Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-14-18, 11:17 AM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Yes it is.

From a Catholic HS point of view, there are barely any CYO football players anymore.

In all of NEO there are 16 teams in 8th grade football.
Half of those teams are combined 7th/8th grade teams.
Not too many of these teams even have 20 players.
The kids say that half of the guys on their teams aren't even thinking of playing HS football.

This has to come home to roost at some point even for the larger football rosters at Iggy, Ed's and yes even Benedictine.

Hope not but I don't know where all these kids are gonna come from to fill out these rosters in the years down the road.
Very true on combining schools to make up a team. Former rivals are now a combined team.

A lot of bigger kids lost to back to their public schools due to weigh limit restrictions in 7th or 8th grade CYO. The bigger kids that used to come over in 4th-6th grade CYO go back to their public school programs in 7th and 8th grade due to weight restrictions that brought them over earlier. You may have a kid like Jaylen Anderson playing D line at 170 lbs for St Gabe's, but if they're public school kids playing CYO they will usually go back. Some big skilled position player don't want to play line.
Old 10-15-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
And the Varsity Cougars dominate the lines of scrimmage and run all over Benedictine last night defeating the Bengals 35-17. And it wasnít even that close. LC may have not had much success on the gridiron the past several seasons, but Benedictine has not beat LC since 2015.

When was the last time LCís Frosh team beat Benedictine?
I cannot figure out the current NCL middle class. NDA cannot beat Benny and Benny cannot beat Lake and then there is Padua looking to move up in the conference pecking order only to always find a way to fall short. Benny has some good players in the lower classes and could be set up for a nice run in the near future but they need to keep them in the program, this is probably their biggest challenge as they continue to build a program in the Welo era.
Old 10-16-18, 09:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Ironmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
So the Baby Bengals pushed aside Lake's Frosh team yesterday 40 something to 0 and it wasn't even that close. I heard that the Cougars only had 17 players dressed and some should not have even been on the field. The sport is dying in the 'burbs and it is just a matter of time until programs like Lake, NDCL, & Walsh get out of the football business.
On the "sport is dying" topic, speaking for myself, if I had it to do all over again, I would have sent my kids to Mentor instead of Lake or any private school. Many of our friends say the same. Not criticizing private education, but depending on where you live (Mentor has excellent schools) there just isn't a clear advantage going private. My brother lives in the north Collinwood area, so his choice was VASJ or Collinwood, so he didn't have much of a choice.
Old 10-16-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
On the "sport is dying" topic, speaking for myself, if I had it to do all over again, I would have sent my kids to Mentor instead of Lake or any private school. Many of our friends say the same. Not criticizing private education, but depending on where you live (Mentor has excellent schools) there just isn't a clear advantage going private. My brother lives in the north Collinwood area, so his choice was VASJ or Collinwood, so he didn't have much of a choice.

Interesting take because I went in the other direction, I think there are some clear advantages. I live in the highest taxed school district in the state that has a great program for high achieving students yet decided to send my kids to private/catholic schools for these reasons:

1) Single sex.

2) Catholic instruction integrated into the curriculum.

3) No "politics of education" affecting decisions that directly impact the kids.

4) Tradition.

5) A more diverse community then that of just a geographic footprint.

Points 1 & 2 are important to mom, the others are more important to me.

By the way, with regards to the sport is dying... I am not so sure I would promote football as a sport if I had a son. I have had concussion related issues as an adult and while I am able to function in society it does really suck at times. I also have numerous teammates that were walking with a cane before their 50th birthday due to football related injuries. In my older age I am not so sure it is worth it.
Old 10-16-18, 03:17 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
Your brother could have had several more choices as far as high schools. Benedictine & St Ignatius are not that far from North Collinwood. Mentor is the biggest school in Northeast Ohio. That's not for all students. Schools with smaller enrollment are more comfortable for some. LC & Benedictine, for example, offer the smaller tight knit atmosphere.
As far as CYO losing steam. The weight limitations are to protect the smaller athlete. In today's world, many are concerned with injuries, concussions, parity. CYO does it's best to offer this. Boys in the 6th, 7th & 8th grade are starting to mature, not all at the same level. For instance; one boy in the 8th grade can be 6'1 230lbs and not be mature enough to handle the grind of football. Where as the 5'6 120lb boy is ahead of the maturity curve and understands what it takes to be successful at football. Now reverse the roles. That's where, I think the CYO protects the players and allows the boys who are not yet fully matured time to learn the sport without worrying as much about, "how are they going to tackle a 230lb running back, when they only weigh 120lb's". The best time to learn to play football is in the 4th thru 6th grades. Contact is at a minimum, fundamentals can be properly taught, which helps to avoid injuries in the future. Proper techniques learned at a young age will carry on throughout the players football career. Why, when the game is the safest to play, are people not allowing their boy to play is beyond me? They wait until he is in the 8th grade, the boy has never played before, has no proper technique, and becomes frustrated because the game is moving to fast for them. This is where injuries can occur, this is what parents see, this is one of the reasons why football is taking a beating with players playing. There are several other reasons. This is what I see as the most common. So to summarize; It's not always to the football players advantage to push them up the ladder to play for the unrestricted weight teams. Very rarely have I seen boys ready for the grind in 2018. Don't get me wrong, there are a few that get it, but not as many as you would think. Believe me, at the 9th grade level, these young men will have their hands full. Why not let them play CYO to learn the game at a pace they can work at?
Old 10-16-18, 06:15 PM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
Your brother could have had several more choices as far as high schools. Benedictine & St Ignatius are not that far from North Collinwood. Mentor is the biggest school in Northeast Ohio. That's not for all students. Schools with smaller enrollment are more comfortable for some. LC & Benedictine, for example, offer the smaller tight knit atmosphere.
As far as CYO losing steam. The weight limitations are to protect the smaller athlete. In today's world, many are concerned with injuries, concussions, parity. CYO does it's best to offer this. Boys in the 6th, 7th & 8th grade are starting to mature, not all at the same level. For instance; one boy in the 8th grade can be 6'1 230lbs and not be mature enough to handle the grind of football. Where as the 5'6 120lb boy is ahead of the maturity curve and understands what it takes to be successful at football. Now reverse the roles. That's where, I think the CYO protects the players and allows the boys who are not yet fully matured time to learn the sport without worrying as much about, "how are they going to tackle a 230lb running back, when they only weigh 120lb's". The best time to learn to play football is in the 4th thru 6th grades. Contact is at a minimum, fundamentals can be properly taught, which helps to avoid injuries in the future. Proper techniques learned at a young age will carry on throughout the players football career. Why, when the game is the safest to play, are people not allowing their boy to play is beyond me? They wait until he is in the 8th grade, the boy has never played before, has no proper technique, and becomes frustrated because the game is moving to fast for them. This is where injuries can occur, this is what parents see, this is one of the reasons why football is taking a beating with players playing. There are several other reasons. This is what I see as the most common. So to summarize; It's not always to the football players advantage to push them up the ladder to play for the unrestricted weight teams. Very rarely have I seen boys ready for the grind in 2018. Don't get me wrong, there are a few that get it, but not as many as you would think. Believe me, at the 9th grade level, these young men will have their hands full. Why not let them play CYO to learn the game at a pace they can work at?
I've seen 6'1 240 DL crush a 150 lb. QB or running back in CYO. That may be worse than getting run over if it's the other way around. My point was that bigger skill position kids are going elsewhere to run/throw the ball in 7th and 8th grade. The weight limit rules that brought kids to CYO originally in 4th -6th grade have the opposite effect in 7th and 8th.
Old 10-16-18, 06:45 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
I was hoping to read something from that 2021 fella from Padua about this weekís game. Itís been years since I saw a Bruin team play. Any thoughts from the Bengal faithful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-18, 08:01 PM
Varsity

NEOhioFootball is on a distinguished road
Their game against Hoban is on Spectrum sports. It was as lopsided as the score indicates but this is more a reflection of the dominance of Hoban than an indictment of Padua. They have a Purdue-bound linebacker, Long, who is the real deal. Returned a kickoff for TD against Hoban and had the game winning lengthy reception against Holy Name at the end of regulation. I think their running back is new after sitting out 5 games for transferring. He looks strong. Their DE and Left Tackle are both playing at the next level. QB is a freshman.
Old 10-17-18, 01:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
I was hoping to read something from that 2021 fella from Padua about this weekís game. Itís been years since I saw a Bruin team play. Any thoughts from the Bengal faithful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benedictine starts 5-6 sophomores on offense. 4-5 sophomores on defense. We'll see what happens Friday. Both teams need to win to make the playoffs.
Old 10-17-18, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Danvers View Post
I've seen 6'1 240 DL crush a 150 lb. QB or running back in CYO. That may be worse than getting run over if it's the other way around. My point was that bigger skill position kids are going elsewhere to run/throw the ball in 7th and 8th grade. The weight limit rules that brought kids to CYO originally in 4th -6th grade have the opposite effect in 7th and 8th.
The difference is the 240 pounder is playing the line. Most times he is unable to build up speed, as a LB can, to make the tackle. Thus making the collision somewhat less as bad. Kids are going public to be with their friends in most cases. Any boy that wants to move forward to a catholic high school should be playing CYO. It's not always the case, but this helps. The other thing I hear "is that a parent is not coaching at the public school". CYO is mainly coached by parents. Not as many football knowledgeable fathers are volunteering to coach as in the past in the CYO. Work schedules, commitment, time, create the lack of interest. This also is causing the departure to public schools. What to do? What to do? It's always something!
Old 10-18-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Interesting game this week for Benny, they play their old DC and a program trying to make a move up in the NCL pecking order. On paper it is a bad match up for Benny too, Padua has a big advantage on the lines plus a couple Seniors who are Div I level recruits to provide leadership on the field that Benny is sorely lacking. That being said Padua has really under performed to preseason expectations yet again; they really needs this game to get into the Region 10 playoffs. I think the Bruins pull this one off but I hope the young Bengals decide to show up and make a game of it.
Old 10-18-18, 09:17 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Interesting game this week for Benny, they play their old DC and a program trying to make a move up in the NCL pecking order. On paper it is a bad match up for Benny too, Padua has a big advantage on the lines plus a couple Seniors who are Div I level recruits to provide leadership on the field that Benny is sorely lacking. That being said Padua has really under performed to preseason expectations yet again; they really needs this game to get into the Region 10 playoffs. I think the Bruins pull this one off but I hope the young Bengals decide to show up and make a game of it.
Padua started a freshman at qb last year and were able to get the W. Padua will be starting a freshman at Qb again this year. Itíll be interesting to see the outcome of year two of starting a freshman at Qb and if it can get polo to 3-0 against carter Padua is also using a freshman and sophomore at center. Along with starting a sophomore at tackle. Two sophomores at receiver.

Should be a real good game and a look into the future of each program.
Old 10-18-18, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
Padua started a freshman at qb last year and were able to get the W. Padua will be starting a freshman at Qb again this year. Itíll be interesting to see the outcome of year two of starting a freshman at Qb and if it can get polo to 3-0 against carter Padua is also using a freshman and sophomore at center. Along with starting a sophomore at tackle. Two sophomores at receiver.

Should be a real good game and a look into the future of each program.
The real difference at this point between Benny and Padua are the Senior Div I recruits. Crishawn Long will be the best athlete on the field and should dominate on both sides of the ball, he should also be a leader for their younger players. More than the coaching match up I think the Bruin Senior players will dictate how well this team does on Friday.
Old 10-18-18, 10:26 AM
All Ohio

LibertyTrails is on a distinguished road
Disagree.

Benedictine will be a state title contender for the next 2 years regardless of what happens tomorrow night.

Padua has made a nice jump under Coach Polo, but there will more than likely be a step back next season.
Old 10-18-18, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Padua has really been exposed in recent weeks, and struggles in a lot of areas. Outside of their few high end seniors, there seems to be quite the drop off. The frosh QB has struggled, as teams have started loading up and are forcing him to beat them. His arm strength looked very suspect to me at this point in his career. They were 0-0 with Walsh at halftime, that in itself is alarming.
Old 10-19-18, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Yet another blowout by the Baby Bengals, this time against Padua with a 40 something to 1 TD style score. Something has to be done to keep more of these kids in the program, this is probably the biggest challenge facing Welo at this time.
Old 10-19-18, 01:37 PM
Junior Varsity

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yet another blowout by the Baby Bengals, this time against Padua with a 40 something to 1 TD style score. Something has to be done to keep more of these kids in the program, this is probably the biggest challenge facing Welo at this time.

The reason why CW has a hard time keeping kids in the program is many fold.

Things that he can control like player development and putting kids at positions they actually should be playing is completely foreign to him.

Padua is a team they should beat but coaching matters and that's why this game is a toss up
Old 10-20-18, 08:14 AM
Junior Varsity

[QUOTE=Auggie;7145776]Interesting take because I went in the other direction, I think there are some clear advantages. I live in the highest taxed school district in the state that has a great program for high achieving students yet decided to send my kids to private/catholic schools for these reasons:

1) Single sex.

2) Catholic instruction integrated into the curriculum.

3) No "politics of education" affecting decisions that directly impact the kids.

4) Tradition.

5) A more diverse community then that of just a geographic footprint.

Points 1 & 2 are important to mom, the others are more important to me.

By the way, with regards to the sport is dying... I am not so sure I would promote football as a sport if I had a son. I have had concussion related issues as an adult and while I am able to function in society it does really suck at times. I also have numerous teammates that were walking with a cane before their 50th birthday due to football related injuries. In my older age I am not so sure it is worth it.[/QUOTE

I boxed a bit when I was a kid and played semi-pro football back in the 80-s and early 90's.No such thing as a concussion protocol. The protocol was "suck it up, snowflake" and get back in the game. Our practices were full go also. I can't even count, nor would I want to know, how many bell ringers I've had. Every time I walk into a room and forget why I did, it weights on me. Knowing what I know now, I would have never encouraged a boy to play football. Not sure I would have forbid it, but I would push him hard towards other sports. I guess that's hypocritical, I love the game but wouldn't want my kid to play it.
Old 10-20-18, 08:19 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Nation View Post
Poor Park....still trying to figure out what happened. Now all we need is for Lake to upset them (I know, I know...not a chance) and he'll really be stumped for words.
Park will go into hibernation. I doubt if he'll even come back with the usual "cheating, dirty play, tilted refs" that was typical of him when the Cougars beat the Lions. The game last night was complete domination by Lake, a total beat down. NDCL got a late touchdown in garbage time, but trust me, the score was not reflective of how lopsided the game was.
Old 10-20-18, 10:06 AM
All District

TRBengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRule View Post
The reason why CW has a hard time keeping kids in the program is many fold.

Things that he can control like player development and putting kids at positions they actually should be playing is completely foreign to him.

Padua is a team they should beat but coaching matters and that's why this game is a toss up
Last night's game was not coached very well, on both sides.

Our young Bengals couldn't stop the run, with Padua's big transfer back a load to bring down. So what does Polo do with his team up 28-14? He passes and lets us back into the game. That game could have ended 28-14.

On our side, the play-calling, as usual, leaves a lot to be desired. But the coaches' decision to squb-kick the ball after we tied the score at 7-7 and 14-14, gave the Bruins the ball at the 40+ yard line each time, and led to short field scores. The reason? Welo didn't want to chance a TD return. Well, kicking with the wind, our kicker being one of the best in the area, would have gone through the end zone. We're having trouble with line play, so give them a shorter field, and add more plays they can run because they're not deeper in their own territory.

We dropped at least a half-dozen passes that would have made a difference. Padua was there for the taking.

My only question is how can our Freshmen drill teams like Lake Catholic and Padua, yet when they get to the Varsity, we have all kinds of trouble? Coaching and lost players to academics or inability to adjust to our school disciplines are probably at the root of things.

The early year numbers on the Varsity was something like 56. Now there are 46, with a couple of injured on the sidelines.

Wish we could have hired Coach Bell.

Go Bengals!
Old 10-21-18, 04:50 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Mike Roberts scores 2 TD's in the Lions win over Miami. He could have had a 3rd TD but was knocked out of bounds at the 2 yard line by.............Jerome Baker.
For the season, Jerome is now second on Miami in total tackles.
Old 10-21-18, 06:05 PM
All Region

Bennyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
Mike Roberts scores 2 TD's in the Lions win over Miami. He could have had a 3rd TD but was knocked out of bounds at the 2 yard line by.............Jerome Baker.
For the season, Jerome is now second on Miami in total tackles.
That is so awesome. My son sent us the link to the play when Roberts caught his first TD, and it looked like Jerome was covering him, but there was a safety there too. Exciting to see these young men at this level. You can welcome Justin Layne there in a year or two as well.
Old 10-21-18, 08:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBengal View Post
Last night's game was not coached very well, on both sides.

Our young Bengals couldn't stop the run, with Padua's big transfer back a load to bring down. So what does Polo do with his team up 28-14? He passes and lets us back into the game. That game could have ended 28-14.

On our side, the play-calling, as usual, leaves a lot to be desired. But the coaches' decision to squb-kick the ball after we tied the score at 7-7 and 14-14, gave the Bruins the ball at the 40+ yard line each time, and led to short field scores. The reason? Welo didn't want to chance a TD return. Well, kicking with the wind, our kicker being one of the best in the area, would have gone through the end zone. We're having trouble with line play, so give them a shorter field, and add more plays they can run because they're not deeper in their own territory.

We dropped at least a half-dozen passes that would have made a difference. Padua was there for the taking.

My only question is how can our Freshmen drill teams like Lake Catholic and Padua, yet when they get to the Varsity, we have all kinds of trouble? Coaching and lost players to academics or inability to adjust to our school disciplines are probably at the root of things.

The early year numbers on the Varsity was something like 56. Now there are 46, with a couple of injured on the sidelines.

Wish we could have hired Coach Bell.

Go Bengals!
There are sophomores starting all over the place. At one point the team was playing with the third center, as the starter was out, his replacement got injured. There were at least 12 passes dropped. Catch the ball before you run. Defense lacks size & experience. not excuses. Just the facts. Team needs to play with more heart. Without a vocal senior leader it's tough. Growing pains are always tough. Beat Walsh, see what happens. Week 11 rematch with Hoban??
Old 10-21-18, 09:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
There are sophomores starting all over the place. At one point the team was playing with the third center, as the starter was out, his replacement got injured. There were at least 12 passes dropped. Catch the ball before you run. Defense lacks size & experience. not excuses. Just the facts. Team needs to play with more heart. Without a vocal senior leader it's tough. Growing pains are always tough. Beat Walsh, see what happens. Week 11 rematch with Hoban??
I donít think winning 4 games against teams that only totaled 12-13 wins combined is going to earn a 8th seed playoff spot.

But Iím not a math guy. I could be wrong.
Old 10-27-18, 08:52 AM
All District

ene456 is on a distinguished road
The Bengals role in 2018 is done. What is Next for the Program?
Old 11-10-18, 10:41 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
No news in Bengal Land? Will Welo be back in 2019?
Old 11-11-18, 07:40 AM
Junior Varsity

TheRule is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
No news in Bengal Land? Will Welo be back in 2019?
Sadly it appears so. And the more relevant question is how many players will be back and not transfer. Quite a few former Benedictine players are receiving honors for their play this past season. CW doesn't have the ability to keep talent.
Old 11-11-18, 10:35 AM
All District

Quote:
Sadly it appears so. And the more relevant question is how many players will be back and not transfer. Quite a few former Benedictine players are receiving honors for their play this past season. CW doesn't have the ability to keep talent.
Good thing for him he had deep ties to Lorber and was hand picked by Chris to get the job.

I don’t get how anyone can be happy or content with a 13-18 record. 6-9 in conference play (3 of those 6 against Walsh) No playoff wins. He took over a team that was 12-1 the previous season and had returning players that contributed to the success of that team. The talent was in the building and he either lost them or for those that stayed, couldn’t get them to perform.

The school needs to find someone that can relate more to the kids and can get the kids to stay+perform.

Just an honest opinion and take on the situation. I’m sure the diehard loyalist will disagree.

Last edited by fac974; 11-11-18 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 11-11-18, 05:41 PM
Freshman

FootballDad8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well the guys that want to go to Beachwood couldnít catch a cold, so thatís irrelevant. Talk to the QB or the two best WRs from this last year Iím sure they would say nothing but good things about Coach Welo. Itís not the Xs and the Os itís the Jimmyís and the Joeís.
You seem to know what youíre talking about. Were you one of the fans yelling the genius advice to kick the ball to Paduaís Purdue commit with 8 housed kick returns. Thereís a lot that goes on inside the game that doesnít get leaked on Yappi believe it or not.
Old 11-11-18, 08:11 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDad8 View Post
Well the guys that want to go to Beachwood couldnít catch a cold, so thatís irrelevant. Talk to the QB or the two best WRs from this last year Iím sure they would say nothing but good things about Coach Welo. Itís not the Xs and the Os itís the Jimmyís and the Joeís.
You seem to know what youíre talking about. Were you one of the fans yelling the genius advice to kick the ball to Paduaís Purdue commit with 8 housed kick returns. Thereís a lot that goes on inside the game that doesnít get leaked on Yappi believe it or not.
Normally I would agree with you. But, Benedictine lost the game. The average starting point for Padua was the 45 yard line. This had a lot to do with the loss. The Purdue commit beat you more catching passes. Directional kicking would have worked. Kick it opposite the Purdue commit. The coaching staff made no adjustments at the end of the game allowing the conference leader in receptions beat a corner to the post to set up the winning field goal. Why? Speaking of adjustments...with 48 seconds to go against Shaker Hts the coaching staff did not adjust to a shell type zone defense to prevent a long pass? Again bad coaching. The 2 best receivers on the team transferred. One to an 11-0 Maple Hts team this season. Why??? The other caught the post pass to set up the winning field goal for Padua.