Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-13-18, 06:44 PM
Junior Varsity

ThaXFactor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuck View Post
Wow. A lot needs to happen for Columbiana to qualify. I expected them to qualify at the beginning of the season but that 1st 3 weeks was brutal.
Unfortunately, they’ll probably be all but mathematically eliminated after this week’s games.
Good. The EOAC has flopped and I love every second of it!
Old 10-13-18, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaXFactor View Post

So has the MVAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-18, 07:22 AM
All World

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Haste makes waste, schools were in a hurry to leave the ITCL for various reasons.
Old 10-14-18, 10:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Haste makes waste, schools were in a hurry to leave the ITCL for various reasons.
True. They just didn't think anything about the future. They were in such a big hurry to jump jumped out of the plane, that they forgot to check and see if they had any parachutes that worked!
Old 10-14-18, 07:51 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Football participation on the decline it was inevitable. D6 R21 is just too many good teams. OHSAA needs to shift some teams around.
Old 10-14-18, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Kirtland
Mogadore
Norwayne
Rootstown
McDonald
Springfield
Garaway
Columbia
Southern
Steubenville CC
also Western Reserve, Liberty, Columbiana, United
Old 10-15-18, 09:47 AM
All Region

fantastic50 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Big props to Drew Pasteur for having F50 already updated just after midnight.
This year's big upgrade is getting things automated so that my computer can download scores (thanks, Joe Eitel!), run the numbers, build web pages, and upload them to my website, without any real-time work on my part. As long as nothing breaks down, it can run that cycle several times through Friday evening and the wee hours of Saturday morning. It all worked as hoped this past Friday, with the last update coming about 3 a.m., long after I went to sleep.
Old 10-15-18, 10:42 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic50 View Post
This year's big upgrade is getting things automated so that my computer can download scores (thanks, Joe Eitel!), run the numbers, build web pages, and upload them to my website, without any real-time work on my part. As long as nothing breaks down, it can run that cycle several times through Friday evening and the wee hours of Saturday morning. It all worked as hoped this past Friday, with the last update coming about 3 a.m., long after I went to sleep.
Well that was a great idea by you.
Old 10-15-18, 03:54 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic50 View Post
Excellent! I remember the days of just 2 years ago we’d have to patiently wait until Monday or Tuesday for the new numbers to come out, getting them late Friday night now is amazing. And to reiterate, we all love and appreciate all the work you put in to the site, same with Joe.
Old 10-15-18, 04:51 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Football participation on the decline it was inevitable. D6 R21 is just too many good teams. OHSAA needs to shift some teams around.
Region 24 sw has same issue, feels like 2/3 of the best trams from d5 -d7 are in d6, at least in sw ohio.
Old 10-18-18, 12:47 PM
Varsity

fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
How does Rootstown have a starter transfer in from a school 5 miles away and not have to sit out? The Ohsaa comes up with a rule but then doesn't enforce it. I get it kids are kids and shouldn't be punished but why make a rule up if it's not enforced? I just heard about this today and doesnt make sense!
Old 10-18-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfootball View Post
How does Rootstown have a starter transfer in from a school 5 miles away and not have to sit out? The Ohsaa comes up with a rule but then doesn't enforce it. I get it kids are kids and shouldn't be punished but why make a rule up if it's not enforced? I just heard about this today and doesnt make sense!
More information is needed before it's clear if the kid should be sitting out.

