Of The 1970's

Recently picked up this book...

It looks like I have some hunting to do...
Titles in bold = I need to acquire

=====

030 ~ Born To Run : Bruce Springsteen

...Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin out over the line...
...Beyond the palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard...

===

029 ~ Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap : AC/DC

3-6-2-4-3-6
...Concrete shoes
Cyanide
T.N.T
Done dirt cheap
Ooo, neckties
Contracts
High voltage
Done dirt cheap...

===

028 ~ Double Vision : Foreigner

on stage (w/ a Harley / Camaro / GTO )

===

027 ~ Wish You Were Here : Pink Floyd

===

026 ~ Don't Look Back : Boston

===

=====

USMC info ...

A rare breed indeed...

Warrant Officers (W-1 thru W-5)

Warrant Officers typically advance from an enlisted grade.

Warrant officers are highly skilled, single-track specialty officers that
provide leadership and training in specialized fields and skills,
grades W-2 thru W-5 is preceded with 'Chief' (ie. Chief Warrant Officer).

Warrant Officers can be pilots.

The device worn is a single bar with background color. (USMC = Red)
W-1 & W-2 are gold bars, W-3 ~ W-5 are silver bars

depicted here A W-1, W-2, and W-5 (W-3 & W-4 akin to 1&2 but silver)

Other US branches are similar but use an alternate color scheme
Army - black / Navy & CG- Blue / Air Force (program suspended) - Light Blue

Director CWO4 Szabo of East Coast Marine Corps Composite Band speaks with his musicians.

:>---

CW-2 SF
Old 03-17-19, 04:15 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
These Days is so beautiful and sad. Nico's has a Dylan sound it it; Tom R. (has that coffee house, Rick Nelson, Stone Canyon Band, Greenwich Village feel to it) and Glen's is simply a great, melodic interpreter with a great great voice, and player, interpreting a beautiful song in each's own way. Writer, Jackson B. said he wrote it when he was 16.

Still shocked (shouldn't be) when I come across songs like this that I have never heard.

Other "new" songs to me over recent time: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths, The Sundays Here's Where The Story Ends, and Never Do That by The Pretenders, Summer's End by John Prine are just a few.

Major gaps in my listening years .
How Soon Is Now? (1985) is probably one of the better-known Smiths songs:

That said, think I prefer Rubber Ring (1986):

https://thepathslesstravelled.wordpr...s-rubber-ring/

Quote:
"Rubber ring" in a way is a lovesong, but not in the conventional way: it is about love for music itself, more precisely: the song is about how, in the darkest depths, it is music that can pull you through and give you new hope and courage. The song in fact is a tribute to the emotional power of music itself, a power which Iím sure we all experienced how strong it is.

The message in the lyrics is clear:
"But dont forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life"
because, as Morrissey sings, "they were the only ones to ever stood by you".

and especially the final words of the last stanza speak for themselves, when the musician takes the word and passes his message to the listener:

"And when youre dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly"

The title refers to a rubber ring people throw in the water when someone is drowning ; the rubber ring can be grabbed to hold on to and not drown. Similarly, your beloved music can be a lifesaver and loyal companion in those times when you emotionally feel like youíre drowning.

Out of the entire Smiths catalogue, I do think this is one of the most underrated songs.

Below are a few recent singer-songwriters you might like:

Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Atlas Hands (2011)

Sufjan Stevens - Mystery of Love (2017)

Old 03-18-19, 03:09 AM
All American

Nico's These Days is featured on the soundtrack to the movie The Royal Tenenbaums, which also includes another artist you might enjoy:

Elliott Smith - Needle In The Hay (1995)

And, from the Good Will Hunting movie soundtrack:

Elliott Smith - Miss Misery (1997)

Old 03-18-19, 10:32 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
R.I.P. - Dick Dale, King Of The Surf Guitar

Sorry to learn of the passing of Dick Dale, the legend. In my opinion,
"Pulp Fiction" would not have been the same without "Misirlou" opening
one of my favorite films ever.

More comments later if I detect any interest from anyone.

