Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-16, 02:57 PM
Junior Varsity

bsb1817 is on a distinguished road
Food for thought: Not playing High School Baseball

Would it make sense for top pitching prospects to not play high school baseball?

The vast majority of high school pitching coaches are horrible, the lack of arms mixed with the culture of trying to play as many games as possible leads some of the top pitchers in ohio throwing more than 60 innings in 2 months, and a lack of scouting gives no benefit to those trying to play ball in college. For signed and committed seniors, not playing high school baseball would mean they would be fresher, and more prepared for their college fall baseball.

If you are a college prospect who wants to play at the next level, all signs point towards not playing high school baseball. It would give you an extra couple of months to get in the weight room, work on mechanics, and learn how to properly use your body. You would be fresh come summer time when college coaches are actually around, and if summer doesn't go your way, you would still be fresh for early fall when there are still a number of college coaches on the prowl.

Right now this is obviously taboo, so we do not see it very often. However, on paper it would seem to work well. Pitchers face SO many hitters between offseason, preseason, and summer already. Seriously, what is the point of playing school baseball if your pitching coach sucks, you are risking injury due to throwing on shorter than normal rest in sub 45* temperatures, and more often than not, average at best competition?

It just seems to me that with how good player development is now, high school baseball players would be better off with an extra 3 months to their offseason rather than mindlessly throwing in games with no bearing on their college recruitment in any way.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-16, 04:23 PM
All Ohio

Airborne88 is on a distinguished road
How about doing it for the love of the game? How about spending the last 2 months of your high school career with the guys you grew up with? How about letting kids be kids? Why not be part of the team and try to win something? 60 innings in 8 weeks??, God forbid a kid throw 7.5 innings per week, oh the horror!

This idea that kids are too important to be bothered with the sucky kids is horribly destructive. What's he going to do next, tell his college coach that he doesn't believe in college fall ball or early spring ball because he is saving himself for the pros? Sorry coach, I only play when it is warm, there are 50 scouts in the stands, and the opposition meets my level of awesomeness?

If he is such a super star why would his summer be anything less than Cy Young caliber play? Don't like your coach, tuff S*&%. Your teammates aren't as good as you, boy that sounds familiar. Not everyone is full committed, every day for the rest of your life. Your gonna have a boss and co-workers some day that you can't stand either so better get use to dealing with it before the stakes are really high.

I always took every bad situation and turned it into a teachable moment with my kids. Suck it up was a common statement my kids heard. Next thing we are going to hear is about how ball players need safe places and a school advocate in the dug out so the coach won't hurt their self esteem!! If I'm a college coach and I hear a kid is thinking about skipping high school ball because he is too good, he is too fragile to play in HS, then I check them off.
Old 11-17-16, 04:42 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post
How about doing it for the love of the game? How about spending the last 2 months of your high school career with the guys you grew up with? How about letting kids be kids? Why not be part of the team and try to win something? 60 innings in 8 weeks??, God forbid a kid throw 7.5 innings per week, oh the horror!

This idea that kids are too important to be bothered with the sucky kids is horribly destructive. What's he going to do next, tell his college coach that he doesn't believe in college fall ball or early spring ball because he is saving himself for the pros? Sorry coach, I only play when it is warm, there are 50 scouts in the stands, and the opposition meets my level of awesomeness?

If he is such a super star why would his summer be anything less than Cy Young caliber play? Don't like your coach, tuff S*&%. Your teammates aren't as good as you, boy that sounds familiar. Not everyone is full committed, every day for the rest of your life. Your gonna have a boss and co-workers some day that you can't stand either so better get use to dealing with it before the stakes are really high.

I always took every bad situation and turned it into a teachable moment with my kids. Suck it up was a common statement my kids heard. Next thing we are going to hear is about how ball players need safe places and a school advocate in the dug out so the coach won't hurt their self esteem!! If I'm a college coach and I hear a kid is thinking about skipping high school ball because he is too good, he is too fragile to play in HS, then I check them off.
As a summer travel baseball coach in one of the top organizations in the state of Ohio I cannot this post enough.

Hammer meet Nail.
Old 11-17-16, 11:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I can understand concerns of overuse, but are these the kids he grew up with ? High school ball can be pretty fun. He'll never get this time back, and future success isn't guaranteed. This boy is a senior, and no offers ?

Bob Feller pitched to contact at the bottom of the order. His goal 6-9 was to throw no more than 4 pitches to each batter. More arm stress obviously comes from breaking pitches, so how about working on command of 2-seam and a more deceitful change-up ? Mastering these things are all worthy goals, and lesser competition provides the opportunity to do so.