Is Rootstown his home district? Students are allowed a one-time transfer back to their home public district without a loss of eligibility. Does he meet any of the other 10 transfer exceptions that allow a kid to transfer without losing athletic eligibility?
Old 10-18-18, 01:48 PM
Varsity

fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
Rootstown is not his home district only facts I have.
Old 10-18-18, 10:32 PM
All World

If the kids family moved, actually moved, to Rootstown it doesn’t matter how far away they lived before.
Old 10-19-18, 06:44 AM
Freshman

AirAttack19 is on a distinguished road
The word I heard from a family in Rootstown is that these four kids all claim the same residency through the same address in a small home that the families of those players split cost. All of these players are Ravenna kids who's home district is not rover land. New HC reportedly played a part in this bending of the rules. Its not right, but Im not sure it wrong ?
Old 10-19-18, 06:46 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAttack19 View Post
The word I heard from a family in Rootstown is that these four kids all claim the same residency through the same address in a small home that the families of those players split cost. All of these players are Ravenna kids who's home district is not rover land. New HC reportedly played a part in this bending of the rules. Its not right, but Im not sure it wrong ?
I know the “renting a house” in the district doesn’t fly with OHSAA. Has to be what they call a legitimate move. Meaning whole family moves.
Old 10-19-18, 11:30 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Is it honestly that big of a deal, you act as if they are D1 caliber players
Old 10-19-18, 08:36 PM
All World

McDonald punches their postseason ticket with a 21-6 win over Western Reserve

Southern also looks like they will have their ticket punched up big on Columbiana.

Southern and McDonald will be extremely tight harbin wise.
Old 10-19-18, 09:18 PM
All World

It’s looking like Springfield is going to be the biggest loser tonight. With Columbia beating Fairview, and them not getting either Southern/Columbiana, McDonald/Reserve or South Range to go their way they are in deep trouble. It’s looking like we may be down to 9 teams realistically having a shot, with the field coming down whether SCC wins out or not
Old 10-19-18, 10:56 PM
All World

Right now barring a major upset we have 7 teams that have punched their playoff tickets:
Mogadore- Also clinched home game
Kirtland- Also clinched home game
Norwayne
Rootstown
McDonald
Southern
Garaway

The last spot will come down to SCC-Fort Fry in week 10. SCC win and they are in and maybe hosting. SCC loses and they are out and Columbia Station is in. Springfield also is barely alive but will need a SCC loss and a major upset. With Joe and F50 being updated I’ll start to look at the numbers and post some projections and scenarios
Old 10-19-18, 11:32 PM
All World

Mogadore- Beat Rootstown and #1 seed. Lose and #2

Kirtland- #2 seed if Mogadore wins, #1 if Rootstown wins

Norwayne- Beat Chippewa and hosting, either #3 if Mogadore wins, #4 if Rootstown wins
A loss to 6-3 Chippewa and Norwayne will fall to the 7 seed of SCC loses, 8 if SCC wins.

Rootstown- Rovers will be the #3 if they beat Mogadore. A loss and they’ll be the #4 if SCC loses, or razor thin margin with SCC if they win.

McDonald- Devils will be somewhere between 5-7, with 2 games determining their fate. If SCC wins the devils will be the #7. If SCC loses, a Columbiana win over EP gets them the #5, an EP win and they fall to #6.

Southern- Indians will be between #5-6. If SCC wins they’ll be the #6 seed. If SCC loses and EP wins they’ll be the #5, and if both SCC and EP loses they’ll be the #6.

Garaway- Pirates will be the #7 if SCC loses, #8 if they win. They are close enough a surprise L2 win could get them in the conversation with McDonald/Southern

Columbia Station- #8 seed if SCC loses, out if SCC wins

Steubenville Catholic Central- A ton of fates will be decided on if they beat Fort Frye. A SCC win and they’ll be #4 or #5, a loss and they’ll be out

Springfield- Need a SCC loss and either Columbia or Garaway to get upset week 10.

Here’s how I have it finishing:
1- Mogadore 9-1, 29.56
2- Kirtland 10-0, 25.60
3- Norwayne 9-1, 20.95
4- Rootstown 9-1, 19.85
5- McDonald 10-0, 18.80
6- Southern 9-1, 18.60
7- Garaway 9-1, 18.55
8- Columbia 7-3, 16.70

9- Steubenville Catholic Central 7-3, 16.35

Last edited by kingpin2010; 10-21-18 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 11:38 PM
All World

Mogadore and SCC both took care of business as expected Saturday. However, SCC got some L2 help and now seem to be in good shape to make it even with a loss in week 10. While we have a pretty good idea now who will be playing week 11, everyone’s seeding is still in the air. We have 3 big games among the contenders that will have a huge effect on seeding, along with 1 game among non contenders that could be huge.

Rootstown vs Mogadore- Huge matchup between 2 top contenders in the region. Mogadore already has a top 2 seed wrapped up, while Rootstown can guarantee the 3 seed with a win. Rovers have beaten Mogadore 2 years in a row.

Fort Frye at Steubenville Catholic Central- This game has massive seeding implication for everyone from 4 on down, and especially Southern since this L2 get would spring them ahead of McDonald. SCC is looking like a win and a 4 or 5 seed, and loss the 8 seed (possibly out).

Chippewa at Norwayne- Bobcats are a pretty strong favorite here and they’ll wrap up a home game with a win. However, Chippewa is a dangerous 6-3 team fighting for their playoff lives and will put up a fight. An unexpected Chippewa win combined with a SCC loss would open the door for McDonald or Southern to host.

East Palestine at Columbiana- obviously neither are playoff contenders but this game has huge implications for McDonald. A Columbiana loss and McDonald will fall behind southern and possibly Garaway

Last edited by kingpin2010; 10-21-18 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 11:29 AM
All World

Going to add 2 more games to the games to watch that could have a major impact on the seeding. Both are toss ups for Garaway and if both go their way they would leap McDonald and Southern if SCC loses.

Danville at Howard East Knox
Warsaw River View at Coshocton
Garaway needs Danville and River View to win

If both lose Garaway will sit at 18.1. If 1 wins they’ll be at 18.5 or 18.55 and ahead of McDonald if Columbiana also loses. If both win Garaway will be at 18.95 and ahead of McDonald no matter what and ahead of Southern if SCC loses. Here’s my update projection, for now I’ll have 1 of those games going Garaways way.

1- Mogadore 9-1, 29.56
2- Kirtland 10-0, 25.60
3- Norwayne 9-1, 20.95
4- Rootstown 9-1, 19.85
5- McDonald 10-0, 18.80
6- Southern 9-1, 18.60
7- Garaway 9-1, 18.55
8- Steubenville Catholic Central 7-3, 17.3

9- Columbia Station 7-3, 16.7

Last edited by kingpin2010; 10-21-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 12:55 PM
Junior Varsity

I feel bad for Springfield. To go 9-1 and their only loss was by 3 points to a 10-0 McDonald team, and be sitting in week 11 is a shame. The blame falls on their league being VERY top heavy. Sebring, Mineral Ridge, Lowellville, and Waterloo were all terrible. Their OOC schedule wasn't bad on paper. South Range, Brookfield, and Columbiana. Brookfield and Columbiana were down, and it's usually a long-shot that both would be down in the same season. South Range is a really good team, their schedule just killed them. It kind of reminds me of when the playoffs only had the top 4 teams from each region. When I was in school in the mid-nineties, we (Crestview) had 3 years in a row (93 was 9-1, 94 was 8-2, 95 was 9-1) where we could have made some noise in the playoffs, but missed out. In 1995 our only loss was to Lisbon 24-18 in OT, and they won D5.
Old 10-21-18, 01:56 PM
All World

Quote:
I feel bad for Springfield. To go 9-1 and their only loss was by 3 points to a 10-0 McDonald team, and be sitting in week 11 is a shame. The blame falls on their league being VERY top heavy. Sebring, Mineral Ridge, Lowellville, and Waterloo were all terrible. Their OOC schedule wasn't bad on paper. South Range, Brookfield, and Columbiana. Brookfield and Columbiana were down, and it's usually a long-shot that both would be down in the same season. South Range is a really good team, their schedule just killed them. It kind of reminds me of when the playoffs only had the top 4 teams from each region. When I was in school in the mid-nineties, we (Crestview) had 3 years in a row (93 was 9-1, 94 was 8-2, 95 was 9-1) where we could have made some noise in the playoffs, but missed out. In 1995 our only loss was to Lisbon 24-18 in OT, and they won D5.
Springfield without a doubt is a top 8 team in this region imo. The problem is along with what you mentioned, this region is stacked and it’s going to require 17 harbins to get in. Drew Pastuer said it best on twitter that it looks like a D3 or 4 region number wise. Then you add in things like SCC getting a stupid amount of points for beating a Canadian team because their enrollment is equivalent to an Ohio D2 school (3.6 points of SCC’s harbin total is coming from that win).

For comparison sake in region 22 they would likely be hosting, 23 and 24 a 5 or 6 seed. Here they are going to be 10th
Old 10-21-18, 04:18 PM
All Region

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Springfield, McDonald and Western Reserve only have themselves to blame when they don't make the playoffs. When you only have one school on your schedule one division bigger than you and play in a conference with teams like Sebring, Lowellville and Waterloo you taking a bad gamble every season.
Old 10-21-18, 05:17 PM
All Region

pcbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Springfield, McDonald and Western Reserve only have themselves to blame when they don't make the playoffs. When you only have one school on your schedule one division bigger than you and play in a conference with teams like Sebring, Lowellville and Waterloo you taking a bad gamble every season.
Let's look at Springfield since they will likely be 9-1 and out of the playoffs. They have 13.5944 points right now with 8 wins.
If you look at Mogadore, they have earned 13.73 points from just beating Norwayne, Geneva, Elyria Catholic, and Meadowbrook.
A large proportion of Springfield's points came from beating Western Reserve. If you subtract that game, Springfield has received 10.45 points from the other 7 victories on their schedule.
Old 10-21-18, 05:33 PM
All World

I don’t think Springfield imagined Range-Brookfield-Columbiana would only have 11 combined wins at this point when scheduling. Range and Brookfield both played brutal schedules this year.

Also the bottom of the league was ridiculously bad this year out of Conference that is something you can’t really anticipate either. Last year Lowellville-Ridge-JM-Waterloo were 6-6 out of league, this year they went 1-11.
Old 10-21-18, 05:34 PM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
Is true that the league is poor this year. Look at the current 8th place points in D6 all divisions.

21 — 15.1278
22 — 9.3056
23 — 11.1056
24 — 10.8076

Clearly D6 21 is crazy this year. Will not be like that every year. It is not easy to get Bigger schools to play the better D6 schools in the warren-ytown area. They just don’t want to lose to the smaller schools, even thought I think it is a no brainer. If you beat a good smaller school that gets 7-8 wins a year you still get V.good L2 points.
Old 10-21-18, 06:27 PM
All Region

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Is true that the league is poor this year. Look at the current 8th place points in D6 all divisions.

21 — 15.1278
22 — 9.3056
23 — 11.1056
24 — 10.8076

Clearly D6 21 is crazy this year. Will not be like that every year. It is not easy to get Bigger schools to play the better D6 schools in the warren-ytown area. They just don’t want to lose to the smaller schools, even thought I think it is a no brainer. If you beat a good smaller school that gets 7-8 wins a year you still get V.good L2 points.
I agree to a point but....
1. The MVAC is going to be poor every year, the bottom tier teams will never provide any points.
2. Region 21 will always be tough, as long as the Kirtlands, Mogadores and teams like that are in it it will be the toughest region in the state to make the playoffs.
3. There is nothing saying you have to play teams just in the ytown/warren area. They may have to look outside to find a D4 or D3 team to play OOC.

The other schools that are getting in all have bigger schools on their schedule either in conference or OOC. I just hate to see schools like Springfield sitting home, they are too good to not get a shot.