JB
Old 03-18-19, 11:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
R.I.P. - Dick Dale, King Of The Surf Guitar

Sorry to learn of the passing of Dick Dale, the legend. In my opinion,
"Pulp Fiction" would not have been the same without "Misirlou" opening
one of my favorite films ever.

More comments later if I detect any interest from anyone.

JB
Off the top of my head, I know I have his Tribal Thunder (1993) CD, among others.

Big loss for the guitar world. RIP Dick Dale.
Old 03-18-19, 11:55 AM
All American

FootballFan 1795 - liked them all. I am a sucker for the lonesome guitar/troubadour song. Really good: My Story Of Love, Rubber Ring, atlas hands - peaceful, ethereal. Indie Music? or just new music to an old hippie!

I have read several lengthy obits Dick Dale today. Seems like his career was always under the radar. Great stuff; I'd call it "Buzz Saw" rock.

One of the things I read said that D.D. was really hurt professionally by the entire British invasion.
Also, that he played into his 80's because he had incurred many medical bills.

RIP - Dick Dale, a pioneer of the vast reaches of rock
Old 03-18-19, 03:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Off the top of my head, I know I have his Tribal Thunder (1993) CD, among others.

Big loss for the guitar world. RIP Dick Dale.
FootballFan1795,

You may want to check out the video on YouTube which has Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn as a guitar duo performing the The Chantays 1963 hit "Pipeline".

The video that is shown is from the beach movie " Back To The Beach" released in 1987 that tried to bring back the memories of those original Beach movies from the mid sixties with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello primarily. Frankie and Annette are now married in the film and parents of rebellious surf teens following in their parents footsteps. Kind of a "paybacks are hell" flick.

Now considered a cult film, "Back To The Beach" also featured a galaxy of former Beach movie vets from "Beach Party", "Muscle Beach Party", "Bikini Beach" "Beach Blanket Bingo", and "How To Stuff A Wil Bikini" among others.

Included in " Back To The Beach", along with Frankie and Annette, were Connie Stevens, Pee Wee Herman, Don Adams, Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr, Edd Kookie Byrnes, Barbara Billingsley, Tony Dow, and Jerry Mathers as The Beaver.

Those double feature Beach movies along with Biker movies, Spaghetti Westerns, and Rock N Roll Horror movies at the local Drive-In theatre was the place to be in the mid sixties on a Friday or Saturday night all summer long. Great memories from the past.

One final tidbit that I nearly overlooked was the fact that actress Lori Loughlin, who is now in the headlines in the college tuition scandal that is involving some celebrities paying thousands and thousands of dollars to bribe prestigious colleges into enrolling their kids with fake resumes, false ACT scores, etc., also appeared in the movie " Back To The Beach". Loughlin played a beach bunny named "Sandi". Seems fitting that a starlet in a beach movie would be named Sandy, oops I mean Sandi ( with an I ). Probably dotted the "i" with a little heart too.

JB

Last edited by Johnstown Benny; 03-18-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 06:21 PM
All American

Remembered seeing Dick Dale and his Del-Tones making appearances in both Beach Party (1963) and in Muscle Beach Party (1964).

From Beach Party, here's Swingin' and a-Surfin':

And, from Muscle Beach Party, here's Muscle Bustle, with Donna Loren:

For some reason, he wore practically the same clothes in both movies, lol.
Old 03-18-19, 07:49 PM
All American

Check out Ashley Campbell doing Remembering and Gentle On My Mind. She's got her daddy's chops

Must see tv - The Chantay's doing Pipeline on Lawrence Welk from May of '63.

Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn doing a raver!
Old 03-18-19, 08:04 PM
All American

"Muscle Beach Party" now there's a blast from the past ! The sequel to "Beach Party" and what an interesting cast of players in this one :

Besides Frankie and Annette of course, we have John Ashley, Don Rickles, Morey Amsterdam, Buddy Hackett, Peter Lorre, Little Stevie Wonder, Dan Haggerty who played TV's Grizzly Adams, and a real trivia question answer in Peter Lupus who was a star of the original TV series " Mission Impossible" back in the day.