Get better. 1% every day is what my son's coach preaches to shoot for. Try it with the three things I mentioned above, and play school ball. You won't regret it.
Old 11-18-16, 09:37 AM
All District

reggiejackson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne88 View Post

haha great post! Couldn't agree more. I would love to see a college coach's reaction to a player skipping high school ball to lift and "work on mechanics." As for no scouts goes... If there is a player worth scouting, they will scout him in his high school games. Now if you have a son who throws 80, then there wont be any scouts. But its not like RHP who throw 80 are going to be blue chip prospects.
Old 11-18-16, 10:00 AM
All District

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
Airbourne, that was one of the best posts I have ever seen on any high school forum. You hit every major point. Not sure too many college coaches would welcome a kid who was "too good" to play for his high school team. Be a leader and lift your team up, enjoy playing with your friends one last time. But just as important is each game is a chance to compete...the more you can compete in any situation the better. Lifting, running, throwing bullpens is great but facing live hitters with an umpire is better. I am not a big fan of kids specializing in just one sport if they have the ability to play more but NOT playing your chosen sport in high school??? It just reeks of elitism to me, the first thing I think of is a kid who is not going to perform well unless it is 80 degrees, sunny, nice mound, good umpire and great defense behind him.
Old 11-18-16, 04:29 PM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
I agree with all the reasons why you would play HS baseball as posted previously but lets take a real look at this.

Other than football, most all other sports are played at a higher level away from the HS setting. I know "travel ball" is watered down but at the top of the pyramid those teams that are put together have way more talent then 99% of HS teams.

Besides the community factor, if high level players stayed with their summer teams during this time and PLAYED vs other high level summer teams I would believe that it would be better for them then playing HS ball. The only reason not playing HS ball sounds crazy is because your assuming that they wouldnt be playing.

The best players in Canada dont play hockey for their HS they go play Jr. hockey. The best soccer players in europe get signed by teams at a young age and play for their younger teams under the same name.

I love HS baseball and wouldnt want to see it go away but I could see how it could happen.
Old 11-18-16, 04:53 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
First off, there are several high school coaches that are exceptional. There are also several that suck. The same can be said for summer coaches.

No matter the level of play, your kid should never play for someone that would risk your kids health.
Old 11-22-16, 01:54 PM
All Ohio

Airborne88 is on a distinguished road
No matter how you feel about it, there may come a time when most HS sports are eliminated. I would guess Football and both Basketballs would stay since they generate money. But, everything else may one day move towards private club ball. Colleges are starting to do it so high schools strapped for cash may start doing the same thing. You can make an argument for both cases.

However, this post was about the hear and now. If a kid and his parents did something like that it would be frowned upon. It definitely happens, but not too often. That player runs the risk of being a pariah in his community and in the eyes of recruiters. Can you imaging the hard feelings fellow players and families would have during and after the baseball season when they are losing and consider you as the reason why? How about how the player would feel if the team did really well and he missed out on it? I like the previous posters belief about always competing. This would be a huge red flag.

Secondly, kids and parents HAVE to be responsible for the player's health. If they are tired or sore, or just plain out of gas then they have to be willing to pull the plug on themselves or their kid. If the coach asks you do you have one more inning you have to man up and say no. If you see your kid being unwilling to do it, the parent has to get the coach's attention and end it. It happens on a regular basis. I just don't see a coach in this day and age telling a player he has to keep pitching when the player is asking to come out. Coaches are too smart to take that kind of risk on to themselves, nor do they want to have to meet with the AD and the parents later on and explain why they forced a pitcher to stay in.
Old 11-22-16, 03:22 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb1817 View Post
Would it make sense for top pitching prospects to not play high school baseball?

The vast majority of high school pitching coaches are horrible, the lack of arms mixed with the culture of trying to play as many games as possible leads some of the top pitchers in ohio throwing more than 60 innings in 2 months, and a lack of scouting gives no benefit to those trying to play ball in college. For signed and committed seniors, not playing high school baseball would mean they would be fresher, and more prepared for their college fall baseball.

If you are a college prospect who wants to play at the next level, all signs point towards not playing high school baseball. It would give you an extra couple of months to get in the weight room, work on mechanics, and learn how to properly use your body. You would be fresh come summer time when college coaches are actually around, and if summer doesn't go your way, you would still be fresh for early fall when there are still a number of college coaches on the prowl.

Right now this is obviously taboo, so we do not see it very often. However, on paper it would seem to work well. Pitchers face SO many hitters between offseason, preseason, and summer already. Seriously, what is the point of playing school baseball if your pitching coach sucks, you are risking injury due to throwing on shorter than normal rest in sub 45* temperatures, and more often than not, average at best competition?

It just seems to me that with how good player development is now, high school baseball players would be better off with an extra 3 months to their offseason rather than mindlessly throwing in games with no bearing on their college recruitment in any way.
If you are committed to a D1 college program the college coach is talking to the high school coach. Your innings and pitch count are capped. You are on a strict rotation. I have not seen a high school coach tell a college coach to get bent and pitch the kid as much as he wanted.

College coaches still want to see you be competitive. They want to see what your attitude and mindset are when the chips are down. None of them will tell you to take your senior year off unless your coach was abusing your arm.
Old 11-23-16, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Most college coaches don't even know who the local high school coach is, let alone consult with him regarding capping the amount of innings any college pitching recruit should throw, regardless of college division. With so many high school games being effected by our wonderful Spring weather, it's not that uncommon to see many local high school coaches leave their #1 pitcher on the mound all too long, pursuing that all important W, while allowing a kid to pile up extremely high pitch counts. So often there is such a drop off in talent when a team goes to their bullpen, high school coaches just will do most anything to secure a win, including over working their # 1 pitcher, especially during league games. We have seen numerous posts here about high school coaches leaving pitchers in to accumulate up to 170 pitches in a game. From my experience, college coaches communicate more with the various top travel program coaches regarding any one pitching recruit, as that's where most of the recruiting and scouting of any player is done. These programs have much deeper and talented pitching staffs, and the chance of seeing one college pitching prospect pile up huge pitch counts is not nearly as high, unlike during the high school season.
Old 11-23-16, 02:01 PM
Varsity

Throwing Strikes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
As a summer travel baseball coach in one of the top organizations in the state of Ohio I cannot this post enough.

Hammer meet Nail.
Yikes what an awful post! I could not disagree more on every level. As for you Mr. "High End Travel ball guy", for every 1 of you patting yourself on the back for how great you are their are many many many more daddy ball travel coaches that don't know baseball. Its coaches like you that post on here that continue to want to ruin High School sports for the mere "money grab" that you can charge parents to play for your "top organization". I have several buddies who kids play for "top organizations" whose coaches are bad as well and do it for the stipen they pay you guys as well. Summer ball has its place and that's after high school ball is over. Keep chasing the money Mr. super summer coach charge these kiddos $2/3000 for the summer and I'll enjoy watching kids pay $100 and get top level training, free uniforms, great facilities and former D-1 pitching coaches leading pitching staffs. Unbelievable.
Old 11-23-16, 05:02 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
Yikes what an awful post! I could not disagree more on every level. As for you Mr. "High End Travel ball guy", for every 1 of you patting yourself on the back for how great you are their are many many many more daddy ball travel coaches that don't know baseball. Its coaches like you that post on here that continue to want to ruin High School sports for the mere "money grab" that you can charge parents to play for your "top organization". I have several buddies who kids play for "top organizations" whose coaches are bad as well and do it for the stipen they pay you guys as well. Summer ball has its place and that's after high school ball is over. Keep chasing the money Mr. super summer coach charge these kiddos $2/3000 for the summer and I'll enjoy watching kids pay $100 and get top level training, free uniforms, great facilities and former D-1 pitching coaches leading pitching staffs. Unbelievable.
Pretty sure he disagrees with not playing high school ball.
Old 11-23-16, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Pretty sure he disagrees with not playing high school ball.
Maybe they clap when they hate someone where Throwing comes from......
Old 11-23-16, 08:00 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Maybe they clap when they hate someone where Throwing comes from......
I guess.

To touch on the subject. Most kids regret not playing sports their senior yr of high school. Knowing that, how could you as a parent stand behind that decision.
Old 11-23-16, 08:05 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
It's sad that there has to be a rule regarding pitch counts. Quality coaches would never let this be an issue.

As far as college coaches talking to high school coaches, i agree it doesn't happen much, but a good high school coach will get his players information out there. Part of that info is where the kid plays during the summer.

Another part of a good coach is to not oversell a kid at a level that he is not.
Old 11-23-16, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

My kid plays a pretty high level of summer ball, he will play in college, and he can't wait for his last year of school ball to start. Wouldn't miss it. He wants his picture in the school's athletic HoF and on the wall of the locker room hallway with previous standouts. He looks forward to being one of the big dogs with a few kids he played T-ball and coach pitch with, the other kids I threw BP and teased along with him. He can't wait. It was never even a question. Players play.
Old 11-24-16, 11:11 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
My kid plays a pretty high level of summer ball, he will play in college, and he can't wait for his last year of school ball to start. Wouldn't miss it. He wants his picture in the school's athletic HoF and on the wall of the locker room hallway with previous standouts. He looks forward to being one of the big dogs with a few kids he played T-ball and coach pitch with, the other kids I threw BP and teased along with him. He can't wait. It was never even a question. Players play.
I couldn't agree more. My post was harsh BUT I'm sick and tired of the these "big time" coaches/programs bashing high school sports. My daughter plays high end club soccer and they are pushing this DA league which tells them they must not play high school, practice 4/5 days per week (year round) and not play any other sports....period. High School sports have their place in athletics and it's a money grab for these other programs who want that cash year round. Rant over and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-24-16, 08:34 PM
Varsity

southwest1 is on a distinguished road
You only get to experience high school once in your life, play with your friends/classmates.
Don't miss out on the memories and friendships. They will last longer than your baseball career.
Old 11-25-16, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I would almost go as far as to say I am not sure I would someone pitching on your collegiate team who was that self centered and arrogant. Now....how good he was may change that thought but I have seen colleges get turned off of a guy for a myriad of reasons as they know there are dozens, if not hundreds, of lil Johnies out there to recruit to take his place.
Old 11-26-16, 01:50 AM
All World

Quote:
I'm confused. I am 100% against not playing high school ball. $2,000-$3,000?? Those numbers are astronomical.
Old 11-26-16, 03:48 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
I'm confused. I am 100% against not playing high school ball. $2,000-$3,000?? Those numbers are astronomical.
I am confused also. Pretty sure Throwing is confused too
Old 11-26-16, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He already said "Uncle!", Ted. Let him up.

Quote:
......Rant over and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
bully....
Old 11-27-16, 10:45 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Well I'm not confused at all. There are many programs in Southwest Ohio that charge crazy fees to play on teams. Also figure in gas money, hotel costs, uniform costs. The gas to travel to tourneys & practices all over the city. I have friends that kids play for Midland and it's a 45min drive one way for practice and hitting etc. I would almost imagine some parents could pay more than 2/3k per summer team with all the costs associated. I helped on a summer team when I was free this past summer and we carried 13 players and it was 2k a player that was with uniforms and everything & 6-8 tourneys I believe.
Old 11-27-16, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Let Homer show you the way.....

Old 11-27-16, 11:45 PM
All World

Ok, what just happened. Lol.
Old 11-28-16, 12:35 AM
Junior Varsity

bsb1817 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well I'm not confused at all. There are many programs in Southwest Ohio that charge crazy fees to play on teams. Also figure in gas money, hotel costs, uniform costs. The gas to travel to tourneys & practices all over the city. I have friends that kids play for Midland and it's a 45min drive one way for practice and hitting etc. I would almost imagine some parents could pay more than 2/3k per summer team with all the costs associated. I helped on a summer team when I was free this past summer and we carried 13 players and it was 2k a player that was with uniforms and everything & 6-8 tourneys I believe.
I think you are mistaken when it comes to midland. They have ONE team that plays for free. The rest pay between 1500-2000, with none of their travel costs included. The Redskins do not pay for anything, but that is one of about 12 teams they have. If every summer organization hosted tournaments and round robins at their own field and used all of their other teams to generate revenue, I'm sure they could all do exactly what midland is doing with making one team free.
Old 11-28-16, 10:05 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb1817 View Post
I think you are mistaken when it comes to midland. They have ONE team that plays for free. The rest pay between 1500-2000, with none of their travel costs included. The Redskins do not pay for anything, but that is one of about 12 teams they have. If every summer organization hosted tournaments and round robins at their own field and used all of their other teams to generate revenue, I'm sure they could all do exactly what midland is doing with making one team free.
I wasn't talking about Midland in general I was talking about parents on teams with traveling expenses etc. that could top 2/3k per summer team. I did ask my friend who's son does play for Midland and its 1,500 BUT that does cover hotel costs for his kid.
Old 11-28-16, 04:14 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Ok which has zero to do with the thread.

You went off on a guy that likes kids to play high school ball and happens to coach a select team.
Old 11-28-16, 04:15 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Midland in general I was talking about parents on teams with traveling expenses etc. that could top 2/3k per summer team. I did ask my friend who's son does play for Midland and its 1,500 BUT that does cover hotel costs for his kid.
Why do you care what others spend? If they find value in it then so be it.