An amazing and eclectic list and I didn't even mention Dick Dale and The Del-Tones. Also this had Peter Lorre's final on screen role in 1964. Very similar to the final role of Bela Lugosi in "Plan 9 From Outer Space" considered by many to be one of the two or three worst movies ever made. Lugosi died 3 days into production and they used a body double who kept his face covered by his cape in every scene. Directed by the legendary Ed Wood, nothing more needs to be said. If anyone is curious about Ed Wood check out the film of the same name starring Johnny Depp as Director Wood.

JB
Old 03-18-19, 08:27 PM
All American

Saw Ed Wood; so good it's bad; or, I mean it's very good at showing very bad. Or, we should all be so devoted to our craft and life.

Let your freak flag fly ...or in Ed's case, let the string show on the rocket.

I believe the word "eclectic" in the dictionary names the characters from
Muscle Beach Party.

Saw all of these movies at The Star Theater in Upper Sandusky and was smitten with Anette.

The Star Theater should not be confused with The Star Club in Hamburg, which featured The Beatles doing ten hour all night sets.
Old 03-18-19, 08:58 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Nice, classic licks.

Old 03-19-19, 08:00 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
A big shout-out to my mother's alma mater, Webster County High School (WV). Their boys basketball team won the state championship (class A) this past weekend, becoming the first boys team in the state to go 28-0.

Technically, it's not Mom's alma mater - her high school, Webster Springs HS, merged with the only other high school in the county in 1974, so you can imagine how long a bus ride some of the kids have. But they kept the Webster name, so close enough!
Old 03-19-19, 05:22 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
A big shout-out to my mother's alma mater, Webster County High School (WV). Their boys basketball team won the state championship (class A) this past weekend, becoming the first boys team in the state to go 28-0.

Technically, it's not Mom's alma mater - her high school, Webster Springs HS, merged with the only other high school in the county in 1974, so you can imagine how long a bus ride some of the kids have. But they kept the Webster name, so close enough!
Kudos to Webster County High School. There's nothing like the excitement of winning a state title and going undefeated. My roots are about 50-60 miles from Webster County, so I can really appreciate the accomplishment. Great Job!

ROCK ON!
Old 03-19-19, 06:32 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
FootballFan1795,

You may want to check out the video on YouTube which has Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn as a guitar duo performing the The Chantays 1963 hit "Pipeline".

The video that is shown is from the beach movie " Back To The Beach" released in 1987 that tried to bring back the memories of those original Beach movies from the mid sixties with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello primarily. Frankie and Annette are now married in the film and parents of rebellious surf teens following in their parents footsteps. Kind of a "paybacks are hell" flick.

Now considered a cult film, "Back To The Beach" also featured a galaxy of former Beach movie vets from "Beach Party", "Muscle Beach Party", "Bikini Beach" "Beach Blanket Bingo", and "How To Stuff A Wil Bikini" among others.

Included in " Back To The Beach", along with Frankie and Annette, were Connie Stevens, Pee Wee Herman, Don Adams, Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr, Edd Kookie Byrnes, Barbara Billingsley, Tony Dow, and Jerry Mathers as The Beaver.

Those double feature Beach movies along with Biker movies, Spaghetti Westerns, and Rock N Roll Horror movies at the local Drive-In theatre was the place to be in the mid sixties on a Friday or Saturday night all summer long. Great memories from the past.

One final tidbit that I nearly overlooked was the fact that actress Lori Loughlin, who is now in the headlines in the college tuition scandal that is involving some celebrities paying thousands and thousands of dollars to bribe prestigious colleges into enrolling their kids with fake resumes, false ACT scores, etc., also appeared in the movie " Back To The Beach". Loughlin played a beach bunny named "Sandi". Seems fitting that a starlet in a beach movie would be named Sandy, oops I mean Sandi ( with an I ). Probably dotted the "i" with a little heart too.

JB
I was pretty young when the "Beach Party" movies were popular, so I wasn't very interested in the surf music or the boy-girl romance part, but Eric Von Zipper and the Rats always had me in stitches!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: